Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Trek Online

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

A sci-fi MMORPG developed by Cryptic Studios and Perpetual Entertainment which allows players to fight amongst the ranks of Starfleet, join the Klingon Empire, or rebuild a Romulan homeworld.

Star Trek License

ManSphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By ManSphere

I've always liked Star Trek.  TOS Movies are my firstborn, DS9 is my favorite, and Enterprise is the red headed stepchild. 

As I wait for STO to download ($6.47 from Amazon), I can't help but think of the days when Star Trek was a bankable gaming franchise.  I remember all the games that arrived after First Contact.  Armada was my favorite.  

I wonder now why there weren't a slew of games released for Star Trek (2009).  Though, with all the shit put together these days, It's probably better that the new Star Trek franchise is spared its equivalents of SW: Bounty Hunter, SW: Super Bombad Racing, Marvel Nemesis, GI JOE: Rise of Cobra, and anything made with the Transformers license.   

Maybe the bargain of my purchase will counteract any imperfections in this game. 

P.S.  Is it just me, or pound for pound, game for game, the Lord of the Rings franchise has produced the best games?

ManSphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ManSphere

I've always liked Star Trek.  TOS Movies are my firstborn, DS9 is my favorite, and Enterprise is the red headed stepchild. 

As I wait for STO to download ($6.47 from Amazon), I can't help but think of the days when Star Trek was a bankable gaming franchise.  I remember all the games that arrived after First Contact.  Armada was my favorite.  

I wonder now why there weren't a slew of games released for Star Trek (2009).  Though, with all the shit put together these days, It's probably better that the new Star Trek franchise is spared its equivalents of SW: Bounty Hunter, SW: Super Bombad Racing, Marvel Nemesis, GI JOE: Rise of Cobra, and anything made with the Transformers license.   

Maybe the bargain of my purchase will counteract any imperfections in this game. 

P.S.  Is it just me, or pound for pound, game for game, the Lord of the Rings franchise has produced the best games?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I hope you mean for games based on movies/books, because there are plenty of franchises with higher overall quality than the Lord of the Rings games. 

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JerichoBlyth

I also remember playing Star Trek Armada feverishly as a teenager and I absolutely adored it! The same goes for the TNG game for the Super Nintendo.

But yeah, there were a bunch of CRAP games released based on the TNG/Deep Space Nine/Voyager era of Star Trek and nearly all of them completely sucked or bombed in the market anyway despite their quality. One jewel in the sea of shit however was Star Trek Voyager Elite Force for the PC. I loved it! Was probably the only FPS Star Trek game at the time (apart from older FMV games like Star Trek Klingon) and everything just clicked as far as the mechanics and flow of the story went...but it never sold a lot of copies. It did however merit a sequel to try and pull in more buyers through word of mouth that the quality of the first game was in fact good but the sequel ended up being turd in my eyes.

ManSphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ManSphere
    @MooseyMcMan:  Yes, I meant as a movie franchise.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    Voyager Elite Force is definitely the strongest Star Trek game in the franchise in my book. It stayed true to the Voyager formula while adding some own ideas as to why they would have a task force with more weapons than the entire onboard security team combined.
    Bridge Commander wasn't too bad either, though a bit linier for the more open space exploration idea. Being able to either control the ship personally in 3d person mode or giving the bridge officers orders and just watch it unfold on the Main Screen was pretty awesome.

The way I see it and with the companies around today, I would say that Bioware could probably produce an incredibly strong Star Trek game if they were given the chance. To combine ship combat with 3d person rpg and immense dialogue options when communicating with other races? The possibilities could be endless. Though then it would of course risk the problem of being a Mass Effect with the Star Trek brand on it. Not that I would mind that. Star Trek need more RPG mixed into it in order to work.

(Just had to change my avatar to acknowledge Lt Munro and Lt Tuvok's good work on the Hazard Teams on both Voyager and Enterprise)
    ManSphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ManSphere

Bioware might as well rename themselves MIDAS Entertainment.  Everything they touch turns to gold.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.