Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Trek Online

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

A sci-fi MMORPG developed by Cryptic Studios and Perpetual Entertainment which allows players to fight amongst the ranks of Starfleet, join the Klingon Empire, or rebuild a Romulan homeworld.

STO Updates

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#1  Edited By Legend

Hi everyone! I thought it would be a good idea to create this thread where we can post some of the updates coming soon to STO. This way some of you who are taking a break from the game, or decided to cancel their subscription until more content is available, can come here and see all the recent additions to the game. First, we have this video which shows some of the things the developers are working on right now:

This is the first part. I'll post the second part when it's released.

Also, here are a few links from the official site that you might find interesting:
    State of the game: 03/12/10
    Season One: Common Ground
    Second Raid Episode: The Cure
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

I'd like to know when they fix the utterly broken skill system and add in a respec mechanic.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Legend
    @MB said:
    " I'd like to know when they fix the utterly broken skill system and add in a respec mechanic. "
    It's coming in the "Season One" update. Check out the calendar.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike
    @Legend: It's nice to see it's coming, but a respec system alone won't fix the game. The skill system as it currently stands was designed with no point cap - they added in a point cap at the last second for a skill tree that was never designed to accommodate one. It needs a complete overhaul, a respec system is nothing but a bandaid on a gunshot wound.

The skill tree as it stands is an utter failure. There are many threads on the STO forums that go into why this is in great detail, but it needs a ton of work before I'll be willing to give the game another shot.
    lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By lockwoodx

Hope they put the extra character slots in the c-store too. I was reading people bought credits for the c-store because loading tips told them they can buy the slots, but they are still not offered yet in the c-store leaving them feeling jipped.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Legend
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By End_Boss

I had no idea the skill trees were in such rough shape, and here I was about to renew my subscription! This is definitely a good thread, and one that I hope sticks around.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Legend

It has finally happened. Ladies and gentlemen I give you the Google Galaxy Map:  http://sto.geo-map.de/  Use the search engine to look for different things on the map.

This is not really a content update, but I thought it was awesome and wanted to share it with you guys. Cryptic should just use this instead of the one they have in the game.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Are they gonna fix the issues with other ships getting stuck inside stuff and can fire on you wile you cant attack them? 

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Bane

I'm not sure if I want to keep paying for this game or not.  Season One: Common Ground is out soon so I think I'll wait until it's release and try again.  If it doesn't keep my interest at that point I'm fairly certain I'll be canceling.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Legend
    Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Legend
    lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lockwoodx
    @Legend said:
    " Cryptic announced that they canned the console version of STO:
     http://www.vg247.com/2010/04/07/star-trek-online-for-consoles-canned/ "
    A: Game has a great beta with lots of hype 
    B: Game fails hard with 0 substance loosing hundreds of thousands of subscribers before the first month is up 
    C: ....... 
    D: Console version of game is canned so publisher can still make a profit!!!
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Buzzkill said:
    " @Legend said:
    " Cryptic announced that they canned the console version of STO:
     http://www.vg247.com/2010/04/07/star-trek-online-for-consoles-canned/ "
    A: Game has a great beta with lots of hype B: Game fails hard with 0 substance loosing hundreds of thousands of subscribers before the first month is up C: ....... D: Console version of game is canned so publisher can still make a profit!!! "
    Did they really lose a lot of people before the first month was over?
    lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lockwoodx
    @The_Laughing_Man:  STO is estimated to have sold over 800k in sales and I would not be surprised if it broke 1 million. Having said that, they now have barely over 100,000 subscribers and according to Cryptic's 100k plan they might be getting dangerously close to shutting down STO if the next episode bombs. it all depends on what the "break-even" point for STO is.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Buzzkill said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man:  STO is estimated to have sold over 800k in sales and I would not be surprised if it broke 1 million. Having said that, they now have barely over 100,000 subscribers and according to Cryptic's 100k plan they might be getting dangerously close to shutting down STO if the next episode bombs. it all depends on what the "break-even" point for STO is. "
    Well buzz since you have been following the game. You think its gonna bomb?
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Hamz

Cryptic have recently stated publicly that the planned release for console versions of Champions Online and Star Trek Online have now had to be put on hold indefinitely due to "business reasons" which really translates to worryingly low subscriber levels to both products.

Champions Online launched to moderate numbers that quickly dropped off and were never regained. Star Trek Online launched to pretty poor critical and community reception and honestly if you read the official forums it's nothing but a shitstorm. On one hand you have die hard Trek fans demanding changes, complaining about the butchering to the source material and the inconsistencies etc while actual MMO fans are complaining about STO being a straight up unfinished and poorly designed game.

Things don't look too great for STO or even for Cryptic at the moment. A lot of uneasy tension has erupted between the developer and its community. The topic regarding the new Advisory Council feature was met with almost unanimous disdain and negativity. Not a good sign at all.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Hamz said:
    " Cryptic have recently stated publicly that the planned release for console versions of Champions Online and Star Trek Online have now had to be put on hold indefinitely due to "business reasons" which really translates to worryingly low subscriber levels to both products.  Champions Online launched to moderate numbers that quickly dropped off and were never regained. Star Trek Online launched to pretty poor critical and community reception and honestly if you read the official forums it's nothing but a shitstorm. On one hand you have die hard Trek fans demanding changes, complaining about the butchering to the source material and the inconsistencies etc while actual MMO fans are complaining about STO being a straight up unfinished and poorly designed game.  Things don't look too great for STO or even for Cryptic at the moment. A lot of uneasy tension has erupted between the developer and its community. The topic regarding the new Advisory Council feature was met with almost unanimous disdain and negativity. Not a good sign at all. "
    So do you think STO will die barely 4 months in?
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By metal_mills

If Cryptic stopped pumping out fucking shit maybe people would have stayed subscribed. Star Trek was perfect for an MMO if done right(think EVE Online but less complicated). ST Online was a bigger fuck up than Star Wars Galaxies, at least THAT game captured the look and feel of the original trilogy.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Hamz
    @The_Laughing_Man: I think it's a possibility considering how the reaction from both critics and players has been fairly negative. Right now it seems the only current players are the die-hard Trek fans who will play anything with Star Trek in the title. And the MMO players who likely have bought the extended subscription plans.

But I'm no expert, just someone who's played enough MMOs to know when one clearly is suffering in multiple ways.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Hamz said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: I think it's a possibility considering how the reaction from both critics and players has been fairly negative. Right now it seems the only current players are the die-hard Trek fans who will play anything with Star Trek in the title. And the MMO players who likely have bought the extended subscription plans.  But I'm no expert, just someone who's played enough MMOs to know when one clearly is suffering in multiple ways. "
    I just noticed. Its hardly 2 months since its release...Could we be looking at the fastest down fall of a MMO? 

When I tried the Invite a friend thing. The game did have issues...Most of which where the space battles in which stuff would go inside other things bringing the battle to a halt (I once had to sit there 20 mins for a ship to leave a space station so I could blow it up)
    lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lockwoodx
    @The_Laughing_Man: Fastest down fall of a MMO would be Asheron's Call 2 or Tabula Rasa, with Hellgate London getting a strong nod. I doubt STO will fold this quickly but they run more like a business first, MMO company full of cool compassionate gamers second. Anything could happen and what determines the outcome will be the quality of episodes and if they start listening to what little community they have left. Word of mouth is what did the real damage to STO. If a game is good people will tell everyone they know but it's a double edged sword if the game is poor. Also all the nickel diming players for C-Store goodies is in really poor taste considering they charge a premium monthly fee. I personally think they will limp along like Champions Online based on the sole fact both games cost so little to produce. Rushing a product out the door does have it's advantages by keeping you in the black while you play catch up..
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Buzzkill said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: Fastest down fall of a MMO would be Asheron's Call 2 or Tabula Rasa, with Hellgate London getting a strong nod. I doubt STO will fold this quickly but they run more like a business first, MMO company full of cool compassionate gamers second. Anything could happen and what determines the outcome will be the quality of episodes and if they start listening to what little community they have left. Word of mouth is what did the real damage to STO. If a game is good people will tell everyone they know but it's a double edged sword if the game is poor. Also all the nickel diming players for C-Store goodies is in really poor taste considering they charge a premium monthly fee. I personally think they like limp along like Champions Online based on the sole fact both games cost so little to produce. Rushing a product out the door does have it's advantages. "
    So pretty much their rep is now shot...
    lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By lockwoodx
    @The_Laughing_Man said:

"So pretty much their rep is now shot... "

Bingo. You hit the nail on the head. It's kind of like what happened with Funcom. They released what could have been an amazing game to the tune of over 1 million sales but it was rushed and a huge buggy mess. Then customer server got poor, there were billing issues, the lead developer and creative mind behind the company for over a decade jumps ship. Funcom stock has tanked, and instead of putting all of their resources into saving Conan, they begin developing Secret World. Thankfully Age of Conan has gotten better to the point where the game is damn good now but it still has that epic flaw where you need a beast of a computer to run the game well. Are people giving Age of Conan a second chance? Yes... several are since Funcom lowered their monthly prices, introduced veteran rewards, and offer the expansion for free if you purchase a year subscription that only costs about 75 USD. 

But.... the damage was done. Funcom's reputation is screwed and I doubt they will ever see more than 500K subscribers ever for AoC. This will also cause people to be shy and unwilling to try out the Secret World when it's released. Personally I'm waiting for the Vampire game from CCP (makers of eve) based on the popular roleplaying game "World of Darkness" that's basically the holy grail for modern day Vampire stuff. There is no fucking sparkle crap and the Underworld Trilogy was based on world of darkness lore if you need a visual example. Now that game, crossing my fingers is going to be tight.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

From what you all say I am guessing STO will tank before the years end unless they do some major over hauls. I am very glad I did not buy the game..And I feel bad for the people who bought the life time thing before the game came out...

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lockwoodx
    @The_Laughing_Man: As long as they had fun and are satisfied with the purchase, then the lifetime was worth it to them. I wouldn't feel sorry.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Buzzkill said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: As long as they had fun and are satisfied with the purchase, then the lifetime was worth it to them. I wouldn't feel sorry. "
    Lol. So was it THEIR life time? Or the games life time?
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#28  Edited By Jost1

Lol I wonder if Jeff regrets his lifetime sub

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By Bane

Honestly, I'd be surprised if the STO servers were still up in 2011.  Sector space is often scary empty and I've seen a grand total of two other Lobsters online in about three weeks.

I think one of Cryptic's biggest mistakes was underestimating their players.  They should have expected Star Trek fans to be pretty damn critical of their adherence to canon as well as to the sophistication of the gameplay.  I imagine Trek fans are a bit more cerebral than the players of Cryptic's other games so slapping a Star Trek universe over the top of their superhero game engine and focusing more on pew pew and less on IQ just doesn't cut it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Buzzkill said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: As long as they had fun and are satisfied with the purchase, then the lifetime was worth it to them. I wouldn't feel sorry. "
    Well, from what I have heard, there is still no endgame/high level content. At all. Just some random, repetitive crap. Once you become rear admiral, you might as well stop playing altogether - which apparently many players already did, seeing the landslide in subscriptions. 

Also, they are selling costumes FOR FRIGGIN SPACESHIPS. This is just … wrong.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @atomic_dumpling said:
    " @Buzzkill said:
    Well, from what I have heard, there is still no endgame/high level content. At all. Just some random, repetitive crap. Once you become rear admiral, you might as well stop playing altogether - which apparently many players already did, seeing the landslide in subscriptions.  Also, they are selling costumes FOR FRIGGIN SPACESHIPS. This is just … wrong. "
    Shall we take bets when the servers go down? Or when they might cut monthly fees? 
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By emkeighcameron

All I can say is I hope the new Star Wars MMO learns from this one's mistakes.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Legend

New STO promotions announced:
    http://www.startrekonline.com/promotions

Veteran Rewards

Veteran Rewards are our special thank you to players who've invested their time with us. Some rewards available are:

• Free Full Respecs.
    • Exclusive Costume Pieces.
    • Free Additional Character Slots.

For a full list of Veteran Rewards, check out our Veteran Rewards page.

Free Trial Weekend

Taking a break from Star Trek Online? Have a friend you think would enjoy the game? Take advantage of our periodically free trial weekends, where you can play Star Trek Online completely unrestricted.

Our first free trial weekend, called the Welcome Back Weekend, is available to our former players. Welcome Back Weekend begins Friday, May 7, 2010 at 10:00 a.m. Pacific and ends Monday, May 10, 2010 at 10:00 a.m. Pacific.

For more information, please check out our free trial weekend page.

Refer a Friend

We know you love Star Trek Online. We want to help you bring your friends to the game. With our Refer a Friend program, you can earn rewards for introducing your buddies to the game.

You can earn special items, Cryptic Points and more. Visit our Refer a Friend page (coming soon) to learn more.

Star Trek Online Demo

New to Star Trek Online? Considering making a purchase? We're so sure you'll love the game, we want to give you the chance to play it for free. Visit our demo page (coming soon) to learn how to create a Cryptic account and begin playing Star Trek Online.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Someone posted about this. And I will say here what I said there 

"To little to late" 

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Legend
    @The_Laughing_Man said:

" Someone posted about this. And I will say here what I said there   "To little to late"  "

Where was it posted? I didn't see any posts about this on the STO forums. Also, for someone who appears to have given up hope on STO, you seem to be fairly interested in commenting on everything we post about the game here. :P
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Legend said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:

" Someone posted about this. And I will say here what I said there   "To little to late"  "

Where was it posted? I didn't see any posts about this on the STO forums. Also, for someone who appears to have given up hope on STO, you seem to be fairly interested in commenting on everything we post about the game here. :P "
    There was a thread about the updates. Must have been removed.  

As for the game. I would have loved for it to work. I loved star trek..but the game was tossed out way to early. And now it looks like Cryptic is trying to do damage control on a house that was burnt down two days ago. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.