Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Trek Online

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

A sci-fi MMORPG developed by Cryptic Studios and Perpetual Entertainment which allows players to fight amongst the ranks of Starfleet, join the Klingon Empire, or rebuild a Romulan homeworld.

To people who are in the beta( an Idea for sector space)

Ace2020boyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Ace2020boyd

Well we all know how everyone doesn't like sector space and how it takes the immersion out of star trek. Well here is what i thought of, lets say there is no sector space and your in the sol system at your star base so when you want to go to warp the system list will pop up (maybe call it "plot course" or something) and you select whatever and you go to warp (maybe you can choose what warp factor you want to go in. Maybe it depends if your in a hurray or not). So you jump to warp and for that time you should be inside your ship for the total time it takes to get where your going. This would give people time to Walk about the ship,search around, interact with NPC, play with gadgets and so on (maybe if your in a group with your friends you can pick a ship to be on and you all stay together in one spot and never go to a different instance).

i posted this in the STO forums but haven't had to much response from it. So it like to see what you guys think.
    Original Post: 

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=1517687#post1517687

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mikemcn

The game would be great if it weren't all instances, im tired of just flying to empty worlds, where im the only one there, the earth starbase is cool, but no one interacts there, its basically a single player game with some co-op. It is missing the massive part of an MMO.  

Sure its beta so there sint going to be much of a community, but I wish we could all just go to one big instance..... who knows, maybe this is how all MMOs are now.
    nighthawk87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By nighthawk87

I guess I can't complain against instances, as I was (and still am) a Guild Wars fan. Though.. it does feel empty, which is the same problem EVE suffers from (though I still enjoy that game too). 

But yes, Immersion is the single greatest feature a game can employ to win me over. Everyone else complains about gameplay issues, while I'm the one complaining 'Why can't we go inside our ships?'. That's why I really liked the original STO idea of huge ships, with larger player crews. Just seemed more immersive and original. ' 

To the point though. Sector space is lame. In-ship would be better. But to keep the player interactions there, the sector chat should stay, and systems should be less instanced. 

Edit: Repaired Freudian slip...
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Jimbo

Sector Space is totally pointless.  It should just cut to your Bridge where you can bring a map up 'on screen', or tell your helmsman to plot a course to wherever.  And Admiral X could just come up on screen to give you your missions.  It would be about 10000 times better.

I think the instances work pretty well, particularly the whole auto-grouping thing.  I haven't seen that before and it takes a lot of the hassle out of MMOing for me.  

The real problem STO has imo is that there is absolutely no group dynamic to speak of (so far at least) in either space combat or ground combat.  Tactics in both amount to everybody just wailing on a target until it dies and then moving on to the next one.  I've been playing as an engineer and so far I feel like I could have chosen any other class and had an identical experience so far - I don't feel like that's very good MMO design.

I hate to keep coming back to WoW (because my info on it is about 5 years out of date), but from the first minute of that game you are getting acquainted with the role your class is designed for.  Once you are rolling with a group, everybody in that group needs to be playing their part and the team needs to function smoothly to succeed - it isn't difficult exactly, but that coordination and feeling like you were playing an important role in the group does make for a very satisfying and sustainable experience.  I'm not getting any of that out of STO so far.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By jimi

Travelling inside your ship is a cool idea, in fact there should be more interaction with the interior of your ship overall. 

Fast travelling is also a concept they need to implement, once the universe opens up it will become painful to travel long distances especially since there is a loading time between sectors.

borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By borgmaster
    @Jimi: I think they're using Transwarp as a way to fast travel larger distances. So that'd be like a griffin in Wow, and the tron-space stuff is like running around. I don't know, but I'd say the higher level ships go faster in the Tron-space-thing than the lower-level ships, like having a mount. 

I could be wrong about this though, If I am, correct me.
    white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By white
    @Ace2020boyd said:
    "  Well we all know how everyone doesn't like sector space and how it takes the immersion out of star trek. Well here is what i thought of, lets say there is no sector space and your in the sol system at your star base so when you want to go to warp the system list will pop up (maybe call it "plot course" or something) and you select whatever and you go to warp (maybe you can choose what warp factor you want to go in. Maybe it depends if your in a hurray or not). So you jump to warp and for that time you should be inside your ship for the total time it takes to get where your going. This would give people time to Walk about the ship,search around, interact with NPC, play with gadgets and so on (maybe if your in a group with your friends you can pick a ship to be on and you all stay together in one spot and never go to a different instance).  i posted this in the STO forums but haven't had to much response from it. So it like to see what you guys think. Original Post:   http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=1517687#post1517687 "
    That's a cool idea except...

1) It makes the game feel even more instanced (for a lack of a better word). Click on a menu choice and warp there? Feels like an old MMO where the only way to get around is through a menu.
    2) The only interaction you have in your ship is the bridge. Even then, you cannot talk to your crew there. It's only a place to invite people over, hang around before a "raid" or for trading with people when they are in different zones.
    3) There's nothing to interact in the bridge really unless you wanna just sit in the bridge chair.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.