What am I doing wrong?

#1 Edited by Venatio (4491 posts) -

So I signed up for a free account, i got a confirmation email confirming I joined. I downloaded the game and installed it. But it doesn't let me log in, keeps calling it invalid. And when I click the register new account button it just makes me download the game again

Also, it links me to a site where I have to enter a product key, what the hell? Isn't it free? Tried just logging in on the site but it keeps calling me invalid, what do I do?

#2 Posted by Cronus42 (275 posts) -

@Venatio said:

Tried just logging in on the site but it calls me invalid, what do I do?

Star Trek Online is racist

#3 Posted by Dagbiker (6966 posts) -

What your doing wrong is trying to play STO in the first place. (sounds like a bug, email support)

#4 Posted by vic8888 (9 posts) -

Above the login in the patcher is a radio checkbox between Cryptic and Perfect World. Check if you have the right one selected, as it defaults to Cryptic. If that doesn't work try checking the forums, or emailing them.

#5 Posted by TheHT (11133 posts) -

And you can ignore the activation thing i think, unless you have a key in which case... I guess input it and see what happens? I didn't and was able to play just fine.

#6 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@vic8888 said:

Above the login in the patcher is a radio checkbox between Cryptic and Perfect World. Check if you have the right one selected, as it defaults to Cryptic. If that doesn't work try checking the forums, or emailing them.

This. Try this. 
#7 Posted by MattyFTM (14368 posts) -

@vic8888 said:

Yeah, I was having issues logging back into my old account on the website, then I realized I had the wrong checkbox selected. Then I did exactly the same thing in the patcher. I'm a slow learner.

#8 Posted by TomA (2531 posts) -

Your problem is that you're trying to play Star Trek:Online.

#9 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@vic8888 said:

This. Try this.

I've already tried switching several times, doesn't work

Also can people stop saying that my problem is that I'm trying to play STO, I get it, you think it's a crappy game

#10 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Venatio said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@vic8888 said:

This. Try this.

I've already tried switching several times, doesn't work

Also can people stop saying that my problem is that I'm trying to play STO, I get it, you think it's a crappy game

I have it on my screen now. Do not put words in my mouth. Im looking for someone to hang with.  

And it asked for MY product ID. Ignore that. Its for people who bought the game and get certain items in game. 
#11 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man:Putting words in your mouth? Didn't say you said STO was crappy, some other dudes in the thread said it

We should totally play if I can get it to work

#12 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Venatio said:

@The_Laughing_Man:Putting words in your mouth? Didn't say you said STO was crappy, some other dudes in the thread said it

We should totally play if I can get it to work

I never said it.  

Again make sure its the "Cryptic" Account picked. Also I know its dumb make sure you HAVE a Cryptic account and not a perfect world one. 
#13 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man: I have picked the Cryptic account option, I've signed up two different accounts and neither work, I've gotten confirmation emails but it says my account's don't exist

#14 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Venatio said:

@The_Laughing_Man: I have picked the Cryptic account option, I've signed up two different accounts and neither work, I've gotten confirmation emails but it says my account's don't exist

Might need to go to their forums. I am sure other people are having this issue. Funny enough my level 20 guy is ALLLLLLLLLLL the way back from the beta. So they never deleted him which is kinda cool. 
#15 Posted by Sackmanjones (4687 posts) -

@Venatio: just X it out and it still installs

#16 Posted by 71Ranchero (2738 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

What your doing wrong is trying to play STO in the first place. (sounds like a bug, email support)

Sounds like he may need to reset his modem.

#17 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Venatio said:

Might need to go to their forums. I am sure other people are having this issue. Funny enough my level 20 guy is ALLLLLLLLLLL the way back from the beta. So they never deleted him which is kinda cool.

I just got it to work, it had to do with account linking bullshit, they need to make that stuff more clear to people. It's patching atm

I played a ton of the beta but I've forgotten all the info I used

So wanna play?

#18 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

If you get it working I am playing now 

#19 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Venatio said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Venatio said:

I just got it to work, it had to do with account linking bullshit, they need to make that stuff more clear to people. It's patching atm

I played a ton of the beta but I've forgotten all the info I used

So wanna play?

Whats your in game name? 
#20 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man: My handle is Venatio_s

#21 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Venatio said:

@The_Laughing_Man: My handle is Venatio_s

@?  

Its like 

Ghost@cyberzero (Which is mine) 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.