Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Trek Online

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

A sci-fi MMORPG developed by Cryptic Studios and Perpetual Entertainment which allows players to fight amongst the ranks of Starfleet, join the Klingon Empire, or rebuild a Romulan homeworld.

Why is WoW looked down on?

• 58 results
    John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By John1912

I see random comments about it from time to time.  Care to share your reasons.  WoW is the only MMO I bothered to play (tried a few others in trails)  I really feel STO is falling into the non play area. Though I am a HARD sell on any MMO at this point.  Quit wow years ago, and dont really care to get back into a MMO unless its truly special.

STO just doesnt seem like a MMO at all with its instanced zones, nor do I really need to find other players, find items to sell or contribute to a open world which are all things a MMO should have, and what really pulled WoW together in alot of ways.  

Everything I have done I was mainly alone, and or it would not have mattered if I had ppl with me.  Its just hey, your there, join my team for 5mins, no interaction.  So why should I pay a MMO fee to even play this single player game.  I dont think large space battles late in the game that need other ppl are going to fix that issue either.

Think I read a few comments on this forum bashing WoW which I dont understand.  So care to explain why you dont like WoW, and or why STO/other game does something better?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By mordukai

Just like any other game, you will have the people that like it and the people that don't. 

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Bigandtasty

It's the biggest so it gets a lot of criticism. A lot of long time WoW players perpetuate the problem by favorably comparing a new MMO to WoW, proclaiming that they will never come back, and coming back a few months later anyway.

thejamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By thejamster

Theory 1. WoW has millions of users and is insanely popular and for some people its cool to hate whats i s popular 
    Theory 2. People spend hundreds and hundreds of hours on that game and they let it consume their life.  Hence that is  a reason not to like it (although kind of true with a lot of mmo's) because some people who play it have no lives. 
    Theory 3. People think Blizzard has enslaved millions and is making too much money and therefore should gdiaf

Avatar image for redeyesbluebunny
    RedEyesBlueBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By RedEyesBlueBunny

because wow took all those hours of my life away just to show me how boring and repetitive the game becomes when you reach level 60...or whatever the max level is nowadays

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By lockwoodx

Wow is looked down upon because over the years blizzard has sought to undermine it's most loyal and talented followers by groveling to the all mighty dollar and making it's game as dumbed down as possible. (just wiki the Bush years if you require clarification) While this may appeal to the "Sims" crowd.... they alienate players who would stick with them through bad decisions while attempting to attract impulsive players who might leave at any given moment because someone sneezed.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By shirogane

As my friend said, i treat MMOs like single player games anyway... so STO is perfectly fine for me. 

The reason for this...can be easily attributed to WoW, but not really. 
     The problem i had with WoW was the people, not the game itself. Game was awesome, but the type of people it attracted because of it's popularity really is the problem. This isn't a problem with just WoW though, but is seen most there because 
    A. It's an MMO, therefore you pretty much have to intereact/see other people. 
    B. It's got millions of people playing it. 

Essentially, complaints that you'd find about MW2, Halo and othe games on Xbox Live.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @Buzzkill said:
    " blizzard has sought to undermine it's most loyal and talented followers by groveling to the all mighty dollar and making it's game as dumbed down as possible."
    Lol wut? Loyal and talented?  Do you mean this guy?
    No Caption Provided
    artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By artofwar420

Thing is, these devs have been doing MMOs just this way. And I don't think they'll change how they do things, it doesn't seem that much people hate it. I don't love it, but I'm liking the beta, still unsure if I'll subscribe though.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rallier

STO is quite a bit more appealing to me then WOW. The big thing (keep in mind i've only seen the footage here on GB) is that STO is more of a strategic action game where positioning is key while in WOW it appears (never played wow but i've seen my friends play it) to be more static which could be what these critiques are based on.

JiuJitsuka85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JiuJitsuka85

Because at school it's alwasy the ugliest, nerdiest geeks playing it. Thus giving it a really bad stereotypical reputation.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kohe321

Wow always gets picked on, and especially when new MMO's come out. Players who want to start with the "new big thing" always critize wow, almost to justify to themselves why they're playing the new game instead of WoW. This was particularly bad around the time Age of Conan and Warhammer launched. Stuff like "This will kill wow, have fun in the cartoon world idiots" got thrown around a lot. 

Ironically, the majority of these people went back to their drug after the new "WoW killers" crashed and burned. XD

Vengeful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Vengeful

Ive played WoW since beta on and off, sometimes I would take a year off and just go back for new expac to see new areas. Im bored with the game, it doesnt bring much new to the table when it comes to questing. (kill xx amount, bring xx amount) gets boring fast. The reason I think WoW gets put down is because its the biggest and people hate the fact that every new mmo gets compared to its success, I mean WoW is a polished beast now, but when it came out it had a lot of problems with lag and server stability (remember waiting 2 min to loot corpses anyone?) not to mention waiting 2hrs to log into your server.  

Companies now fear the MMO market because of how big of a grasp Blizz has and are afraid to dump money towards something that will only scratch it and some people hate WoW for that too. I personally dont see anyone bringing WoW down except Blizz themselves which is kinda sad considering how long it takes them to do new games. Other MMOs can grab people who dont want fantasy which is why games like Eve and hopefully STO and Starwars will survive because they are Sci-Fi.

Magresda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Magresda

If you've ever played another MMO during launch- no, anytime, you'll find that most of the people there hate WoW with a passion. The same people usually start playing again a few months later.  

Right now WoW is the best, most accessible MMO on the market. Whether STO, SW:TOR or another MMO can change that remains to be seen, but there is one golden rule that makes WoW so popular: accessibility. That's why I still keep my account and play 20 minutes every odd day, because in WoW you can play that little and still succeed. This same rule has turned a lot of hardcore people off WoW, hence the hate.  Nowadays all raids ship with "hard modes" anyway, so being too "casual" is not really a valid criticism anymore.  

Plus, it's got 12 million subscribers and it gets a lot of attention in mainstream media. And we all know how nerds love hating things that are mainstream. 

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lockwoodx
    @MAN_FLANNEL: Loyal and talented at / to / with in the game. That went right over your head didn't it? ;)
    mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mano521

i hate WoW for a few reasons.  
    Turned my friend into a No-life nerd. He used to play console game with me all the time. Now all he does is raid and talk about his gear.  its pathetic 
    I played once. it was boring, repetitive, and at some times, unbeleivably easy.  All quests i had played were, "kill x monsters" , "collect x things while killing monsters" , "go find these items, while killing monsters on the way" 
    boooring. 
    The game takes up too much of peoples lives. And it turns people into Nerd Ragers.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By sopranosfan

I just don't like the idea of paying $15 a month to play 1 game.  I try not to look down on something other people enjoy doing because I don't like people judging how I spend my free time.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lockwoodx
    @mano521 said:

"(WoW) Turned my friend into a No-life nerd. He used to play console game with me all the time. "

No Caption Provided
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ryanwho

Its just corny. That compacted with a general lack of understanding of the point of MMOs, I guess. Right, I get the journey's the most important thing not the destination, but the journey is kill x number of boar more often than it is something interesting. I just don't get it.

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By immike

Because it usually fixates players on a single game and generally gives them no time to play anything else. It's the players fault too of course, but at least some of the blame should be directed at the game as well.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Milkman

People hate popular things.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @Buzzkill said:

" @MAN_FLANNEL: Loyal and talented at / to / with in the game. That went right over your head didn't it? ;) "

No, not at all actually.  Loyal and talented aren't the words most of us would to describe the people that sit on wow all day.  What I said obviously went over your head. 
    Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ignor

I don't like the game, mainly because of:
    -The animu art design.
    -The bland and uninspiring character creation.
    - This fucking list, and the people who resort to it.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By End_Boss

I'm a former WoW player as well, and though many a friend has tried to convince me to get back into it, I just keep finding too many reasons not to. As far as STO goes, I agree that it may be a little too instanced, and that some missions are easy enough that you can fly 'em solo--however, I think you might be missing the point of an MMO if that's keeping you from enjoying it. When playing a massively multiplayer game, I've found that the community is it's own best reason to open contact. So you could smoke those frigates; ask if anyone else wants in on the mission first! Then maybe you'll have other missions in common.

If you really can't find anyone with the missions you have (pretty unlikely in a normal scenario), just help out! Even if the guy is a level or so below you, helping him might establish a new contact for when you need a hand/are bored of playing by yourself later.

Finally, join the GB Fleet. I played for about two hours with a couple of other fleet members and had a blast with the fleet actions in the game. If you really can't find fun anywhere else, try there.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#25  Edited By the8bitNacho

It's popular.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Shadow

Cool things are so uncool
     Cool things are so uncool
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By Diamond
    Personally I don't like it because it's an inferior quality MMO that was popular because it appealed to people without much gaming knowledge, gaming skills, or decent computer hardware.  Not that Star Trek Online is any better, if anything it's probably worse all around.  I find both games extremely boring and just a time sink.

@mano521 said:
    i hate WoW for a few reasons.  Turned my friend into a No-life nerd. He used to play console game with me all the time.
    Actually a similar thing happened to me.  We are and almost always were no life nerds, but now he hardly ever plays games that require any skill.  He can't compete in action games and he gets upset, so it's no fun.  MMOs destroy your gaming skills.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By End_Boss
    @Diamond said:
    "MMOs destroy your gaming skills. "
    Was this the first blanket statement of the thread, or did I miss something?
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Diamond
    @End_Boss: Probably not the first, but nonetheless absolutely 100% factual.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By Hamz

World of Warcraft is the most financially successful game ever created, combined with being a game that likely has the highest number of active members and players within its community as well as global notoriety in TV, Film and so forth as well. In short WoW is just the king of the MMO genre and like all things in life people love to shit on the success of others to compensate for the overwhelming level of disappointment in their own lives.

STO plays like a single player game more than a community orientated expeirence. It has an odd feel of Guild Wars in space but unlike Guild Wars it hasn't got the amazing PvP gameplay, it doesn't have much depth too it and as far as calling STO an MMO goes, that is flat out wrong. The game just generally feels a little dead due to the fact it relies on instances to split players up which really detracts from the point of an MMO, to group with players and achieve a common goal of fun and entertainment.

STO has a lot of potential because it uses the creative license of one of the best Science Fiction franchises ever produced. But the problem is that Cryptic just don't use the potential provided by the source material to any great effect. They've made a really casual MMO that borders on being a flat out single player experience and slapped a monthly fee on the game if you want to play it, you pay it. Personally I would be interested in STO more if it had no monthly fee like Guild Wars, but right now paying a monthly fee for the game is flat out crazy. It's a janky, broken and sorely lacking product that needs a good 6 months more in the oven before being released, in my opinion anyway.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#32  Edited By sjschmidt93

When people think of think of WoW they think of extremely obese men with a bag of chips that haven't left the house since last Tuesday morning. 

(WoW fans will know why I picked Tuesday morning)

Jiquk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By Jiquk

I would rather blizzard be making a game I can enjoy like Warcraft 4  perhaps,not more shitty expansion packs for a 5 year old game that got boring after 2 weeks.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By lockwoodx
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " @Buzzkill said:

" @MAN_FLANNEL: Loyal and talented at / to / with in the game. That went right over your head didn't it? ;) "

No, not at all actually.  Loyal and talented aren't the words most of us would to describe the people that sit on wow all day.  What I said obviously went over your head.  "
    Still over your head mate, and you've added a dash of fail now. 

Loyal "TO" wow is used quite often because they are several mmorpgs out there gamers side with. "Talented", much like skilled describes how well they perform at and inside the game. I'm sorry you are so detached from these terms. You obviously haven't been an online gamer very long.
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By thehexeditor

WoW is looked down on because of the concept of the 'unethical' game experience (coined by Jonathan Blow, creator of Braid.)
     "It doesn’t matter if you’re smart or how adept you are, it’s just how much time you sink in. You don’t need to do anything exceptional, you just need to run the treadmill like everyone else."
      You can argue that leading raids and moving out of the fire/being quick on heals ETC ETC require 'intelligence' or 'adeptness' but in my years of experience it just takes time and repetition. The carrot-on-the-stick and subtle psychology mixed with social interaction provide for quite the dangerous drug and as WoW is the most popular MMO by far, it gets blamed more.
    Edit: I stopped playing a couple weeks ago after realizing the huge waste of time it really is. I joined many guilds, did many dungeons and raids, made many many alts and mains, even bought gold (pathetic, I know). Much of the vocal minority/'community' is a cesspool of some really pathetic, angry people. I should know; I was one of them.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#37  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

As a fan of Lord of the Rings Online, I'm certainly biased towards that MMORPG, but I don't hate World of Warcraft by any means.  Social gaming, to me, is a pretty darned good thing. 
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By thehexeditor
    @Sparky_Buzzsaw: I envy your perspective. I have become just too jaded and perhaps unnecessarily frustrated by WoW that MMOs don't appeal to me anymore. It is a problem with me, not the fine developers of such games; they (usually) work their asses off for a better experience and there are many very nice, accommodating players out there. Addictive personalities and MMOs do not mix; although the former is a problem that transcends liking/not liking a game unfortunately.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ryanwho
    @Milkman said:
    " People hate popular things. "
    Popular things are beyond critique, cus they're popular. No good reason to hate popular things mien furor.
    Avatar image for aperturesilence
    ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By ApertureSilence
    @thehexeditor said:
    " WoW is looked down on because of the concept of the 'unethical' game experience (coined by Jonathan Blow, creator of Braid.)  "It doesn’t matter if you’re smart or how adept you are, it’s just how much time you sink in. You don’t need to do anything exceptional, you just need to run the treadmill like everyone else."  You can argue that leading raids and moving out of the fire/being quick on heals ETC ETC require 'intelligence' or 'adeptness' but in my years of experience it just takes time and repetition. The carrot-on-the-stick and subtle psychology mixed with social interaction provide for quite the dangerous drug and as WoW is the most popular MMO by far, it gets blamed more. Edit: I stopped playing a couple weeks ago after realizing the huge waste of time it really is. I joined many guilds, did many dungeons and raids, made many many alts and mains, even bought gold (pathetic, I know). Much of the vocal minority/'community' is a cesspool of some really pathetic, angry people. I should know; I was one of them. "
    This.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ryanwho

MMOs. 
    level 1- 2+2=4 
    level 50- 2,000+2,000=4,000. 
    See? The 'math' is harder.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Fallen189

It's popular to hate WoW

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ryanwho

I also hate unpopular MMOs that follow a similar formula. But alright. you've found a way to dismiss people without engaging them.

therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By therabidfrog

You mean the virtual jogging simulator?

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By thehexeditor
    @Babble: Yes. I agree and it seems to be human nature to decide these reasons for such enjoyment. Well, i guess it is unfair to say 'human' nature. Perhaps 'my' nature is more appropriate. Others sadly shared or still share such sentiment. Like I said, I spoiled the MMO experience for myself as many people do. Not blaming the game or the collective community.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ryanwho
    @Babble said:
    " @thehexeditor said:
    " WoW is looked down on because of the concept of the 'unethical' game experience (coined by Jonathan Blow, creator of Braid.)  "It doesn’t matter if you’re smart or how adept you are, it’s just how much time you sink in. You don’t need to do anything exceptional, you just need to run the treadmill like everyone else."  You can argue that leading raids and moving out of the fire/being quick on heals ETC ETC require 'intelligence' or 'adeptness' but in my years of experience it just takes time and repetition. The carrot-on-the-stick and subtle psychology mixed with social interaction provide for quite the dangerous drug and as WoW is the most popular MMO by far, it gets blamed more. Edit: I stopped playing a couple weeks ago after realizing the huge waste of time it really is. I joined many guilds, did many dungeons and raids, made many many alts and mains, even bought gold (pathetic, I know). Much of the vocal minority/'community' is a cesspool of some really pathetic, angry people. I should know; I was one of them. "
    So WoW gets blamed for people's inability to play a game in moderation? It becomes a treadmill when players decide they will only enjoy themselves if they have the 'best' gear, 'most' gold etc. "
    What is it when its not a treadmill? An unplugged treadmill? A grind in moderation is still a grind.
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By thehexeditor
    @Babble: Destruction is a very hidden, but very profound theme to reap in MMOs if you're prone to it as a person. I am loathe to admit it, but some part of me enjoyed lashing out and arguing with people for no reason due to the anonymity of it all. I have contributed to the destruction of many pick-up groups and even a guild here and there, I've destroyed 'relations' with online acquaintances too for no good reason - the power is alluring and so easy to exploit. Yes, I am feeling particularly dramatic with this post, and the only regret I feel is that I even played in the first place to bring out such qualities in me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.