Will you play the game after release?

• 51 results
#1 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3963 posts) -
#2 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3963 posts) -

Just curious as to who has been sold on this game, or who gave up on it.  For myself, I'm 90% likely to buy the lifetime edition since I hate paying monthly fees.  Overall, the ground game reminds me of a poor man's version of Mass Effect, but it's still interesting & fun to play. I like the space combat & moving from planet to planet with different terrains will be compelling for awhile. Not to mention the whole episodic Trek feel in game.  I think it could use more puzzles, but not sure if we'll get any.  One problem with puzzles is that a few people figure it out then they just feed the Internet & the bulk of players will just look it up after that. 

#3 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -
The beta, despite it's massive amount of bugs and flaws managed to convince a purchase out of me. They better fix the issues tho because the game is almost unplayable in its current state and the ONLY application to have ever made windows 7 BSD on me since I installed it in October.
#4 Posted by Shirogane (3569 posts) -

Wow, you got BSoDed on windows 7? 

Yeah, i'll probably play it for at least a month or something. It seems nice, i like the space combat especially. But it feels very clunky and unfinished in its current state. 

Do you seriously get to play as a Borg if you lifetime subscribe? SERIOUSLY?
#5 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3963 posts) -
@Shirogane said:
" Wow, you got BSoDed on windows 7?  Yeah, i'll probably play it for at least a month or something. It seems nice, i like the space combat especially. But it feels very clunky and unfinished in its current state.  Do you seriously get to play as a Borg if you lifetime subscribe? SERIOUSLY? "
That's what it states.  Also different pre-orders offer different features.  For instance, the pre-order of the Amazon game gives you a Borg bridge officer as well.   At some point, perhaps they'll offer a purchase for a Borg Captain.

Looking at the results of the poll, this is pretty much what I expected.  I'm thoroughly convinced that the GB forums are dominated by Cow pokes.  All I ever see are posts about cows waiting for some lamestation game or endurance run.  And that seems to be the only thing anyone ever writes about, other than bashing all things non-PS3.  I'm glad I'm not a part of their hateful, smug-filled world.
#6 Posted by nighthawk87 (4 posts) -

This game has tempted me in ways other MMO's have not in awhile :P. However, I still don't think I will buy it afterwards. My time is limited, and I tend to be picky. EVE was starting to bore me though, and I need something to tide me over until Guild Wars 2 and The Old Republic (both of which I will instantly buy).    

Cons: Game is nothing groundbreaking. I've been playing Mass Effect lately so I'm hardly impressed with the ground combat. Space is similar to EVE, but with more annoying controls, and poorer textures. Also, spamming skills is annoying. Voice acting is lacking and/or poor. 

Pros: It combines ground and space. Ship shielding is a neat combat factor. Star Trek is awesome. Borg.

Perhaps this will be a year of single player RPGs for me. Mass Effect 2 is coming out in a week. after all...

Though I did just download a LOTRO trial. I know I know, but the DX10 support sounded pretty! 

PS - I've seen several BSoDs on 7. Though, people do tend to only bring me their computers when problems already exist...

#7 Posted by wwfundertaker (1400 posts) -

Not enough variety, i know its just a beta. For $15 a month not sure. Still funny as hell to watch.

#8 Posted by Renahzor (991 posts) -

No, as it sits now I will not pay to play STO.

The entire environment seems bland and lifeless.  Even in my mind i cannot create missions that are more cookie cutter and boring.  And IMO, they need to speed up the new player experience 2-3x, putting people in the next tier of ship sooner and increasing skills much much faster.  Skills seem to not be much help themselves, and I feel like I'm grinding away toward getting the next set of skills instead of enjoying upgrading the ones I have, etc.  Everything needs much better explanation and tooltips.  

I may check it out again in 6 months, once they've had a chance to polish the existing content and really streamline the way new players see the game. 

#9 Posted by Rallier (1739 posts) -

I would love to get into it mainly for the potentially amazing clan vs clan space battles but i know that it would suck up all my free time so despite really wanting to play it I will not.

#10 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -
@Shirogane said:

" Wow, you got BSoDed on windows 7?  Yeah, i'll probably play it for at least a month or something. It seems nice, i like the space combat especially. But it feels very clunky and unfinished in its current state.  Do you seriously get to play as a Borg if you lifetime subscribe? SERIOUSLY? "

There is a massive thread on the official forums full of people with the same problems. They are BSODing too but they freeze or reboot before seeing the error message. If you are having any issues regarding crashes, BSOD, random restarts, or hard lockups with stuttering sound then read the thread asap. 

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=62472

Many fans are willing to put up with bugs but these crashes are game breaking. The game is unplayable to 1000s atm... and STO is in serious jeopardy of bombing if the issue is not resolved.
#11 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -

I think the game may have some fundamental problems that can't be fixed in the next few weeks and can't be explained away by "it's beta".  The missions, and the space environments in which you carry them out, lack variety; there isn't enough planetary exploration, and from what I've seen you can't even beam to a planet unless you have a mission for it; the world lacks cohesion and doesn't feel "massive" due to its heavily instanced and compartmentalized nature; the character progression moves at a snail's pace because big things only happen every ten levels; the interface could be better (ex: the icons are all too similar and hard to tell apart); none of the skills are written in plain English and some are too arcane to understand why they're useful; the talents are in a similar state (ex: most all of the first-tier talents I have access to affect skills I don't have).

I will, however, commend the game for its opening and its constant Trek references, which even I as a "only seen the new movie"-type person can appreciate.

#12 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

Nay, cap. Nay.

I don't like paying monthly fees.

#13 Posted by John1912 (1862 posts) -

After playing the Beta game seems way too shallow in what to do, and does not have enough atmosphere to keep me enjoying what I am doing.

#14 Posted by Mikemcn (6982 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
"Nay, cap. Nay.  I don't like paying monthly fees. "

Hey me too
#15 Posted by JJOR64 (18956 posts) -

Nope.  Monthly fees suck.

#16 Posted by britdevil (3 posts) -

The kids who post on the GB forums, cant afford the subscription fees. They all ready spend their pocket money on WoW subs. ;)

#17 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -
@britdevil said:
" The kids who post on the GB forums, cant afford the subscription fees. They all ready spend their pocket money on WoW subs. ;) "
Nah, people here are too busy parading around the fact that they don't play World of Warcraft.
#18 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -
@gakon5: I'd say the majority of Giant Bomb readers / posters are just console tards which would be the ideal reason they are afraid to commit to a fine MMO like Star Trek.
#19 Posted by CenturionCajun (1461 posts) -

I've been relegated to simply watching "Set Phasers to Fun" so I cannot speak from first hand experience. However, being a huge Star Trek and Star Wars nerd I think the time has come to buy a new PC and give them both a go. While I can see the obvious downsides to the incredibly instanced and simple system they have here it's Star Trek. That and the realization that you can play as a Gorn (they're a part of the Klingon Empire now) means I'll at least buy it and give it a go.

#20 Edited by AndrewB (7591 posts) -

Nay. I guess I shouldn't have bothered getting into the beta, because it's only turned me further off of the experience. They've got such a long way to go to get that game serviceable before launch that I highly doubt it will be retail quality before then. Then there are so many stupid interface and gameplay decisions that go beyond the scope of simple bug fixing, which is pretty much what I'd assume they're down to, at this point.

Besides that, I've never played an MMO beyond beta, and I'm not about to start now unless there's no monthly fee (which is unreasonable of me to demand, I know, but I'm really opposed to committing myself to playing a game just because I feel obligated to get my money's worth out of it, which I know I'd be doing if I started down the paid MMO dark route).

#21 Posted by Vager (1653 posts) -

Nay. Doesn't seem worth having to pay a subscription fee for.

#22 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Nay; unless if there's a significant majority of Giant Bombers there, that they fix the bugs/glitches/revamp a bunch of things, that I have the money and a decent graphics card to run it (I can still run it; just on the lowest settings pumping out 4-10 fps in space combat. Stupid integrated bullshit).

#23 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -

After getting off WoW the only MMORPG I have ANY interest in is SW:TOR
And even that I'm kinda Iffy on.

#24 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

I like how they give you a ship and crew to work with. Also on the ground mission. Especially since it's hard for me to find people to work with on missions. The only problem is, I play Champions Online, and I notice how they run it. It's playable but it seems like they aren't taking care of it. Mainly lag. I know I won't pre-order it with the lifetime subscription. However, I'll wait a month or two and see how everything goes.

#25 Posted by AdMordem (458 posts) -

At the moment i intend to try it for a month. Ive been hanging for a space MMO, and i didnt like EVE.
Star wars is what i really want, but i definately think (as ive posted previously) the $50 price for the game, and one month sub that comes with it is more than fairly priced. 
The PVP ques were offline last night when i was playing, but i intend to try that tonight. Due to a couple warhammer online buddies intending to give this a go, i definately believe I will get a month worth of fun out of it. As to if i will continue, after the first month Ill have a better idea if the game will keep me entertained for several more months, or if I want to get back to working through the huge pile of half finished games on my desktop.

The videos the guys have been doing (i havent watched part 6 yet), they havent qued for the PVP zones, they havent really pointed out that that entire space area they are exploring is one of many many sectors just as big. After release you can play as Borg, Romulans, Klingons etc... and id expect at least the focus of the missions to change for the different starter areas and classes.

The biggest let down, which the guys have covered, is that its an MMO. The Star Trek universe has always been presented as super story driven, but the missions feel nothing like an episode of star trek. I hope they really start going crazy with broken holodecks, and Q screwing with stuff, your crew going nuts or getting captured etc soon in the progression. As the guys said though, this could be done fantastically  with an Adventure game, but isnt going to work so well for an MMO.

#26 Posted by John1912 (1862 posts) -
@Buzzkill said:
" @gakon5: I'd say the majority of Giant Bomb readers / posters are just console tards which would be the ideal reason they are afraid to commit to a fine MMO like Star Trek. "
Oh the leetest PC nerds.... No one who has played PC games for 25+ years could ever think that STO is marginal at best. 
#27 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

Nope. I'll play what I can in the beta, but I'll never pay for it.

#28 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Nope. It mostly comes down to a few fundamental rules I have that MMO's don't seem to follow.

1. If I have to subscribe to play, I should not have to buy the game first.
  2. If I do have to buy the game, it should come with an equivalently priced amount of play time included.
I think I would get about $50 worth of play time out of this game (a little over three months worth) if either of these rules wasn't broken.

edit: I do like the concept of a lifetime subscription for a single fee... if you plan on playing enough for it to pay for itself.
#29 Posted by Doobit (102 posts) -

*Shudders at the thought of paying AU$20 odd a month for laggy US servers and promptly clicks, "Nay"*

#30 Posted by Evilsbane (4595 posts) -

I feel like there is a huge part of this game they aren't showing and that really interests me but I just cant imagine what is there that they aren't showing, but I have to say I am worried about the games performance, it WORKS (For me anyways) but a lot of things seem Really Really Janky and if that stuff is in the retail package I won't be buying it.

#31 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -
@Evilsbane: Try the new patch they added on the 20th. You will be quite pleased.
#32 Posted by Evilsbane (4595 posts) -
@Buzzkill said:
" @Evilsbane: Try the new patch they added on the 20th. You will be quite pleased. "
I played last night seemed exactly the same.
#33 Posted by Renahzor (991 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
" Nope. It mostly comes down to a few fundamental rules I have that MMO's don't seem to follow.
  1. If I have to subscribe to play, I should not have to buy the game first.
  2. If I do have to buy the game, it should come with an equivalently priced amount of play time included.
I think I would get about $50 worth of play time out of this game (a little over three months worth) if either of these rules wasn't broken.  edit: I do like the concept of a lifetime subscription for a single fee... if you plan on playing enough for it to pay for itself. "
The only problem with that is it seems like a trick.  250 bucks and you can play for as long as the servers run.  BUT, you HAVE to buy that lifetime sub before the game launches, they're removing that option after retail launch (has to be ordered before midnight Feb 2nd).  So for someone who is on the fence about playing the game, you don't even get to try the retail release before committing 250 bucks to the cryptic coffers.  This seems like something that should be offered all the time if they're doing it, or at least up until a month after release?

@Buzzkill said:
" @gakon5: I'd say the majority of Giant Bomb readers / posters are just console tards which would be the ideal reason they are afraid to commit to a fine MMO like Star Trek. "

Luckily for you, the MMO is the Final Frontier (pun intended) of PC gaming.  Apart from very specific games, most devs are spending the majority of their resources on console development.  You'll see that gap widen in the next console gen as well, so you'll have at least a little bit more time atop your pedestal.  I assure you, I'm no "console tard".  I've been PC gaming for the better part of 20 years.  I've tried, paid for, beta tested, and played heavily MANY MMOs, including UO(about a year), EQ, WoW(4+ years *shudder*), EVE(1+ years), Warhammer, Aion, DDO, CoH, etc etc.  

STO falls into the bottom end of those ive tried, and unfortunately is relying heavily on it's license to sell copies and subs.  If you remove the ST license entirely, this game falls very very flat.  The space combat is pretty fun, for the first few hours anyhow, and to me its the one place STO currently shines.  The rest of the game can be at best described as run-of-the-mill for MMOs, and at worst it's just not fun down to its core game concepts.
#34 Posted by CenturionCajun (1461 posts) -

Keep in mind that in the Beta you can only play Federation and have access to only a very limited portion of the Galaxy. In the retail game you can play as the Klingon Empire (Klingons, Nausicans, Gorn, and Orions), Romulans (TBA) and Cardassians (TBA) and visit all of their territories.

#35 Posted by wrecks (2245 posts) -

Dig the changes in the patch. I'll probably give it a whirl for a month or two.

#36 Posted by Trace (3553 posts) -
@CenturionCajun said:
" Keep in mind that in the Beta you can only play Federation [...] In the retail game you can play as the Klingon Empire (Klingons, Nausicans, Gorn, and Orions)... "
Actually, you can play as Klingons in the beta right now. I earned the ability to make a Klingon after completing the mission "Stop the Signal."

As for me, this game doesn't have anything that would hold my interest long enough to warrant a purchase, although I do find the space combat interesting. The ground combat's clunky, and the missions and skill advancement aren't tantalizing enough to encourage me to keep leveling. I'll gladly save my time and money for other games. All the STO server downtime last week helped me realize how much I missed playing Team Fortress 2, for one...
#37 Posted by Turambar (6742 posts) -

Maybe, though probably not.  Too many games out in the January/February season I want to play (Bayonetta, White Knight Chronicles, FFXIII), and I'll probably have forgotten about STO after I'm done with them.

#38 Posted by GoombahMIke (54 posts) -

The instanced nature of all the zones makes me hesitant to consider this an MMO and even more hesitant to fork over $15 a month for it. Thanks, but no thanks.

#39 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -
@Buzzkill said:
If they "fear" commitment, that's fine.  It's pretty true that at this point, most people who play MMOs don't play other games, or at least not many others.  There are a lot of people around these parts who are out there frequently buying new releases on the 360 and PS3.  The only new game I played in 2009 was A Boy and His Blob.  Although I haven't played Warcraft in almost a year, I am most definetly an MMO Guy and am fine with only playing one game for months on end.  Some people can't take that, and that's fine.

Also, I can't call STO a "fine" MMO.
#40 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@Renahzor: I'm about 98% sure the lifetime subscription will be available after the launch. The pre-launch thing if for a pro-rated price. It'll go up to near 300 once the game comes out.
#41 Edited by Renahzor (991 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:

" @Renahzor: I'm about 98% sure the lifetime subscription will be available after the launch. The pre-launch thing if for a pro-rated price. It'll go up to near 300 once the game comes out. "

Ill see if i can find the dev post about it, 100% they're only taking lifetime subs until midnight feb 2nd.  Unless they change their tune after release

Edited:
Link, exclusive offer until feb 1 for life sub:
 http://www.startrekonline.com/exclusive_specials

Dev live chat transcript detailing that indeed, the offer is only good until midnight of the 2nd:
  http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Gaming/Star-Trek-Online-Live-Chat-Transcript/td-p/91426

In post 2, about 10 lines down, excerpt:  
" Guest-1133: If I preorder the game can I decide to do the lifetime subscription after a month or so when I am done evaluating the game?

Jack-Cryptic: The lifetime sub offer ends midnight Feb. 2nd."

Jack is the COO of cryptic entertainment.

I just wouldn't count on being able to buy a life sub after release, at best it will be more pricey.
#42 Posted by Cybexx (1165 posts) -

So I decided over last weekend to go through with it and get the lifetime subscription. 

It is funny that before the 1st GB Set Phasers to Fun episode I wasn't even considering trying the game or making any attempt to get a beta key. But after that video I decided to try and see if GB still had some keys left, which they did. I downloaded the game last tuesday night and started playing last wednesday. I didn't really like the on-foot / away team combat at least at first, too buggy, too janky and too much like every other MMO chasing WoW. However, I got hooked on the space combat and just when I started to worry that the space combat would get boring quick I unlocked a new ship ability and went through a really fun battle with multiple players. 

Now I still wonder if STO will get boring after a month or two, but I play MMOs periodically, I buy a lot of non-mmo games, at least a game a week, so I get distracted easily by the new hotness. However I've had a subscription to WoW since two weeks after its launch and except for a good chunk of 2007 I've being paying subscription fees for that the entire time. I've never really played it seriously, but I just like jumping in now and again.

With STO I am enjoying the beta enough that I know I want to keep playing after the beta, but I also don't want to be paying another MMO subscription, since I won't cancel WoW. If I could buy a lifetime subscription to WoW I wouldn't hesitate to do that. I am worried about how successful STO will be and how that pertains to the development of future features, but as games like The Matrix Online demonstrated, it takes a while to kill an MMO, so even if STO fails to capture an audience I am sure it will be around after 16 months at which point my Lifetime Subscription starts paying for itself. I don't expect to be playing it every day till then, but like WoW if I can jump in when I want and not have to worry about subscription fees again that is awesome. And as for the server problems, every MMO has this problem I do think STO should spend at least another 2 months in beta, but unfortunatly this is kind of par for the course.

#43 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3963 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
" @Renahzor: I'm about 98% sure the lifetime subscription will be available after the launch. The pre-launch thing if for a pro-rated price. It'll go up to near 300 once the game comes out. "
Once it's released, they'll NEVER bring back the Lifetime offer. It's a (Once in a) Lifetime sub.. :-)  They never brought a lifetime option back for Champions Online.  So far the policy on MMOs, like LOTR, etc, is they offer a Lifetime before release. After release, you gotta pay to play.  So it either takes off or it doesn't.

The options of bringing Champions Online and Star Trek Online to the Xbox is still a possibility. I haven't bothered trying the Xbox controller with STO, but I know it works with CO & it's not bad.  I think as some have pointed out that the lack of CO content may be because the entire staff at Cryptic is working on getting STO out the door & ensuring its success.  There were several trailers for CO that haven't come to pass in the game yet, but I'm still confident they'll get there.  The game looks good & is fun to play.  One of the reasons I like having a lifetime sub to CO is that I bounce around a lot between Xbox, PC, & MMO games, so I'm not always playing it.  It's definitely a convenience to have it & not have to look at your bank account being mooched on over the years by monthly fees.   

If I was late to the STO party & missed the Lifetime, I'd still pay monthly to play for it for several months to come. However, I'm pretty sure I'd spend more than the $250-300 cost on it over the years as I played it, like I did with City of Heroes (which snagged nearly $600 from me).

I think part of the allure of the game is its abstractness.  It kind of feels like a video game, but also like a board game & a stats game. I like having a crew & a bridge & the space combat is excellent.  The missions are built in an episodic manner & they throw in randomness when you head out into a wild star sector.  This randomness factor actually makes a lot of sense because if they totally mapped out every sector with every star system, then it would spoil the mystery as you went to every possible location.

Heck, there is even the chance that some of these random locations might be alloted to common, uncommon, rare, & ultra-rare locations, just to spice things up.  I think Cryptic has definitely put in enough mystique into the game to attract people to play it.  The various stats are not all defined as part of playing the game is in learning the stats.  I don't like going out & reading builds until I've been through the game a few times & want to look at what I missed. Plus, I don't want to read the manual too much before hand.  Well, we'll see how it goes. 
#44 Edited by Jared (557 posts) -
@nighthawk87 said:
"

This game has tempted me in ways other MMO's have not in awhile :P. However, I still don't think I will buy it afterwards. My time is limited, and I tend to be picky. EVE was starting to bore me though, and I need something to tide me over until Guild Wars 2 and The Old Republic (both of which I will instantly buy).    

Cons: Game is nothing groundbreaking. I've been playing Mass Effect lately so I'm hardly impressed with the ground combat. Space is similar to EVE, but with more annoying controls, and poorer textures. Also, spamming skills is annoying. Voice acting is lacking and/or poor. 

Pros: It combines ground and space. Ship shielding is a neat combat factor. Star Trek is awesome. Borg.

Perhaps this will be a year of single player RPGs for me. Mass Effect 2 is coming out in a week. after all...

Though I did just download a LOTRO trial. I know I know, but the DX10 support sounded pretty! 

PS - I've seen several BSoDs on 7. Though, people do tend to only bring me their computers when problems already exist...

"
Nothing wrong with LOTRO, it's an awesome MMO with a great story and the world itself just looks awesome. With DX10 graphics enabled and everything set to high I've yet to see another MMO look better.
#45 Posted by MAST (733 posts) -

It's interesting how many people at Giantbomb have some type of phobia of subscription fees. Yet those very same people probably pay a subscription fee for Xbox Live. No matter how you try and spin that, it's basically the same thing.

Monthly fees do have the potential to be worth it. Hell, a person that only plays an MMO probably spends less per year then a person that drops 60 bucks every couple months on console games.

#46 Posted by brotherlu (62 posts) -

Nay, Cap. I will wait for the private servers. Which are FREE !!!!!!!!!!!

#47 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3963 posts) -
@MAST said:
" It's interesting how many people at Giantbomb have some type of phobia of subscription fees. Yet those very same people probably pay a subscription fee for Xbox Live. No matter how you try and spin that, it's basically the same thing.  Monthly fees do have the potential to be worth it. Hell, a person that only plays an MMO probably spends less per year then a person that drops 60 bucks every couple months on console games. "
I think that the majority here may be PS3 users for the reason you stated: no monthly fee on anything, whine when it happens.   There must be some money shortage in the community.  I didn't see $300-ish being a very steep price.  I doubt I would have paid $400 or more.  Probably Star Wars will charge $400-$500 for lifetime to put it out of most people's price range. I doubt I'd pay that, but I got two lifetime mmos already to keep me occupied (along with the Xbox & all the games I get with it).
#48 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

I can't do it cap'n. I just don't have the powerrrr.

#49 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3963 posts) -
@c1337us said:
" I can't do it cap'n. I just don't have the powerrrr. "
No worries, Cleetus.  

"Replicator!  Earl Gray. Piping hot!"
#50 Posted by crusnchill (856 posts) -
@Renahzor: I'm doing the steam special 30 day trial with Eve online, so my question to you is what's your educated opinion say about that game in conjunction to getting a 12 month sub?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.