Game is pretty much boned

#1 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

It will have to spend an extra year just waiting to come out. When the game started development, the movie was supposed to be ready by summer 2012. But then JJ Abrams took too long with the negotiations and such, and now it's slated for summer 2013. The game will either have to come out in its slated release time of summer 2012, with no movie to support it, or it will have to remain on the back burner for an extra year, during which not a lot of work will be done to it, because this game has already been in development for about a year and half (budget would skyrocket if they kept working on it).

#2 Posted by FreakAche (2952 posts) -

I'm pretty sure that there are enough people who care about Star Trek for it to at least do okay.

#3 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7615 posts) -

I had completely forgotten this game existed.

But yeah, Star Trek is a big enough thing that it doesn't need a movie behind it to help build excitement. It'd help, but it doesn't seem necessary. How long can it take for them to pump out a Gears of War clone though?

#4 Posted by Vitor (2815 posts) -

Well, considering how positive people were being about the game when the press last saw it, I'd like to think that the extra time will be put to good use. But, knowing how studios and game budgets work, that's unlikely unless they have A LOT of confidence in the product.

#5 Edited by sometimesavowel (122 posts) -

Welp, you called it!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.