Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Trek: The Video Game

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Apr 23, 2013

Pair up as Captain Kirk or Commander Spock in this co-operative based third-person shooter set after the events of the 2009 film.

Is this a movie game?

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By FreakAche

Considering that this game is slated for a 2012 release and features the new cast, is this going to be the game tie in for next year's movie, or is it something completely separate?

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

It's in the universe of the 2009 and 2012 movies, though I'm not sure if it's a direct tie in. Considering the 2009 movie is the best thing to come out of Star Trek in a very very very long time, that doesn't bother me.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By donchipotle

In the same sense that the most recent Transformers game is a movie game.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ntm: Doesn't actually look that bad, the trailers made it look like absolute garbage.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NTM

@benny: No, I agree. It doesn't look 'bad', but it doesn't look great either. I mean, I think if you're a fan of Star Trek, and liked the J.J. Abrams film, as well as excited for Into Darkness, you'll probably get more enjoyment out of it. I think the voice work and dialogue is actually pretty well done; I love sci-fi, and the world that's created here intrigues me as well. I also thought the music was appropriately cinematic. The only problem is the less than good, but still fair visuals; I wish they were better, but it's kind of like Tron: Evolution, even if the game doesn't get terrific ratings (and for good reasons), I am still interested. I'm not sure if I'd want to spend full price on it though.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Solh0und

@ntm said:

@benny: No, I agree. It doesn't look 'bad', but it doesn't look great either. I mean, I think if you're a fan of Star Trek, and liked the J.J. Abrams film, as well as excited for Into Darkness, you'll probably get more enjoyment out of it. I think the voice work and dialogue is actually pretty well done; I love sci-fi, and the world that's created here intrigues me as well. I also thought the music was appropriately cinematic. The only problem is the less than good, but still fair visuals; I wish they were better, but it's kind of like Tron: Evolution, even if the game doesn't get terrific ratings (and for good reasons), I am still interested. I'm not sure if I'd want to spend full price on it though.

So basically: It looks like a rental.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@solh0und: Well, no, 'cause I don't rent games anymore; haven't for a long time now. It looks like a game that would be a steal at 20 dollars.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm interested because it was supposedly designed around co-op. And even a so-so co-op game can be a ton of fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will I be able to play as William Shatner and judo chop Gorn?

SkankinPacman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@ubersmake: Yes, but only if you pay 15 dollars for skin DLC.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

$50/$60 is too costly. I would expect a TV/movie game to be included with the price of admission. :)

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please be excited.

Will maybe check this out when its on sale in a month or two.

Cant freaking wait for the next movie though, shits looking tight.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah the movie looks horrible. They completely butchered what Star Trek is supposed to be. Star Trek was never meant to be an action movie, but these days, if it's anything other than a Michael-Bay-explosions-everywhere, it's never gonna break even. Roddenberry must be spinning in his grave.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zenmastah

Yeah, times sure have changed.

Im ok with that though.

Will1Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@missacre said:

Nah the movie looks horrible. They completely butchered what Star Trek is supposed to be. Star Trek was never meant to be an action movie, but these days, if it's anything other than a Michael-Bay-explosions-everywhere, it's never gonna break even. Roddenberry must be spinning in his grave.

You are kidding right? Half of the TOS was action, stereotypically the ship was taken over by some Alien and kirk had to punch his way out...hell first episode involves Kirk fighting a god.

Unfortunately the only series to truely adhere to the concept of exploration was probably TNG but even that had its fair dose of action. DS9 was dark, and violent and ended in a war. ENT was a proto-TOS of sorts but melded with parts of DS9 and was supposed to end with a war itself. Voyager...that definitely had exploration actually, although it focused on relationships and action as well.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Skytylz

@missacre said:

I'm pretty sure you could say this about all the Star Trek movies. They all come off as dumb action movies, but at least the Abrams movie was entertaining because those TNG movies were poop.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By MikeJFlick
    AckbarTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evilnights: Well his ashes were shot into space, so he probably is spinning in his grave.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

I bet the new movie will be great to be honest. The game however looks set to be a very 'meh' dudebro shooter, which is about par for the course when it comes to tie-ins. Maybe when it hits the sales.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to like Star Trek mainly because of the tight clothes they all wore. They could say "Hey that's tight." all the time, in all situations and it'd be true. :/

d715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evilnights:

It was a good send off to TOS cast, shows you can tell a good story with the ideals of Star Trek (trying to better yourself, always do the right thing, try to talk things out, fighting is only a last resort )

I kinda am dreading Into Darkness because it looks like just another GRIMDARK action movie

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I still enjoyed the new Trek movie and expect I will enjoy Into Darkness but I do feel like I have to detach it a bit in my brain from Star Trek to do so as I agree that its just too action focused. I would much rather have stayed in the real Trek universe and carried on with that.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d715 said:

@evilnights:

It was a good send off to TOS cast

But they made another one!

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having played a bit of the game, it seems very light Mass Effecty. Standard 3rd person cover based shooter with the added element of being able to use stun settings. The game has additional "Star Fleet" optional objectives like not killing infected enemies, using stealth which keeps it varied at least at the start.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mosdl

Kinda buggy regarding the co-op, seems unpolished in areas (weird fade to blacks).

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@missacre said:

If Roddenberry's spinning in his grave, he's been spinning since Deep Space Nine, arguably since Star Trek VI and certain TNG episodes even. Star Trek departed from Roddenberry's original vision some time ago and it's been better for it.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And now there is a bridge simulator lite section, not very good. Game starts strong but its trying to be too many things.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosdl said:

And now there is a bridge simulator lite section, not very good. Game starts strong but its trying to be too many things.

Great to hear some hands-on impressions. Interested to hear your opinion once you've finished it. It didn't look great from what I've seen but maybe I'll pick it up for a budget price if it doesn't get too terrible.

Also it seems like the first reviews for the movie are out and guess what...it's a big action movie with lens flare, a great performance by Cumberbatch and apparently the plot is kinda convoluted. Pretty much what I expected. I'll probably enjoy it as I liked the first movie quite a bit.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@altairre said:

and apparently the plot is kinda convoluted.

So Star Trek!

dOm_CaTz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's ok so far(played about halfway thru to the 2nd mission) and so far ok. lip sync is ok, voice acting above average and some jank. much better than some of the other movie tie in games i'v played(iron man, man was that game shit), but not better than others(tron evo and green lantern). hopefully it doesn't get bad but maybe it will(like jeff and marcus beer have said on twitter).

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By MrOldboy

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosdl said:

@altairre said:

and apparently the plot is kinda convoluted.

So Star Trek!

Exactly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.