Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Trek: The Video Game

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Apr 23, 2013

Pair up as Captain Kirk or Commander Spock in this co-operative based third-person shooter set after the events of the 2009 film.

J.J. Abrams 'emotionally hurt' by Star Trek: The Video Game

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Sounds about right. The game was bad. Not super super bad but just bad. A cash grab if nothing else.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By damodar

I can't imagine the game would have had anything more than a negligible effect on the movie. It's kind of a shitty thing to say. Between the limited time and money that the developers would have had and the fact that what he does isn't exactly high art, it seems like an unnecessary diss. Now the developers are going to be the ones who are emotionally hurt.

I'm more emotionally hurt that JJ Abrams has his mitts on the big two sci fi franchises.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By RonGalaxy

@damodar said:

I can't imagine the game would have had anything more than a negligible effect on the movie. It's kind of a shitty thing to say. Between the limited time and money that the developers would have had and the fact that what he does isn't exactly high art, it seems like an unnecessary diss. Now the developers are going to be the ones who are emotionally hurt.

I'm more emotionally hurt that JJ Abrams has his mitts on the big two sci fi franchises.

He's done with star trek now. He's not directing the next one/is no longer involved with that franchise (he might be involved in an advisement capacity, but I'm not sure)

Avatar image for burningstickman
    BurningStickMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Makes some sense, actually. He's the right age to remember LJN.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

Pretty sure Gene Roddenberry would be emotionally hurt by Abrams two Star Trek films.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

When will this guy make a video-game?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Turambar

I'm just somewhat interested in the Valve project Abrams briefly mentioned in that article.

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By firecracker22

I don't know, I love TOS, but it seems like they did did right by it in the first film. Haven't seen Into Darkness yet, I should this weekend since I got it on blu-ray. And hearing so much about the other Star Trek films, it sounds like Abrams has managed a good way to make it happen on film. Star Trek is probably way better off being serialized, rather than condensed into two hours like a film demands. But, making it a successful blockbuster summer flick is something pretty cool, since I've heard people claim it'd be impossible for that brand.

And I don't know, that game was released a while before the film. Some people buy into the 'leaving a bad taste' factor, but I doubt there's anyway to back it up. But, it depends on who you ask. Some people are convinced that if you have some market tie-in to this other thing (in this case a film) that it can fuck with it's vibe. I'm not entirely convinced either, but I can understand how someone would feel that way.

Him on Star Wars can only be good. Considering how far off it's gotten with the prequel series. It can't get any worse, can it?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

On JJ Abrams, get over yourself.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@firecracker22: While I don't necessarily like Abrams interpretation of the Star Trek series (mostly the blockbuster action approach, not necessarily the aesthetic which was spot on) I think he'll do fine with Star Wars. Star Wars is much more suited to that method and style of summer spectaculars.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Oh God. 'Emotionally hurt'? Ugh.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was emotionally hurt by the last two seasons of Lost and Cloverfield. Oh yeah Fringe and Alcatraz hurt, just a little.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

The game may be bad but I doubt it had much, if any, effect on Star Trek Into Darkness's performance. If bad Star Trek games had a negative impact on Star Trek as a whole, the franchise would have been dead before Abrams ever touched it.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Read the article, forgot the point, and now all I can say is, "Fuck. Please, please, PLEASE valve, don't make a fucking Portal movie."

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@daneian said:

Pretty sure Gene Roddenberry would be emotionally hurt by Abrams two Star Trek films.

Roddenberry didn't like what they did to Star Trek with the Wrath of Khan onwards and TNG only became good when he stopped being involved.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#18  Edited By Slag

I'm emotionally hurt by what J.J. Abrams (and Michael Bay) did to Transformers, so I guess we're even

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Abrams really needs some perspective if he doesn't realize that the vast majority of video game movie tie-ins are terrible by now.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@slag:

JJ Abrams did not work on the Transformers movies.

@hailinel said:

Abrams really needs some perspective if he doesn't realize that the vast majority of video game movie tie-ins are terrible by now.

Despite the disappointment, Abrams added that it isn't surprising for games based on films to be low in quality.

"I think that, the thing that we all know is that anyone who loves video games and loves movies," he said. "Very, very rarely does a movie based on a game, or a game based on a movie, really work. It usually ends up being something that everyone that goes to play feels like this was a marketing decision made by a room full of people that wanted to capitalize on a title. That's no way to make a game and no way to make a movie.

Don't really get people saying Abrams should get over himself for being "emotionally hurt." You put your life into something and it turns out to be shit. I'd probably be pretty upset too.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

@milkman said:

@slag:

JJ Abrams did not work on the Transformers movies.

Oh crap that's my bad, I got him mixed up with the Roberto Orci/Alex Kurtzman writing duo who worked on both Star Trek and Transformers.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You mean to tell me that the fucker who doused Star Trek in about seven thousand pounds of lens flare is talking about how he's hurt by a video game?

My fucking EYES are burned out of my head! Fuck Abrams.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:

You mean to tell me that the fucker who doused Star Trek in about seven thousand pounds of lens flare is talking about how he's hurt by a video game?

My fucking EYES are burned out of my head! Fuck Abrams.

You think that was bad, imagine what he's gonna do to the next 6 Star Wars movies.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
    deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star Trek fans 'emotionally hurt' by J.J. Abrams

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Sinusoidal

Abrams' style is much more suited to Star Wars than Star Trek. Bombast, flash, ultimately shallow. For better or for worse (definitely worse IMHO) he returned Trek back to its campy roots. Star Wars at this point could actually benefit from that.

I don't give two shits about his feelings.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Abrams' style is much more suited to Star Wars than Star Trek. Bombast, flash, ultimately shallow. For better or for worse (definitely worse IMHO) he returned Trek back to its campy roots. Star Wars at this point could actually benefit from that.

I don't give two shits about his feelings.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By korwin

Abrams' will do much better with Star Wars than Star Trek. Give that stuff back to Ron Moore to work with :P

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

it was a movie tie in game in the vein of every movie tie in game made since videogames started.

It really didn't need to be anything more than it is. I'm sure time, budget and restrictions on content could never allow it to be much more that fine.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once, JUST ONCE, I'd like to see a Star Wars movie that doesn't revolve around Jedi, Darth whatever, or Boba Fett. I loved Episodes 1-6, but I'd like to see something new for once, like the 95% of the galaxy that's ignored.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Well - he should take some time out of his day, learn gamedesign, found a studio, fund a game - and direct a good Star Trek game his own damn self!

No seriously, I'd love for J.J. to lend videogames more credence by taking them seriously enough to directing his own game. Now where's that Guillermo del Torro joint?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

maybe all the jawas get marooned on a mysterious island...

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Seppli

@missacre said:

Once, JUST ONCE, I'd like to see a Star Wars movie that doesn't revolve around Jedi, Darth whatever, or Boba Fett. I loved Episodes 1-6, but I'd like to see something new for once, like the 95% of the galaxy that's ignored.

If I remember correctly, the recent Clone Wars show had a quite a few episodes with other protagonists than Jedis. Bountyhunters, diplomats, Mandalorians, Droids - that kind of stuff. Pretty damn underrated show, all things considered.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

@missacre said:

If I remember correctly, the recent Clone Wars show had a quite a few episodes with other protagonists than Jedis. Bountyhunters, diplomats, Mandalorians, Droids - that kind of stuff. Pretty damn underrated show, all things considered.

That's exactly why I love that show. I'd like to see something like that, but a full-length movie.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm emotionally hurt at what he has crapped out and called two Star Trek movies.

@seppli said:

@missacre said:

Indeed. Clone Wars is great. Which is why it got canned. The good ones always do.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Sinusoidal

@missacre said:

Ask and ye shall receive!

Loading Video...

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@missacre said:

Ask and ye shall receive!

Ugh, WHY is this place full of sarcastic responses? It seems like it's too much to ask.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.