Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Trek

Franchise »

The popularity of the Star Trek television and film franchise has led to numerous games. The quality of the games have usually left a lot to be desired despite a large mod scene and community of loyal fans.

Star Trek was OK

Moeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Moeez

If you want a fun action movie with your brain turned off, and want to see young versions of some Star Trek characters, go check this film out. This is for you. It wasn't for me, however.

I'll probably do a full review of the Star Trek movie on the next podcast. I just found it was OK, mediocre. I didn't hate it, I didn't love it. Good, but not great. Etc, etc. Nothing special about it, only one good action scene. I hate to deconstruct, but I'm trying to understand why people are gushing over this movie? The cast were fine, but mentions should go to how great Kirk, Scotty, Captain Pike, and Bones were. Spock was not terrible, but when the real Spock comes, you see that the young Spock can't get those mannerisms or acting down.

If you went to see this movie just to see how the cast does, it's a great movie for you. Myself, I never watched the TOS, so I could care less of how this caters to fanboys/Trekkies, but it's less alienating than recent geek adaptations (Watchmen, Wolverine).

The movie is set-piece to set-piece, like any other action movie. In fact, the whole movie felt very much an action movie happening to involve Star Trek characters. There is no time for character development except for the 2 main characters, and not much character interplay which is why Star Trek tv series is loved so much. However, I've never seen any Star Trek movie, just the tv show, so I don't know if the movies are like filler elseworlds action-packed episodes between seasons.

The plot is really dumb. I mean, stupid. Plenty of plot holes. Coincidences and deus ex machinas up the arse. Red matter, black holes, time travelling, paradoxes. There was no thought or consistency to that stuff. This is a parallel reality, there's no continuity, none of this movie is cannon. But who cares, it's a bad sci-fi movie, and if you're going to see this as a proper sci-fi film, you'll be sorely disappointed. This movie will never be considered on a list of best sci-fi movies, but maybe JJ Abrams didn't want that.

It's not that good of an action movie. There's only one good action sequence, and it involves skydiving onto a planet destroyer beam. It has great suspense, ups and downs. However, the rest of the movie fails at giving tension and suspense to the action, so it feels like you're watching someone play a videogame on the easy difficulty. There are no stakes raised, and it's almost comical when Kirk+Spock raid the Romulan ship as a two-man army to kill everyone and get to the final boss. Then the movie ends. The space battle scenes were serviceable, but definitely not to the level of choreography you find in the new Battlestar Galactica. There is no drama to these action scenes in the movie. It's very one-sided.

Nero was a terrible villain, with just stupid motivations. He waits 25 years JUST to meet a dude? I couldn't believe Eric Bana was acting, considering how great he was in Munich, Hulkand Black Hawk Down.

The homages were fine, naturally added, didn't feel hokey when someone said "live long and prosper" or other classic lines. The humour was great, added some much needed chemistry. The kid stories of kid Kirk and kid Spock were bad. Spock having Vulcan bullies? Laughable. Kirk jumping out of a car at the VERY last second as the car falls off a cliff with "Sabotage" in the background? So dumb, should've cut that scene entirely.

What did I find good? Like I mentioned, the cast were overall good. I loved Chekov, he was so awkward and weird, and worked great as comic relief. The opening with Kirk's dad facing death while son is born was great tragedy, and is the best scene in the entire movie.

Which is sad, because having the best part of the movie at the start of the movie is an indicator when the movie was just not thought out or executed well. I couldn't get immersed into the movie, I didn't connect with the characters as much as I know JJ Abrams can do (Mission Impossible 3), and the cinematography was a mess. Blue Lens flares in my eyes ALL THE BLOODY TIME! It really gave me a headache, it was laughable, and I couldn't believe that it was that way throughout the movie.

The music score was inappropriate at times, sometimes forcefully tugging emotions when there didn't need to be. For a movie this big, you expect a grand score, but this was fairly generic and not as good as the trailer. Not as terrible as Watchmen, but kind of disappointing if you're wanting an emotional score for a big blockbuster film.

I'm sorry to say, but just like Watchmen, the trailers are better than the actual movie. You'll forget this movie in a month's time, considering how little of the movie is memorable or unique. And people comparing this to Dark Knight should watch Dark Knight again, apologise to themselves for even mentioning both in the same breath, and just admit it's a forgettable action movie involving Star Trek characters.

The reason I'm so down on the movie is because it was a missed opportunity for Abrams and the writers. The writers and Abrams put a lot of thought into the immersion of MI:3 especially with when Tom Cruise is captured and you get this insane performance. But in this film, they didn't try, and I was surprised when my dad truthfully said "it was too kiddie", which made me think this was Star Trek for KIDS, which is ironic since the tagline for the ads is, "this isn't your father's Star Trek!

This movie is only good for Trekkies to see the cast, or for n00bs who might want to get into Star Trek. It's a great intro course for those people.

P.S. Really psyched for Terminator now!

Fight with me in the comments section! 

Moeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Moeez

If you want a fun action movie with your brain turned off, and want to see young versions of some Star Trek characters, go check this film out. This is for you. It wasn't for me, however.

I'll probably do a full review of the Star Trek movie on the next podcast. I just found it was OK, mediocre. I didn't hate it, I didn't love it. Good, but not great. Etc, etc. Nothing special about it, only one good action scene. I hate to deconstruct, but I'm trying to understand why people are gushing over this movie? The cast were fine, but mentions should go to how great Kirk, Scotty, Captain Pike, and Bones were. Spock was not terrible, but when the real Spock comes, you see that the young Spock can't get those mannerisms or acting down.

If you went to see this movie just to see how the cast does, it's a great movie for you. Myself, I never watched the TOS, so I could care less of how this caters to fanboys/Trekkies, but it's less alienating than recent geek adaptations (Watchmen, Wolverine).

The movie is set-piece to set-piece, like any other action movie. In fact, the whole movie felt very much an action movie happening to involve Star Trek characters. There is no time for character development except for the 2 main characters, and not much character interplay which is why Star Trek tv series is loved so much. However, I've never seen any Star Trek movie, just the tv show, so I don't know if the movies are like filler elseworlds action-packed episodes between seasons.

The plot is really dumb. I mean, stupid. Plenty of plot holes. Coincidences and deus ex machinas up the arse. Red matter, black holes, time travelling, paradoxes. There was no thought or consistency to that stuff. This is a parallel reality, there's no continuity, none of this movie is cannon. But who cares, it's a bad sci-fi movie, and if you're going to see this as a proper sci-fi film, you'll be sorely disappointed. This movie will never be considered on a list of best sci-fi movies, but maybe JJ Abrams didn't want that.

It's not that good of an action movie. There's only one good action sequence, and it involves skydiving onto a planet destroyer beam. It has great suspense, ups and downs. However, the rest of the movie fails at giving tension and suspense to the action, so it feels like you're watching someone play a videogame on the easy difficulty. There are no stakes raised, and it's almost comical when Kirk+Spock raid the Romulan ship as a two-man army to kill everyone and get to the final boss. Then the movie ends. The space battle scenes were serviceable, but definitely not to the level of choreography you find in the new Battlestar Galactica. There is no drama to these action scenes in the movie. It's very one-sided.

Nero was a terrible villain, with just stupid motivations. He waits 25 years JUST to meet a dude? I couldn't believe Eric Bana was acting, considering how great he was in Munich, Hulkand Black Hawk Down.

The homages were fine, naturally added, didn't feel hokey when someone said "live long and prosper" or other classic lines. The humour was great, added some much needed chemistry. The kid stories of kid Kirk and kid Spock were bad. Spock having Vulcan bullies? Laughable. Kirk jumping out of a car at the VERY last second as the car falls off a cliff with "Sabotage" in the background? So dumb, should've cut that scene entirely.

What did I find good? Like I mentioned, the cast were overall good. I loved Chekov, he was so awkward and weird, and worked great as comic relief. The opening with Kirk's dad facing death while son is born was great tragedy, and is the best scene in the entire movie.

Which is sad, because having the best part of the movie at the start of the movie is an indicator when the movie was just not thought out or executed well. I couldn't get immersed into the movie, I didn't connect with the characters as much as I know JJ Abrams can do (Mission Impossible 3), and the cinematography was a mess. Blue Lens flares in my eyes ALL THE BLOODY TIME! It really gave me a headache, it was laughable, and I couldn't believe that it was that way throughout the movie.

The music score was inappropriate at times, sometimes forcefully tugging emotions when there didn't need to be. For a movie this big, you expect a grand score, but this was fairly generic and not as good as the trailer. Not as terrible as Watchmen, but kind of disappointing if you're wanting an emotional score for a big blockbuster film.

I'm sorry to say, but just like Watchmen, the trailers are better than the actual movie. You'll forget this movie in a month's time, considering how little of the movie is memorable or unique. And people comparing this to Dark Knight should watch Dark Knight again, apologise to themselves for even mentioning both in the same breath, and just admit it's a forgettable action movie involving Star Trek characters.

The reason I'm so down on the movie is because it was a missed opportunity for Abrams and the writers. The writers and Abrams put a lot of thought into the immersion of MI:3 especially with when Tom Cruise is captured and you get this insane performance. But in this film, they didn't try, and I was surprised when my dad truthfully said "it was too kiddie", which made me think this was Star Trek for KIDS, which is ironic since the tagline for the ads is, "this isn't your father's Star Trek!

This movie is only good for Trekkies to see the cast, or for n00bs who might want to get into Star Trek. It's a great intro course for those people.

P.S. Really psyched for Terminator now!

Fight with me in the comments section! 

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By c1337us

I'm by no means a Trekkie, just a casual fan but I really enjoyed the film. Too bad you didnt like it so much. But we cant all like the same things.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By TwoOneFive

Um, i thought it was excellent and my brain was on the entire time. Trekkers have been vastly overrating the intelligence of Star Trek for years and years.  Besides the 96% rating on rotten tomatoes completely disagrees with you.

I also thought it was very memorable like the majority of those positive reviewing critics say, when this summer is over, no other movie will stand out in my memory better than this excellent reboot. terminator 4 is bound to disapoint, and the first transformers kinda sucked. 
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By End_Boss

When desiring people to take your review seriously, you should try and counterbalance your arguments to give the impression of an objective viewpoint. Your entire post seemed to be bashing the movie, and whenever you did point out any pros, you immediately struck down your own argument in favor of explaining why the movie was bad. Again.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By TheKidNixon

Mild spoilers follow:

I would have the humbly disagree that Star Trek is a dumb action movie. Yes, the science is nonsense (where did this trope that black holes equal time travel come from exactly?) but Star Trek, despite what some hardcore fans might object, has never been about hard science fiction. It is about the excitement of exploration and the interrelations between people from different societies and civilizations. It is the frontier romance for the 20th (and now, 21st) century.

The film's strongest suit is the fact that the characters play so well off of each other, especially Spock and Kirk. Also, I'm not sure why you're so down on Quinto's variant of Spock; for my money, it was the best performance of the film by a country mile. It had the familiar cool veneer of Spock, but was clearly a young man still seeking out his own identity, dealing with coming to terms with is own pride and anger. His issues with Kirk all arise from his innate need to feel superior to him, but seeing that Kirk's fire is what gives him power and ultimately allows him to become the Captain.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TwoOneFive
    TheKidNixon said:
    "Mild spoilers follow:I would have the humbly disagree that Star Trek is a dumb action movie. Yes, the science is nonsense (where did this trope that black holes equal time travel come from exactly?) but Star Trek, despite what some hardcore fans might object, has never been about hard science fiction. It is about the excitement of exploration and the interrelations between people from different societies and civilizations. It is the frontier romance for the 20th (and now, 21st) century. The film's strongest suit is the fact that the characters play so well off of each other, especially Spock and Kirk. Also, I'm not sure why you're so down on Quinto's variant of Spock; for my money, it was the best performance of the film by a country mile. It had the familiar cool veneer of Spock, but was clearly a young man still seeking out his own identity, dealing with coming to terms with is own pride and anger. His issues with Kirk all arise from his innate need to feel superior to him, but seeing that Kirk's fire is what gives him power and ultimately allows him to become the Captain."
    i agree. the thing that made star trek tos and the movies that followed (and even TNG) great for me and what made me a fan of the series, was the characters. it never had anything to do with space and science and all that tech stuff. dorks got all geeked out over that and turned into moronic trekkers and started acting like star trek was all about canon nonsense. the whole point of the show was to take very good characters that people loved and throw them into different situations to see how they react to them. thats it. this new movie was excellent to me because i felt they nailed the characters, and made care/like them more than ever before.

Moeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Moeez
    End_Boss said:
    When desiring people to take your review seriously, you should try and counterbalance your arguments to give the impression of ... [more]
    I pointed out the god and bad parts, I didn't bash the movie outright. I think it's important you know this, there's no such thing as an "objective" viewpoint. Opinions are subjective, hello.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By pweidman

I saw the movie today and was blown away.  The production values alone were incredible.   The sets/ship models were incredibly detailed and the special effects were top notch.  Also, Nimoy's role/appearance was an awesome inclusion.  I've always really enjoyed the series of movies and shows, but I am by no means a trekkie, and it's really great to see the franchise so competently revived.  This movie really did the franchise and universe true justice imo.  I hope we see sequels and spinoffs, and  with the great public reception, those things are probably a foregone conclusion. 

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By delta_ass

If you think Terminator's gonna be better then Star Trek, I am here to tell you that your hopes and dreams are going to be crushed.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By BigBoss1911
    Delta_Ass said:
    If you think Terminator's gonna be better then Star Trek, I am here to tell you that your hopes and ... [more]
    I saw terminator yesterday,it was a satisfying action movie,nothing special,but deserved much better reviews.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.