Star Wars 1313 Looks Real, Real Good

#51 Posted by Aleryn (705 posts) -

Reminds me of Dark Forces, the FIRST one. Always a good thing.

#52 Posted by Bribo (608 posts) -

I do not claim to speak for everyone, but I don't see how a narrow corridor with plentiful cover (however well it is rendered) is something worth noting.

That was the oldest looking video I've seen during this E3.

#53 Edited by NTM (7516 posts) -

I think Brad's really into good looking games, and that's OK. I agree, the game looks fantastic. The detail around the mouth for the facials look really good, but I don't believe the eyes, but maybe that's just the character and not an all around thing. Other than that, the environments and the way it's visualized is amazing.

#54 Edited by mewarmo990 (837 posts) -

Had time to stop by and see this today. It's... really impressive. I just hope the rest of the actual game is good, because the graphics are what blew my socks off, not the gameplay that was shown.

#55 Edited by Jackel2072 (2278 posts) -

This is reminding me of force unleashed. Remeber when they first showed that game off? Man they had the crazy physics and euphoria. Then the game came out and sucked! All I'm saying here is yes the tech is impressive (most impressive) but I'm going to take this All with a large helping of salt until I get too excited about a mature star wars game.  

With that said I like the idea and tone, so I really hope this works out and lucusarts gets back on track with making awesome games again!

#56 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2913 posts) -

Despite my dislike of Star Wars, I'm actually kind of interested in this. Probably because there's no Jedi. Jedi are so goddamn played out.

#57 Posted by august (3861 posts) -
@Jackel2072 said:
All I'm saying here is yes the tech is impressive (most impressive)
Nice.
#58 Posted by Tychoid (62 posts) -

It has been too long since we have seen a game that has pushed the technical envelope. I am damn glad to see that it is LucasArts of all people that have the guts to be the front men/women. And it looks like a damn interesting game, visual tech aside.

#59 Posted by popmasterruler (574 posts) -

"and it makes me hopeful that there might once again be a Star Wars game worth getting legitimately excited about in the not-so-faraway future."

So I'm guessing Brad didn't like The Force Unleashed games?

#60 Posted by pweidman (2351 posts) -

Maxed pcs make games look good.

That and Watch Dogs looks better imo.

#61 Posted by iAmJohn (6131 posts) -

I'm sure this game looks absolutely incredible and is truly a sight to behold, but I see that it's all window dressing for an Uncharted total conversion and I tune it all out.

#62 Posted by mrpandaman (870 posts) -

@onan said:

@mrpandaman said:

Color me excited about this game.

Color me excited about next generation hardware.

What color do you want to be colored?

#63 Posted by Zeraldonith (12 posts) -

LIGHTSABER ON! (Minus the lightsaber)

#64 Posted by Patman99 (1619 posts) -

@onan said:

@mrpandaman said:

Colour me excited about both these things.

#65 Posted by HubrisRanger (489 posts) -

Maybe I'm just a little vindictive prick, but I can't help but think of the 8-4 dudes asking "Does anyone still care about Star Wars?", only for this to be one of the big buzzes of the show.

Also, who is this team and how did LucasArts keep them secret for two years of development on an interesting looking game? I bet with all the old-timer whiplash over Kinect Star Wars, someone over there just wanted to flip the switch and be all "LOOK WE'RE MAKING A GAME FOR YOU TOO SO GO EAT A BAG OF DICKS, UGHHHHHH!" So...good self-control on their part?

#66 Posted by avidwriter (667 posts) -

"throwing them at the best PC hardware you can get right now" which means unless you have that PC when you play it ain't looking like that.

#67 Edited by Peanut (954 posts) -

God damn it, you fucking people. Are none of you excited to see SOME glimpse of what the potential next-gen looks like? Does it not entice you in any way shape or form? Do you need to shit on this because it's Star Wars or "third-person covered based shooter boo hoo!" or is it just impossible to make some of you even remotely enthused about something?

Also, stop making definitive fucking statements based on videos you've seen online. You have no first-hand experience, so your statements are even more useless than they'd normally be.

#68 Posted by RandomAtom (90 posts) -

Yes, please.

#69 Posted by SSully (4266 posts) -

If Sony or Microsoft don't have the horsepower to play this game as is then they need to recall their current secret future consoles and make sure it can.

#70 Posted by Space_Sandwich (108 posts) -

So does anybody know if the supporting character in the clip is voiced by H. Jon Benjamin (Archer, Coach McGurk)? He sounds exactly like him. It's really bothering/selling me.

#71 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

It is really weird how much Uncharted has bled into other games over the last couple of years. From Splinter Cell to Dead Space, it seems like everyone is taking cues from Uncharted. This is perhaps the most direct influence I've seen yet. Not necessarily a bad thing, but yeah, I'm kind of over the whole "spectacle" thing.

#72 Posted by GozerTC (458 posts) -

Okay no Jedi No Force, I'm down with that and in fact I'm glad about that.

Still would have preferred an Xwing kind of game but I can see how that's not popular now a days.

I totally thought Star Wars Uncharted seeing that and that's not really a BAD bad thing. Just an eh... thing.

Oh, and please don't say "pushing photo realistic" it's not. Is it good? Sure, but we've still got a great big Uncanny Valley to cross and we're not there yet.

#73 Posted by DoubleKR (101 posts) -

Uncharted with the last scene.

Honestly does any other game or games do that as much, or as well as Naughty Dog?

#74 Edited by SmilingPig (1340 posts) -

You know what looked great also: Time Traveler for the arcade. The game controlled like shit, but it looked great.

#75 Posted by Jazzycola (663 posts) -

@Downside said:

I hear it was running on some of the best hardware out there, but just how high end? 680/7970 range or 690/Dual 680/Dual 7970 range? Remember you saying it was barely keeping 30 FPS on the podcast, wondering just how demanding this next gen stuff might be on PC's.

edited for grammar

I have to suspect that the need for high end gpus is mainly due to it being poorly optimized at the moment. There's no way Lucas Arts is going to make a game that will not run on next gen consoles cause there's no way next gen consoles will have a high end GPU. Even so high end now is mid end in a year so really it doesn't matter as this game will not be released till at least 2014. I think that this tech demo was rushed to show people that Lucas Arts still does indeed exist and that they do in fact make games.

#76 Posted by AngelN7 (2972 posts) -

Gotta say after seeing stuff like Uncharted 3 and The Wticher 2 (in videos) I said yeah next-gen big whop is just gonna look slightly better but man... I'm impressed (and I know you'll say this isn't next gen this is a PC and PC can do anything!, yes they can but I play on a console so something like this on a next-gen system is good enough for me)

#77 Posted by YummyTreeSap (353 posts) -

@gladspooky said:

Walk down a corridor, scripted sequence spews cover into said corridor, corridor fills up with bad guys.

Yup, that's a modern video game.

Sure is.

#78 Posted by abara (229 posts) -

I wish I could get excited about this game, but they said the same things about Force Unleashed and that was a polished turd. Not going to get burned again.

#79 Posted by Incapability (215 posts) -

@Peanut: I completely support your opinion, but - this is the Internet, man, people get excited for weird tentacle-rape horse-butt shows and sputter with disgust when they see someone do a good job of something.

It seems like it's just the way of things.

#80 Posted by blacklab (1586 posts) -

I dunno man, it looks pretty awesome. Hard to know what resemblance the final product will have to this demo, though.

#81 Posted by Sharpless (472 posts) -

@Patman99 said:

@onan said:

@mrpandaman said:

Colour me excited about both these things.

Color me badd.

#82 Posted by PHEDIA (35 posts) -

Could this be a potential Wii U game. This is just a thought.

#83 Posted by vinsanityv22 (1064 posts) -

I don't understand how you can be so dumb. Yes, the game is sharp-looking. And sure, all of ILM's custom renders and their attention to detail is quite eye-popping. But implying it can't run on current gen hardware is beyond shortsighted. For fuck's sake, you're RIGHT NEXT to games like Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls. Putting it on cutting edge PC hardware may keep the game's resolution very high and keep it from screen-tearing, but this is TOTALLY DOABLE on modern hardware still, Brad. Fuck. This has been the no.1 most annoying thing the internet has said at E3 all year. Dumb fucker journalists kept saying the same thing about Ubi Soft's new IP, Watch Dogs, until they just came out and said, "It's for PC, 360 and PS3 people".

It's running on Unreal Engine 3, even. Their custom engine for Force Unleashed was probably more taxing to the 360.

#84 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

While I would prefer a Bounty Hunter game to be more Prey 2 than Uncharted 2, it does look pretty great, and the non-jedi aspects of Star Wars have always deeply interested me.

#85 Posted by geirr (2676 posts) -

Looks like a buffed up Unreal 3 engine? The eyes still seem 5 years old though but who cares about such.

#86 Posted by CJduke (796 posts) -

@vinsanityv22 said:

I don't understand how you can be so dumb. Yes, the game is sharp-looking. And sure, all of ILM's custom renders and their attention to detail is quite eye-popping. But implying it can't run on current gen hardware is beyond shortsighted. For fuck's sake, you're RIGHT NEXT to games like Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls. Putting it on cutting edge PC hardware may keep the game's resolution very high and keep it from screen-tearing, but this is TOTALLY DOABLE on modern hardware still, Brad. Fuck. This has been the no.1 most annoying thing the internet has said at E3 all year. Dumb fucker journalists kept saying the same thing about Ubi Soft's new IP, Watch Dogs, until they just came out and said, "It's for PC, 360 and PS3 people".

It's running on Unreal Engine 3, even. Their custom engine for Force Unleashed was probably more taxing to the 360.

sure "totally doable" but it sure as hell won't look that good on a ps3 or 360.

#87 Edited by Rox360 (1075 posts) -

@vinsanityv22 said:

Those characters look to have about twice as high a polycount as I've seen on anything this generation. I could barely spot any individual polygons at all, even on ecorative objects that normally are condemned to be square or, at best, pentagonal. Do you realize how high the mesh resolution has to be for cloth physics to behave as smoothly as they do in that video? I haven't seen that kind of polygon density used anywhere in a modern game. And for it to be calculated to move that smoothly with zero signs of clipping at least in the brief section where it's possible to scrutinize... No, I'm going to have to argue. You can't do that on the current generation of consoles. Not while keeping a respectable framerate in a complete scene with explosions, action and, most importantly, player control.

The Last of Us and Beyond look great - for 360/PS3 games. But they both still look like something that could've come out a year ago, or two, and no one would've blinked. Plenty of muddy textures, plainly visible polygons and obvious graphical compromises in both those demos, and I didn't even look closely. This is beyond that.

I promise not to be sore if I'm wrong. I would be indescribably happy if that turns out to be the case. Because that, in the most honest use of the word, is unbelievable to me.

Edit: I just watched it again, and I need to stress my point about the cloth physics. Modern games barely use actual cloth physics, if at all. You see it now and then on an exaggerated scarf or a hero's cape, or a stylish trail behind a spear or something designed to be very noticable. In this video, it's on the guy's freaking sleeves. We simply do not have the polygons or computing time to waste on animating a goddamn shirt sleeve on the current generation of gaming platforms. It's not something anyone would ever notice, so it's not something anyone would ever make, unless they truly had the power to make everything else look better than anything you've ever seen and still have oodles of power left to draw out of the system.

Edit 2: Unless they specifically use those highly detailed, animated models in cutscenes and seamlessly swap them out for lower resolution ones in combat. It's hard to tell, but that may actually be the case. But then... No, I don't know, something still doesn't seem right. Now you've got me hoping this is actually a current generation game. That would be the most impressive thing I've seen since... hell, since I got into gaming.

#88 Posted by CornBREDX (5800 posts) -

I'm gonna preface this by saying the game looks great and I cant wait to play it.

That being said, I don't see the amazing fidelity everyone keeps talking about. Like its too powerful for modern computers or something. I mean it looks really good, but I didn't see that kind of amazing.

Maybe its just because I haven't seen it live, i don't know. I also don't have an eye for technical detail so I probably just don't get it.

Still, though. I really like the look of it and the direction they're taking with it. Looks like it will be a lot of fun.

#89 Posted by Aetheldod (3681 posts) -

@Peanut: Games are not only about graphics ... you need good gameplay (fun) to go with it , and lets be honest more uncharted like boredom is not cool in my books ..... if you are exited well good for you duder , but this kind of games no longer compels me at all

#90 Posted by ddensel (388 posts) -

"no Jedi, no Force"

Thank fucking Christ.

#91 Edited by Otzlowe (337 posts) -

All these wondrous new graphics and yet the UI looks like shit.

Also, I don't like the blaster effects / sound. Aside from that though, you could say I'm stoked.

@vinsanityv22 said:

You present your case in a cogent, level-headed demeanor that deserves the utmost respect in return. I - and clearly others - agree with Brad. Until there's any better metric or some sort of official statement, you should cool your tits, sparky.

#92 Edited by chose (272 posts) -

If that runs on a very high-end gaming PC, this game will not run at 1080p and 60fps on the PS4 and Xbox720, unless those console cost 1000$. The next gen will cost at most what the graphic card to run this demo on a dedicated system (console) would. PS4 and X720 will not look significantly better, like the SD to 720p leap, now there's the 720p to 1080p gap, there will be more polys, higher shaders, overall it'll be better, but it won't look like this demo, not even close.

#93 Posted by Duskwind (141 posts) -

From personal experience, compressed video footage doesn't do the graphics of a game justice. Not even close. I'm sure the real thing looks a heck of a lot better. Let's just hope the gameplay and story match up.

#94 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

@chose said:

If that runs on a very high-end gaming PC, this game will not run at 1080p and 60fps on the PS4 and Xbox720, unless those console cost 1000$. The next gen will cost at most what the graphic card to run this demo on a dedicated system (console) would. The next gen will not look significantly better, like the SD to 720p leap, now they need to do the 720p to 1080p, there will be more polys, higher shaders, more memory, but still it won't look like this demo, not even close.

It's kind of depressing really, knowing that there really isn't much to get excited about when it comes to next generation graphics anymore. Makes me sad. =(

#95 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (733 posts) -

I think whenever a game looks amazing it's usually a very good sign. I mean how many unbelievably good looking games are horrible? Very few, because when you can afford to make such a good looking game, you can afford to make a solid, well-crafted piece of entertainment. This kind of reminds me of when Gears of War came out, remember how amazing that game looked when it came out? That turned out great. Other games that I remember being blown away by visually when they first came out...Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario 64, Goldeneye, Metal Gear Solid 2, Ninja Gaiden, Splinter Cell, Doom 3, Half Life 2, The Chronicles of Riddick, Resident Evil Remake, Resident Evil 4, Grand Theft Auto 4. All those games I remember thinking they had some of the best graphics I'd ever seen, and all of them were at least very good games (most classics).

So what I'm saying is that when a game looks fantastic it's mostly a sign of good things.

#96 Edited by chose (272 posts) -
@SathingtonWaltz said:

@chose said:

If that runs on a very high-end gaming PC, this game will not run at 1080p and 60fps on the PS4 and Xbox720, unless those console cost 1000$. The next gen will cost at most what the graphic card to run this demo on a dedicated system (console) would. The next gen will not look significantly better, like the SD to 720p leap, now they need to do the 720p to 1080p, there will be more polys, higher shaders, more memory, but still it won't look like this demo, not even close.

It's kind of depressing really, knowing that there really isn't much to get excited about when it comes to next generation graphics anymore. Makes me sad. =(

Well it' been this way since consoles want to be hardcore gaming rigs pretending to push the limits of graphic fidelity. I think we can all agree consoles should stick to fun and accessibility, while aiming at affordability like the Wii did.

Anyway, I'd rather play Kill Switch over and over and over and over, than another 3rd person cover shooter. Talking about replaying something over and over, I think I should go back to my attempt of reaching 99 lives in Contra (NES), now THAT was fun and meaningful.
#97 Edited by MeAuntieNora (619 posts) -

But an extended liminal phase like this is fascinating, and almost unheard of. I have to wonder if a controlled stagnation of technological advancement would be in our best interest. We banned sugary drinks in NYC, now let's take away the cultural impetus to constantly spend more and more and more on devices and data we can't afford. There is valuable research data to be obtained if we just suffer through the indignity of playing on current-gen hardware for another half decade or so. I think we can all make the sacrifice, and I don't know why we're eager to upgrade after the cellophane and lubricant coated debacle that was the unveiling of current-gen. Cerebrospinal fluid can provide vital information, but to extract it requires a contortion of the vertebral column so a large-gauge needle can painfully suck it through gaps in vertebrae. The knowledge gained from the sample might some day save the same person's life.

Why doggedly strain towards singularity?

#98 Posted by Beaudacious (934 posts) -

Gears of War 5 : Star Wars Texture Pack

#99 Posted by Smokey_Earhole (474 posts) -

@PHEDIA said:

Could this be a potential Wii U game. This is just a thought.

Hahahahahahaha.

#100 Posted by Tanstaafl (25 posts) -

Really this is supposed to blow me away? I've seen games look about this good on my pc right now without it breaking a sweat.. I'm a bit disappointed.. though at least I know I'll be able to run "next gen" games no problem.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.