Battlefront 3 was 99% done

#1 Edited by kermoosh (911 posts) -

i went to gametrailers today and they posted an article where the head guy from free radical said star wars battlefront 3 was 99% done but was canned for 'financial reaons' - link below

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/40992/star-wars-battlefront-iii-was-99-done

my take, i don't know why the guy waited several years to tell us this, it seems kinda hard to believe that the game was that far into development without any official trailers or announcements being released. i'd love for disney to finish this up and release it on the current consoles but i doubt the game was that finished

so what are your thoughts? Do you think disney might finish the game up, or is it doomed to never be released?

edit: so there are some sources http://www.giantbomb.com/star-wars-battlefront-iii/61-24949/what-really-happened-to-battlefront-iii/35-544956/ by this duder on the forums that says the game was practically unplayable at the time and was a disaster

if anything its still nice to hear that battlefront 3 lives on in spirit

#2 Posted by buft (3316 posts) -

From the video that leaked out after the game was canned i would say 99% was a bit of a stretch, maybe like 70% since AI wasn't really finished and the engine was still poorly optimized, requiring a super computer to run at any sort of frame rate. real shame to see this game fall by the wayside though, this series in particular holds some fond memories for me of whole days wasted just playing local multiplayer with two PS2s.

#3 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

In what world is it cheaper to can a 99% completed game than just put it out?

I'm saying he's stretching the truth to drum up interest, which happens with Battlefront 3 once a year.

#4 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

it would look so outdated though if they did release it. It'd need a lot of work.

#5 Posted by HatKing (5935 posts) -

Well, that game was being developed by a company that no longer exists. I'm not expert on the matter, but I'm guessing that creates a sort of 'nightmare' scenario for obtaining what was done. I suppose, if they did have it, I would be more than happy to see Crytek UK (formally FreeRadical) finish what they started. But I'm not holding my breath.

On a side note, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Battlefront 3 in some form in the future. It was certainly one of the most profitable game franchises under that name, and I'm sure Disney knows that.

#6 Posted by Village_Guy (2568 posts) -

Fuuu-

I was so excited for Battlefront 3, and the fact that it keeps popping up for some reason, keeps reopening an old wound :(

#7 Posted by Wampa1 (658 posts) -

@HatKing: Which is why I never understood why lucasarts decided not to bother with it, seemed like printing money to me. Guess it was the focus on Forced Unleashed.

#8 Posted by mrpandaman (866 posts) -

@kermoosh said:

i went to gametrailers today and they posted an article where the head guy from free radical said star wars battlefront 3 was 99% done but was canned for 'financial reaons'

link below

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/40992/star-wars-battlefront-iii-was-99-done

my take, i don't know why the guy waited several years to tell us this, it seems kinda hard to believe that the game was that far into development without any official trailers or announcements being released. i'd love for disney to finish this up and release it on the current consoles but i doubt the game was that finished

so what are your thoughts? Do you think disney might finish the game up, or is it doomed to never be released?

Maybe the guy had to wait because of NDA he signed.

Anyhow, hopefully Disney will decide to polish and finish the game up. It's unfortunate, because both Battlefronts are games that I had lots of fun playing with friends and two of my favorite multiplayer games.

#9 Posted by DeeGee (2123 posts) -

All leaked videos of this game looked fucking terrible, so maybe financial reasons weren't the whole reason. Granted, there was always the 'this is unfinished' warning, but still.

#10 Posted by punkxblaze (2983 posts) -

JUST FUCKING MAKE IT. IT PRINTS MONEY.

#11 Posted by believer258 (11891 posts) -

If a game is 99% done then someone, somewhere, gets it released. Why not when it's so close?

#12 Posted by deano546 (182 posts) -

@punkxblaze said:

#13 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

If he truly considers the stuff in the leaked videos to be "99% complete", that company was getting ready to release one shitty broken-ass game.

Or maybe, just maybe, he's exaggerating.

#14 Posted by Jimbo (9809 posts) -

That sounds 99% true.

#15 Posted by ericdrum (405 posts) -

As a software engineer myself, the last 10 percent of every project seems to take 90% of the time. Being close to done and being done are pretty different things. That last bit of work to get everything working together is a bitch.

#16 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

@Village_Guy said:

Fuuu-

I was so excited for Battlefront 3, and the fact that it keeps popping up for some reason, keeps reopening an old wound :(

i feel you dude. i've been getting disappointed by this franchise for years now

#17 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

Ugh. I just bought Battlefront 2 on Steam and it still holds up!! God fucking dammit I feel like there are so many no brainer decisions that would be profitable yet game companies have little insight to what people actually want.

#18 Posted by BaneFireLord (2933 posts) -
@SamStrife said:

A world in which NBA Elite 11 almost existed.
#19 Posted by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -

Free Radical post-2002 is telling me about how awesome their almost complete game was. Is it the shit? Did they really rock it?

#20 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4483 posts) -

Someone get Johnny V on the phone.

#21 Posted by L44 (559 posts) -

Which game did someone find assets from Battlefront 3 in?

#22 Posted by TheHBK (5481 posts) -

99% and no official announcement or showings at any shows or trailers? Yeah right.

#23 Posted by Funkydupe (3316 posts) -

Hoping they'll stop making Clone Wars stuff and rather make a Battlefront-type game based on whatever the new Star Wars movies are going to be about. Maybe the Disney takeover played a part in why Battlefront wasn't released in its current form. If they could explore more of what PlanetSide 2 is doing as opposed to what Battlefield is doing then that'd be great; it is way more engaging to see hundreds of players than 32 on each side of the conflict.

#24 Posted by iAmJohn (6119 posts) -

Everything I have read about the development of Battlefront III suggests that this was far from the case.

#25 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1832 posts) -

i went to gametrailers today and they posted an article where the head guy from free radical said star wars battlefront 3 was 99% done but was canned for 'financial reaons'

link below

@kermoosh: well this guy on the forums who claims to have been a play tester for the game would like to say otherwise

http://www.giantbomb.com/star-wars-battlefront-iii/61-24949/what-really-happened-to-battlefront-iii/35-544956/

#26 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1832 posts) -

@L44 said:

Which game did someone find assets from Battlefront 3 in?

@L44: raccoon city

so it is implied Lucasarts may have tried to go to slant six after free radical died

#27 Posted by Superfriend (1551 posts) -

@punkxblaze said:

Nooo, they will probably hire a hundred "analysts" (i.e guys in suits who do too much drugs and have no idea of anything ever) and claim that the "target audience" is too small.

Then, they will claim that the game needs more "mass appeal" and a "broader audience". Then they will make it more like call of duty, but worse. Tack on a cinematic campaign while you´re there. Then they will spend a hundred million dollars on marketing while telling the world that this game has to "exceed their expectations" of fucking selling 5 Million copies on the first DAY.

They will then waste even more money by hiring even more guys in suits who do way too much dugs and have no idea what they´re doing. Then they will probably release it 4 years too late, to a market that never existed on the same day a new assasins creed game is released. But yeah, I´m with you- they SHOULD make this game.

#28 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

99% done content wise maybe, not actually finished and ready to ship

#29 Posted by Fearbeard (830 posts) -

I'm 99% sure the 99% number is bullshit. The only possible reason for canning a game that is 99% done is if the game is pure garbage and they don't want to sully the franchise.

#30 Posted by punkxblaze (2983 posts) -

@Superfriend said:

@punkxblaze said:

Nooo, they will probably hire a hundred "analysts" (i.e guys in suits who do too much drugs and have no idea of anything ever) and claim that the "target audience" is too small.

Then, they will claim that the game needs more "mass appeal" and a "broader audience". Then they will make it more like call of duty, but worse. Tack on a cinematic campaign while you´re there. Then they will spend a hundred million dollars on marketing while telling the world that this game has to "exceed their expectations" of fucking selling 5 Million copies on the first DAY.

They will then waste even more money by hiring even more guys in suits who do way too much dugs and have no idea what they´re doing. Then they will probably release it 4 years too late, to a market that never existed on the same day a new assasins creed game is released. But yeah, I´m with you- they SHOULD make this game.

: (

#31 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid: interesting take on the subject. thanks for link, i added it to my first comment

#32 Posted by JasonR86 (9694 posts) -

I don't even know why he would say anything at all.

#33 Posted by Animasta (14689 posts) -

@Superfriend said:

@punkxblaze said:

or, you know, it would've cost too much to finish (despite what he says no way was it 99% done, not even) for what it would've gotten

but nope blame it on suits who want to make everything call of duty, that's surely a great solution

be realistic, nostalgia alone does not a good games market make.

#34 Posted by Superfriend (1551 posts) -

@Animasta said:

or, you know, it would've cost too much to finish (despite what he says no way was it 99% done, not even) for what it would've gotten

but nope blame it on suits who want to make everything call of duty, that's surely a great solution

I am being pretty realistic here. The games industry is ruled by fear at the moment. And in some cases, this fear is highly unreasonable.

Would this sell as a 60 dollar boxed multiplatform product with a tacked on singleplayer to justify the price? Hell no. But as a PC only downloadable game with proper mod and dedicated server support- fuck yeah this would sell.

The problem these days is that the industry laments "bloated development" costs, when it is those same people who bloat the costs in the first place by having no vision other than "it has to make a lot of money".

It´s probably too late now for Battlefront, but this could have sold reeeeally well 2 or 3 years ago, reasonably priced as a download. Even on consoles. I still see a possibility for success on PC because: nostalgia, reverence for Star Wars, people accepting steam and download only games, the battlefield like gameplay that is still great and Battlefield 3 being over a year old. So I guess people would buy this over weird shit like Ravaged. When we´ve reached a point where every game has to sell a couple million copies to be considered a success, then maybe it´s time to think about the process and if every single game really has to cost bazillions of dollars. Indie PC download market says: No.

#35 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1832 posts) -

@Superfriend said:

@Animasta said:

I am being pretty realistic here. The games industry is ruled by fear at the moment. And in some cases, this fear is highly unreasonable.

Would this sell as a 60 dollar boxed multiplatform product with a tacked on singleplayer to justify the price? Hell no. But as a PC only downloadable game with proper mod and dedicated server support- fuck yeah this would sell.

The problem these days is that the industry laments "bloated development" costs, when it is those same people who bloat the costs in the first place by having no vision other than "it has to make a lot of money".

It´s probably too late now for Battlefront, but this could have sold reeeeally well 2 or 3 years ago, reasonably priced as a download. Even on consoles. I still see a possibility for success on PC because: nostalgia, reverence for Star Wars, people accepting steam and download only games, the battlefield like gameplay that is still great and Battlefield 3 being over a year old. So I guess people would buy this over weird shit like Ravaged. When we´ve reached a point where every game has to sell a couple million copies to be considered a success, then maybe it´s time to think about the process and if every single game really has to cost bazillions of dollars. Indie PC download market says: No.

im not saying it wanst lucasarts fault the game was cancelled but literally every 3 months they try to get attention and say they were the victims and Lucasarts wanted the game to be cancelled

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/723496/free-radical-head-battlefront-3-canceled-due-to-psychopaths-at-lucasarts/

#36 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

@SamStrife said:

I'm saying he's stretching the truth to drum up interest, which happens with Battlefront 3 once a year.

Maybe if the quality was perceived as not being worthy of the brand it is representing via licensing the star wars license. Damaging a major IP through a inferior release is another cost.

Or maybe a lump sum payment was due shortly after release in association with the licensing scheme?

#37 Posted by probablytuna (3654 posts) -

Fuck Lucas.

#38 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3149 posts) -

Damn it I want a new Battlefront.

#39 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Disney is focused on social games for Lucas projects so who knows...

#40 Posted by YOU_DIED (703 posts) -

@Superfriend said:

@punkxblaze said:

"We want the Call of Duty audience"

#41 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3828 posts) -

I call bullshit. Maybe content wise, but from the leaks the game looked extremely rough.

I also don't understand people's fascination with this game. I thought the Battlefront games were okay but they were just poor versions of Battlefield. People should be asking for more than that, because a legit BF esque game would be amazing.

The developer had pedigree but also released Haze... so yeah.

#42 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

sometimes that last bit is the most important

#43 Posted by FlamingHobo (4483 posts) -

That's a real shame. I'm pretty sure there are enough diehard Battlefront fans that would love to finish up the code if Free Radical decided to release the source code.

#44 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

99% based off the leaked footage? That's a far stretch. It looked like an improvement over Battlefront 2, but more along the lines of 60-75% completed.

#45 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6991 posts) -

@punkxblaze said:

#46 Posted by ducktionary (3 posts) -

I would love another Battlefront game. Hell I am just looking for a good new Star Wars game. I am getting tired of replaying KOTOR and Jedi Academy to get my Star Wars fix. Now if this story had said that a new X-Wing Alliance was 99% done, I would give all of my current and future earnings to give that to the world. It's a damn shame no one has made a great Star Wars space sim in a while.

#47 Posted by Gamer_152 (14077 posts) -

I can see this game getting a long way to being finished, and then getting canned for financial reasons, but I don't quite buy his claim that it was 99% done. I see a few people here are mentioning that the leaked videos of the game made it look bad, but videos of an unfinished game are going to make it look, well, unfinished.

#48 Posted by DystopiaX (5310 posts) -

@MetalGearSunny said:

@punkxblaze said:

If the game was as terrible as some people were saying I'd prefer them to have not made it. I'd have my good memories of that franchise rather than see it come back with a sequel that turns out to be terrible.

#49 Posted by TullyAckland (237 posts) -

@SamStrife said:

In this world, actually.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.