Battlefront III stuff found on Operation Raccoon City Disk

#1 Edited by Cronus42 (276 posts) -

So this article got put up on PC gamer today.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/04/03/star-wars-battlefront-3-files-discovered-on-resident-evil-raccoon-city-disc/

It's just a bunch of loading screens and one Luke face texture, but they are still on a retail product shipped by a company, so it's doubtful these are some kind of fake, sick joke. Also Slant Six apparently were rumored to have been working on the game at some point.

I understand how unfinished content for a game makes it onto the retail disk in a locked out format, but how does something like this happen? Not complaining, but I feel like assets from a game they probably aren't working on anymore don't just "accidentally" end up on the disk for a different game. Whatever man, any confirmation that this game had people working on it at one point and the occasional rumors about its development are enough to keep the dream alive.

#2 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2221 posts) -

Weird.

#3 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -

What in the hell? That's quite the mix-up.

#4 Posted by L44 (575 posts) -

That's cool. I had fun with 2.

#5 Posted by ThePhantomStranger (382 posts) -

Probably just means they turned whatever progress they had on Battlefront 3 into Raccoon City. Asset leftover mishaps like this tend to happen with the Pokemon games to as they usually just modify a previous game. It's still really weird for a game like this though...

#6 Posted by Deathmachine117 (376 posts) -

Between Slant Six and Spark Unlimited being rumored to be developing Battlefront 3 I dont want it made by their hands.

It makes me wish a more prestigious studio would take over production but maybe they will or maybe LucasArts will just farm the franchise out to anyone.

#7 Posted by IAmNotBatman (656 posts) -

Why would they....? I don't...

#8 Posted by jking47 (1248 posts) -

Someone fucked something up.

Whenever this stuff happens I am far more curious as to how this happened rather then what it means in the long run.

#9 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

@jking47: Indeed. How did those files even accidentally end up there?

Or maybe it wasn't an accident?

#10 Posted by mosespippy (4449 posts) -

Why is there even a Star Wars Battlefront 3 page in the wiki? As far as I can tell the game was never actually announced and quite possibly has never existed. The only information on the wiki page points to alleged developers and rumours with no actual facts. Despite the fact that nothing is known about the alleged game there are a tonne of characters in the related characters tab based entirely on assumptions. I'd say put it up for deletion but it seems like everyone (including Vinny) seems to think the game is real despite there being no proof.

#11 Posted by senorfuzzeh (385 posts) -

@isnipeyoudie said:

@jking47: Indeed. How did those files even accidentally end up there?

Or maybe it wasn't an accident?

Cue overly dramatic "Dun dun dun~!" music.

#12 Edited by Mikemcn (7018 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

Why is there even a Star Wars Battlefront 3 page in the wiki? As far as I can tell the game was never actually announced and quite possibly has never existed. The only information on the wiki page points to alleged developers and rumours with no actual facts. Despite the fact that nothing is known about the alleged game there are a tonne of characters in the related characters tab based entirely on assumptions. I'd say put it up for deletion but it seems like everyone (including Vinny) seems to think the game is real despite there being no proof.

There was video of it, cutscenes and everything.

#13 Posted by Moncole (636 posts) -

I dont want a third one because EA made the Pandemic go bankrupt and it wouldn't feel right if Pandemic didnt make it.

#14 Edited by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1530 posts) -

@Moncole said:

I dont want a third one because EA made the Pandemic go bankrupt and it wouldn't feel right if Pandemic didnt make it.

The Pandemic games were pretty good, but really, someone could do a way better job with the idea. They never really capitalized on it, and ultimately the games were made at a point where they were simplistic in aspects. On the consoles few games got large scale multiplayer with vehicles right. It happened on PC for a while but I don't think Battlefront was up or even near the level of say the Battlefield series.

With another developer, or with more modern standards on consoles, we could get something much better. Pandemic could have made this new Battlefront game, but they hadn't made a really great one yet.

I liked most of what Pandemic did, but they were uneven and at the end kind of bad. Battlefront never evolved as it could have, Mercs was awesome but Mercs 2 (which seemed a lock to be at least pretty good) ended up being pretty bad and no where near as good as the first. Avalanche killed them at their own game with Just Cause 2. I liked the first Full Spectrum Warrior, but that they also didn't really capitalize on. I never played The Saboteur, but it seemed like a lot of their games do: it should be better. It seemed like they had great ideas.

#15 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -
@mosespippy said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j81I_-uaOqg

Here. 

This one
too maybe. 

Some of the characters in the related tab show up in the leaked video.
#16 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3924 posts) -

Wow, this is super weird. Huh. Cool story bro. No, I mean that. This is a cool story.

#17 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

if Slant Six are working on this I will be incredibly disappointed.

#18 Posted by MoseSSesoM (235 posts) -

Star Wars DLC. Luke vs Zombies on Hoth.

#19 Posted by MB (13115 posts) -

@Resident4t said:

@mosespippy said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j81I_-uaOqg

Here.

This one too maybe. Some of the characters in the related tab show up in the leaked video.

None of those count as an announcement, though. Rumored titles don't get wiki pages, this should be deleted.

#20 Posted by Mnemoidian (961 posts) -

Probably used the same engine/random software and needed some assets to test things out in early development, before the new game had any proper assets - so they used some lying around... and no one remembered to take them out again. Not uncommon, but very clumsy to fail to review final assets.

#21 Posted by isomeri (1416 posts) -

Kotaku had a post filled with leaked content up yesterday. Including the video below.

I would definitely be interested in another Battlefront game, I was somewhat of a fan of the first two. Efforts to make a sequel however have seemingly been crushed time and time again.

#22 Posted by jjnen (661 posts) -

Let's sue them since they clearly cheat the consumer by putting the true ending on the disc and still selling it to the consumer as DLC later!

#23 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2690 posts) -

Really weird. I'd love to see a battlefront 3.

#24 Posted by Commisar123 (1798 posts) -

That seems really weird, but I'd be up for it

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.