Leaked Battlefront III Footage Surfaces

• 80 results
Posted by Vinny (1833 posts) -

Some nice "stalker cam" footage has emerged from what is purportedly Star Wars: Battlefront III. I watched it and there's really no reason for me to doubt that this is legit--it looks really good. The bigger question is where the hell is this game now? With the fate of Free Radical still in question, Battlefront III is supposedly now being developed by Rebellion, the makers of the PSP's Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron. This makes me wonder how much of this footage is still relevant. The optimist in me hopes all of it is, the pessimist thinks this game is never coming out and the realist in me knows he hasn't played a Battlefront game since the original.

The footage is reported to be from November, at an internal meeting with Free Radical.

Man. I'm still a sucker for anything Star Wars. I need help.

Thanks to Kotaku for this one.

Staff
#1 Posted by Vinny (1833 posts) -

Some nice "stalker cam" footage has emerged from what is purportedly Star Wars: Battlefront III. I watched it and there's really no reason for me to doubt that this is legit--it looks really good. The bigger question is where the hell is this game now? With the fate of Free Radical still in question, Battlefront III is supposedly now being developed by Rebellion, the makers of the PSP's Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron. This makes me wonder how much of this footage is still relevant. The optimist in me hopes all of it is, the pessimist thinks this game is never coming out and the realist in me knows he hasn't played a Battlefront game since the original.

The footage is reported to be from November, at an internal meeting with Free Radical.

Man. I'm still a sucker for anything Star Wars. I need help.

Thanks to Kotaku for this one.

Staff
#2 Posted by DaFT_PLAyeRr (35 posts) -

Sounds cool

#3 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Man I hope someone picks this up and we see it released. The world needs a Star Wars Battlefront III more than ever to save us from evil Force Unleashed style of Star Wars games.

#4 Posted by MattyFTM (14393 posts) -

I enjoyed the first 2 battlefront games, I'd love to see a third come out, but I'm not getting my hoped up.

Moderator Online
#5 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

Who knows? I imagine continuing development of a project started by another company could cause all sorts of difficulties. For all we know, they might end up scrapping the whole thing. :(

#6 Posted by Snail (8606 posts) -

I cannot avoid to be hyped.

#7 Posted by grainger (330 posts) -

looks good to me

#8 Posted by GunsAndTalk (2 posts) -

I guess we should have all bought Haze so that Free Radical could put out this game :)

#9 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

Looks great, but it also looks just like BF1+2, which isn't neccesarily a problem, but yeah, it's a real shame, now we are left with a crappy Battlefront wannabe, Lord of the Rings : Conquest.

#10 Posted by Jimbo (9819 posts) -

Looks pretty awesome and I think we can all sleep a little easier now that The Force has been re-leashed.

I wouldn't mind a new X-Wing/Tie Fighter game with those graphics.

#11 Posted by Moeez (486 posts) -

Oh crap, my jaw is on the FLOOR! The scale is mindblowing, when he goes through flying around the cities and going from the starship cruiser right through to SPACE! That Jedi fight had terrific choreography.

Free Radical should be bought by EA, 'nuff said. Timesplitters 4 was published by them, so why not Battlefront 3?

#12 Posted by AllThatBacon (529 posts) -

Looks pretty good. Hopefully the Rebellion (ololol) guys will be able to finish it right.

#13 Posted by Voldy (100 posts) -

I don't want to be hyped, but I can't stop myself. AWESOME!!! The first two were so good.

#14 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

Star Wars Battlefront PVP focused MMO?

Ah HELL YEAH!
#15 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

I loved the first two games and I would love to see this game actually come out, though it does look like nothing but another Battlefront game just in HD (not like that's a bad thing).

#16 Posted by albedos_shadow (1485 posts) -

God, I hope someone is still working on this. That looked AWESOME.

#17 Posted by super_machine (1930 posts) -

Noooooooo!!! I was looking forward to this one. Ah that sucks. I hope Lucas arts still wants to publish this one. Maybe they can salvage it.

#18 Edited by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

I put so much time into those games OFFLINE on the PS2, It would be incredible on Live.

Also, if they are going to make this, increase maximum players to 32, this is the next-gen, for fucks sake!
#19 Posted by Bookshelf (1 posts) -

This looks pretty intense, and judging by the flying sequences, more epic in scale.  Here's to hoping this game makes it to completion.

#20 Posted by MrMiyagi (929 posts) -

DO WANT

#21 Posted by DukeTogo (1504 posts) -

The only problem I saw was the jedi fight.  What was that, a QTE sequence, a cinema?  It sure didn't look like anything playable.  If it's just part of the story fine, a little MGS cutscene action would be perfect for a SW game considering the amount of storytelling, and it certainly would be nice to see some semblance of story in a BF game after the "play the movies" approach the last two took.

This game is in no way dead, the BF series has been the only consistent seller for Lucas for some time now, it will certainly be finished by whomever is working on it.  Quite frankly Pandemic has gotten a little lazy with their past few games, so a new dev can help take the series in a new direction.  It looked like it still had the old Hoth and other movie levels, but that's probably for the multiplayer parts.

#22 Edited by JoelTGM (5597 posts) -

I...  WAAAAAAAAANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COME ON, if the game is this far underway then how can it just get ditched? 

#23 Posted by Maxszy (2064 posts) -

Considering my ridiculous love for Star Wars.. a new battlefront I so wish for. Though sadly.. I must be highly skeptical at the same time :(

#24 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2418 posts) -

Holy! How could this awesome game have become vaporware? If Free Radical had just gotten this published, they'd be doing fine. Am I the only one that thought that this looks like the definitive Star Wars game? Did you guys notice the scale of the battlefields? Also, it looks more like a third person shooter now, which is what needed to happen. Man, I'm so hyped. The only question is: when's it coming?

#25 Posted by Death_Burnout (3797 posts) -

I like the battlefront games, the first one more than the second one by a long shot, but i don't love them. I enjoy them better on the PC at least.

All i can say, is that i wan't it to see the light of day, and i'm fairly sure it will

#26 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

please take out the overpowered jedi.....I hated them in Battlefront 2 every one used them online.

#27 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

psp wtf

#28 Posted by JediAutobot (200 posts) -

Me want.

Just keep your fingers crossed.

#29 Posted by zgreenwell (44 posts) -

They still hadn't learned that in space there is no up or down. That always drove me crazy. I should be able to go in any directing and ships should be facing in all different ways!

#30 Posted by TheWorstPlayerEver (390 posts) -

Yes please!

#31 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2418 posts) -
zgreenwell said:
"They still hadn't learned that in space there is no up or down. That always drove me crazy. I should be able to go in any directing and ships should be facing in all different ways!"
Well, technically the ones that take place above a planet are still being pretty significantly affected by the planet's gravitational pull. It doesn't make sense out in open space, though.
#32 Edited by Bucketdeth (8012 posts) -

I hope to fuck this is still coming out and they can continue as a company, I need Timesplitters 4, I`m not complete without it.

#33 Posted by dtran1212 (299 posts) -

how come they all run like they have to get to the closest restroom as soon as possible?

#34 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

Looks sweet, especially with the whole ship going into space thing.  Too bad we may never see it.

#35 Posted by JJOR64 (19001 posts) -

Awesome.  Now I hope that it sees the light of day.

#36 Posted by Ottosmann (68 posts) -

Please oh please let this game come out.  I would pay $1000 for a new battlefront game.  The battlefront series is my favorite of all time.

#37 Posted by pepper (304 posts) -

I think that this game will be less relevant then the last ones simply because of the amount of options these days. The Single Player is basically multiplayer with a few more objectives objectives and a few bots. Online play is a beast, and most people only play a game for a month before getting into the next craze. It may play well, but these kind of games just are not as relevant as they once were.

#38 Posted by gzl5000 (164 posts) -

Other than the semi-lame kung fu movie cutscenes and the improved graphics, it doesn't seem to be all that different from Battlefront II. They're even re-using some of the same levels (Mos Eisley, Endor, Hoth AGAIN?!?). I think they need to expand the scope in order to make a new battlefront worth getting for me. Combine space and land battles so you can take a starfighter down and strafe enemy infrantry, or use a planetary cannon to blast a capital ship in orbit. Some squad-based stuff would work with an increased scale too. Republic commando was a great (though underappreaciated) game, they could incorporate some of that stuff. It'd improve the multiplayer as well.

#39 Edited by mracoon (4972 posts) -

Looks quite good. I enjoyed the other BF games so I'm looking forward to this.

#40 Posted by samcotts (2258 posts) -

If I could have any game of my wish released, it would be this and a new SSX game. I loved the first Battlefront a hell of a lot, and the sequel was still pretty decent. That video was awesome.

#41 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

I want it now!

#42 Posted by wafflestomp (249 posts) -

File under: Amazing

#43 Edited by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -

That kind of sucks.
Free Radical should have just not have done haze and concentrated on this.

If they did, they'd probably still be alive.

#44 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
 i saw this on neogaf this morning. 
this looked really good, much better than that crappy ass lotr game coming out. when will they realize lotr will NEVER be as cool as star wars?!?

the cut scenes in particular were impressive. 
#45 Posted by Mjolnir (456 posts) -

The game looks a lot more story driven and not just big "kill all the guys/take all the control points" matches like in previous games; like the one I've been waiting the past 5 or so years for.  Even with that kind of video it still looks great and pretty close to completion.  I just hope it can make it out before things get worse for developers.

#46 Posted by OzzerOzby (50 posts) -

Flyable Millenium Falcon? Sign me up!

#47 Posted by Tolkienfanatic (99 posts) -

I really hope someone picks this up.  Although all the animations do look a tad fast.

#48 Posted by GalvanizedNails (552 posts) -

You know what would be better than Battlefront 2? Republic Commando 2. Yeah I said it

#49 Posted by wrecks (2266 posts) -

Radical!

#50 Posted by Otacon (2209 posts) -

I Don't think we are not going to see Battlefront III, there's too much money to be had.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.