Battlefront III?

#1 Edited by BlazingWookie (175 posts) -

When, when, us LucasArts going to make BF III? Now with the layoffs I'll bet they never get around to it. They need to take a lot of the tech from STFU and stick it in BF II, make some serious corrections, then voila, BF III for PS3 and 360.

Like this. But better.
#2 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

I liked 2 quite a bit

#3 Posted by jakob187 (21675 posts) -

2 was the only game Pandemic has made that I actually liked.  Full Spectrum Warrior was okay, but still flawed as hell.  But back on topic:

My guess would be that, with Pandemic dropping LOTR: Conquest on our asses soon, LucasArts is waiting to see how that does in terms of both sales and critical acclaim before jumping into production on BFIII.  With as much shit as LucasArts has taken for abusing the Star Wars license to the point of "SICKENING", I would hope that they are looking to see how to improve next-gen online performance with the game to optimize it for large-scale battles as a chance to rival something like, say, Resistance's online.
#4 Posted by ManMadeGod (1561 posts) -

I really don't see how LA could pass up on a next gen version Battlefront I mean the last two have sold more copies than anything they have made.
Come on LA!

#5 Posted by HistoryInRust (6317 posts) -

If there is a Battlefront III, it will run on the Mercs 2 engine.

Which is a crying shame.

#6 Posted by jakob187 (21675 posts) -

Why would it run on Mercs 2 engine?  We haven't even seen what Conquest runs like yet.  For all we know, they may try to mix the coding from the two and make something better.  =  /

#7 Posted by HistoryInRust (6317 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"Why would it run on Mercs 2 engine?  We haven't even seen what Conquest runs like yet.  For all we know, they may try to mix the coding from the two and make something better.  =  /"
Doubtful.  Pandemic owns the Mercs engine, don't they?  And it's clearly "capable" of processing large environments and lots of, well, shit going on.

Also, I'm pretty sure the older Battlefronts ran on the original Mercs engine (or rather, Mercenaries ran on an amped iteration of the first Battlefront engine).  But I could be wrong. 

#8 Posted by MasterOfPenguins_Zell (2093 posts) -
BlazingWookie said:
"When, when, us LucasArts going to make BF III? Now with the layoffs I'll bet they never get around to it. They need to take a lot of the tech from STFU and stick it in BF II, make some serious corrections, then voila, BF III for PS3 and 360.

Like this. But better.
"
They were talking about this on a podcast I listened to today... anyway. I love the idea.
#9 Posted by Subway (971 posts) -
Sir_Ragnarok said:
"If there is a Battlefront III, it will run on the Mercs 2 engine.

Which is a crying shame."
Ugh, seriously? Mercs looked like shit.
#10 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

I like the first but didn't play the second. I'm up for another one.

#11 Posted by BlazingWookie (175 posts) -

Sweet. Hope that talk turns into something - the sooner they get started the sooner we get the game, and hell maybe they'll even listen to the players and make it better, and not just prettier - fingers crossed

#12 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2418 posts) -

Haven't they already confirmed there will be on coming? I could just be imagining junk, though.

#13 Posted by CactusWolf (539 posts) -

Didn't someone mention a rumor about Free Radical working on it?

#14 Posted by jakob187 (21675 posts) -
wordsgohere said:
"Didn't someone mention a rumor about Free Radical working on it?"
Yes, but I remembered something about how LucasArts and EA were going to be co-publishing KOTOR with BioWare developing, and that there was potential for the same happening with Battlefront.

And given that Pandemic is now with the same house as DICE...I'm sure that Battlefront could REALLY become a stellar franchise like it deserves to be.  Battlefront II was an excellent game.
#15 Posted by tomato_panic (2 posts) -
#16 Edited by Cretaceous_Bob (506 posts) -

That's quite a necro. Good on you.

@jakob187 said:
And given that Pandemic is now with the same house as DICE...I'm sure that Battlefront could REALLY become a stellar franchise like it deserves to be. Battlefront II was an excellent game.

Huh. Well this person will have probably got it more right than he could have ever known. I'm sure DICE will being doing Battlefront 3 at this point. Or at least I hope so.

#17 Edited by TheHT (11300 posts) -

#18 Posted by natetodamax (19207 posts) -

@cretaceous_bob: It's being done by the team that made Medal of Honor Warfighter but under a different studio name from what I hear, which maaaaay be a little..... I don't know, perhaps not the greatest news ever but I still have plenty of hope for this project. I love the Battlefront series quite dearly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.