Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars Battlefront

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Nov 17, 2015

Large-scale infantry Star Wars battles return in this reboot of the Star Wars: Battlefront series (from the studio behind the Battlefield series).

Battlefront trailer drops now! panel live

• 65 results
    Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Hayt

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront

Well, it's 10:30am for lucky Americans anyway. 3:30 am my local time though. There's a snippet of what's on display at the end of the (fucking excellent) Star Wars VII trailer. Looks like Endor which is a surprise to me as I was fully expecting Hoth.

This poster is pretty cool too. I wonder if that's just a rebel (like box-art guy in Battlefield) or if that lone figure is maybe a story character. I guess I'll just speculate for hours and hours since I've got nothing but time to kill. What do people hope from the trailer? I'd like it to clear up stuff about what the game is like. Like 3rd person or not, heroes or not, space battles or not. How about you?

edit: cant seem move this to Battlefront (the 2015 game) page as the dropdown suggestions for "Battlefront" don't include it

Edit:http://youtu.be/ZwWLns7-xN8

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Looking at that movie trailer I'm kind of worried the new leads are going to be a bit yougher than I would like. I really don't want a ''team jedi kidz take on the empire'' movie.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking at that movie trailer I'm kind of worried the new leads are going to be a bit yougher than I would like. I really don't want a ''team jedi kidz take on the empire'' movie.

Carrie Fisher was something like 19 or 20 and Mark Hamill around 25 when A New Hope was filmed, you already had that movie the first go round.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Tom_omb

To clarify that's 10:30 PST, also my local (lucky Canadian) time.

I'm very much looking forward to this as a Star Wars fan who hasn't played much of any Battlefield game (although I enjoyed what little I played of those old WWII games), and missed the original Battlefront games. It's been a while since the last AAA Star Wars game.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hayt

@pyrodactyl: The overall cast is pretty old honestly. Gleeson, Driver and Christie are all 30+ and then you've got all the OT people who are all 50+. Even Daisy Ridley and Boyega are both 23. Hardly kids. Edit: Forgot Oscar Isaac who at 35 is the same age Harrison Ford was in A New Hope.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pause422

You do realize the original movies half the main cast was very young too right? This is nothing new.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@hayt said:

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront

There's a snippet of what's on display at the end of the (fucking excellent) Star Wars VII trailer. Looks like Endor which is a surprise to me as I was fully expecting Hoth.

The stuff they've shown before was Endor too right? This bit in particular. There was a brief clip of Hoth too but this was far more significant (and similar to that snippet).

Loading Video...

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet it'll look like a Star Wars game by the people who make Battlefield.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be okay with a BF4 reskin but they need to maintain the possibility of teams summoning hero characters like in the old Battlefront games. Vader has joined/left the battle etc.

Sad that it is only 32 versus 32, and that maps won't be as big as they should have been to allow both ground/air plenty of space to fight in.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

EXCITED.

Yeah I don't think this needs to be drastically different than Battlefield to be fun. I'd hope it has some wrinkles of its own.

I hope it is more grounded regular soldiers on the ground though than Battlefront used to be with Jedi characters and all that.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The main gameplay has always been about grunts in Battlefront. Heroes can be summoned in mainly to attempt to turn the tide of a fight. Think of them as resouces that can be spent. I think that's a very cool thing about it that I really want to see again.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sad that it is only 32 versus 32, and that maps won't be as big as they should have been to allow both ground/air plenty of space to fight in.

Where did you hear this from? 32 a side is fine by me, as long as they still have bots filling out the grunt fodder. The things they need to satisfy for me to be happy are:

• Space battle maps
    • Vehicles
    • Hero characters
    • Bots

If they can nail that, even if the general combat appears to just be a reskin of BF4, the actual match mechanics should feel enough like Battlefront 2 to be worth it.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also another thing worth noting: A producer (DICE) on reddit said that Battlefront won't be using Battlelog. Battlelog will remain a Battlefield franchise service.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SomeJerk

"Up to 40 players"

Spawn as Hero/Legendary character killstreak/score rewards, sounds like.

ragnar_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Also another thing worth noting: A producer (DICE) on reddit said that Battlefront won't be using Battlelog. Battlelog will remain a Battlefield franchise service.

Indeed, but he said they had built something from the ground up for it. I would not be surprised if it's functionally the same as battlelog (server browser, loadouts, battlepacks, etc.) just using their own flavor of code and tools that maybe DICE can't transplant into battlelog without bricking the whole system. I'm one of the few people who has never had an issue with battlelog or server code with BF4, it's always worked as intended for me, so if they can give me similar features, I'll be happy. I have class this afternoon (EST) but I will certainly have the stream on in the background while I work. That trailer affirmed my love for space opera and if DICE can execute this thang I'm down for it.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SomeJerk
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bollard

@somejerk: Great read. The singleplayer sounds a little less than Battlefront 2, which had a proper story, but as much as I liked that I'm not too fussed really.

Also that article also confirms 40 players is the max. I'm more interested in whether there are bots in MP, not SP though.

"There are no space battles in this Battlefront game."

I am incredibly disappointed with this. One of the main features.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

"...While playing online, two players who want to team up as much as possible can tap into a Partner feature, which allows them to share gear (an experienced player can bestow a newcomer with a high-tech load out during their play session), spawn at their teammates location after death, and be on the battlefield together as much as possible." ~ Game Informer

See that sounds useful. But it would be nice if even that 'linked spawn' ability could be squad based. It sounds like this is more like classic BF where the maps are big with objective far apart, so it woudl be nice to spawn with buddies - even if the rest of your squad is 'dumb' and 'in the wrong place'.

BoxxyBae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm super prepared to be disappointed. Heres hoping I'm wrong.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

but they need to have space battles in there.

There are no space battles, at best they'll be a late DLC package.

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Looks like it'll be a lot like the first Battlefront; it won't have space battles, and it won't have a story campaign (it has connected missions that can be play offline or co-op). It will have hero characters (Darth Vader and Boba Fett have been confirmed). The games will be 40-player (20 on 20). Also, HOLY CRAP FROSBITE LOOKS AWESOME!

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/star_wars_battlefront/b/playstation4/archive/2015/04/17/an-impressive-first-look-at-star-wars-battlefront.aspx

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is unacceptable that there are no space battles or prequel era stuff in the game. There's no point in removing Space Combat when it could be done on the PS2. I was expecting ground to space combat or vice versa. My interest in this game has completely dropped. They better include bots.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Is it Warhawk?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/b92adeca75b7425a84fe4bb02b115db0/star-wars-battlefront-unleashed-fan-convention

"The action will also take to the skies with players engaging in dogfights with TIE Fighters, X-wings and the Millennium Falcon, though the developers were coy about how battles would alternate between ground and air combat.

"We wanted it to feel authentic to this universe," said "Battlefront" executive producer Patrick Bach. "You can get into these vehicles, from speeder bikes to X-wings, TIE fighters, AT-STs, AT-ATs. There's a wide range of vehicles that we wanted to realize. The difficulty with a game is that they need to be balanced with the troops on the ground."

The article doesn't mention anything about space. I guess they have to save something for the inevitable expansion, right?

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No space battles?

welp im skipping this. My favorite thing from bf2 was taking a transport ship from my carrier and loading up in the main bay, flying over to the enemy carrier and dropping off a handful of soldiers so i can infiltrate and take down their ship from the inside. you could bomb their shield generator or turret defense system from inside!!! how brilliant!

i hope you all enjoy this game for whoever buys this. but that was my main feature on my "must haves list".

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By hatking

The space battles were pretty boring in Battlefront 2, though a nifty showpiece thing. The only real difference in the space maps were the placements of the big ships and the sky boxes. There were really only two paths to victory there, destroy the opposing ship from the inside or out. It was a cool idea, and I'd rather that they had expanded on it than scrap it, but that's not really the thing I miss about the series. Actually, I missed the dogfights that would take place on the planet based maps in the first Battlefront more than I appreciated the space maps. It was cool seeing X-Wings and Tie Fighters blasting each other out of the sky while you were blasting Stormtroopers on the ground, that's something that disappeared in the sequel that nobody seemed to notice.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Panel is about to begin. Lets see some shit

leejunfan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Video Games. It looked cool.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heroes confirmed. Not my favourite part of the series but hopefully they handle it well

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt said:

Heroes confirmed. Not my favourite part of the series but hopefully they handle it well

Yeah agreed... we will see though.

I'm happy with the rest of it. Don't care about space battles. Not some big loss for me.

I do think it'd be really cool if they do some kind of mode similar to Battlefield 2142's Titan (wasn't that what it was called?) mode... the one where you had to protect your ship above land. Obviously you could do a Star Wars version pretty easily.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ArtisanBreads
    Loading Video...

Damn... I love all the little audio visual touches. The explosions looks just like the movie. Sound work is crazy too.

mechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

That Frostbite sure is pretty. Was hoping to see gameplay, but obviously they're saving that for E3. Heck we may even get a beta at E3

DonMFJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do want. Will EA and DICE redeem themselves with this or will it be another shitshow?

johnnymcginley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, it sure looks nice but it'll never look like that on PS4 sadly.

Substance_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks good. I just hope it isn't rushed and a broken mess when it releases like BF4 was.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yep, that's Star Wars. Nice looking CG, it will be cool to see some gameplay.

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was really hoping they would be showing some gameplay footage at the panel. Hopefully one or more outlets there get to put some video of it up. Hopefully they aren't waiting for E3 to show any to the public.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I see this trailer and it occurs to me, that as Battlefield 4 shows, DICE is very interested and skilled at achieving a cinematic feel to there games, even to the complaint of players. They actually seem like an excellent fit that would strive to make their Battlefront look like the scenes in Star Wars they're drawing from and really achieve the nuance of details that we recognize of the franchise. Even just looking at the explosions in the trailer DICE has clearly redone how their explosions appear, going from the hyper realistic smokey explosions of Battlefield to the much more spark and ember riddled explosions we've traditionally known from Star Wars.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@49th said:

Yep, that's Star Wars. Nice looking CG, it will be cool to see some gameplay.

There was some aliasing and clipping going on, so that's what it could actually look like, at least on PC.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt said:

Isn't Battlefront without heroes just Battlefield gameplay?

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad people will have the option for 3rd or first person. I'm concerned that first person might always be at a disadvantage though but maybe they've given thought to using 3rd person to peek over and around stuff. Having the 3rd person view point physical modelled like in Mechwarrior Online would neatly solve that. Could easily use the remotes.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is unacceptable that there are no space battles or prequel era stuff in the game. There's no point in removing Space Combat when it could be done on the PS2. I was expecting ground to space combat or vice versa. My interest in this game has completely dropped. They better include bots.

It just confirms it's a Battlefield game. Can't have Battlefield without foot soldiers. I'm not buying this.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@hayt said:

I'm glad people will have the option for 3rd or first person.

where was this confirmed? couldn't see it in the article or trailer.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Game Engine footage

Yeah bullshit, there is no way in hell that game looks like that, runs like that and then also supports 40 person battles on large maps.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#46  Edited By mike

@neocalypso said:

Game Engine footage

Yeah bullshit, there is no way in hell that game looks like that, runs like that and then also supports 40 person battles on large maps.

Game Engine footage can mean a lot of different things. It certainly doesn't mean that the final game will look like that, or that the trailer was being rendered by a PS4 or even in real time.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hh: it was also mentioned in the panel segment. I actually asked him my question about balance between the two and he said that good players will use both. Not a bad answer but I'm not sure there would be a compelling reason to use 1st if you can use 3rd to safely check corners etc. We'll see in time I guess.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@mb said:

@neocalypso said:

Game Engine footage

Game Engine footage can mean a lot of different things. It certainly doesn't mean that the final game will look like that, or that the trailer was being rendered by a PS4.

Yeah it just means: running on Frostbite.

I think you should take a lot of it basically as the action will look like this on a top level PC. I think the animations are where it's being prettied up most. Everything looks smoother than I'm sure it will and you can tell the animations are probably all unique little stuff that won't quite be in there. And yeah obviously on both consoles and lesser PCs it won't look that pretty.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#49  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Thank god no space battles. I HATED that shit. Excessively, excessively boring with effectively 0 in terms of tactics. Battlefront 2 had some garbage in it but none greater than space battles. Such a case of fan service going horribly wrong.

Space battles being fun require one or two things: 1) ships that are complex enough to fly that flying skill is relevant at all and 2) squads with knowledge of flight formations and ships of a huge variety of roles. Shooting a thousand times at a shield generator while flying in circles is not good space combat. Without complex flight a boring environment like space is just so devoid of obstacles the whole thing is just a snooze.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh and for those who haven't seen the panel there is going to be free dlc about the Battle of Jakku which results in this

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.