A Massive BioWare Logo Approaches! Star Wars: Galaxies Shutting Down

Posted by patrickklepek (6417 posts) -
Galaxies, a game only a mother could love.

With Star Wars: The Old Republic maybe, possibly coming sometime later this year or earlier next year (or not?), it's not much of a surprise that LucasArts would consider winding down its last attempt at a massively multiplayer Star Wars. As of December 15, Star Wars: Galaxies will no longer exist.

"The shutdown of SWG is a very difficult decision, but SOE and LucasArts have mutually agreed that the end of 2011 is the appropriate time to end the game," said the companies in a statement.

Galaxies won't just flicker into the dark, though, with the promise of a "galaxy-ending in-game event" bringing about the conclusion of the adventure. I should start power leveling immediately.

I'm imagining a giant BioWare logo that, when touched, activates an in-game browser to pre-order The Old Republic. All (some) joking aside, apparently people are still playing Galaxies.

"We are extremely grateful to all of the SWG fans," continued the statement. "We have had the rare opportunity to host one of the most dedicated and passionate online gaming communities and we truly appreciate the support we’ve received from each and every one of you over the course of the past eight years."

Galaxies never managed to achieve its potential, with the game getting several makeovers in an attempt to make the game more palatable to the audience. Unfortunately, it just never clicked.

#1 Posted by patrickklepek (6417 posts) -
Galaxies, a game only a mother could love.

With Star Wars: The Old Republic maybe, possibly coming sometime later this year or earlier next year (or not?), it's not much of a surprise that LucasArts would consider winding down its last attempt at a massively multiplayer Star Wars. As of December 15, Star Wars: Galaxies will no longer exist.

"The shutdown of SWG is a very difficult decision, but SOE and LucasArts have mutually agreed that the end of 2011 is the appropriate time to end the game," said the companies in a statement.

Galaxies won't just flicker into the dark, though, with the promise of a "galaxy-ending in-game event" bringing about the conclusion of the adventure. I should start power leveling immediately.

I'm imagining a giant BioWare logo that, when touched, activates an in-game browser to pre-order The Old Republic. All (some) joking aside, apparently people are still playing Galaxies.

"We are extremely grateful to all of the SWG fans," continued the statement. "We have had the rare opportunity to host one of the most dedicated and passionate online gaming communities and we truly appreciate the support we’ve received from each and every one of you over the course of the past eight years."

Galaxies never managed to achieve its potential, with the game getting several makeovers in an attempt to make the game more palatable to the audience. Unfortunately, it just never clicked.

#2 Posted by ghostchant (137 posts) -

I thought it was already down.

#3 Posted by Animasta (14820 posts) -

not like this

#4 Posted by Cheesimus (19 posts) -

ooh bye bye galaxies

#5 Posted by bassman2112 (991 posts) -

@Laketown said:

not like this

My first thought, exactly...

#6 Posted by Malphye (414 posts) -

Its about damn time.

#7 Posted by UlquioKani (1283 posts) -

cant wait

#8 Posted by Morningstar (2321 posts) -

GB should do a piece on the galaxy-ending in-game event ^^

#9 Posted by amomjc (978 posts) -

As much as I use to love SWG before the destroyed it with their retardation, I am glad to see it finally rest. What it turned into is an insult to what is what before, a niche MMO that catered ultimately to the social and adventurous.

/salute to the old SWG, not the new POS.

#10 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1252 posts) -

Finally. I played for a year til NGE came, and I actually liked it quite a lot. It was my first MMO, and I had so many good times with it. Hunting, meeting new people and building towns was pretty damn great.

Then WoW came and was like 300000 times better, but I still missed the scale and freedom of SWG. It's sad to see it die like this though, they should've killed it off a few years ago.

#11 Posted by tourgen (4568 posts) -

SOE runs another one into the ground.

#12 Posted by Sooty (8195 posts) -

Who wants to bet TOR will suffer the same fate by 2014-15 or go free to play? 

At least that's the impression I get from the game so far, looks shitty.

#13 Posted by Kombat (2291 posts) -

The first iteration of Star Wars Galaxies was the best one, with a set of incredibly deep combat and crafting systems. It went through some needless "updating" though, but it was great the way it was before. It wasn't World of Warcraft, but no game back then was.

#14 Posted by Toxin066 (3383 posts) -

"I have a bad feeling about this" or "I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened," should be the new "not like this."

#15 Posted by Citizengamer (198 posts) -

Can we get a Giant Bomb look at the end, just like with the Matrix Online?

#16 Posted by ZeForgotten (10368 posts) -

Star Wars Galaxies shut down many many years ago. What's left of it is not something worthy of the Galaxies name

#17 Posted by AllThatBacon (611 posts) -

Oh hey! That's me killing that effin' Rancor! Well, SWG had it's time. "Its time" just happened to be 6 years ago and it's been living the past half decade now as a hollow shell of its former self. BUT WHATEVS - here's to TOR doing what SWG failed to do.

#18 Posted by rmanthorp (4251 posts) -

Incoming torrent of ToR hating without any facts or previous experiences... -sigh-

#19 Posted by Doctor3vi1 (21 posts) -

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened....

#20 Posted by autobzooty (107 posts) -

SWG has its share of issues, but at least it's set in the part of Star Wars that was actually good. You tell me you've made an MMO based on the prequel trilogy and you've already failed in my eyes.

#21 Posted by OrfBC (55 posts) -

I think it would be nice if an MMO would have a happy ending, rather than a galaxy-ending disaster. They all seem to go for that when they shut down. Everyone dies. Game over. Why not something more upbeat?

#22 Posted by Kingloo (88 posts) -

I hope GiantBomb give Galaxies the same treatment they gave Matrix Online when it shut down.

Paging Pasquale.....

#23 Posted by Nocall (384 posts) -

"galaxy-ending in-game event" 

death star will destroy planets one by one, ending with Tatooine on the final day.

#24 Posted by GioVANNI (1312 posts) -

Are we going to get an Endurance Run like you guys did with Matrix Online?

#25 Posted by Levio (1798 posts) -

It's been a long road...

#26 Posted by Warihay (521 posts) -

Already looking forward to the live stream of this.

#27 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -
@autobzooty said:

SWG has its share of issues, but at least it's set in the part of Star Wars that was actually good. You tell me you've made an MMO based on the prequel trilogy and you've already failed in my eyes.

Old Republic isn't in the prequel trilogy either…
#28 Posted by PatVB (357 posts) -

I really hope we get some GB coverage of the "galaxy-ending event", all Matrix Online-style.

#29 Posted by Zaccheus (1829 posts) -

There has to be a ST:G series on GB like with The Matrix Online.

#30 Posted by buckybit (1517 posts) -

I had to read the headline twice - I thought Bioware is shutting down their thingy already. Waiting for the things to come. Mark my words, ppl ...

#31 Posted by GioVANNI (1312 posts) -
@autobzooty said:

SW: TOR is, canonically, like 4000 years before the prequels.
#32 Posted by JohnDudebro (955 posts) -

Not like this.

#33 Posted by Metal_Mills (3391 posts) -

Giantbomb promised a Galaxies video ages ago. You must deliver!

#34 Posted by vaportra1l (282 posts) -

If you look on the front page, it's already listed on 12/16 as "coming soon" lol.

#35 Posted by AgentofChaos (1575 posts) -

Wake Up.

#36 Posted by Marz (5721 posts) -

Don't like seeing mmo's straight up die, they could have tried going the free2play route, i'm sure there's alot of star wars folks who wouldn't mind playing that game for free.

#37 Posted by Rirse (292 posts) -

I wonder if everyone will turn into cubes at the end of this event?

#38 Posted by Yelix (370 posts) -

There has to be a series covering this like Not Like This. THERE HAS TO BE.

#39 Posted by Hector (3514 posts) -

Good riddance!

#40 Posted by McGhee (6128 posts) -

Amanda Matricks, where are you when we need you?

#41 Posted by zanshin (215 posts) -

So what am I supposed to do with my copy of Hyperspace I never opened???

#42 Edited by Winternet (8238 posts) -

People are playing Star Wars: Galaxies? No, they're not. Don't lie to me.

Will this get the same treatment as Matrix Online? Please, please, please make it happen.

Edit: Hahaha, Up Coming section already updated.

#43 Posted by skyline7284 (651 posts) -

This actually makes me sad, even if i never played the game, it's sad to see one of the titans finally fall.

#44 Posted by Brake (1196 posts) -

I seem to remeber some talk about Matrix Online style coverage when this happened on the Bombcast a while back. Time to deliver! ...round December.

On another note I remember being excited for this game when they where hyping it pre-release. "To live in the Star Wars galaxy? Sign me up!" Don't remember when I lost interest.

#45 Posted by Meowshi (2917 posts) -
@NeverDave said:
@autobzooty said:

Old Republic isn't in the prequel trilogy either…
Fail autobzooty. Just fail.
#46 Posted by PapaLazarou (870 posts) -
#47 Posted by CL60 (17120 posts) -
@autobzooty said:

Yo dude. TOR takes place thousands of years before the prequel trilogy.
#48 Posted by This_Dude (305 posts) -

I hope GB has time to do a end of the world event like the matrix online videos they did.  That will be great.  I might have to renew my subscription and see what all goes down.

#49 Posted by crusader8463 (14744 posts) -

I have fond memories with this game back in the day. They killed it a long time ago, but it still makes me sad to see something I used to care for die.

#50 Posted by Video_Game_King (36566 posts) -

Will we see a mini-series about this?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.