A Massive BioWare Logo Approaches! Star Wars: Galaxies Shutting Down

  • 197 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
#151 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -
@Doctor3vi1 said:
I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened....
Brilliant.
#152 Posted by ComradeKhan (687 posts) -
@Laketown said:

not like this

You're not my father!
#153 Posted by rmanthorp (4007 posts) -

@Jeaz said:

@Rufi91 said:

Incoming torrent of ToR hating without any facts or previous experiences... -sigh-

Incoming torrent of ToR loving without any facts or previous experiences... -sigh-

Dude I've been in the beta for over a week now, I have plenty of experience and If ya'll like Bioware story telling this is NOT going to disappoint!

Moderator
#154 Posted by Pop (2644 posts) -

I like how they already added an event to the GB calender xD

#155 Posted by PenguinDust (12554 posts) -

Mini-ER for the final few days of the game this December!

#156 Posted by Soulibon (1 posts) -

This game shut down when the game was updated and then suddenly everyone could be a jedi!

#157 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1140 posts) -

Seems like a good time for a live quick look as the timer counts down and their universe esplodes something fierce.

#158 Posted by Nictel (2429 posts) -

Time for a trial in the beginning of december..

#159 Posted by Device (47 posts) -

Looks like they finally decided to take this off life support. NGE killed it. :(

#160 Posted by grundel (22 posts) -

I use to love this game so much when it had first come out. Despite the drastic changes they had made throughout its existence, it always remained fun to some extent. I actually played it again a month or so ago, caught up with old friends, going to miss this game. Definitely had a good run despite the drama surrounding it. 

#161 Posted by EgoCheck616 (782 posts) -

@Rufi91 said:

@Jeaz said:

@Rufi91 said:

Incoming torrent of ToR hating without any facts or previous experiences... -sigh-

Incoming torrent of ToR loving without any facts or previous experiences... -sigh-

Dude I've been in the beta for over a week now, I have plenty of experience and If ya'll like Bioware story telling this is NOT going to disappoint!

I find it easy to not believe you.

#162 Posted by rmanthorp (4007 posts) -

@EgoCheck616 said:

@Rufi91 said:

@Jeaz said:

@Rufi91 said:

Incoming torrent of ToR hating without any facts or previous experiences... -sigh-

Incoming torrent of ToR loving without any facts or previous experiences... -sigh-

Dude I've been in the beta for over a week now, I have plenty of experience and If ya'll like Bioware story telling this is NOT going to disappoint!

I find it easy to not believe you.

Fair enough, I'm not really supposed to talk about it, I just wish people would give it a chance, It's a really good game.

Moderator
#163 Posted by webonauta (3 posts) -

I really wanted this game to pick up.In fact I bought a new PC only to be able to kick some Sith arse... but once and again the game just  didn't cut it. 
 
Looking forward for TOR, though.

#164 Posted by redlitez76 (107 posts) -

every start has a finish. sorry to here of it. but TOR may be worth a view.....nah.

#165 Edited by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -

Unfortunately, it just never clicked.

Hah.

#166 Posted by steelknight2000 (453 posts) -

Return of Tonka Truck?

#167 Edited by BasketSnake (1234 posts) -

In preparation for the SWG ending show stuff on the site.

#168 Posted by kalakov (86 posts) -

I still got my AT-ST that the damn rebels dint blew up !.... what should I do with it now ?

#169 Posted by welshguy (40 posts) -

I loved this game so much when I first started. The freedom, the fun of it all. Then they took a big dump on it with that combat upgrade crap so I quit. Still sad to see it go. With my interest in the old republic flagging I was sorely tempted to go back to galaxies. I have fond memories of an Imperial guild on the scylla server massacring a republic guild wedding... When I had enough of the game I sold everything, gave away all my money to some guy then went to tatoonine, rode out into the desert on my dewback and charged a krayt dragon. For me that was almost as emotional as when optimus prime died in the transformers movie cartoon.
TOR just doesn't look good. Limited customization, the fact that each class has a specific ship and its forced on you, dull combat (I was going to go for a sith inquisitor but that tatoonine video put me off it), the story mechanic that will be soured by the knowledge that the guy next you is likely doing the same quest, the clone wars style look of it and crappy looking armour, restictive weapon use (bounty hunters don't seem able to use rifles or big guns and sith sorcerers stuck with one handed lightsabers they don't seem to use in close combat). All in all never before has a game I followed so closely fallen so far in my expecations or hopes. A community that is totally blind to its faults doesn't help either. Maybe I'm wrong about everything about TOR and it will be as great as its fanboys say it is. I doubt it though. I can't help but shake the feeling it should have been a single player but some guy high up on bioware's managment loved teams so much he ordered it become a mmo (that's an IT Crowd reference for those who care)
Fare well Star Wars Galaxies.

#170 Posted by MB (12726 posts) -

I was really excited for this game leading up to it's release, and had a ton of fun with it when it first launched. Hard to believe that was eight years ago.

Moderator
#171 Posted by ThePantheon (743 posts) -

Star Wars Galaxies: Endurance Run will happen now.. right?

Right guys?

Right?

#172 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@ThePantheon said:

Star Wars Galaxies: Endurance Run will happen now.. right?

Right guys?

Right?

yeah, they have plans to cover the end event of galaxys

#173 Edited by Brackynews (4094 posts) -

When asked for comment, Bon Bothma, my tailor Bothan main on the Eclipse server responded: "Sew long."

Or she would have, if the tailor class hadn't been nerfed and then removed.

/belatedrage

/dance

#174 Posted by Swoxx (3003 posts) -

Oh my, I remember when I started playing this and how awesome it was the first year, then too many people whined about how hard it was to become a jedi, so they made it a quest chain, so they lost 25% of their user base, I kept playing for a while longer though. Then they made the whole change to the combat system and another 50% left.

Damn I miss the good old days when there'd be 40 vs 40 pvp battles in town and an imperial Force Master Jedi would roll in on his force run and just fucking decimate everyone, they were sooo overpowered. Which was awesome since there were so few, more true to the fiction.

#175 Posted by MackGyver (561 posts) -

I had no idea it was still running after all this time.

#176 Posted by MachoFantastico (4790 posts) -

Played SWG back in the day on the European Ahazi server. Was a unique and flawed experience but one I have fond memories of and one that offered a supririsingly amount of freedom you don't get in 99 percent of MMO's nowadays. Had a great community to, but the New Game Experience update destroyed everything and a massive (and I mean massive) amount of the player base left within a week.

Everyone I knew within game left in that week, they've even tried to move back to it's original state I believe but failed miserably. Part of me is sad because it was my first MMORPG and had a lot of fun on it, but glad they're finally killing it.

#177 Posted by onimonkii (2449 posts) -

so is it free? cause i'd mess with it up til then if it was

#178 Posted by agerstone (107 posts) -

Just want to point out that at 23.54 into the Matrix Online final hours endurance run video Ryan did say that you would do a live stream of the final hour of SWG when it shut down....eh? eh?

#179 Posted by MeatSim (10895 posts) -

I made my peace with Star Wars Galaxies a long time ago.

#180 Posted by rusted3572 (28 posts) -

I've had this on my steam account for ages and not used my free month yet, might wait and be there for the end.

#181 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

RIP YOU OLD DOG YOU!

#182 Posted by JackG100 (405 posts) -

Galaxies was awesome on release, then they fucked it up by going all WoWified class-based. It's actually a better game than most other MMOs where characters have a way of interacting with the persistant world, something only that, Uo and EVE ever managed to do in good way.

#183 Posted by Jackel2072 (2269 posts) -

not like this... not like this.
#184 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

  

#185 Posted by Carlos1408 (1526 posts) -

I was tempted to play that game, being a Star Wars fan and all. Yet, I never did. I'd thoroughly enjoy some coverage of its death though. The coverage for matrix online was hilarious. :P

#186 Posted by JCTango (1364 posts) -
@CL60 said:

  

please tell me that's a joke video lol.
 
I played that game for a long time too back in the day but c'mon! 
#187 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@JCTango said:
@CL60 said:

  

please tell me that's a joke video lol.  I played that game for a long time too back in the day but c'mon! 
I really hope so.
#188 Edited by RE_Player1 (7563 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@JCTango said:
@CL60 said:
please tell me that's a joke video lol. I played that game for a long time too back in the day but c'mon!
I really hope so.

At first I thought it was a joke but I think it's real. If it is a joke she's a great actor.

Edit: It says on her Youtube page she likes to play The Sims 3 and Star Wars Galaxies, I believe it.

#189 Posted by Grillbar (1872 posts) -

@RE_Player92 said:

@CL60 said:

@JCTango said:
@CL60 said:
please tell me that's a joke video lol. I played that game for a long time too back in the day but c'mon!
I really hope so.

At first I thought it was a joke but I think it's real. If it is a joke she's a great actor.

Edit: It says on her Youtube page she likes to play The Sims 3 and Star Wars Galaxies, I believe it.

okay theres 2 thing that i really found funny about this besides her.

1 how can you play a game allmost every day on and off.

2 if the game has been up and running for 8 years, how do they give up at the first sign there is??

#190 Posted by Diachron (91 posts) -

It breaks my heart to see it go, but the real SWG died after NGE, as far as I'm concerned.

Flawed? Sure. But unique and captivating in a way no other MMO was before or after. Sorry it didn't work out, SWG-- I hope to run into your spiritual successor in the future.

My second thought was to wonder what Raph Koster had to say about this. Well...:

http://www.raphkoster.com/2011/06/24/swg-is-shutting-down/

#191 Posted by BasketSnake (1234 posts) -

Ten minutes after I entered Mos Eisley spaceport yesterday I was approached and greeted by a player I used to play with seven years ago. This poor being didn't know where to go next. So "sad".

#192 Edited by JCTango (1364 posts) -

Did you guys know that the guy who proposed the game combat changes took his own life a few years ago?  Macabre I know, but I really hope all the trash talking he got was NOT a factor in him doing it :/.
 
EDIT:  forgot the "not" part :/.

#193 Posted by xxizzypop (577 posts) -

@JCTango said:

Did you guys know that the guy who proposed the game combat changes took his own life a few years ago? Macabre I know, but I really hope all the trash talking he got was a factor in him doing it :/.

That's a dick thing to hope, regardless of whether or not he ruined a once beloved game.

It's kind of sad. I was always interested in checking out Galaxies, but as time wore on and updates showed up, more and more people bitched. It seemed like something that was an interesting concept in the beginning and just turned in to a massive shit show.

#194 Posted by JCTango (1364 posts) -
@xxizzypop said:

@JCTango said:

Did you guys know that the guy who proposed the game combat changes took his own life a few years ago? Macabre I know, but I really hope all the trash talking he got was a factor in him doing it :/.

That's a dick thing to hope, regardless of whether or not he ruined a once beloved game.

It's kind of sad. I was always interested in checking out Galaxies, but as time wore on and updates showed up, more and more people bitched. It seemed like something that was an interesting concept in the beginning and just turned in to a massive shit show.

Holy crap.. thanks for pointing that out.. that was seriously a horrible typo on my part.  I missed a "not" in there :/.  Sorry.
#195 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -
@JCTango: Worst typo ever. Oh my god.
#196 Posted by JCTango (1364 posts) -
@Titus said:
@JCTango: Worst typo ever. Oh my god.
Yes, I know! :( :( I feel so horrible about it.. wasn't my intention... at.. all.. :( :( :(.
#197 Posted by xxizzypop (577 posts) -

@JCTango: D'aw. It's all good, haha. You can see how that might come off a little inflammatory with that missing :p

#198 Posted by JCTango (1364 posts) -
@xxizzypop: No worries!  I'm glad you pointed it out - Don't want people thinking I'm malicious like that :/.  It has to be my worst typo of all time for sure.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.