I miss the old SWG so much...

#1 Edited by luffylol (56 posts) -

This video says it all:

The amount of potential. The incredible revolutionary and ambitious design sheet. The custom tailored MMO Guru team of experts from UO. It's still mindnumbling for me to think of how we ended here... it was such an incredible game, and it changed me as a person.

#2 Posted by Out_On_Bail (1545 posts) -

And I quit playing without a moments thought after the change.

#3 Posted by luffylol (56 posts) -

same. but I still miss it...

#4 Edited by MB (11894 posts) -

I played for about the first year or so, around the time the first Jedi started showing up.  I was the second one on my server to unlock a Force Sensitive slot...I sold it on eBay and never looked back after seeing the insane XP requirements.  Best $800 I ever made, I feel sorry for the guy who bought it though.  Shortly thereafter they changed it so everyone could become a Jedi if they wished through a series of quests.  I wasn't around long enough to witness the "NGE".

I'm hoping the rumors of a KOTOR-based MMO are true.  Supposedly there is going to be an announcement about it sometime in October...we'll see.

#5 Posted by Knives (706 posts) -

SWG was never good. It was decent, but not good.

#6 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
MB said:
"I played for about the first year or so, around the time the first Jedi started showing up.  I was the second one on my server to unlock a Force Sensitive slot...I sold it on eBay and never looked back after seeing the insane XP requirements.  Best $800 I ever made, I feel sorry for the guy who bought it though.  Shortly thereafter they changed it so everyone could become a Jedi if they wished through a series of quests.  I wasn't around long enough to witness the "NGE".

I'm hoping the rumors of a KOTOR-based MMO are true.  Supposedly there is going to be an announcement about it sometime in October...we'll see."
You would rather see Bioware turn KOTOR into an MMO than give it a true sequel? I personally think that it is an atrocity to turn a game famous for its amazing story into a genre that is infamous for having no ability to convey story and meaning.
#7 Posted by Knives (706 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"MB said:
"I played for about the first year or so, around the time the first Jedi started showing up.  I was the second one on my server to unlock a Force Sensitive slot...I sold it on eBay and never looked back after seeing the insane XP requirements.  Best $800 I ever made, I feel sorry for the guy who bought it though.  Shortly thereafter they changed it so everyone could become a Jedi if they wished through a series of quests.  I wasn't around long enough to witness the "NGE".

I'm hoping the rumors of a KOTOR-based MMO are true.  Supposedly there is going to be an announcement about it sometime in October...we'll see."
You would rather see Bioware turn KOTOR into an MMO than give it a true sequel? I personally think that it is an atrocity to turn a game famous for its amazing story into a genre that is infamous for having no ability to convey story and meaning."
WoW changed everything. Warcraft 3 had a great story, and it transitioned well to the MMO stage.
#8 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
Knives said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"MB said:

You would rather see Bioware turn KOTOR into an MMO than give it a true sequel? I personally think that it is an atrocity to turn a game famous for its amazing story into a genre that is infamous for having no ability to convey story and meaning."
WoW changed everything. Warcraft 3 had a great story, and it transitioned well to the MMO stage."

I've played World of Warcraft, legitimately. I maxed when 60 was the limit. I was a heavy role player, too. There is no story in World of Warcraft, none. Zip. Nada.
#9 Edited by Knives (706 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"Knives said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"MB said:

WoW changed everything. Warcraft 3 had a great story, and it transitioned well to the MMO stage."

I've played World of Warcraft, legitimately. I maxed when 60 was the limit. I was a heavy role player, too. There is no story in World of Warcraft, none. Zip. Nada."
That's because all the story happens in raids, silly. And the Burning Crusade. They only, you know, kill off Illidan, not to mention Kae'thas and Vashj. Oh, and Kil'Jaeden is defeated. Nothing major, though.
#10 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
Knives said:
" That's because all the story happens in raids, silly. And the Burning Crusade. They only, you know, kill off Illidan. Nothing major."

I hope that is just poorly executed sarcasm.
#11 Edited by Knives (706 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"Knives said:
" That's because all the story happens in raids, silly. And the Burning Crusade. They only, you know, kill off Illidan. Nothing major."

"
Which part? :P Almost all major story content happens in a raid setting. Kel'Thuzad, Nefarion, Onyxia, C'thun, Illidan, Arthas? No story at all.
#12 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
Knives said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Knives said:

"
Which part? :P Almost all major story content happens in a raid setting."

Ok, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you are being sarcastic. If so, props to the commitment. If not, then I am sorry for you.
#13 Edited by Knives (706 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"Knives said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Knives said:

"

Ok, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you are being sarcastic. If so, props to the commitment. If not, then I am sorry for you."
What the fuck are you talking about? Do you know anything about WoW?
#14 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
Knives said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Knives said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Knives said:

"

Ok, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you are being sarcastic. If so, props to the commitment. If not, then I am sorry for you."
What the fuck are you talking about? Do you know anything about WoW?"
If you think that raiding is where role playing takes place, that raiding is where role play is at its best.....

Then you sir, are an idiot.
#15 Posted by Out_On_Bail (1545 posts) -

No, the role-play is made up in my head.  The story is given to me by the words on the screen written by Blizzard.

#16 Edited by Knives (706 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"Knives said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Knives said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Knives said:

"

What the fuck are you talking about? Do you know anything about WoW?"
If you think that raiding is where role playing takes place, that raiding is where role play is at its best.....

Then you sir, are an idiot."
STORY, we're talking about STORY. My original quote: That's because all the story happens in raids, silly. And the Burning Crusade. They only, you know, kill off Illidan. Nothing major." I don't understand how we got to talking about role-playing.. 
#17 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -
Knives said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Knives said:

"
Which part? :P Almost all major story content happens in a raid setting. Kel'Thuzad, Nefarion, Onyxia, C'thun, Illidan, Arthas? No story at all."
WHY MUST THEY KEEP KILLING OFF THE BEST CHARACTERS OF WARCRAFT LORE!?
#18 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

Ohohohohoh, story. Alright, sure. Yes, the story does unfold during raids. That's true. Sorry for the confusion. Regardless, I think the story is crap. Even if it was amazing, to make a game's story only unfold if you are able to waste 5-8 hours of your life in one sitting is complete crap.

#19 Posted by Knives (706 posts) -
Vinchenzo said:
"Knives said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Knives said:

"
Which part? :P Almost all major story content happens in a raid setting. Kel'Thuzad, Nefarion, Onyxia, C'thun, Illidan, Arthas? No story at all."
WHY MUST THEY KEEP KILLING OFF THE BEST CHARACTERS OF WARCRAFT LORE!?"
I'm hoping we don't have to kill Arthas. :( Maybe we get to save him instead.
#20 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -
Knives said:
"Vinchenzo said:
"Knives said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Knives said:

"
I'm hoping we don't have to kill Arthas. :( Maybe we get to save him instead."
Killing Arthas would pretty much kill the lore for me.
#21 Edited by Knives (706 posts) -
Vinchenzo said:
"Knives said:
"Vinchenzo said:
"Knives said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Knives said:

"
I'm hoping we don't have to kill Arthas. :( Maybe we get to save him instead."
Killing Arthas would pretty much kill the lore for me."
Well, his death is inevitable. But I know what you mean. It would officially be the end of the Warcraft 3 story arc. Warcraft would be heading into entirely new territory.
#22 Posted by Vager (1653 posts) -
#23 Posted by Knives (706 posts) -
Vager said:
"

The only thing I hate about WoW... It killed all the sandbox MMOs...
I would kill for a big budget sandbox MMO.

I want to play a strict Blacksmith from the UO days...
I would pay double to play something like that again.

"
Well, one could argue that it's the sandbox MMOs that are doing the best against WoW. If you look at the bigger-budget "WoW-killers", they've all failed. But games like EvE have their own little audience and are going strong.
#24 Posted by Out_On_Bail (1545 posts) -

What's funny is nobody is even talking about SWG anymore, the whole point of this thread. Instead WoW litters the pages

XD

#25 Posted by luffylol (56 posts) -

Its still kinda interesting how SWG got destroyed because they turned it into WoW.

I think SWG had amazing role playing features... aswell as the concept of a good story.

I think story in MMO should not be about long detailed quest and NPC characters... yes some, to establish the universe, but the players should make the story IMO.

For an KOTOR MMO I imagine that they should give a good presentation into the world, and then unleash players on either the light or dark side...

#26 Posted by GP1Mil (116 posts) -

SWG was insane until that fuckin NGE hit and over night it just killed like 80% of the dedicated player base, I played almost from the beginning missing the launch by about 3 months and I coped with the CU which turned my already sick bounty hunter into a more lethal one with combat medic as a skill set, but that damn NGE killed everything I wish whoever thought that idea up dies a horrible lightsaber related death.

Another note turning KOTOR into an MMO is just a stupid idea I want an actual sequel to complete a triliogy not some half baked everyone is a jedi crap that I'm sure it is going to turn into

#27 Posted by Zebadee (491 posts) -

A part of me died the day that update came...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.