Star Wars Galaxies Shutting Down December 15th 2011

#1 Edited by Gizmo (5389 posts) -
http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m?topic_id=1220357 

Finally, the old dog is being put out of its misery. 

I remember a few weeks back that the Bomb-Crew were thinking of doing a "Not Like This" of SWG a few days before the release of SW:TOR, so here's hoping that TOR stays on track for a holiday 2011 release.
#2 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

Game should of been shut down a long time ago, SW:TOR is going to fail harder and faster.

Played a few hours of it in 2 different builds and both were terrible, like how WOW is now but easier and worse which is a goddamn shame, it had potential.

Guess D3 and GW2 will have to save us.

#3 Edited by Mikemcn (7018 posts) -

The GB crew said they wanted to do something if this happened, "Not like this" Star Wars edition perhaps?

#4 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8606 posts) -

Shame, I liked the space combat a lot!

I'm curious, will the diehards who still play it be very upset or?
Perhaps pull a PSO and make their own server?

#5 Edited by SefaRed (123 posts) -

Wow, I'm amazed it lasted this long. I may be in a minority, but I enjoyed my time with SWG more than any MMO since. I made some amazing friends (which was the last thing I expected to do). My character even became quite well known on my server ( she lives on though,she inspired my name here. Her name was Sefa. She was red.)

It was definitely a game about the people rather than the game itself. You kind of had to make your own fun. I feel my friends and I really made that game our own. Fond memories.

#6 Posted by Bucketdeth (8048 posts) -

I hope we get a live stream of the GB crew playing until the shut down moment, The Matrix Online stream was awesome.

#7 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Probably because of SWTOR. They know they aren't going to be keeping anybody else when SWTOR comes out.

#8 Posted by Matt (968 posts) -

I feel dirty, playing SWTOR as news of SWG closing comes in. I loved SWG but it died a long time ago for me.

#9 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Damn, the SWG forum is full of delusional people. 

" If TOR fails its because people cant move on from SWG."
"I am seriously considering NOT even trying TOR now because of this. SWG is the best MMO out there..." 

#10 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I wonder if that means TOR will release sometime around then.  Would make sense to close it down around release so that the people still obsessively playing that will move on to the new Star Wars MMO.

#11 Edited by JCTango (1366 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Shame, I liked the space combat a lot!  I'm curious, will the diehards who still play it be very upset or? Perhaps pull a PSO and make their own server?

There's been a SWGEmu project in the works for years now.

I've given it a try for a bit - for the most part, a lot of the combat stuff has been completed.  They're still missing some parts of the game, like JTL and the newer planets, but if you ever want to relive the SWG stuff you can give that emulation project a shot.

PS:  I should add the SWGEmu emulates the Pre-CU version of the game.
#12 Posted by JoeH (197 posts) -

SWG died with NGE. God I miss pre-NGE SWG so much... was such a great game...

#13 Posted by BasketSnake (1287 posts) -

I owned SWG and the jump to lightspeed expansion. i will find it and try to input my codes to steam to DL them again

#14 Posted by ajamafalous (12153 posts) -

@CL60 said:

Probably because of SWTOR. They know they aren't going to be keeping anybody else when SWTOR comes out.

This. Definitely seems more like a business move than anything else. Don't want to have two competing Star Wars MMOs out at the same time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.