Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jun 26, 2003

A massively multiplayer game set in the Star Wars universe, Star Wars Galaxies shifted focus several times but never escaped the shadow of World of Warcraft. In December 2011, the game was shut down in preparation for the launch of BioWare's Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Watching a Galaxy Implode: Day Six

troidy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Edited By troidy
    The loading screens continue to become ever stranger.

While I’ve been mostly preoccupied with the explosion of games over the past month or two, I have been dropping into Star Wars Galaxies every once in a while, since I am apparently way into self-flagellation, and with the end approaching, I figured I’d stop being lazy and write something up. I finally just gave up on any illusion that I was still “playing” the game to see the quest content or anything of that nature, and just started wandering around this weird little world, which I find far more entertaining.

Someone really let the decorator off the leash, huh?

I wandered back to Galaxies around Halloween time, which coincides with the in-game festival of the ‘Galactic Moon Festival’, which is of course just a silly Halloween event. Just like any other MMO with holiday events, select cities and towns in the world are decorated, and a few short-term events are activated.

Yes. He is exactly what you think he is.

However, instead of making the holiday event at least somewhat fun, SOE manages to make an extremely arduous talk out of what is supposed to be a fun little distraction from the day to day doldrums of RPing in Mos Eisley… or whatever it is you do in this game. To even participate in the event, you have to go up to the event organizer, who just happens to be a Twi’lek vampire (because why not), and get a trick-or-treat kit from him. This kit allows you to, as the name suggests, trick-or-treat. While grabbing the kit, I also asked him for a costume, which resulted in me being turned into a Droideka, complete with a rolling animation instead of walking.

Something you should NOT say to a destroyer droid.

To engage in the trick-or-treating activity, you have to walk up to any random NPC in the game and manually type into your chat window “Trick or Treat” while targeting them. Apparently, the idea of making this interaction a simple dialogue prompt never occurred to the designers. From there, they can refuse to give you a treat, in which case you can use your kit to “trick” them, which creates a hologram of something “scary”. If at any point in this process, you succeed, you are given a single coin. You can also completely fail this process, and not get anything from the NPC you are trying to get a reward from. Once you succeed though, you get a single coin, of which you have to have 50 or more to buy anything. A truly entertaining holiday.

I hear there’s a Christmas event going on right now, I’ll try and get over there to take a look at that soon… and maybe get my thoughts on it up before the game ends… maybe.

troidy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By troidy

While I’ve been mostly preoccupied with the explosion of games over the past month or two, I have been dropping into Star Wars Galaxies every once in a while, since I am apparently way into self-flagellation, and with the end approaching, I figured I’d stop being lazy and write something up. I finally just gave up on any illusion that I was still “playing” the game to see the quest content or anything of that nature, and just started wandering around this weird little world, which I find far more entertaining.

I wandered back to Galaxies around Halloween time, which coincides with the in-game festival of the ‘Galactic Moon Festival’, which is of course just a silly Halloween event. Just like any other MMO with holiday events, select cities and towns in the world are decorated, and a few short-term events are activated.

However, instead of making the holiday event at least somewhat fun, SOE manages to make an extremely arduous talk out of what is supposed to be a fun little distraction from the day to day doldrums of RPing in Mos Eisley… or whatever it is you do in this game. To even participate in the event, you have to go up to the event organizer, who just happens to be a Twi’lek vampire (because why not), and get a trick-or-treat kit from him. This kit allows you to, as the name suggests, trick-or-treat. While grabbing the kit, I also asked him for a costume, which resulted in me being turned into a Droideka, complete with a rolling animation instead of walking.

To engage in the trick-or-treating activity, you have to walk up to any random NPC in the game and manually type into your chat window “Trick or Treat” while targeting them. Apparently, the idea of making this interaction a simple dialogue prompt never occurred to the designers. From there, they can refuse to give you a treat, in which case you can use your kit to “trick” them, which creates a hologram of something “scary”. If at any point in this process, you succeed, you are given a single coin. You can also completely fail this process, and not get anything from the NPC you are trying to get a reward from. Once you succeed though, you get a single coin, of which you have to have 50 or more to buy anything. A truly entertaining holiday.

I hear there’s a Christmas event going on right now, I’ll try and get over there to take a look at that soon… and maybe get my thoughts on it up before the game ends… maybe.

Diomed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Diomed

So freaking bad. The game had such potential and while Sony got several of my dollars through the years, its still sad to see it go down like this. A half realized genius aborted.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Looking forward to more posts.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Dagbiker

So, this is cannon right?

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The fact that your game name is 'Tonoku, Charlie' means that I will read any thread you post.

Ever.

Forever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.