Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jun 26, 2003

A massively multiplayer game set in the Star Wars universe, Star Wars Galaxies shifted focus several times but never escaped the shadow of World of Warcraft. In December 2011, the game was shut down in preparation for the launch of BioWare's Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Watching a Galaxy Implode: Day Two

troidy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Edited By troidy

With my landspeeder colored a properly garish purple, I decided to continue following what seemed to be the main quest-line. Jabba had apparently taken an interest in me, and now I have to start doing jobs for him, or “face his wrath”… or something. I don’t know how many times I’ve been told that I’m ‘special’ by different NPCs at this point, but it’s really starting to get old.

As I was wandering around completing fetch quests, I stumbled onto a Bounty Hunter terminal. There was a list of NPC bounties that I could accept, so I figured what the hell, and grabbed one. By this time, I had realized that my landspeeder was utterly pointless with the atmospheric flight update, so I hopped in my starfighter, and flew over to the target. There was a pretty serious problem there though. While the bounty target was my level, and I killed him easily, all the random animals that were around were way above my level, which led to a rather predictable conclusion of me dying. When I died, I had to choose a location to be “cloned” at, and then I got “clone sickness” for ten minutes afterwards. Any of this will sound super familiar to anyone who has ever played WoW before, and probably shows what Sony was going for when they redesigned the game.

Hey! You're gonna need a warrant for that!

Almost immediately after I exited the cloning facility I was accosted by “a Mos Eisley police officer” who searched me for contraband. Since I had clone sickness anyway, I started following him while he was on his rounds. Apparently if I hadn’t been paying attention and just kept running he would have fined me on the assumption that I was running away from him since I had contraband, which seems a bit absurd for how simple and dumbed down the rest of the game feels. The whole game to me feels like this weird amalgamation of hardcore old-school MMO mechanics and the new school of MMOs built around a low barrier to entry and hand-holding.

Just like shootin' womp rats, eh kid?

After my Clone Sickness wore off, I went back to some more quests, and started realizing how much flying has broken the game. Every scouting/recon quest in the game can be done in a few minutes, and getting to any new area takes only a few minutes, compared to the long times it would’ve taken in a ground mount. After doing way too many tedious quests, I hit level 10, which always seems to be a pretty big milestone in any MMO. My chat log was suddenly filled with notifications about droid abilities I had just learned, which I assume is some sort of pet, but I was given no instructions about how to go about acquiring a droid or using one. I did get a sweet backpack that I could throw stuff into though, so that was pretty cool I guess.

My mommy says I'm special.

After finishing off the Jabba series of quests, I was left with no real direction, and just started wandering. I found a new random person who wanted to tell me about how special I was. Since I love positive reinforcement so much, I decided to start his quest line. The first quest for me, the “super special savior of the universe”? I needed to go learn about money management at the bank.

No Caption Provided

On my way over to the bank however, someone decided that I needed to join their “story” and spammed me with way too many invites. I’ve made some comments about some pretty terrible stuff in this game so far, but this by far takes the cake. I got probably over a hundred invites from this guy, which I’ve arrayed in the above screenshot for effect, but they were all stacked up in one big stack originally. After I took that shot, I tried to close them all using escape, but at a point I got tired of mashing the button over and over and just logged off, ending day two.

troidy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1  Edited By troidy

With my landspeeder colored a properly garish purple, I decided to continue following what seemed to be the main quest-line. Jabba had apparently taken an interest in me, and now I have to start doing jobs for him, or “face his wrath”… or something. I don’t know how many times I’ve been told that I’m ‘special’ by different NPCs at this point, but it’s really starting to get old.

As I was wandering around completing fetch quests, I stumbled onto a Bounty Hunter terminal. There was a list of NPC bounties that I could accept, so I figured what the hell, and grabbed one. By this time, I had realized that my landspeeder was utterly pointless with the atmospheric flight update, so I hopped in my starfighter, and flew over to the target. There was a pretty serious problem there though. While the bounty target was my level, and I killed him easily, all the random animals that were around were way above my level, which led to a rather predictable conclusion of me dying. When I died, I had to choose a location to be “cloned” at, and then I got “clone sickness” for ten minutes afterwards. Any of this will sound super familiar to anyone who has ever played WoW before, and probably shows what Sony was going for when they redesigned the game.

Almost immediately after I exited the cloning facility I was accosted by “a Mos Eisley police officer” who searched me for contraband. Since I had clone sickness anyway, I started following him while he was on his rounds. Apparently if I hadn’t been paying attention and just kept running he would have fined me on the assumption that I was running away from him since I had contraband, which seems a bit absurd for how simple and dumbed down the rest of the game feels. The whole game to me feels like this weird amalgamation of hardcore old-school MMO mechanics and the new school of MMOs built around a low barrier to entry and hand-holding.

After my Clone Sickness wore off, I went back to some more quests, and started realizing how much flying has broken the game. Every scouting/recon quest in the game can be done in a few minutes, and getting to any new area takes only a few minutes, compared to the long times it would’ve taken in a ground mount. After doing way too many tedious quests, I hit level 10, which always seems to be a pretty big milestone in any MMO. My chat log was suddenly filled with notifications about droid abilities I had just learned, which I assume is some sort of pet, but I was given no instructions about how to go about acquiring a droid or using one. I did get a sweet backpack that I could throw stuff into though, so that was pretty cool I guess.

After finishing off the Jabba series of quests, I was left with no real direction, and just started wandering. I found a new random person who wanted to tell me about how special I was. Since I love positive reinforcement so much, I decided to start his quest line. The first quest for me, the “super special savior of the universe”? I needed to go learn about money management at the bank.

No Caption Provided

On my way over to the bank however, someone decided that I needed to join their “story” and spammed me with way too many invites. I’ve made some comments about some pretty terrible stuff in this game so far, but this by far takes the cake. I got probably over a hundred invites from this guy, which I’ve arrayed in the above screenshot for effect, but they were all stacked up in one big stack originally. After I took that shot, I tried to close them all using escape, but at a point I got tired of mashing the button over and over and just logged off, ending day two.

TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By TheJohn

This is sweet. Keep 'em coming!

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By adoggz

Damn it. Troid's beating me. THIS WILL NOT STAND! I will not rest till I'm off that starting space station.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By coakroach

/dance

/love

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.