Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: Jedi Knight

Franchise »

Stars Wars first foray into the FPS genre launched this ground breaking series.

What was this series like for you?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

I'm just wondering, I've had the entire trilogy, or at least I believe it's a trilogy, for a long time now, but I haven't really played them. I'm just wondering what you guys and girls thought about them. Since this new Razer Game Booster thing has come, it really made me want to install Steam again and boot up some games that I've never beat, and I look at these and kind of want to go through them now.

The specific games I'm referring to are Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast and Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy. I think it's a trilogy right? I'm not even sure, but those are the games I have and I just installed Dark Forces II. What did you guys think of these? I remember I rented one on Xbox a long time ago, but I didn't really do anything in it, though I did think it was neat. OK, thanks. I'm going to play Dark Forces II now.

Edit: OK, so I got that wrong, it's not a trilogy. I'm missing the first Dark Forces game and an expansion to Jedi Outcast. Ironically, I should have known this since I've seen these things in the past, but I guess I just forgot because of not focusing on the series all that much in the past.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By shirogane

Well, it's actually Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, Jedi Outcast then Jedi Academy.

Those games were pretty much my childhood/early teen years. I play so much of those games, they were pretty great, not sure how they hold up now though.

The lightsaber combat from Jedi Outcast onwards is probably some of the best in a Star Wars game ever up to this point, and Jedi Academy expands on this with dual lightsabers and saber staffs.

Oh right, when you play Jedi Outcast, you should probably turn on the cheat console and use the cheat that turns on limb severing. It makes the game so much better.

meaninoflife42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By meaninoflife42

I only played Jedi Academy for the Xbox and I thought it was pretty good. I tried to find Jedi Outcast for the Xbox but to no avail.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jkz

The Jedi Knight games are awesome, at least up to Outcast (which is actually chronologically before Academy: Academy's alright, just didn't have the same spark as the others).

Regardless, though, those games had the best Lightsaber combat of any Star Wars game, and were good games in their own right. I haven't played any besides Outcast since release, but I've always enjoyed Outcast each time I've played it, which usually happens, say, once a year-ish

McBEEF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By McBEEF

I love Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, probably in my top games of all time list - brilliant story, I love the mix of FPS and 3rd person lightsaber combat, and even the multiplayer was a blast. (limb severing was sooo goood). Still holds up today I'd say.

Jedi Academy was also great but not as good as Outcast, although it did have taun-tauns and speeder bikes......

Never played the dark forces games unfortunately, really wish they would make a Jedi Knight 3 though.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By AndrewB

Play Jedi Knight 2. It's a real bummer until you get that lightsaber, but once you do, it's a helluva lot more fun. Love Kyle Katarn.

Jedi Academy expands the lightsaber combat, but the story in the game is limited by the fact that you're your own created character. It falls flat.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I never got around to Jedi Academy but the rest of the games were super rad. I loved Jedi Outcast. Kyle Katarn was a really cool character part of the reason I didn't play Academy was him not being who you play as.

MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By MayorFeedback

Outcast is one of my very favorite games of all time.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bicycleham

Jedi Academy in probably my favorite.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Jedi Outcast is one of my favorite gaming experiences. Dark Forces... hmm.. Dark Forces.. oh yeah. FUCK YOU COMPUTER: Dark Forces is the game I've been trying to play off and on the last I don't know how many years. It runs for 20-25 minutes then it's just G over.

Academy is pretty good too.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rattle618

I think that in some countries you cannot be legally considered a human being until you play Outcast and Academy.

If you are a youngster that grew up on the new star wars trilogy instead of the good one you might not enjoy them as much as I did. Those two games set the bar pretty high as far as Star Wars games go, and only a handful of games live up to them in my opinion.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle

They're some of the best Star Wars games around.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NTM

@Shirogane: It seems I'm missing the first one actually, and an expansion to Dark Forces II; that's unfortunate. I kind of felt like I had been missing something since Dark Forces does have the two in it.

@jukezypoo: Yeah, the light saber stuff was pretty much the exact thing I was referring to when I said it was neat. I thought that was great.

@TheSouthernDandy: That's true, but at least he's a prominent character in there and not altogether left out, or so I read. I remember now, Academy is the game I rented way back when.

TwoArmed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TwoArmed

@NTM: Unless you want the "pure" experience the first time through Jedi Academy, I would suggest going to http://www.massassi.net/, clicking Levels/Mods under Downloads, clicking Jedi Academy Mods, and downloading the Sithworld mod. It gives almost every enemy in the game a lightsaber and minor Force powers instead of whatever weapons (blasters, etc.) they would normally have if they weren't already Force/Lightsaber users. I always love going back to that game with that mod since the lightsaber combat is the most fun part and it's awesome ripping through a bunch of stormtroopers that have lightsabers. I'd link right to the mod, but on that site the URL doesn't change from the homepage, so it would take you to the homepage regardless.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Brendan

Jedi Knight 2 is in my favourite games list on Giantbomb, so I guess that answers your question for you.

There will probably never be Jedi Knight style games again, and that makes me a sad panda.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By csl316

I played some lengthy demo of Jedi Outcast and it was great. But that's before I actually bought PC games myself (unless they ended in -Craft).

Laurentech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Laurentech

@Shirogane said:

Well, it's actually Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, Jedi Outcast then Jedi Academy.

Those games were pretty much my childhood/early teen years. I play so much of those games, they were pretty great, not sure how they hold up now though.

The lightsaber combat from Jedi Outcast onwards is probably some of the best in a Star Wars game ever up to this point, and Jedi Academy expands on this with dual lightsabers and saber staffs.

Oh right, when you play Jedi Outcast, you should probably turn on the cheat console and use the cheat that turns on limb severing. It makes the game so much better.

Yea! The modding community really made Jedi Academy's saber combat and force powers into something special. It took a lot of skill and practice to get really good at, and the online community was very competitive. No other Star Wars game has done that. I miss it.

IMO, even unmodded, those games largely surpass any other attempt at Star Wars in video game form.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By The_Ruiner

Jedi Outcast is my favorite Star Wars game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.