Lucasarts releasing a KotOR collection at retail

#1 Edited by Kidavenger (3626 posts) -

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-collection-pc/10216305.aspx?path=aeaa94d95c40df2d13057d602207efdeen02

I seriously just bought an ancient copy of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords last week off of Amazon after waiting forever for it to come to Steam which is likely to happen now that it appears Lucasarts is doing something with it.

I bought it because of this story apparently the team that was restoring all of the missing content finally finished the job and the complete game is available now.

Wonder if they have/will patch KotOR 1 as it's very hard to get running on modern systems...

#2 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1843 posts) -

ive never played KOTOR 2 and since its pc i could download that restoration mod brings back some of the old content so maybe ill pick it up

#3 Posted by Brendan (8124 posts) -

I'm guessing the modded "complete" content is not a part of any salable package, correct?

#4 Posted by Marz (5671 posts) -

still waiting to find kotor 2 for 10$

#5 Posted by BrockNRolla (1694 posts) -

I would absolutely pick up KotOR 2 if they put it on Steam.

#6 Posted by Kidavenger (3626 posts) -

@Brendan: it's not part of this collection, but it is a free download.

#7 Posted by Brendan (8124 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

@Brendan: it's not part of this collection, but it is a free download.

Cool, thanks for the info! I'll pick it up if it ever goes on Steam.

#8 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6402 posts) -

It's unfortunate that I already have both, but I only have them on the original Xbox so I might consider picking the collection up.

#9 Posted by AlisterCat (5717 posts) -

Good, because my retail copy has like 6 CDs.

#10 Posted by Barrock (3553 posts) -

So they aren't releasing this on consoles?

#11 Posted by Kidavenger (3626 posts) -

@Barrock: I doubt it, it would have been a no brainer for them to have done it last December when the MMO was being hyped up so much; probably would have been real easy to port to the 360 too.

#12 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

I bought it yesterday at my local Best Buy. Neither game works on my machine. I get to the main menu, the screen isn't sized properly and right after I click play it crashes for both games. Trying to find solutions but this is a huge bummer because most of the fixes are for the older versions of the game.

#13 Posted by Barrock (3553 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

@Barrock: I doubt it, it would have been a no brainer for them to have done it last December when the MMO was being hyped up so much; probably would have been real easy to port to the 360 too.

Well that's depressing. My girlfriend really dug KotOR but I didn't have the second. It's expensive. :(

#14 Edited by Kidavenger (3626 posts) -

@msavo: What worked for me was just setting the default video resolution for my computer to a non widescreen resolution (1072*768 I think) and disabling the cinematic movies in the KotOR settings. there are so many "solutions" out there that it took me forever to find something that worked.

It's kind of insane that they are putting something out when it is still busted though, seems like it would be really easy for them to fix this problem.

#15 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1843 posts) -

@Kidavenger: no offense but obsidian knows how to break games really well. i still have tons of enemies fall through the ground in new vegas

#16 Posted by WarlordPayne (705 posts) -

@Kidavenger: LucasArts doesn't give a shit if something is busted. It's Star Wars so they know people will buy it, that's where their thought process stops.

#17 Edited by Kidavenger (3626 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid: Bugs are a bit more understandable(not really excusable), but for KotOR 1 wasn't Obsidian and it straight up doesn't work at all out of the box, the game won't even get past the main menu without some tweeks that are really hard to figure out because everyone is providing different solutions and Lucasarts isn't saying anything.

I did end up getting it working, so I'm glad it's available still and not abandoned like System Shock 2.

#18 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

@msavo: What worked for me was just setting the default video resolution for my computer to a non widescreen resolution (1072*768 I think) and disabling the cinematic movies in the KotOR settings. there are so many "solutions" out there that it took me forever to find something that worked.

It's kind of insane that they are putting something out when it is still busted though, seems like it would be really easy for them to fix this problem.

Are you talking about the KOTOR settings in game or within the game files? Because I remember doing something like that years ago when I had my old discs but the way this DVD version installed seems different to me.

#19 Posted by Rohok (554 posts) -

If KOTOR 2 came to steam, I'd grab it in a heartbeat. Already own every Star Wars game so far, just need that one to complete the collection.

#20 Posted by Kidavenger (3626 posts) -

@msavo: For the resolution, do that in your computer control panel for your video card.

For the cinematics, I'll have to check next time I'm home, I believe there is a configuration utility that comes with the game where you can turn them off, but it's been a few months since I last messed with it.

#21 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

@Kidavenger: I've been messing around with this version as well as the Steam one and no luck. I'll try it again on a different machine.

#22 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1811 posts) -

@Rohok said:

Already own every Star Wars game so far.

You mean you own all the "Activity Centers", too?

#23 Posted by Rohok (554 posts) -

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

@Rohok said:

Already own every Star Wars game so far.

You mean you own all the "Activity Centers", too?

On STEAM! I mean on STEAM!

#24 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1894 posts) -

I've never used this phrase before, but I feel that it's the only one appropriate: I have major game wood right now.

#25 Posted by JeanLuc (3608 posts) -

@Marz said:

Your wish is granted. Its now on steam for $10.

#26 Posted by Marz (5671 posts) -

@JeanLuc said:

@Marz said:

Your wish is granted. Its now on steam for $10.

yah i'm probably getting it. Now i just need to find out if this version of the game can be modified with that restoration patch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.