365 Game To Play Before You Die - #8: SW: KotOR

Posted by mracoon (4971 posts) -

365 Game To Play Before You Die

Previous 5 Games

#8: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Platform(s): Xbox and PC
Release: 2003
Developer(s): BioWare
Best Quote: Anything by HK-47 but my favourite is 'Exclamation: Damn it, Master! I am an assassination droid, not a dictionary!'
GB Wiki Page

For me KOTOR is my favourite Star Wars game. I'm not a person who cared to much for the actual Star Wars universe but KOTOR made me want to find out more about the galaxy far, far away because it was so well written. All the characters from Revan to Carth to Bastila and (especially) HK-47 are amazingly well thought out and you want to know more about them and their back story. On top of that you have a fleshed out galaxy to explore using the Ebon Hawk in which there are numerous side quests to choose from.

Choice is another big deal in KOTOR. In the end all your choices come down to the binary decision of choosing good or bad but it's still fun to be able to mold your character in the way you want. Also this is one of the games which popularised moral choices so it was still a relatively fresh concept at the time.

The creation of a great world didn't have any effect on the quality of the actual gameplay mechanics. The turn-based fighting of the game is designed in a way so it feels like your actually doing more then you really are. This makes the game more active and takes away from the grind of other RPGs.  

As soon as the Star War license was given to BioWare it was inevitable that they would make a game that was a masterpiece. For all the talk of developers putting more emphasis on story BioWare is one of the few that actually follow through on it. If you're a fan of RPGs, good stories, Star Wars or just good games in general, then this is must play.

8 down 357 to go.
#1 Posted by mracoon (4971 posts) -

365 Game To Play Before You Die

Previous 5 Games

#8: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Platform(s): Xbox and PC
Release: 2003
Developer(s): BioWare
Best Quote: Anything by HK-47 but my favourite is 'Exclamation: Damn it, Master! I am an assassination droid, not a dictionary!'
GB Wiki Page

For me KOTOR is my favourite Star Wars game. I'm not a person who cared to much for the actual Star Wars universe but KOTOR made me want to find out more about the galaxy far, far away because it was so well written. All the characters from Revan to Carth to Bastila and (especially) HK-47 are amazingly well thought out and you want to know more about them and their back story. On top of that you have a fleshed out galaxy to explore using the Ebon Hawk in which there are numerous side quests to choose from.

Choice is another big deal in KOTOR. In the end all your choices come down to the binary decision of choosing good or bad but it's still fun to be able to mold your character in the way you want. Also this is one of the games which popularised moral choices so it was still a relatively fresh concept at the time.

The creation of a great world didn't have any effect on the quality of the actual gameplay mechanics. The turn-based fighting of the game is designed in a way so it feels like your actually doing more then you really are. This makes the game more active and takes away from the grind of other RPGs.  

As soon as the Star War license was given to BioWare it was inevitable that they would make a game that was a masterpiece. For all the talk of developers putting more emphasis on story BioWare is one of the few that actually follow through on it. If you're a fan of RPGs, good stories, Star Wars or just good games in general, then this is must play.

8 down 357 to go.
#2 Posted by GamerGeek360 (1959 posts) -

Yet another game I need to get for the original Xbox. Thank God it's backwards compatible.

#3 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I'm not big on RPGs, but I LOVED Knights of the Old Republic. I beat it three different times and each time I saw new things. It's such an incredible game. This game holds some of my greatest moments ever experienced while playing a video game. It was totally superb. What a game. A must play for anyone, without question.

#4 Posted by mracoon (4971 posts) -
@sidescroller: Yes, yes I did.
#5 Posted by Yummylee (21652 posts) -

Epicly awesome game right there, only downside it has from its still incredibly inferior sequel, is the lack of character influencing...but thats just a small gripe which doesn't really hamper how better it is over The Sith Lords...and probably will be also over the MMO >8)

#6 Posted by LiquidPrince (15949 posts) -

Are you actually planning to do 365 blogs on this? ARE YOU INSANE? Just a question.

#7 Posted by mracoon (4971 posts) -
@LiquidPrince: Well I've kept it up so far so I might just be able to go through with it.
#8 Posted by LiquidPrince (15949 posts) -
@mracoon said:
" @LiquidPrince: Well I've kept it up so far so I might just be able to go through with it. "
Luck.
#9 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6197 posts) -

Great game!

#10 Posted by TheHBK (5485 posts) -

It was an amazing game.  The only flaw was the whole first part of the game where you cant use a lightsaber.  It was fixed in Kotor 2, but man that story seemed like such a rehash.  The graphics and the combat were amazing.  The whole time I knew it was turn based combat but it was such an evolution that I was able to have fun with it.  But man, those Final Fantasy guys havent learned shit.

#11 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

KOTOR was actually my first "what I would call" real RPG. I got an Xbox just to play this game. It was a nice journery around a galaxy... With the monkey off my back, I was no longer intimidated by Western RPGs. I'm a better gamer because of KOTOR.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.