is this game too outdated?

#1 Posted by RedSox8933 (2428 posts) -

i never played this game, it was just one of those games that i missed and i want to play it. i can get it REALLY cheap, but i want to know if it is too outdated for me to start playing it now.

#2 Edited by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

Noooooo. This game is never outdated, it's my all time favorite game. It has a killer story and great gameplay. You should get it without hesitation. If you like Star Wars, are a fan of RPGs, or both you have to get this game.

You liked Mass Effect so you will probably like this. Mass Effect is pretty much the spiritual successor to KOTOR, even though they are in two different universes; the forumla for Mass Effect was based on KOTOR.

Get it.

#3 Posted by Xeros606 (545 posts) -

actually i think its more advanced than most new games in terms of gameplay depth and its storytelling qualities.

#4 Posted by RedSox8933 (2428 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"

Noooooo. This game is never outdated, it's my all time favorite game. It has a killer story and great gameplay. You should get it without hesitation. If you like Star Wars, are a fan of RPGs, or both you have to get this game.

You liked Mass Effect so you will probably like this. Mass Effect is pretty much the spiritual successor to KOTOR, even though they are in two different universes; the forumla for Mass Effect was based on KOTOR.

Get it.

"
thanks man.
#5 Posted by Major (506 posts) -

Kotor has aged rather well. Just don't play it on the 360... doesn't work well with BC.

#6 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -

The gameplay may feel a bit outdated, and glitchy if you're playing it on the 360. But it's still fun and the stories great. I just replayed it a few months ago on my 360.

#7 Posted by legend_cloud (359 posts) -

I never played it but I think it could be quite addicting.

#8 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
Major said:
"Kotor has aged rather well. Just don't play it on the 360... doesn't work well with BC."

There are some bugs when running KOTOR on the 360; oddly enough these are not as bad in KOTOR II. But KOTOR is more than playable and well worth your time and money.

No problem, redsox.
#9 Posted by Justaddwater (291 posts) -

I wouldnt be able to play it if I tried now, way too outdated for me, especially the combat.

#10 Posted by Major (506 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"Major said:
"Kotor has aged rather well. Just don't play it on the 360... doesn't work well with BC."

There are some bugs when running KOTOR on the 360; oddly enough these are not as bad in KOTOR II. But KOTOR is more than playable and well worth your time and money.

No problem, redsox."
Ah ok. I played threw both recently and I couldn't remember which had the worse of the problems. One of them had terrible audio problems and made my ears bleed.
#11 Edited by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
Major said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Major said:
"Kotor has aged rather well. Just don't play it on the 360... doesn't work well with BC."

There are some bugs when running KOTOR on the 360; oddly enough these are not as bad in KOTOR II. But KOTOR is more than playable and well worth your time and money.

No problem, redsox."
Ah ok. I played threw both recently and I couldn't remember which had the worse of the problems. One of them had terrible audio problems and made my ears bleed."

If you mean the clicking, then that was KOTOR. What I find pretty funny is that there are MASSIVE spelling errors in the text in KOTOR II on the 360. Words get repeated and others are just blatantly spelled incorrectly. Still well worth the money. I stand firmly with that in mind.
#12 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

I played the game when I first got my 360 in 2006...I loved it then and I still love it now. It holds up really well and it will always be attributed with the amazing fact that it made me think hopeful about Episodes 1-3 (after already seeing and hating them) and buying all of them :P

#13 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

it isn't visually pleasing and the combat looks rather... crap TBH. but my oh my it is one awesome game with a gripping story, lots of customization, and just generally everything.

#14 Edited by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

Kush said:

"I played the game when I first got my 360 in 2006...I loved it then and I still love it now. It holds up really well and it will always be attributed with the amazing fact that it made me think hopeful about Episodes 1-3 (after already seeing and hating them) and buying all of them :P"


The second trilogy isn't as bad as people say it is. Sure the dialogue is terrible, but aside from that I can't think of anything that the original trilogy did better.

The first trilogy is so revered because of the concepts it introduced and the special effects for its time. Go watch them again, though. The acting is pretty bad. Aside from Harrison Ford the rest of the cast is almost laughable. The action is also relatively boring.

Episodes 1-3 have fantastic special effects and the lightsaber battles are pretty damn epic, these movies also introduce a cast of some pretty badass characters. Mace Windu, Darth Maul, Count Duku, General Grevious, etc. Alright, Hayden Christiansen can't act. So what? Keanu Reeves is just as bad if not worse and The Matrix trilogy is seen by so many as revolutionary.

I saw Revenge of the Sith twice over the last couple of days and liked it a lot. Ewan McGregor did a great job and in the final scene he actually shows some talent that he hadn't shown in previous movies. I'm not saying these movies are oscar worthy, but to be honest I like them more than the originals.

There!

#15 Edited by Magnum (349 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"

The second trilogy isn't as bad as people say it is. Sure the dialogue is terrible, but aside from that I can't think of anything that the original trilogy did better.

A movie consists of dialog to tell a story and pictures so the viewer can see the characters in action. So your theory is that half of that description of a movie is bad and there still good movies? I'd even argue that the pictures sucked because everything was CG and fake looking. Lets review then, Episodes I, II, III are a fake looking uninteractive video games but with a shitty story. Nice.
#16 Posted by Lies (3868 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"Major said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Major said:
"Kotor has aged rather well. Just don't play it on the 360... doesn't work well with BC."

There are some bugs when running KOTOR on the 360; oddly enough these are not as bad in KOTOR II. But KOTOR is more than playable and well worth your time and money.

No problem, redsox."
Ah ok. I played threw both recently and I couldn't remember which had the worse of the problems. One of them had terrible audio problems and made my ears bleed."

If you mean the clicking, then that was KOTOR. What I find pretty funny is that there are MASSIVE spelling errors in the text in KOTOR II on the 360. Words get repeated and others are just blatantly spelled incorrectly. Still well worth the money. I stand firmly with that in mind."
There were PLENTY of bugs in KOTOR even on the original Xbox.

I would still recommend playing it though. Some portions are undeniably outdated (the graphics and the combat), but the story, characters, and gameplay are all still fantastic. Be sure to snag the downloadable space station if it's still available over LIVE. It adds one new quest, a new shop with some great gear, and two fantastic lightsaber crystals you can't get anywhere else.

Of course, by this point I imagine it has vanished into the ether, because Bioware probably took the server down, but it's worth checking to see if it's still there.
#17 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
Magnum said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"

The second trilogy isn't as bad as people say it is. Sure the dialogue is terrible, but aside from that I can't think of anything that the original trilogy did better.

A movie consists of dialog to tell a story and pictures so the viewer can see the characters in action. So your theory is that half of that description of a movie is bad and there still good movies? I'd even argue that the pictures sucked because everything was CG and fake looking. Lets review then, Episodes I, II, III are a fake looking uninteractive video games but with a shitty story. Nice."

Agree to disagree.
#18 Posted by unworthyBOZO (201 posts) -

No way its still a fantastic game

#19 Posted by Magnum (349 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"Magnum said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"

The second trilogy isn't as bad as people say it is. Sure the dialogue is terrible, but aside from that I can't think of anything that the original trilogy did better.

A movie consists of dialog to tell a story and pictures so the viewer can see the characters in action. So your theory is that half of that description of a movie is bad and there still good movies? I'd even argue that the pictures sucked because everything was CG and fake looking. Lets review then, Episodes I, II, III are a fake looking uninteractive video games but with a shitty story. Nice."

Agree to disagree."
word
#20 Posted by chronicsmoke (1001 posts) -

hell no! its still a great game

#21 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

KOTOR is more fun to play than Mass Effect, BY FAR. Even though I've already beaten it, it's still more fun to play.

#22 Posted by ATrevelan (606 posts) -

The PC version still holds its ground today, I think. The graphics are more detailed than on Xbox, it's less prone to slowdown in large battles, and any mid-range PC today can play it perfectly (low ends need to turn down some bells and whistles but it'll work fine.)

Playing the Xbox version on the 360 is prone to some long load times, a few audio glitches (every 10 seconds or so if you're playing KOTOR 2 on 360), and I've had it hang up a couple times. So I switched to the PC version and I've had no problems at all. Fast loads, sharp audio (headphones are my method of choice), sharper looks, great overall package. One of the few games I consistently revisit.

#23 Posted by zoozilla (984 posts) -
ATrevelan said:
"The PC version still holds its ground today, I think. The graphics are more detailed than on Xbox, it's less prone to slowdown in large battles, and any mid-range PC today can play it perfectly (low ends need to turn down some bells and whistles but it'll work fine.)

Playing the Xbox version on the 360 is prone to some long load times, a few audio glitches (every 10 seconds or so if you're playing KOTOR 2 on 360), and I've had it hang up a couple times. So I switched to the PC version and I've had no problems at all. Fast loads, sharp audio (headphones are my method of choice), sharper looks, great overall package. One of the few games I consistently revisit."
Agree completely.  If you have a choice, make the right choice and get the PC version.  If your PC is less than 5 years old, you should be able to play it fine; while there are some compatibility issues that have never been addressed (I still don't get the frame rate I feel I should be getting, though it's still fairly smooth), most comps should be okay.

The PC also gives you access to mods, which is always a nice thing.  There are actually some pretty sweet mods for KotOR, if you dig around.  The game also feels very natural on the PC- as it should.
#24 Posted by Kloreep (139 posts) -

Yeah, PC is a good idea for KOTOR1. Even more so for the sequel, because the game was released in such an unpolished state that the upcoming Restoration mod will be a must-have when released.

#25 Posted by SaucySala (347 posts) -

Definitely, go for the PC version. Higher res, better detail, better effects.

Need I say more?

Also, this is one of my all-time favorite games. GET IT!

#26 Posted by DualReaver (3882 posts) -

Defiantly not outdated, it's amazing, be sure to get the PC version for some neat mods.
I love the one that lets you take Bastilla with you on that sith planet, she actually has a lot to say.

#27 Posted by semicolon1twlev2 (894 posts) -
Lies said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Major said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Major said:
"Kotor has aged rather well. Just don't play it on the 360... doesn't work well with BC."

There are some bugs when running KOTOR on the 360; oddly enough these are not as bad in KOTOR II. But KOTOR is more than playable and well worth your time and money.

No problem, redsox."
Ah ok. I played threw both recently and I couldn't remember which had the worse of the problems. One of them had terrible audio problems and made my ears bleed."

If you mean the clicking, then that was KOTOR. What I find pretty funny is that there are MASSIVE spelling errors in the text in KOTOR II on the 360. Words get repeated and others are just blatantly spelled incorrectly. Still well worth the money. I stand firmly with that in mind."
There were PLENTY of bugs in KOTOR even on the original Xbox.

I would still recommend playing it though. Some portions are undeniably outdated (the graphics and the combat), but the story, characters, and gameplay are all still fantastic. Be sure to snag the downloadable space station if it's still available over LIVE. It adds one new quest, a new shop with some great gear, and two fantastic lightsaber crystals you can't get anywhere else.

Of course, by this point I imagine it has vanished into the ether, because Bioware probably took the server down, but it's worth checking to see if it's still there."
I'm pretty sure it's still there.  I got it a few months ago.
#28 Posted by Otacon (2209 posts) -

I would play it, It's really good.

#29 Posted by Burns09 (340 posts) -

Is it worth getting for the 360 if you don't already own it?

#30 Posted by Bulldog19892 (1795 posts) -

No way is it outdated. It still kicks ass, even today. That game is timeless.

#31 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -

The combat may be a little outdated, but overall it's still a great game and holds up.

As to the person who doesn't like Star Wars but likes great games...probably not? I mean the game is great, but of course it's all centered around Star Wars and the universe around it. So if you don't like Star Wars you most likely won't like this game. If you just think Star Wars is okay though, you might enjoy it.

#32 Posted by TheGreatFillip (6 posts) -

I own both of them for the Xbox. Honestly it is probably going to be difficult to find an Xbox copy, and the PC one runs and looks better anyways. However, if you are thinking about playing them, do it. Kotor 1 is my favorite game rivaled only by the original Metal Gear Solid. I couldn't reccomend it enough.

#33 Posted by Roger778 (960 posts) -

GET IT!
#34 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -

stupid necromancer is stupid

#35 Edited by Voxatron (353 posts) -

No way it's totally a piece of important gaming history.

#36 Posted by stinky (1560 posts) -

Kotor had the better good/evil system. 
now in ME it's do you want to be an ass or a polite guy? 

#37 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

play it

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.