KotOR available on Mac now

#1 Edited by Kidavenger (3512 posts) -

http://store.steampowered.com/news/7963/

9 year old game gets some development time, who put in the work? and why aren't they fixing the PC version?

I'd love to hear from any Mac users that pick this up, just to find out whether it works or not without needing to dick around with it.

Most of all, I hope this gets KotOR 2 released into the digital distribution world finally.

#2 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Kinda surreal. I wonder what sort of work went into porting the game.

#3 Posted by GhettoBond (66 posts) -

It's actually been available for the Mac for a very long time, in retail box form. It was released on the Mac App Store a few months back, and just became available on Steam today. So it's definitely not a new port to the Mac. Not sure if they've resolved any of the outstanding issues with the PC version though.

It's new to Steam on the Mac, just not new to the Mac.

#4 Posted by wewantsthering (1553 posts) -

@GhettoBond said:

It's actually been available for the Mac for a very long time, in retail box form. It was released on the Mac App Store a few months back, and just became available on Steam today. So it's definitely not a new port to the Mac. Not sure if they've resolved any of the outstanding issues with the PC version though.

It's new to Steam on the Mac, just not new to the Mac.

Exactly.

#5 Edited by Irvandus (2826 posts) -

Is Kotor 2 fixed yet? Nope? Oh well back in my hole...

#6 Posted by JeanLuc (3574 posts) -

I just want Tie-fighter on steam.

#7 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11492 posts) -

@Irvandus said:

Is Kotor 2 fixed yet? Nope? Oh well back in my hole...

I totally played it with that restored content mod and wrote about it last year, so if that's what you consider "Fixed", they did that a while ago. Doesn't change the fact that the game is kind of a mess, but the one major addition, the HK factory, was almost worth the part where I had to slog through KotOR 2 again and remember "Oh right, your character is totally a Force Vacuum or whatever and that is why the bad guys who show up like twice want to kill you. Also the morality system in Star Wars doesn't actually work in practice. Who knew?"

#8 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

Is this game free to play yet? I'd like to try it out.

#9 Posted by stinky (1544 posts) -

i take issue with this bullet point.

"A brand new Star Wars role-playing experience with unique characters, creatures, vehicles and planets."

#10 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -
@Sackmanjones
Oh fuck you said KNIGHTS of the old republic. Damn you phone why cant you edit. Well all I can do is prepare *Shields up*
#11 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

Wrong game. This is KoToR, not ToR.

#12 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -
@BrockNRolla If you look above your comment I edited it without editing it
#13 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

@BrockNRolla If you look above your comment I edited it without editing it

Simultaneous post. Also I did not know you could quote yourself. Interesting.

#14 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -
@BrockNRolla It's so you can quote stupidity that you say yourself as I demonstrated above. What an educational day
#15 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

I just got it from Steam the other day. First time I've ever played the game. Not a fan of the combat and turned it off after about 15 minutes. Going to give it another try later.

#16 Posted by Chontamenti (153 posts) -

This Game is available at the AppStore for JUST 4,49€ .. at least at the German one. Just want to spread it out there.

It is awesome. Back in 2003 I didn't have a PC that could run this game, and now I get it for not even 5€! AWESOME! ^__^

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.