Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jul 15, 2003

Taking place in the Old Republic era of Star Wars, around 4000 years before the events of the films, Knights of the Old Republic is a third-person turn-based RPG where players travel the galaxy as a mysterious Republic soldier, racing against time to thwart a massive Sith fleet.

KOTOR Continues: Day 1-1

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By fwylo

Day 1-1

Had to be a subcategory due to the restart.

I ended up restarting due to the screw up in the save file that caused something to malfunction with the sound. But I am definitely already glad that I did because it is SO much better this way.  Even though I hate restarting games like that but definitely worth it for how long this game is going to be.

Decided to make a few changes in my character this time around though.  First off my new name is badass as fuck.  Kinolo Moon. 

.....Kinolo Moon. Yeah, I know. Also I went soldier this time instead of scoundrel just because I want this to be as combat based as possible for me.  But after leveling a couple of times and just Auto-level I checked my stats and noticed that no points were being put into pursuasion and my feats were being put into range based weapons instead of melee which I didn't want at all, so it looks like I'll be placing them in myself.  The lack of pursuasion was a huge factor for me already, I hated not being able to get some discounts or just bribe some people.  But we'll see where it goes from here.

Other than that most my decisions have been the same.  Going light side with all my decisions and fighting Dead Eye Duncan. Although I fought 2 finger guy about 2 hours in and defeated him this time around.  I can't decide if it was because I was duel-wielding last time or because I'm a soldier instead of a scoundrel. 

Rancor in KOTOR
    Rancor in KOTOR
    I played for about 2 hours yesterday and things went alot smoother just knowing who to talk to and things like that and I just finished clearing out the sewers.  I got past that part last time and know that the Rancor that guards the Vulkan(SP?) base is just around the corner.  But last time I couldn't figure out what to do with that stuff you pick up to attract the Rancor.  It even gives you a data thing that says. "Put this on stuff so the Rancor will eat it".  But I don't know what to do with the serum. Last time I ended up just throwing grenades at it till it died which worked decently but cost me some credits so if anyone knows what I can do with the stuff it'd be awesome. I've been running around with Carth Onasi and Mission Vao in my party. That Zaalbar guy doesn't interest me too much and Mission is a sweet little kid.

So today after work I'll pop back in and see how far I can get.  I think I'll get to the pod races and save Bastila but who knows.  I ended up giving the prototype accelerator to Godan of the Hidden Gek's last time and kind of liked how that panned out so I'll do that again. I just want to get off this damn planet and get me some fucking lightsabers!

Untill tomorrow.

Respect.......Kinolo Moon
    fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By fwylo

Day 1-1

Had to be a subcategory due to the restart.

I ended up restarting due to the screw up in the save file that caused something to malfunction with the sound. But I am definitely already glad that I did because it is SO much better this way.  Even though I hate restarting games like that but definitely worth it for how long this game is going to be.

Decided to make a few changes in my character this time around though.  First off my new name is badass as fuck.  Kinolo Moon. 

.....Kinolo Moon. Yeah, I know. Also I went soldier this time instead of scoundrel just because I want this to be as combat based as possible for me.  But after leveling a couple of times and just Auto-level I checked my stats and noticed that no points were being put into pursuasion and my feats were being put into range based weapons instead of melee which I didn't want at all, so it looks like I'll be placing them in myself.  The lack of pursuasion was a huge factor for me already, I hated not being able to get some discounts or just bribe some people.  But we'll see where it goes from here.

Other than that most my decisions have been the same.  Going light side with all my decisions and fighting Dead Eye Duncan. Although I fought 2 finger guy about 2 hours in and defeated him this time around.  I can't decide if it was because I was duel-wielding last time or because I'm a soldier instead of a scoundrel. 

Rancor in KOTOR
    Rancor in KOTOR
    I played for about 2 hours yesterday and things went alot smoother just knowing who to talk to and things like that and I just finished clearing out the sewers.  I got past that part last time and know that the Rancor that guards the Vulkan(SP?) base is just around the corner.  But last time I couldn't figure out what to do with that stuff you pick up to attract the Rancor.  It even gives you a data thing that says. "Put this on stuff so the Rancor will eat it".  But I don't know what to do with the serum. Last time I ended up just throwing grenades at it till it died which worked decently but cost me some credits so if anyone knows what I can do with the stuff it'd be awesome. I've been running around with Carth Onasi and Mission Vao in my party. That Zaalbar guy doesn't interest me too much and Mission is a sweet little kid.

So today after work I'll pop back in and see how far I can get.  I think I'll get to the pod races and save Bastila but who knows.  I ended up giving the prototype accelerator to Godan of the Hidden Gek's last time and kind of liked how that panned out so I'll do that again. I just want to get off this damn planet and get me some fucking lightsabers!

Untill tomorrow.

Respect.......Kinolo Moon
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

On Rancors and Bait:

There's some sort of corpse near the doorway you have to rig with both bait and explosives. To do this, you need a stealth-capable character, otherwise the Rancor quickly recognizes your presence and devours you without giving you a chance to retaliate. 

The corpse is literally thirty feet from the doorway you use to enter the Rancor's lair. Should be pretty easy to spot.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By fwylo
    @Sir_Ragnarok: Alright thanks.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, this blog makes me want to go back and play through the game again. 

Though, I'd have to go backwards via the 360, and the framerate isn't the greatest. :-(

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By fwylo
    @Sir_Ragnarok: Haha yea I'm playing it on 360 and it is definitely rough in some parts.  But its do-able.  The only thing I'm disappointed in is there are going to be no achievments when I get through it.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Based on the way you keep writing about what you're going to do, it makes me think that you're reading a guide or reading what you should do ahead of time. Like you say, later I'll do the pod races and save Bastila. I think that's still a bit further ahead than you are, and I don't think you'd know about all that until you reached it. Anyway, If that's the case and you're reading ahead, I'd suggest you stop and just keep pushing things forward on your own. There's too much at stake here, man. No need to spoil the game. Also, you won't really need the game to hold your hand. It's not like Zelda where you'll always be getting lost and just running around mindlessly without a guide. So go on now without one, and may the force be with you.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Daryl

Kinolo Moon :/

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By fwylo
    @TheGreatGuero: I know you've read it all, and it means that means you should know I played a bunch on Monday and then restarted yesterday.  There is no guide going on and I won't be using one.  But I've already played up to saving Bastila so I know up to that part. But thanks for the suggestion anyways :)
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @fwylo: My bad, dude. I didn't think you got that far the first time, but I guess you said you played for like 7-8 hours, which is a pretty long time.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By mikemcn

It took me so long to realize i had to put a grenade, or some sort of weapon in the rancors food, you have no idea,  on my first playthrough i sneaked by it in stealth, and all my companions died.  

I beat all the dudes in the duel arena place, the 2nd to last one, the one that looks like greedo, took one thermal detonator and a shot from a blaster pistol to kill after about 30 attempts haha. Then you kill Bendak Starkiller (If you want) which is fun.  
    Anyways now memories of this game are coming back, its my favorite game of all time, i might go back and play it one day, but i think i'd rather just savor the memories.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mikemcn: It's pretty hard for me to come back to KotOR, mostly because after playing through it once, I find the beginning incredibly tedious. 

Don't get me wrong, that slow beginning is necessary for the whole "hey-I'm-a-Jedi" part to feel rewarding, but after rising to such high heights and then starting again with petty blasters and vibroblades, things just aren't as enjoyable.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mikemcn
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    " @Mikemcn: It's pretty hard for me to come back to KotOR, mostly because after playing through it once, I find the beginning incredibly tedious.   Don't get me wrong, that slow beginning is necessary for the whole "hey-I'm-a-Jedi" part to feel rewarding, but after rising to such high heights and then starting again with petty blasters and vibroblades, things just aren't as enjoyable. "

Yea, i can see that. 

And now i remembered what a Vibro Blade was......... oh god...... i miss that game haha.
    dubios451

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By dubios451

Ah KOTOR, if only I could go back. I think I finished that game about six times. Good on you for playing it, I'll enjoy reliving it vicariously.

I'll never forget that one droid, that's as specific as I can be without spoiling things

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fwylo
    @Mikemcn: Follow along then! You'll get a warm feeling every day :)  I think I'm using Mission's Viroblade right now, just threw out the prototype from the ship.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mikemcn
    @fwylo said:
    " @Mikemcn: Follow along then! You'll get a warm feeling every day :)  I think I'm using Mission's Viroblade right now, just threw out the prototype from the ship. "

I will lol The Echani Foil was my go to vibroblade
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Oddly enough I started playing KOTOR a couple of weeks ago. I got about 10 hours into it (I'd just got off Dantooine and decided to go to Tatooine) and just didn't go back to it. I do that with a lot of RPG's. I get to a new area & for whatever reason I stop playing. I should really go back to it before too much time has passed.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By maxszy

Man this blog makes me want to go back and play it soon! Thanks for the memories! :-) Haven't played it for about two years I think, guess I should go back and do it!

As for the playing, just go through and enjoy it. Its a fabulous experience and is much, much fun.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShaneDev

For me the first planet had the best and worst parts of Kotor, some of the quests were tedious and the places were very far apart, but on the other hand it  had some of the best quests too. 

I think this game had a much more interesting starting than Mass Effect. But i would rate it starting wise as kotor 2 > kotor > mass effect (and i love mass effect)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.