KOTOR movement problems

#1 Posted by Kycon90 (62 posts) -

Someone please help, Im playing the PC version of star wars KOTOR, and as im playing, every once in a while my character's movement locks up and I can't move him, How do I fix this, it's getting really annoying because I keep having to save and reload constantly.

#2 Posted by pause422 (6170 posts) -

I have no idea what it could be. I had KOTOR on the PC a long time ago and dont have any problems with it. The only thing I could see(unless its some weird bugor glitch) is maybe you are somehow doing the pause the action command when you arent realizing it? I dont know what else it could be.

#3 Posted by Jeust (10451 posts) -
@Kycon90: what the system you're using (Vista/XP/ME)?
#4 Posted by Cygnus_X89 (133 posts) -
@pause422 said:
" I have no idea what it could be. I had KOTOR on the PC a long time ago and dont have any problems with it. The only thing I could see(unless its some weird bugor glitch) is maybe you are somehow doing the pause the action command when you arent realizing it? I dont know what else it could be. "
No, that isn't it. I have the same exact problem and I can't figure out why.  The game isn't unplayable but it can get tedious.

Kycon90, did you get that version of KOTOR from the 5 PC Star Wars game pack?
#5 Posted by Jeust (10451 posts) -

If the operating system is Vista, it probably is from it. 

The best solution is searching the internet for a solution. 

Good luck...

#6 Posted by Mikemcn (6937 posts) -

Kotor is nortorious for its bugs, if im correct, the bugs were the only downside to that game.  I had an issue where after playing for an hour, the game would lock up and start lagging like you would not believe. Nothing ever fixed that.

If its a game bug. Then you wont really be able to fix it. But it could be your sytstem, what OS do you have?
#7 Posted by RichardLOlson (1852 posts) -

It could be a bug or something like that.

#8 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

I was playing it recently using Vista and I noticed a few bugs here and there, but nothing like what you are describing 

#9 Posted by Kycon90 (62 posts) -

Thanks for the responses.

I got the game from D2D, and I'm running Vista home 64-bit. 

On my older PC i use to have the disk version and XP, I never had this problem with that version. The weirdest thing about it is, I can hit tab and switch to other characters in my party and move with them and the main character will still move on his own, but when i switch back he goes back to being stuck, it happens every once in a while. I can also click on things and he will walk over to it. But once he stops moving on his own, I can get him to start walking again.

#10 Posted by KnifeySpoony (1163 posts) -
@Kycon90: Ha, you have the exact same problem as I have. I'm also on Vista 64 bit, but unfortunately I don't have a solution. What I've been doing is saving and then reloading because it takes about 3 seconds. Would be nice to know a solution, though.
#11 Posted by ZombiePie (5561 posts) -

I find that saving the game and then reloading the save after closing the game and exiting to desktop works.

#12 Posted by Griddler (3344 posts) -

I have it and haven't had any problems, mind you, I've only played it for an hour so far.

#13 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

Stop pressing Space bar.

#14 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@Kycon90: 
http://www.giantbomb.com/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic/61-18741/forums/
#15 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

If you have a dual core processor, go into windows task manager, go over to processes, right click on the kotor exe, and click set affinity and turn off one of the check boxes. You will have to do this every time you start the game, but it fixes it for me.

#16 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -
@Breadfan said:
I was playing it recently using Vista and I noticed a few bugs here and there, but nothing like what you are describing 
Ironic. I do a Google search trying to solve this issue, and I come here.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.