Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jul 15, 2003

Taking place in the Old Republic era of Star Wars, around 4000 years before the events of the films, Knights of the Old Republic is a third-person turn-based RPG where players travel the galaxy as a mysterious Republic soldier, racing against time to thwart a massive Sith fleet.

KOTOR trouble

Rezonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Rezonator

I just recently bought KOTOR on steam and it crashes at the main menu I'm having no luck finding a fix on the Lucas Arts forums i was wondering has anyone else encountered this problem and found a fix 
    I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit  

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By rjayb89
    Rezonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Rezonator

iv tried that running with compatibility mode and having it set to administrative rights i thought installing the patch would help but it makes the game unplayable as it says at the start you need the disk even though its a digital download ah well thats 8 euro down the drain  

Rezonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rezonator

if anyone else is having this problem I found the solution to the problem what you must do is go to  
    control panel -> system -> advance -> data and performance and then add then add the .exe on to the DEP list  

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Rezonator: i was just about to suggest that. oh well, glad you fixed it =) keep in mind that most games will run on win 7 64bit with the right tinkering.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I had a similar problem on vista (it would actually play, but freeze & stop after playing for 5 minutes). I tried a few things to fix it, but I think the one that worked was program that disabled one of my processor cores (on my dual core processor) and it ran fine. Apparently KOTOR doesn't like multi-core processors, & disabling the additional cores helps. 

I can't remember the exact program I used (sorry I couldn't be more help) but hopefully a google search should be able to find it.

EDIT: Just read the replies in more detail and have seen you actually fixed it. Obviously wasn't the same problem I had then.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Jeust

DEP sucks!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.