Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jul 15, 2003

Taking place in the Old Republic era of Star Wars, around 4000 years before the events of the films, Knights of the Old Republic is a third-person turn-based RPG where players travel the galaxy as a mysterious Republic soldier, racing against time to thwart a massive Sith fleet.

Who else thinks this game has the greatest plot twist *SPOILERS*

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
    deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I almost fell off my chair when I found out who my character was.

BigbyWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BigbyWolf

[Elitist derision] Pfft, it was pretty obvious all along.

Cipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Cipher

The plot twist was pretty crazy.  I didn't see it coming at all.

Vermouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Vermouth

People seem to be of two minds regarding KOTOR's plot twist.  They either thought it was totally transparent or mind blowing.  I fell into  the latter part of that divide and was pretty shocked by the twist; but in retrospect maybe I shouldn't have been. 

Another excellent one which I don't think i've ever met anyone who saw it coming was the end of No One Lives Forever.  That ending was so crazy. 

Rexman64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Rexman64

Loved it. It almost makes up for me having been born too many years late to be shocked by the "I am your father" reveal.

Avatar image for antonysmithlive
    AntonySmithLive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AntonySmithLive

It had the right effect on me, i was angry that Bastila hadn't told me. But i also felt like i wasn't the same person. That was the first time i ever felt really really emotionaly involved in a video game character.

Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Apollo

I'd probably say yeah.

Though Bioshocks complete laugh in the face to every gamer was pretty good too mainly because it just took the whole gaming formula and slapped you in the face with it...

Vecta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vecta

Yeah I loved it.

Leon31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Leon31

I'll say yes, however I kind of new thanks to a certain friend spoiling it for me a day before I got to that part.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Gunner

At first i didnt care much, until i realised how much power i could have >:D

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Clean

I really liked it. It was a shocker!

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Hamz

I remember my first time playing and it got me by surprise, i genuinely wasn't expecting it to be the player character at all.

thai_jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#13  Edited By thai_jedi

I had no idea at all I was 13 at the time so story telling wasn't yet a formula like it is in english class. Man I have to say I was so shocked I just stared at the screen saying to myself HOLY !@#$IN GOD over and over and over again.. No other game has made me feel this way before

Avatar image for deactivated-590e87b419de4
    deactivated-590e87b419de4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sadly, that part was spoiled for me by a friend. but I have to admit it was pretty crazy!

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By suneku

It was great, and I loved it... but not the greatest... surprised the hell out of me thuogh

SkaOreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SkaOreo

It was really well done.  Should have been something obvious, yet it still too k me by surprised.  That's how well written it was.

AEKtzis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AEKtzis

hah yea it was good...what...you mean im the bad gu....wtf?

lol personally KOTOR is my favorite RPG ever. I hope they make another one.

JuMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By JuMP

The thing I liked about the twist was that although it did catch me off guard, it never took me out of the story. It made sense and it didn't feel like a twist for the sake of a twist.

Kloreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Kloreep

Definitely my favorite moment of the game. I had picked up on Carth's initial hint on Taris and had figured my character had been mind-wiped. But somehow, I utterly failed to pick up on the clues to who I was, so it was quite a surprise that I was THAT person.

I had an even better time watching a friend play through the Leviathan. I had told him I wanted to see him start out "on Maanan" after he told me he was on his last planet. He gave me a sour "so that's what this is about" look when the Ebon Hawk got picked up, but it was nothing compared to the look he gave me after he hit the twist. :D

pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20  Edited By pbhawks45

It's right up there with Luke and Darth Vader being father and son.

*SPOILERZ!!***

Nobility

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nobility

One of the best for sure but you could see it coming and you could see some similarities to Malak/Revan and Vader/Skywalker.  One of the best games I've ever played.

virgogenofiend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By virgogenofiend

Damn i didn't even know that jedi could do that to a mind like that ! they twisted the living ....i mean cybernetic fook outta the plot . it was great till the end ! brovo ! i really thought i was going to gain some sort of new powers when i awakened as revan .... i was like fook ! oh well !

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By Lies

I thought it was great. Speaking of, I am now going to go cleanse all mention of it in the KOTOR character pages.

*Saw a blurb saying Revan was KOTOR's protagonist earlier and was quite annoyed at blatant disregard for spoilers*

Also, I suppose that begs the question, should one add Revan to the party members friends lists? I mean, technically yes, they are friends, but it's a pretty big spoiler...

Kloreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Kloreep

I don't think the spoiler needs to be removed completely - just removed completely from the main KOTOR and KOTOR2 game pages. And I suppose from the Revan blurb; I saw that too and thought it was a pretty horrible place to put that revelation. But if there's going to be a Revan page, it's going to have to have spoilers, unless it's going to be just a single paragraph.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By spacetrucking

I saw it coming and I found the actual revelation kind of amusing. :P

It was still an awesome story though. Probably better than all the prequel movies put together. :/

GameFreak315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GameFreak315

That sequence totally messed with me.  I actually felt different as the character, which is weird because I usually never have that deep of a connection.  It took me a minute and several more conversations to actually get a grasp on what happened.  :P

TheGreatFillip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheGreatFillip

I played KOTOR II first of the two. I didn't know going into KOTOR what the twist would be, but when I thought back to that first conversation with Atton, the fact that I had no memory, and a few other fore-shadowing things, I figured it out right before it actually came. Didn't make it any less amazing, and afterwards being a total dick about it, reminding everyone that I was a Revan (Dark-Side)

I have played through the game about 4 or 5 times now, and I always look forward to the confrontation on the Leviathan. Also, once you play through the game again after finding you, you really notice all of the foreshadowing they did. It was one of the most cleverly obvious plot twists ever.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By pweidman

It caught me pretty good as well.  The story in KOTOR was better than any of the movies...no offense to any/all the SW's fans.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By Ineedaname

I'm never going to play it, I tried but too late on and couldn't really get into it, anyone want to tell me what it was or give me a link?
    Last summer or so actually was when I tried picked it up at a friends house.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Jimbo

I loved it, I didn't see it coming either.  I think it was probably before that point where every game, book and movie released seemingly had to have a twist.

I posted this in another thread, but Revan has to be the baddest badass ever to come out of the Star Wars universe.  Listening to that Ron Perlman guy fill in Revan's backstory was epic.

He has to be something to do with TOR, right?  I mean, he flys off to Sith space to presumably kick their ass and yet here they are 300 years later invading the shit out of the Republic.  If they don't have Revan as the ultimate bad guy responsible for the invasion, then Bioware have failed forever as far as I'm concerned.

spacegandhi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 22

#31  Edited By spacegandhi

KOTOR's plot twist is one of the reasons why it is my favorite game. I must admit, I never once considered that I was Revan. I can still remember the night I played that section of the game. As soon as Malak revealed the truth to me my parents said that dinner was ready. I left the game running, went to the table and hardly ate anything. I was emotionally devastated. As I was playing the game as a Sith it was a somewhat satisfying character moment. But I was so connected with my character I myself began to question who I was and how I could forget my past. It was one of the best character moments I have ever had in a game.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32  Edited By IBurningStar

I'm one of those people who managed to put it all together before the actual reveal happened. I was still sort of surprised when I turned out to be right, but it wasn't mind blowing. I wouldn't go so far as to say that this is without a doubt the best plot twist ever, but I would rank it high up there.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By Jeust

For me the greatest plot twist is in Jade Empire. 

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By time allen
    @Apollo said:
    " I'd probably say yeah. Though Bioshocks complete laugh in the face to every gamer was pretty good too mainly because it just took the whole gaming formula and slapped you in the face with it... "
    apart from the fact that they pulled the same twist with system shock 2, too. 

i've never been able to summon the energy to finish kotor after it was spoiled for me.
    Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Stete

Admittetly it has been done before but what makes it stand out is that it gives you a solid connection with Darth Malak, who was an awesome antagonist.   And now I want KOTOR 3 -_-

But the best plot twist for me must be the end of MGS3 which absolutely floored me.

LiudvikasT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By LiudvikasT

The plot twist made me turn to the dark side, jedi betrayal was too great to be forgiven.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.