Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Oct 26, 2010

Following the events of the first game, Darth Vader clones a replacement Starkiller, who again rebels against his master.

This is completely over the top.

Kbm600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Kbm600

Hi, my name is Kyle, and for most of my life I've been something of a Star Wars apologist/fanatic. I like the awful Prequels, the fantastic Original Trilogy, and I'm probably the only person who can sit through Episode II and have a reasonably good time doing so. These are all true, if not a bit shocking, facts. Hell, MY AVATAR IS THE LOGO OF THE EMPIRE. I think this can put to rest this disclaimer confirming that I am a die hard fan of Star Wars. 

That said, I think I've turned a relatively large blind eye to the horrible things Lucasarts has been doing to my beloved franchise. What with release after release after release of The Clone Wars bullshit, I've tried to understand that they wanted to flesh out what was intended to be a huge part of the Star Wars "timeline". You know what? I can get behind that and let that go, let the kiddies have their games based off the CGI TV series and enjoy their time with it. I get it.  I even understand turning KOTOR, arguably the prize Jewel of all that comes from the Star Wars franchise of video games, into an MMO because it seems the more ambitious and profitable route when you already have the critically acclaimed Mass Effect on the Sci-Fi RPG market. 

But here it comes, from a Star Wars nerd, Lucasarts has lost my faith in their products. Shocking, I know. Before everyone causes a ruckus and goes, "Who cares? You're one customer!" This is a blog, and it's only a blog highlighting what I think Lucasarts is doing terribly wrong for discussion's sake. I'm not out to start petitions against Lucasarts and I don't plan to go around boycotting Star Wars games from my consoles or my internet profiles, I just wanted to discuss from a "hardcore" fan's viewpoint. 

No Fun For Friends!

The Battlefront franchise is easily my most played game with friends. I would slave away for hours over xbox live with my closest friend and really enjoy just hammering away at the different factions in the multiplayer modes and seeing all the great maps and playing out our own scenarios. It really was some of the greatest time I've spent through online gaming, and with the death of the original xbox live servers that time has officially come to a close. The problem is, my friend and I have run dry of a lot of common ground in gaming let alone games that use Star Wars as a source material. Neither of us are interested in any of the repetitious Lego games so we're out of options when it comes to enjoying things like that together. It's even more unfortunate that it seems as though Battlefront III is completely unthinkable at this point, with Free Radical no longer existing and all, our hopes at reliving the previous gen experiences we enjoyed seem to have been extinguished. Lucasarts, aside from creating MMOs, haven't really given any console players any multiplayer options. Given how multiplayer seems strewn into every game nowadays, this is really unfortunate. 

No Care For Story

Sure, the points people hold against the prequels and the their respective story lines are valid and people hate George Lucas. I know this. What I don't understand is why Lucasarts plans to exacerbate these opinions further by the announcement that Starkiller is a clone in The Force Unleashed II. While the first game was no masterpiece at stringing the Pequels and The Original Trilogy together, it sure as hell did a better job than just using a storytelling tool already used not once in the Star Wars fiction, not twice, but three times. One being within the comics and books, with Palpatine being resurrected through a clone, the others being within The Force Unleashed II and the handheld version of The Battlefront games recently released for DS and PSP. While this devious lack of imagination isn't uncommon to see in a universe that has been described in so many different formats, it's unforgivable to push this storyline on consumers expecting them to take it as anything more than "Well, we weren't really expecting to get to make a sequel so this is the best we could do. That work?" 

Do you think Lucasarts can make the presentation good enough to make the reason for Starkiller's cloning reasonable? I doubt it. At this point, there isn't anything to hold my attention in the gaming world of Star Wars considering my utter lack of funds to build a PC that would be able to run any MMO. It's unfortunate that they've burned even a fanatic, but I can't see them suddenly coming out and announcing production of a console KOTOR game or the return of the Battlefront franchise. It's simply turned in a rehashing machine of uninteresting products, and I couldn't be more sad about it if I tried.
    Kbm600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Kbm600

Hi, my name is Kyle, and for most of my life I've been something of a Star Wars apologist/fanatic. I like the awful Prequels, the fantastic Original Trilogy, and I'm probably the only person who can sit through Episode II and have a reasonably good time doing so. These are all true, if not a bit shocking, facts. Hell, MY AVATAR IS THE LOGO OF THE EMPIRE. I think this can put to rest this disclaimer confirming that I am a die hard fan of Star Wars. 

That said, I think I've turned a relatively large blind eye to the horrible things Lucasarts has been doing to my beloved franchise. What with release after release after release of The Clone Wars bullshit, I've tried to understand that they wanted to flesh out what was intended to be a huge part of the Star Wars "timeline". You know what? I can get behind that and let that go, let the kiddies have their games based off the CGI TV series and enjoy their time with it. I get it.  I even understand turning KOTOR, arguably the prize Jewel of all that comes from the Star Wars franchise of video games, into an MMO because it seems the more ambitious and profitable route when you already have the critically acclaimed Mass Effect on the Sci-Fi RPG market. 

But here it comes, from a Star Wars nerd, Lucasarts has lost my faith in their products. Shocking, I know. Before everyone causes a ruckus and goes, "Who cares? You're one customer!" This is a blog, and it's only a blog highlighting what I think Lucasarts is doing terribly wrong for discussion's sake. I'm not out to start petitions against Lucasarts and I don't plan to go around boycotting Star Wars games from my consoles or my internet profiles, I just wanted to discuss from a "hardcore" fan's viewpoint. 

No Fun For Friends!

The Battlefront franchise is easily my most played game with friends. I would slave away for hours over xbox live with my closest friend and really enjoy just hammering away at the different factions in the multiplayer modes and seeing all the great maps and playing out our own scenarios. It really was some of the greatest time I've spent through online gaming, and with the death of the original xbox live servers that time has officially come to a close. The problem is, my friend and I have run dry of a lot of common ground in gaming let alone games that use Star Wars as a source material. Neither of us are interested in any of the repetitious Lego games so we're out of options when it comes to enjoying things like that together. It's even more unfortunate that it seems as though Battlefront III is completely unthinkable at this point, with Free Radical no longer existing and all, our hopes at reliving the previous gen experiences we enjoyed seem to have been extinguished. Lucasarts, aside from creating MMOs, haven't really given any console players any multiplayer options. Given how multiplayer seems strewn into every game nowadays, this is really unfortunate. 

No Care For Story

Sure, the points people hold against the prequels and the their respective story lines are valid and people hate George Lucas. I know this. What I don't understand is why Lucasarts plans to exacerbate these opinions further by the announcement that Starkiller is a clone in The Force Unleashed II. While the first game was no masterpiece at stringing the Pequels and The Original Trilogy together, it sure as hell did a better job than just using a storytelling tool already used not once in the Star Wars fiction, not twice, but three times. One being within the comics and books, with Palpatine being resurrected through a clone, the others being within The Force Unleashed II and the handheld version of The Battlefront games recently released for DS and PSP. While this devious lack of imagination isn't uncommon to see in a universe that has been described in so many different formats, it's unforgivable to push this storyline on consumers expecting them to take it as anything more than "Well, we weren't really expecting to get to make a sequel so this is the best we could do. That work?" 

Do you think Lucasarts can make the presentation good enough to make the reason for Starkiller's cloning reasonable? I doubt it. At this point, there isn't anything to hold my attention in the gaming world of Star Wars considering my utter lack of funds to build a PC that would be able to run any MMO. It's unfortunate that they've burned even a fanatic, but I can't see them suddenly coming out and announcing production of a console KOTOR game or the return of the Battlefront franchise. It's simply turned in a rehashing machine of uninteresting products, and I couldn't be more sad about it if I tried.
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ShaneDev

A clone? I never played the first Force Unleashed but that does seem like a silly way of making a sequel. Could they not have just got some other dude to be the new apprentice? 

I wonder why games like the cartoon based clone wars stuff is made, two of them I think, yet Republic Commando 2 isn't being made and I am disappointed that KOTOR is now an MMO but we have Mass Effect so fair trade?

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By gosukiller

I don't see why they felt the need to continue with the Force Unleashed with Starkiller. The FU (heh) seemed more like a concept of "Look at this awesome jedi/sith being awesome!". 

Since I'm a moderate fan of the KOTORs, I would've liked to see the 2nd FU to be set in the old republic timeline. That way, they don't have to employ all these lame tricks and clone-plots to make another game. The Old Republic gives them more than enough room to have superpowered jedis and sith walking around without infringing on any Original triology plotlines.  

The whole Kotor mmo just makes me sick to my stomach, just like the Warcraft mmo. I don't care if it's a huge succes, untill there is a Warcraft 4 or a Kotor 3, both francises are dead to me.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JokerSmilez

If you think Lucasarts care at all about the integrity of the story and canon of their universe, then as someone who claims to be a huge Star Wars fan, you really haven't been paying attention, have you?

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By CptBedlam

I found the Starkiller character already ridiculous and too over the top anyway. So I won't even bother discussing his continued story. All this stuff just seems desperate and out of place. At this point, the SW franchise has been raped so many times and caring about it is just wasted time.

Kbm600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kbm600
    @JokerSmilez said:
    " If you think Lucasarts care at all about the integrity of the story and canon of their universe, then as someone who claims to be a huge Star Wars fan, you really haven't been paying attention, have you? "
    I already explained in my blog I don't expect Lucasarts to care, I just was opening the topic for discussion. 

And considering the fleshed out and well thought stories from the expanded universe via many of the books, I could hope. Some of the books series have better storylines than either of the trilogies.
    JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JokerSmilez
    @Kbm600:
    I'm pretty sure the movie/show, games, and literature (novels and comics) sides of the Lucas business are very separate things, so it's not surprising that one aspect of their business seems to care a great deal about the story and universe while others seem to not give a damn.

I think the whole idea of trying to cram as much garbage as they possibly can in between and around the original trilogy is kind of gross and obviously a ploy for cash (there are 3animated projects about the clone wars!), which is why KOTOR and the books are so appealing to me.

As for the books and having a fleshed out and excellent story, well, they're books. Without a good story and thought out universe, there really isn't anything to go on. For games and shows and such "entertainment", they can just be flashy and have some thin connection with the movies and people who buy it up.

I have a friend who's actually written books within the Star Wars EU and they've been tentatively approved for publication down the road, but after his "approval" he was sent a super secret package containing the future timeline, plot elements, etc of the coming books for the next several years and was told he had until X date to edit his books to make sure they were in line with everything in that document. He also had to sign a NDA which includes an agreement to not copy any portion of the document and has to send it all back very soon. It's actually pretty cool that they have it all planned out so thoroughly and carefully.

Somehow I have my doubts that the game and movie/tv sides of the business care nearly as much.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.