52 Weeks

• 72 results
#1 Posted by Shinryu (245 posts) -

Dear Customer

We are contacting you regarding your account for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

From an investigation of your account we can see that your account was used to violate our Terms of Service.

Specifically, this account participated in exploiting the vendors within the game to generate currency or items in a way that is unintended by design. Your participation in this exploit can create a negative impact on the economy within the game.

As you have violated our Terms of Service we will be applying a suspension on your account. We are applying a 52 week (8784 hours) suspension on your account effective immediately.

Please note that for an Exploit of this nature we reserve the right to further investigate the matter and apply further sanctions if required.

We encourage you to familiarise yourself with our Terms of Service which can be found here:

http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/

Thank you for your understanding.

If you feel you have received this suspension in error, please contact us at swtoraccountdisputes@bioware.com

Dat Ban

#2 Posted by Delta_Ass (3282 posts) -

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

#3 Posted by Shinryu (245 posts) -

@Delta_Ass said:

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Ohh i'll be doin the time.

Just thought it was hilarious that it was 52 weeks lol

#4 Posted by mosdl (3259 posts) -

I wish they did this in BF3 more, but in SWTOR's case they have access to all servers

#5 Posted by Shinryu (245 posts) -

Yeah it's great, but funny as hell since instead of saying perma ban it's a temporary 52 week ban xD

#6 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4833 posts) -

LOL the 52 weeks is already fucking gold, but the fact they added 8784 hours feels like they're rubbing it in.

#7 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

Ugh, all these bans from The Old Republic seem really shitty.

What exactly did you do that got you banned?

#8 Posted by Shinryu (245 posts) -

Vendored an item that was selling for more than it should have been. 52 Weeks! xD

#9 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@Shinryu said:

Vendored an item that was selling for more than it should have been. 52 Weeks! xD

Wow, fucking unbelievable.  Was it a one time item, or was it a really easily obtained and exploitable?

Either way, it seems inexcusable on Bioware/EA's part. 
#10 Posted by coakroach (2492 posts) -

Somebody found a way to exploit something in our broken game! Better stop them from ever playing again!

Fucking idiots.

#11 Posted by Jimbo (10008 posts) -

This is so fucking dumb. If people are exploiting a mechanic you unintentionally left in your game then how about, I don't know, fix your damn game? EA are like a fucking goodwill blackhole or something.

#12 Posted by JM12088 (40 posts) -

This happens in all MMO's.

You exploit or cheat you get a ban. Stop acting like a bunch of whiny teenagers just cause it's EA.

#13 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@JM12088 said:

You exploit or cheat you get a ban. Stop acting like a bunch of whiny teenagers just cause it's EA.

If it's from something you could do unintentionally though, such as vendoring a lot of old gear/trash items only for one of them to sell for more than it should I don't think you should get banned for it.

Although if you are buying a ton of the same item from a vendor then selling it back then yeah maybe that gives them more justification.

#14 Posted by JM12088 (40 posts) -

@Sooty:True. But then that's why they allow you to appeal the ban incase it was accidental.

#15 Posted by SuperUltra (46 posts) -

@EvilTwin said:

@Shinryu said:

Wow, fucking unbelievable. Was it a one time item, or was it a really easily obtained and exploitable? Either way, it seems inexcusable on Bioware/EA's part.

Inexcusable to ban someone for breaking the rules? Isn't that what they're supposed to be doing?

#16 Posted by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -

@Shinryu said:

@EvilTwin said:

@Shinryu said:

Wow, fucking unbelievable. Was it a one time item, or was it a really easily obtained and exploitable? Either way, it seems inexcusable on Bioware/EA's part.

A one time thing, although i suppose if you never finished the quest it could be massively abused over a long period of time.

You should contact Rockpapershotgun. They've been covering EAs craz bans for a while now, and anecdotal evidence like this is great. Absolutely outrageous. Just google SW:TOR RPS and fire the author of the article an e-mail saying why you got banned and the resulting action taken against you.

Saying that, the letter (and ban time) are fucking hilarious. 8784 hours? I mean, was that distinction really necessary?

#17 Posted by JoMate (238 posts) -

Seriously guys, why all the fuz the guy has admited to have used an exploit and yes there are bugs in the game and it would be unfair to get banned if you acidentally stumbled across them. but it will probably state in the agreements thing (which we have all agreed to) that exploiting bugs will result in bans which seems totally fair and even desirable if you ask me. Unless you would rather have EA not ban anyone who did this resulting in a broken ass game.

#18 Posted by ectoplasma (987 posts) -

Don't You wanna write them if it's only a one time thing? This seems pretty silly to me. Maybe they just auto-banned everyone who did this. But doing it once, come on, hardly game breaking. And it's stupid, too. It's not that u duped something or something like that, you just SOLD OVER MARKETVALUE. FFS, I don't want them to ban you for that, I think you should be able to fight your case ;).

#19 Edited by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

Sooooo, what I learnt from this thread is that developers shouldn't ban people who knowingly exploit? Because that won't completely break the game at all...

#20 Posted by Sjupp (1912 posts) -

Couldn't they just remove your illicitly acquired cash and let you be on your way? Having assumed they've fixed it, that is.

#21 Posted by MaFoLu (1859 posts) -

I kinda feel like 52 weeks is kind of a long time for selling an item...

#22 Edited by RIDEBIRD (1233 posts) -

Contact RPS.

This is the most retarded and unfair case of ban from EA I've seen yet. People arguing he's using an exploit - the game is broken, clearly, just hotfix the exploitable issues if it's simple stuff like this. Done.

Glad I'm done with SWTOR, EA bans for more retarded issues then Blizzard, even though Blizzard usually only roll with temp bans for raid exploiting etc. If it was EA who caught Ensidia exploiting on Lich King HC, they would probably find their families, murder them all and publicly display their heads as a show of power - since it's in the TOS.

#23 Posted by Brodehouse (10140 posts) -
@GetEveryone

@Shinryu said:

@EvilTwin said:

@Shinryu said:

A one time thing, although i suppose if you never finished the quest it could be massively abused over a long period of time.

You should contact Rockpapershotgun. They've been covering EAs craz bans for a while now, and anecdotal evidence like this is great. Absolutely outrageous. Just google SW:TOR RPS and fire the author of the article an e-mail saying why you got banned and the resulting action taken against you.

Saying that, the letter (and ban time) are fucking hilarious. 8784 hours? I mean, was that distinction really necessary?

Anecdotal evidence is great?
#24 Edited by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -

@Brodehouse: Apparently anecdotal evidence doesn't have the same connotation I thought it did.

Despite it being evidence... from an anecdote. Curious.

Insert the correct term at your own discretion.

#25 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Is it still impossible to remove your credit card info if you're banned? Because you're kind of fucked then.

#26 Posted by animathias (1194 posts) -

I don't see any part of this thread where he said he didn't abuse an exploit... Sounds to me like he abused the heck out of it, got banned, and is having a good laugh over the email saying "52 weeks." Which I don't know if that's some 4chan meme or something that makes it so funny, but it's a year. Putting it down in weeks is probably a lot easier for their system.

#27 Posted by lophouwa (3 posts) -

How about y'all inform yourself before QQing?

OP did this:

Buy item in stack of 99, split stack and creade 5-6 of said item, so now you have 93, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 . Sell each 1 for the price of 99. Buy back, sell again, buy back, sell again, buy back, sell again.

Rinse and repeat until you have 500 mil. credits in a couple hours.

This was not a one time, accidentally issue. This was a knowingly abused exploit. How do I know? Because I reported this bug after stumbling across it and I didn't exploit it. I'm still in the game.

So, fuck you very much OP!

#29 Posted by lophouwa (3 posts) -

@phoix said:

They've actually started giving out one-week suspensions to the people that found the bug and reported it even after acknowledging those people wouldn't be banned. If you really did stumble across it, you'll probably be getting one of these emails soon.

Then I'll appeal the ban as I've done nothing wrong. And if they fuck me, they'll have 1 less customer. Simple enough. No loss for me here. There's plenty of games to around to play.

So far no ban.

#30 Posted by amir90 (2178 posts) -

@lophouwa said:

OP did this:

Buy item in stack of 99, split stack and creade 5-6 of said item, so now you have 93, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 . Sell each 1 for the price of 99. Buy back, sell again, buy back, sell again, buy back, sell again.

This was not a one time, accidentally issue. This was a knowingly abused exploit. How do I know? Because I reported this bug after stumbling across it and I didn't exploit it. I'm still in the game.

If this is true, then I don't feel sry for the topic maker.

Not that he asked for it thou.

#31 Posted by adoggz (2070 posts) -

I can't believe y'all are taking what this guy is saying at face value.

#32 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

You shouldn't treat customers like that. They pay a monthly fee to support the developers and the servers they play on. Now if this was a public server, this wouldn't be an issue.

#33 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -
@lophouwa said:

OP did this:

Most people think EA has everything to do with... everything bad that happens in one of their published games. So, they gather and bitch about the company just for the sake of it. People have been doing that for a long time, 2003 I think. On the other hand; that'll teach you, TC. I think it's supremely awesome to give 52 weeks of suspension.
#34 Posted by Nephrahim (1157 posts) -

If you exploit in MMOs you deserve your punishment. None of this "If it's in the game it's legit" BS. That's not how MMO's operate, and it never has been.

That said, handing out huge suspensions (52 weeks, lol) and bans less then month before you game comes out, as it's trying to find it's legs, its a TERRIBLE thing to do. Nobody signs up for a game because they hear the people in charge are banning people, and it's just terrible publicity.

#35 Edited by lolwutinthebutt (3 posts) -

I just had to make an account once I read this and saw the replies. The Kid 'OP' deserved this ban. He exploited something knowing what he was doing. He didn't just do it once and say oh wow this a glitchy. He knew what he was getting him self into. Was the ban excessive? maybe. But the point is the op did what he did numerous times to benefit him self with this exploit. Than all of you dumb kiddies are raging because you have no idea what exactly the OP did. He simply just posted his banning mail. Man the internet graces morons with a box to shout from upon. Further more EA probably had nothing to deal with this ban. EA is the publisher, Bioware is the developer. Bioware probably more than likely banned him. That is like saying blizzard doesn't ban you Activision does f activision, Is this site for the mentally challenged?

@Shinryu said:

If you feel you have received this suspension in error, please contact us at swtoraccountdisputes@bioware.com

Dat Ban

look at the email, its @Bioware.com not EA.com GG giantnoobs.

#36 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@adoggz said:

I can't believe y'all are taking what this guy is saying at face value.

It's because everybody would rather find any way possible to hate on EA and this game, so they take everything at face value, don't research anything on what actually happened, and pretend like it's not normal in MMOs to get banned for knowingly doing exploits. This game gets the most unfounded hatred I've ever seen in a game.

#37 Posted by Shinryu (245 posts) -

So much rage here, not saying i shouldn't have got banned just thought the way they phrased it as if it was not a permanent ban was funny. People get so riled up and create their own sub debates that had nothing to do with what i was talking about, it's funny how they phrased the email - thats all i was getting at -_-

#38 Posted by Mesklinite (816 posts) -

You don't ban them, you still want them as a customer. You just say what they did and revert the fact and warn them. These are customers that are possible cash flows. Why ban your cash flow, makes no sense.

#39 Posted by Wacomole (837 posts) -

@Shinryu said:

... just thought the way they phrased it as if it was not a permanent ban was funny.

Erm. A year is not a permanent ban. Unless you believe the whole Mayan Calendar thing.

#40 Posted by Nephrahim (1157 posts) -

If I was banned for a year from an MMO, I'd be done with it unless it was literally setting the world on fire still when I got back in.

Oh, and OP, make sure you don't get charged. There are some horror stories of people with locked accounts still being on their subscription (Not sure if they're verfied, but I'd be careful.)

#41 Posted by Brodehouse (10140 posts) -
@Mesklinite When people find real life exploits (ie: tax fraud and ponzi schemes), the government doesn't just take the money back and say 'now don't you do that again'!

The 'customer is always right' scenario is exactly why a lot of businesses get defrauded. If they know they can get a full refund AND the product they purchased, they'll do it. Now you're out the product, the money, and the time your employees spent. Let me assure you, some customers are NEGATIVE to your cash flow.
#42 Posted by Irvandus (2900 posts) -

@JM12088 said:

Yeah this is kind of just how MMOs are.

#43 Posted by Sitoxity (544 posts) -

I really don't get why people are raging at EA and Bioware for a "broken" game just because people who are exploiting it are getting banned.

It's FAR from broken. So there's been a couple of known bugs that people exploit. Big deal. Did you rage this much when Quick-Scoping in CoD came around?

The game works great, and I've have no game breaking bugs occur. Only minor annoyances which they have been fixing in patches. Have people also forgotten that, funnily enough, coding is hard to fix? There's literally going to be more than millions of lines of code in there. They have to fix one thing while not breaking anything else. That's not just a case of "find and replace" or anything like that. They take their time to fix things and test them before they release it, it just makes sense.

If you knew of this exploit before actually doing it and then received your ban, I have no sympathy for you. You did it to yourself. Also, a year long ban is funny? Makes sense to me. I don't see anything amusing about it in the first place. If you think you were banned unjustly, put a ticket in. There's no way Bioware are stupid enough to ban someone for "accidentally" selling an item to a vendor that costs more than it should. They're bound to keep track of how many times it was sold. It'd be great if people stopped jumping on the hate bandwagon before they hear more than one side of the story, not "LOL IGOT BANNED, WTF?" and then blame Bioware before you even see reasons behind it all.

#44 Posted by NickL (2247 posts) -

I dont understand what is so funny about a 52 week ban I guess.

You do know that 52 weeks is 1 year, right?

#45 Posted by apeman (188 posts) -

Sitoxity says: "It'd be great if people stopped jumping on the hate bandwagon before they hear more than one side of the story, not "LOL IGOT BANNED, WTF?" and then blame Bioware before you even see reasons behind it all."

and it would be great if you had sufficient reading comprehension to understand that's not what this thread is about.

#46 Posted by NickL (2247 posts) -

@phoix said:

@lophouwa said:

OP did this:

They've actually started giving out one-week suspensions to the people that found the bug and reported it even after acknowledging those people wouldn't be banned. If you really did stumble across it, you'll probably be getting one of these emails soon.

They probably had so many cases that they rigged up a system that automatically handed out the bans based on how many times one did it.

That was probably an unintentional side effect.

#47 Edited by jakob187 (21780 posts) -

@Sjupp said:

Couldn't they just remove your illicitly acquired cash and let you be on your way? Having assumed they've fixed it, that is.

They could...but it's probably way more fun to ban someone for 52 weeks (or 8784 hours).

Also, it's not about people KNOWINGLY EXPLOITING. The exploit that this guy got banned for is a bug in the game that BioWare knew about but decided to wait until the 1.1. update on January 17th to fix. In turn, they merely assume that everyone reads forums and knows all this shit.

Sure, if you see an item making the amount of money that the particular item in question makes you, there should be a light that goes off in your head which makes you aware that you probably shouldn't do it. At the same time, banning people because of a bug that you as a developer haven't fixed is fucking stupid. Instead, they could simply revert the amount of currency you have, give you a...like, 24 hour ban...and just walk away.

#48 Posted by Jimbo (10008 posts) -

@lolwutinthebutt said:

I just had to make an account once I read this and saw the replies. The Kid 'OP' deserved this ban. He exploited something knowing what he was doing. He didn't just do it once and say oh wow this a glitchy. He knew what he was getting him self into. Was the ban excessive? maybe. But the point is the op did what he did numerous times to benefit him self with this exploit. Than all of you dumb kiddies are raging because you have no idea what exactly the OP did. He simply just posted his banning mail. Man the internet graces morons with a box to shout from upon. Further more EA probably had nothing to deal with this ban. EA is the publisher, Bioware is the developer. Bioware probably more than likely banned him. That is like saying blizzard doesn't ban you Activision does f activision, Is this site for the mentally challenged?

@Shinryu said:

Dat Ban

look at the email, its @Bioware.com not EA.com GG giantnoobs.

Bioware are EA, dumbass.

#49 Edited by lolwutinthebutt (3 posts) -

@Jimbo:

Do you know what the difference between a developer and a publisher is? EA owns them but, bioware is still separate. they are there own studio.

#50 Posted by Jayzilla (2574 posts) -

The funny part about all the people complaining that it's EA's fault, is that the OP was INTENTIONALLY gaming a broken system to credit dupe. The second you see that happening, you should stop. Period.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.