Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

After level 15, you pay.

• 54 results
    SocietySays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SocietySays

Alright I'm going to try and word this better for the morons/fanboys that don't seem to understand what I was getting at.

Paying for a cd key for a successful game after a free trial is fine. I did it with World Of Warcraft. Paying for a cd key for a game that is going to be f2p in six months is just dumb. Ea is on record saying they are looking into a f2p model. Anyone with a brain knows that the current business plan they have is not working and it is just a matter of time before it goes free to play. Paying a sub fee is understandable but if you need a larger player base then why wouldn't you just let players buy a time card after they hit level 15?

AGAIN! I only feel this way because it is just a matter of time before the whole thing becomes some form of free to play. As Jeff has said, they have sold all the retail copies they are going to. At this point the should take my $15 that I was willing to fork over with a huge smile on their face, as not many people are giving them money.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By demonbear

The fuckers? Really? You're mad at them because they want you to pay the game they took 5 years and hundred of millions of dollars to make?

go back to Halo.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By CL60

>.> you really thought after the free trial they would just give you the game?

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By MariachiMacabre

You must be new to MMOs. WoW does the same thing.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I can't imagine you've dealt with many free trials over the years...

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jack268

I played the demo for Spiderman on the PS1 once, and can you believe what those fuckers asked me to do after that? Buy the game! Madness!

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@Jack268 said:

I played the demo for Spiderman on the PS1 once, and can you believe what those fuckers asked me to do after that? Buy the game! Madness!

It's almost like people want compensation for their work!

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jimbo

Give it a while, it'll get there.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Sayishere

Its not as if the games expensive, this is standard fare. Its not fully free to play, if you like it buy it

But i guess you cant jusitfy the purchase, so i guess thats a no then :P

Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Voxus

I stopped reading after the first comma. Pretty glad I did judging by the responses.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Brendan

I was at Costco, and after a free sample of cheese the fucker wouldn't give me the whole brick of cheese.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By Yummylee

@Brendan said:

I was at Costco, and after a free sample of cheese the fucker wouldn't give me the whole brick of cheese.

Those.... fuckers!

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hatking

Well, everything looks good in here.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Holy shit guys, I downloaded a demo on Xbox Live and it wouldn't let play the whole game!

This is standard MMO procedure, companies want to get a little cash for the game too, a little money so you don't just pay for one month and then get a lot content for a minimal fee.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By ajamafalous

lol

mitsuko_souma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mitsuko_souma

But the OP's point still stands. Crappy MMO's like the old republic should be free to play. I don't know why anyone would buy it.

English

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By English

I have to say that 1-20 was the most enjoyable part of the game for me, when everything still feels fresh. Even if you do like 1-15, it's quite possible you might be bored later on.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Rohok

Yeah we laughed pretty hard. The game was pretty terrible. I can't believe they cancelled SWG for this piece of shit. They put all that money into voice acting and apparently forgot to make the gameplay any good. We stopped before level 15, that's how bad coruscant was. It was literally just WoW in space.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Funkydupe

I bought the game on release. Fool me once...

SocietySays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SocietySays

@demonbear said:

The fuckers? Really? You're mad at them because they want you to pay the game they took 5 years and hundred of millions of dollars to make? go back to Halo.

I have never played halo. But yes, the game has sold all the retail copies it is going to. And if I am to believe the stories being written about it that is not many. If the game was a success and they were not going to go free to play (anyone thinking otherwise has their head up their ass) then I would gladly buy a copy of the game. However it will be going free to play so I'm not going to buy something that in a year or so I will be able to download for free. Like I said I had no problem paying the monthly sub to play the game, I would also have no problem buying any expansions. But the main game should not cost me anything at this point, even if it is only $40-50.

At $16 a month EA could have made the $40 in 2 1/2 months. Since I enjoyed the game I imagine I would have stuck with the game for a year or so. Money they lost out on and probably continue to lose out on by others who feel the same way.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By Dagbiker

@KrypticKiller: Yah, fuck them for wanting me to actually buy the game

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CL60
    @KrypticKiller

@demonbear said:

The fuckers? Really? You're mad at them because they want you to pay the game they took 5 years and hundred of millions of dollars to make? go back to Halo.

I have never played halo. But yes, the game has sold all the retail copies it is going to. And if I am to believe the stories being written about it that is not many. If the game was a success and they were not going to go free to play (anyone thinking otherwise has their head up their ass) then I would gladly buy a copy of the game. However it will be going free to play so I'm not going to buy something that in a year or so I will be able to download for free. Like I said I had no problem paying the monthly sub to play the game, I would also have no problem buying any expansions. But the main game should not cost me anything at this point, even if it is only $40-50.

At $16 a month EA could have made the $40 in 2 1/2 months. Since I enjoyed the game I imagine I would have stuck with the game for a year or so. Money they lost out on and probably continue to lose out on by others who feel the same way.

SWTOR sold a lot of copies actually.
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By demonbear

Last I checked, WoW is not free to play and its doing quite fine. Every kid now wants free to play mmos. I, for one, think its bullshit. I'd rather pay per month and get the whole game, than have a glorified demo. And that's EA's choice to choose whatever format they want for their mmo. That does not make them "fuckers" for that. You want a F2P mmo? Go elsewhere. Thank you.

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jrad

I've definitely played quite a few MMOs that let you subscribe without actually buying the game. SWG, Eve Online (well, they charge $19.95 for the first month), City of Heroes, I think Auto Assault, and Dark Age of Camelot. Obviously TOR is still trying to make as much money on sales before they inevitably go F2P, but it's not unusual for MMOs to let you convert your trial account to a subscription account without buying a CD key.

Soffish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Soffish

I haven't had much experience with this, but I think a lot of the time when a pay-to-play mmo goes free-to-play the people who purchased the game get in-game benefits of some sort. So if you enjoyed Swtor, buying a copy of Swtor might not be such a bad idea.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Subjugation

@KrypticKiller said:

I knew it was a trial and that after level 15 I was going to have to pay something to continue to play. I reached 15 in no time and was sent to their site where the fuckers actually wanted me to buy the game, not just a time card. I literally laughed.

Laughed? Because you didn't understand how a trial works? How you came to the conclusion that you would be able to skip purchasing the game and just buy a time card is beyond me. It isn't F2P and you knew that.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MikeGosot

I think i'm going to win the bet. Please be F2P 'till December, please.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SlightConfuse

Sounds like the op has never played a demo for anything

SocietySays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SocietySays

A lot of morons on here. You can not compare this game to WOW. I play wow, it is not going to be a f2p game so it makes sense buying the retail disc after you reach level 20. Star wars is going to be free at some point, so them trying to get me to buy the disc is just fucking stupid. They should take any money they can get. My 200+ dollars on a monthly sub is better then the amount they currently get from me.@Jrad said:

I've definitely played quite a few MMOs that let you subscribe without actually buying the game. SWG, Eve Online (well, they charge $19.95 for the first month), City of Heroes, I think Auto Assault, and Dark Age of Camelot. Obviously TOR is still trying to make as much money on sales before they inevitably go F2P, but it's not unusual for MMOs to let you convert your trial account to a subscription account without buying a CD key.

Apparently you and I are the only ones who have done this before. That or I just pissed off the Star Wars nerds.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @KrypticKiller

A lot of morons on here. You can not compare this game to WOW. I play wow, it is not going to be a f2p game so it makes sense buying the retail disc after you reach level 20. Star wars is going to be free at some point, so them trying to get me to buy the disc is just fucking stupid. They should take any money they can get. My 200+ dollars on a monthly sub is better then the amount they currently get from me.@Jrad said:

Apparently you and I are the only ones who have done this before. That or I just pissed off the Star Wars nerds.

This post just oozes "troll". Of course you can compare TOR and WoW. Their payment methods are identical. You saying " yeah but guiz eventually TOR is gonna be F2P" does not make it fact and does not entitle you to anything. WoW is F2P to level 20 and that'll probably increase eventually. And before you throw "Star Wars Fanboy" at me, I don't even own TOR and was an avid WoW player from beta to August of 2011.
    BrainSonata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BrainSonata

Guild Wars 2.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By kindgineer

You are obviously new to the genre and I'm sorry, but of course they expect you to pay for the box before the subscription. Why would they sell a retail/digital key when you could just bypass that with a "free trial." You are paying for a piece of software that took years to make as well as thousands to keep running. I don't see the error in the companies ways besides pleasing a small group of people who expect way too much.

EDIT: After reading a little more in depth, you sound like a someone who was introduced to this type of game with the F2P market and now feel entitled to only paying a subscription fee after a "trial." Sorry, but SWTOR, as much as you don't want to see it, is a AAA MMORPG like World of Warcraft & Secret World, making them a worthy investment for a box + subscription. We aren't talking about SWG, DAOC, Fallen Earth, or any other archaic straight to F2P MMO's here. Just because a game was announced to go F2P at some point does not give you the entitlement to believe buying a box is ridiculous. The game isn't free-to-play yet, so either enjoy the game by buying a box or going on your way without spilling your ignorance on an internet forum.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Baillie

@KrypticKiller said:

So I'm not a big MMO guy... A lot of morons on here. You can not compare this game to WOW. I play wow..

Interesting.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By toowalrus

I read your thread, and literally laughed. At you. Personally.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KrypticKiller said:

You guys aren't alone, I immediately understood what you were getting at. I think its pretty dumb that they really expect you to buy a retail disc for a floundering MMO. I'm sure you aren't the first person that they've scared off.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By penguindust

@ajamafalous said:

lol

This made me giggle. Perfection.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By DoctorWelch

Well that's good to know, I actually just downloaded the client and was going to play it, but now I don't think I will. If they're at the point where they are giving you a free 15 levels, then they need to stop actually charging for a copy of the game. That, or like Jeff said, you need to get at least three or four months free when buying the game.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By DocHaus

Wait until winter and they make it F2P. Problem solved.

tonnous24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tonnous24

@demonbear said:

I agree. What he said is stupid, but what you said is equally as dumb. I HATE when people use a game to try to condescend someone.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By daiphyer

How dare they ask you to buy their game! Fuck those guys!

Avatar image for white_silhouette
    White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By White_Silhouette

@BrainSonata said:

Guild Wars 2.

Wait so you don't have to purchase a copy of Guild Wars 2? Awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@White_Silhouette said:

@BrainSonata said:

Guild Wars 2.

They want you to buy a copy of Guild Wars 2? Those fuckers!

Avatar image for white_silhouette
    White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By White_Silhouette

@Brodehouse said:

@White_Silhouette said:

@BrainSonata said:

Guild Wars 2.

They want you to buy a copy of Guild Wars 2? Those fuckers!

I know. I got the same raw deal when I bought I car. Not only did I have to pay for the car. I have to pay each month for insurance... and gas... Those fuckers!

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By Shady

Are they still asking for MSRP for the digital download? I'd have thought they would lower the price by now since the subscription fee is still $15/month. I'm not sure what EA's game plan is, but the next couple of months will be hard for TOR with Guild Wars 2 and the WoW expansion coming out.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By l4wd0g

@demonbear said:

Hey, don't brand Halo players that way!

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By niamahai

@Shady said:

Are they still asking for MSRP for the digital download? I'd have thought they would lower the price by now since the subscription fee is still $15/month. I'm not sure what EA's game plan is, but the next couple of months will be hard for TOR with Guild Wars 2 and the WoW expansion coming out.

nah they will survive just fine imo. Cause, y'know, dem fuckers.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By Marz

yeah... it's a trial, of course you need to buy a copy of the game. Why is this a thread again? It's not like you can just download WoW and pay the subscription, you still need to buy the base game and all expansions (usually in a discounted bundle) but not for free. There's no shady business that SWTOR is doing here.

SocietySays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SocietySays

@Marz said:

yeah... it's a trial, of course you need to buy a copy of the game. Why is this a thread again? It's not like you can just download WoW and pay the subscription, you still need to buy the base game and all expansions (usually in a discounted bundle) but not for free. There's no shady business that SWTOR is doing here.

Wow is never going to be f2p (at least not within the next 10 years) So it makes sense they still want you to buy the retail game(s) star wars is struggling and will either go f2p or just close down shop. So should they not take any money people are willing to give them? (Through sub fees)

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @KrypticKiller said:

@Marz said:

Wow is never going to be f2p (at least not within the next 10 years) So it makes sense they still want you to buy the retail game(s) star wars is struggling and will either go f2p or just close down shop. So should they not take any money people are willing to give them? (Through sub fees)

So just because the game MIGHT go free to play you want it free now? 
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50  Edited By mosdl

@KrypticKiller: So just wait for it to go f2p, or just play WoW. Complaining here won't change anything.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.