Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Am I the only one that thinks SWTOR looks like crap?

• 81 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/video-documentary-3

This reminds me of Halo where everyones going crazy about it and I just don't get it. I find this one really annoying though because I grew up with the original movies and they were great apart from the Ewoks and lame Stormtroopers. I just remember seeing the new movies and they ruined my love for Star Wars because they ruined everything. However over time it feels like that hate has turned into love as the kids who grew up with them movies love them and still love anything Star Wars. I just wanna punch them in frustration because I don't understand how anyone can like the new stupid shit. It's not Star Wars, the original movies are Star Wars but the new crap is just an abomination.

Now I never liked KoToR because the combat system instantly put me off, so I never played more than five mins. So what attracted me to SWTOR was not the fact that it was from Bioware (because I never liked a game from them cause their combat is always horrible) but the fact that there hasn't been a good MMO since 2004 and I havn't played one since 2005. Now being Star Wars was just a bonous because I loved SWG Pre CU as it captured being in the Star Wars Universe to me, where you could do whatever you wanted and have like a virtual life. Then as like everything else Star Wars it got ruined.

I just see this video and FUCK SAKE it looks like crap!

It doesn't look like Star Wars but more like a cheap kids toy and it doesn't even have a good art style that carrys over from the concept art. Seeing the game in motion with the UI and everything it just looks so colorful and bright. Star wars is meant to be gritty and mature and this just looks like they needed to dumb it down for the console tards or something. You know when an amazing franchise like Rainbow Six 1 - 3 goes from realistic to arcadey with Vegas.

Whats up with the animations? Whats up with the plastic emo hair? The combat looks too animation heavy like KoToR which means you'll be standing still with autofacing which means PVP will be an after thought. Whats up with the proportions of the character models? It looks like they got the limbs of a Spider and stuck them on a human.

Also why are they putting so much focus on Single Player in an MMO? The ONLY reason i play an MMO is to group up and play with other people. If I'm playing World of Warcraft on my own, I'm bored as hell because it's just no fun on your own. You wanna play an MMO with lots of other people because otherwise why call it an MMO? Might aswel be called a Semi online RPG otherwise. You don't login to a WoW or an EVE or a WAR to solo the whole game because that would be boring as hell. The best times i've ever had in an MMO is with lots of other players because thats what makes them fun.

I just think it looks so bad and yet everyone else is praising it and it's like WTF? If the game comes out and it's great then I'll be happy but everything I've seen so far it just looks like my five year wait for a good mmorpg to be released will carry on.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By EvilTwin

Here's a great posting tip.  Never, ever, start a thread with "Am I the only one...?"  No, you aren't.  I don't even care what you're going to ask, the answer is no.

Edit:  On the subject of the Old Republic.  As much as I love Bioware, I have no faith in their MMO.  I don't think they "get" MMOs.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @PapaLazarou:

Rant much?
    CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By CowMuffins
    @PapaLazarou: Guess what? Cartoon graphics last longer than realistic ones. Compare Banjo Kazooie to Goldeneye, which one looks better? Banjo obviously because the cartoon look is timeless, and that's what you want with an mmo. If you had realistic characters with low polies, in a couple of years it's not going to look good.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Other thing about Cartoon graphics is when you do that, it suddenly becomes more accessible to a wider audience. There's cartoons made for kids (Spongebob) and there's cartoons made for adults (Family Guy, The Simpsons etc.) But at the end of the day they are all still cartoons.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By ArchScabby
    @EvilTwin said:
    " Here's a great posting tip.  Never, ever, start a thread with "Am I the only one...?"  No, you aren't.  I don't even care what you're going to ask, the answer is no.Edit:  On the subject of the Old Republic.  As much as I love Bioware, I have no faith in their MMO.  I don't think they "get" MMOs. "
    well since basically every MMO in history has sucked, maybe with them not "getting" it they will actually make a good one.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EvilTwin
    @ArchScabby said:
    " @EvilTwin said:
    " Here's a great posting tip.  Never, ever, start a thread with "Am I the only one...?"  No, you aren't.  I don't even care what you're going to ask, the answer is no.Edit:  On the subject of the Old Republic.  As much as I love Bioware, I have no faith in their MMO.  I don't think they "get" MMOs. "
    well since basically every MMO in history has sucked, maybe with them not "getting" it they will actually make a good one. "
    I disagree.  I just think that the people who like MMOs are not necessarily the people who like the more classic type of games.  Just like people who like single-player games are not always the same people who like online competitive multi-player games. 
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By turbomonkey138

No Caption Provided
    In all seriousness i dont like the way you make threads . You always use the same kind of titles and your posts are full of rants . Your allowed a opinion but please keep it to yourself if you are posting in this manner
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @turbomonkey138:

That pic is awsome :P

Ontopic, I actualy think they are going to make a great game here. I dont like star wars in the least but the Kotor games were fun for me. I started out thinking this game would be crap but everytime I see something new on it, it groes on me.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By turbomonkey138

I have been in love with KOTOR since i played it on the xbox . Amazing games . So i foresee great things from this project .

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Jayge_

These threads are stellar.

sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sgjackson

Excuse me, I have a safehouse to shoot up. Ahahahahahahahahahahaha

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By 71Ranchero

The running joke around here is that I get teased when I play the Kotor games. There have been times when I was talked down from throwing the one dvd I have of a SW(one of the newer movies) movie into the street :P That said, the fact that Kotor was able to make me enjoy such a silly concept(to me) is amazing and goes to show that the game itself is good enough. If This mmo is atleast on par with Kotor I will be playing it. Im sure my buddies will get a kick out of me leveling a SW toon in an MMO =)

sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sgjackson

Having now watched the whole video, I want to know what class the main character in the video is because I laughed my fucking ass off at EVERY SINGLE ONE OF HIS LINES. Star Wars with a cheesy 80s action hero as the star is amazing, and I want more.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By penguindust
    I just wanna punch them in frustration...
    the new crap is just an abomination.
    Now I never liked KoToR...
    it was from Bioware (because I never liked a game from them...
    here hasn't been a good MMO since 2004....
    like everything else Star Wars it got ruined.
    this video and FUCK SAKE it looks like crap!
    doesn't look like Star Wars but more like a cheap kids toy...
    needed to dumb it down for the console tards...

You've got a lot of negativity brewing in you it seems.  If you didn't like KOTOR or Bioware what on Earth lead you to believe that SWTOR would be the game tailored specifically to your desires?  I like the direction they are taking the franchise.  I've enjoyed some of the extended universe fictions including the setting of the Old Republic.  The graphics are being designed so that middle-of-the-road computers can run the game.  Not everyone has the latest and greatest hardware inside their desktops.  Additionally, games with more stylized graphics have longer lifespans than games which take the total realism route.  What looks cutting edge today won't a year from now, and a couple of years down the line will look drab and dated.  MMOs need time to fully realize their potential, but if they appear to look well worn before they make it to that point then they are unlikely to attact new users.  Additionally, nothing says that they are ignoring the multiplayer aspects of the game, all that has been highlighted is that the game will try and involve players in new ways by personalizing the quests so that the game has the depth of a single player game.  In Warcraft, after a while, no one even bothers reading the quests.  They just scan for how many items need to be collected or how many mobs need to be killed.  Bioware is trying to interject some motivation for players to care about the world and the direction that it's taking, not just gearing up for the biggest endgame raids.  These are new ideas and maybe they'll work well or maybe they won't appeal at all to the standard "gimme loot" player.  That remains to be seen, but if all you want is a rehash of Star Wars Galaxies-prior to the overhaul, then you are going to be disappointed because that idea has been tried already and did not succeed to the level that LucasArts demanded. 

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @CowMuffins said:
    "@PapaLazarou: Guess what? Cartoon graphics last longer than realistic ones. Compare Banjo Kazooie to Goldeneye, which one looks better? Banjo obviously because the cartoon look is timeless, and that's what you want with an mmo. If you had realistic characters with low polies, in a couple of years it's not going to look good."

?

I still think Goldeneye looks better but w/e

Anyway, I personally don't think it looks all that bad, and i'm a chronic star wars hater. They have to go with a certain style in order to appeal to the masses, it has nothing to do with how long the graphics will hold up for, after all they can be overhauled anytime with an MMO, look at WoW it's had several upgrades. But yeah, it enables the game to look nicer on lower end machines, and appeals to a wider audience.
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Don't buy it?

Lucidforest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By Lucidforest

You never liked KOTOR

You never liked Bioware

You expected to like SWTOR...riiiiight.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By maxszy

It may not be the "BEST" looking game, but considering its an MMO they aren't going to go for super realism because it wouldn't reach the audience they are hoping to reach.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By jakob187

Bioware hasn't really made a bad game yet, right?  Even that Sonic RPG was pretty decent...especially when compared to Sonic's other fodder from the last...I don't know...DECADE!

Me and a co-worker have been talking about this a lot lately, and the more we talk about it, the more psyched we get.  What's crazy is he's never had any ambition to play MMO games, but because of our love for all things Star Wars, and the fact that we KNOW the things that Bioware has done...it just seems like they can't do wrong with this.  Now that they have reigning control over Mythic, I'm sure they'll learn an extra thing or two about making this one hell of a quality game.

I just really hope people don't start trying to use the term "WoW-killer" with it.  Let TOR be its own entity in the MMO space.  Nothing can be a WoW-killer, and we all know that.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Scooper

What is there to complain about. Someone's actualy having a good go at doing something we haven't seen alot of before and instantly they get bashed. What, you want another SWG? Ok, well play that then because all you've done is ranted about how you don't like TOR.

I think it looks great. Serious, gritty games always look shit and boring after a couple years and because of it less people will continue to join and play, if you have a cartoony style it lasts many many years longer as people will continue to be drawn to it. Also, just because it looks cartoony doesn't mean it can't have a serious story or locations, you've just got to put yourself in that universe and then you can take it as seriously as you like.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Cerza

When I first saw TOR my immediate reaction was "it's WOW in space." However, I got to thinking that visually the game looks alright and this Bioware. They make great stuff! So maybe this won't be WOW in space and maybe this won't be another MMO built on the tried and true and now tired formula we have had for the last decade and then I started to get excited. Then EA merged the Mythic guys in to "assist with development" and all hope and enthusiasm I had for the game died.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By warxsnake

SWTOR could have looked like LOTRO all nice and shiny with DX10 effects and high resolution textures, but with the amount of content you will be getting from swtor, that version of the game would have to sell with a bundled harddrive

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By CL60

We seen a few seconds of gameplay footage...and what are you talking about dumb it down for console tards? It's not even coming out on consoles.  And it's clear to me you don't even like MMOs or the combat that goes with MMOs, so why even post? All of your "complaints" are just ridiculous.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CL60
    @PenguinDust said:
    Additionally, nothing says that they are ignoring the multiplayer aspects of the game, all that has been highlighted is that the game will try and involve players in new ways by personalizing the quests so that the game has the depth of a single player game.  In Warcraft, after a while, no one even bothers reading the quests.  They just scan for how many items need to be collected or how many mobs need to be killed.  Bioware is trying to interject some motivation for players to care about the world and the direction that it's taking, not just gearing up for the biggest endgame raids.
    Also this.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I'm not a huge fan of the graphic style, but it looks OK.  Better than most MMO's, at least.

They seem to be going for a different style of MMO in terms of gameplay though, and that's what attracts me to it.  Instead of it being a generic WoW type affair, it plays like a single player game for the most part, but at key moments you'll be able to group together with other players for large scale battles, etc.  I believe the way they described it was like in Episode V.  All the main characters are around at the begining for the battle at Hoth, but after that they all split off and have their own seperate stories..  Luke goes off to Dagobah, etc, etc.

The only thing that worries me about it, would be the monthly fee.  I don't particularly fancy the idea of having to pay so much each month for just one game, no matter how good it is.  It seems a lot of these upcomming MMO's are trying new kinds of payment methods though, and it seems Old Republic will too...  So I'm definitely interested, but at $15 a month, no thanks.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PureRok
    @PapaLazarou: To be fair, the original trilogy sucked too.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By Meowayne
    Whats up with the animations? Whats up with the plastic emo hair? The combat looks too animation heavy like KoToR which means you'll be standing still with autofacing which means PVP will be an after thought. Whats up with the proportions of the character models? It looks like they got the limbs of a Spider and stuck them on a human.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @RiotBananas said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    " Other thing about Cartoon graphics is when you do that, it suddenly becomes more accessible to a wider audience. There's cartoons made for kids (Spongebob) and there's cartoons made for adults (Family Guy, The Simpsons etc.) But at the end of the day they are all still cartoons. "
    The Simpsons is NOT for adults. ¬_¬"
    Oh please, do you really think a child would understand the humor in "The Simpsons"? Plus, do you think a good parent would let their child watch a show that has violence and profanity in it?
    tamerxero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By tamerxero

Why is it whenever someone talks about this game's graphics, they go into how it's all "childish" and "kiddie cartoons" and how they think Star Wars should be "mature and gritty?"  Star Wars has always been about reaching people of all ages, from different cultures.  That, and this game takes place in a time before the universe got what you considered to be "gritty" (although, I have to say, gritty looks pretty colorful from a Star Wars perspective, then).

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jmrwacko

I don't like the fact that they're watering down the graphics to WoW-style blocky cartoons just so that it runs better on older machines. It's 2010, there's no excuse to be gaming on anything less than a dual core processor or a GeForce 200 or better series GPU.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Meowshi
    @jmrwacko said:
    " I don't like the fact that they're watering down the graphics to WoW-style blocky cartoons just so that it runs better on older machines. It's 2010, there's no excuse to be gaming on anything less than a dual core processor or a GeForce 200 or better series GPU. "
    That's a good attitude to have it you aren't looking to have a successful game. 
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By Marz

Stylistic is fine, also it helps with performance.  Would you rather play something that runs smooth or something that your computer can't run on a daily basis?

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dudes, why did you necro this rant thread?

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jimbo

As rants go, it was pretty good.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By frankfartmouth

Boy, you seem like you might be way too picky. Yes, KOTOR's combat was a bit janky, and yes, SWTOR doesn't look like it has the best graphics on earth (it is an MMO, which are always turned down a bit visually), but for Christ's sake, focus on some of the positive. Personally, I don't see how you can possibly be such a die-hard, purist Star Wars fanatic and hate KOTOR. That game was great for anyone, but for a Star Wars nerd, it was uncut, unadulterated bliss. Yeah, it had some technical issues, some physics bugs, and the combat could get a bit sloppy at times, but I think the time has long since come when games need to be looked at as more than just pieces of tech. They're not DVD-ripping software, they're multi-tiered, interactive experiences with the potential to compel, convey, and elicit the full veil of artistic experience. KOTOR's issues weren't nearly bad enough to detract from the overall quality of the game. Plus, if you're jonesing for a Star Wars fix, there you go. I thought the story in KOTOR was easily better than any of the prequels and on par with the originals (not quite as good, but worthy).  Give these games a chance, man.

HeliumSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HeliumSpoon

ARGGGGG!!!!!!!! ME FAN BOY UGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! NO TALK BAD ABOUT SWTOR!!!!! I USE CAPS LOCK TO CONVEY ANGER.
    DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DeviantJoker
    @S0ndor said:
    " Dudes, why did you necro this rant thread? "
    So people like this... 
    @ForestWarrier
    said:
    " ARGGGGG!!!!!!!! ME FAN BOY UGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! NO TALK BAD ABOUT SWTOR!!!!! I USE CAPS LOCK TO CONVEY ANGER. "
    .... could add their much in-depth addition to this worthy conversation.
    Gre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Gre

Once I saw that lightsabers don't cut people in half, I decided that game wasn't for me.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By NTM

I like reading... I didn't care to read your thread though. The first few sentences sounded horrible. Just type as if you were talking to someone in person, and know how to use punctuation (although I'm not perfect). Still though, I'm just going get off this thread here... Oh, one more thing. Instead of wondering if you're the only one who thinks that game is crap, think "Does my opinion really matter to anyone enough to write all this down?" because usually when it comes to one person saying they don’t like a game that another does, what’s written won’t appeal since it won’t change their opinion towards the game, or what have you.    

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By NTM

I like reading... I didn't care to read your thread though. The first few sentences sounded horrible. Just type as if you were talking to someone in person, and know how to use punctuation (although I'm not perfect). Still though, I'm just going get off this thread here... Oh, one more thing. Instead of wondering if you're the only one who thinks that game is crap, think "Does my opinion really matter to anyone enough to write all this down?" because usually when it comes to one person saying they don’t like a game that another does, what’s written won’t appeal since it won’t change their opinion towards the game, or what have you.    

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By pwnasaurus
    @PapaLazarou:
    you have a 1.6 elite as your avatar i find this thread ironic
    Avatar image for nikoalexander57
    NikoAlexander57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By NikoAlexander57

I enjoy the art style for its simplicity. In a game the graphics are an added bonus but it all boils down to gameplay and story, especially in this case.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46  Edited By veektarius
    @RiotBananas:  If you're not a troll, you really need to have a beer and chill and think about whether you're really in any position to say authoritatively what is and what is not funny for a given age group, particularly when you didn't find it funny at any age. 

IRT topic, everyone else is right that the fact you had any hopes for this game given your predispositions is preposterous.  However, I will back you up more than most of those here by saying that I, too, am really turned off by the graphics.  Has anyone here played LoTRO recently?  That game looked amazing when it came out and still looks good today -better, I might add, than it looks like TOR will look when it comes out in 2011, four years later.  We are past the stage in video game graphics where good art design will ever look outright bad, I think - you don't need to dumb it down ala WoW, and I think ToR goes too far in this direction too.  Every time I've seen game footage, the graphics have been something I've had to overlook, and if you're posting here apologizing for them, I think you should take a minute and ask if it's really necessary that you should have to. 

Let's think about the economics of this for a moment.  No one's saying they should try to run this on the Crysis engine, and most new PC games still run reasonably well on four year old 8 series cards.  So we aren't talking about restricting subscriptions to hardcore PC gaming enthusiasts.  But of course, there's the ultracasual MMO players, the stay at home moms and girlfriends and what have you who aren't really into other games.  Here's the bad news - these people are the least likely to leave WoW *whatever* you do with hardware requirements and graphics.  It's the people who actually play a lot of games who are most open to switching from one to another, as they've done it before.   

Now if you're cool with the look of ToR and don't see what the hell I'm bitching about, I'm not going to convince you otherwise - I've always had less appreciation for exaggerated art styles than the average man.  But the vibe I'm getting from a lot of posts is, "Yeah it  looks bad, but I like Bioware and Star Wars so I'm going to try to ignore that."
    SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By SSbabel

Look's like any other MMO, but with exception of being star wars which automatically makes it better.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CL60
    @SSbabel said:

" Look's like any other MMO, but with exception of being star wars which automatically makes it better. "

Point me in the direction of an MMO that has good and evil meters, full dialogue and voices for both single player and party play for every NPC. Please. Do it.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#49  Edited By Jeust
    @CL60 said:
    " @SSbabel said:
    " Look's like any other MMO, but with exception of being star wars which automatically makes it better. "
    Point me in the direction of an MMO that has good and evil meters, full dialogue for both single player and party play for every NPC. Please. Do it. "
    Yep, still wait for the final product because sometimes what they announce isn't what makes it to the final cut. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

KOTOR MMO? Terrible. Never need bother looking at this again. Moving on.

<---- This dude's attitude upon hearing about this game

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.