Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Anti-Aliasing, Steam

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#1  Edited By alistercat

I noticed that the anti-aliasing option from the beta (which wasn't active anyway) has been removed. Speculation aside, this game is so aliased that I would really appreciate some form of anti-aliasing. I have tried forcing it through the Nvidia control panel, but with no luck at all. Has anyone else been successful in getting some form of anti-aliasing? I've never seen a game this aliased before on my PC, it's strange.

Also, I'd like to know if anyone has been successful in using the steam overlay. Adding the launcher only enables it for the launcher, and adding it to the exe does nothing since you cant launch the game without going through the launcher. Google has not been any help for either of these problems.

Other than that I'm having a good time so far.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ravenlight

I don't know anything about forcing AA but I can tell you that the Steam overlay just flat out does not work with some games.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By project343

You can manually enable AA by modifying the .ini file. Can't answer the Steam question, not in the game yet (sigh). :(

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Zelyre

In beta, I could force AA through AMD's catalyst control center. Also, trying to enable AA in the config didn't seem to work, at least not for me in beta. :\

The performance hit on TOR with AA is staggering, though. I have no reason why. It shouldn't take a 460/6870 to maintain 60fps @1080p w/ 4xAA.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By alistercat

@project343 said:

You can manually enable AA by modifying the .ini file. Can't answer the Steam question, not in the game yet (sigh). :(

I looked at the ini files in local app data, but since AA has been removed from retail I am guessing that's why I didn't see the option. What is the code I need to put in there?

@Zelyre said:

In beta, I could force AA through AMD's catalyst control center. Also, trying to enable AA in the config didn't seem to work.

The performance hit on TOR with AA is staggering, though. I have no reason why. It shouldn't take a 460/6870 to maintain 60fps @1080p w/ 4xAA.

I have Nvidia, and that isn't working. I also have GTX460s in SLI so I could dedicate one card just to AA but enabling it didn't do anything.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

The steam overlay often won't work with games that use a launcher, unless you can separately launch the game executable without going via the launcher. As far as I'm aware, there isn't a way around that problem.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Samaritan

@AlisterCat said:

@project343 said:

I looked at the ini files in local app data, but since AA has been removed from retail I am guessing that's why I didn't see the option. What is the code I need to put in there?

@Zelyre said:

In beta, I could force AA through AMD's catalyst control center. Also, trying to enable AA in the config didn't seem to work.

I have Nvidia, and that isn't working. I also have GTX460s in SLI so I could dedicate one card just to AA but enabling it didn't do anything.

This is a good resource for the types of .ini tweaks that can be achieved. Most of these have to be added to the .ini file, but I can vouch for them all working, including AA. Though anything over 2x doesn't seem to make any difference visually.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/951199-star-wars-the-old-republic/61343050

Also, it's not really clear in that Gamefaqs post but the file you need is under the following path:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings

It's the "client_settings.ini" file you want to edit. Don't forget to back it up! Also, be sure to set the file as "Read Only" once you've finished editing it, otherwise SWTOR will just revert any changes you make to it.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By alistercat

@Captain_Felafel: Thanks, that totally worked. Except it absolutely kills my performance and make the game unplayable. Why though? It's only a tiny bit of AA.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Samaritan

@AlisterCat said:

@Captain_Felafel: Thanks, that totally worked. Except it absolutely kills my performance and make the game unplayable. Why though? It's only a tiny bit of AA.

Poor optimization, I'm sure. I have a beast of a rig and I still noticed a performance hit when I turned on AA. Still though, it's better than not so I'll take the hit.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By alistercat

@Captain_Felafel said:

@AlisterCat said:

Poor optimization, I'm sure. I have a beast of a rig and I still noticed a performance hit when I turned on AA. Still though, it's better than not so I'll take the hit.

I have a 'beast', except for my mid range GPU and it's sub 20 frames most of the time. Oh well. I'll wait until they officially add the feature I guess. Much rather have it running smoothly.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Samaritan

@AlisterCat said:

@Captain_Felafel said:

@AlisterCat said:

I have a 'beast', except for my mid range GPU and it's sub 20 frames most of the time. Oh well. I'll wait until they officially add the feature I guess. Much rather have it running smoothly.

There's a lot they still need to add to that game, AA not withstanding. A more reliable method of streaming in textures, foliage and character models comes to mind.

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Omega
    @MattyFTM said:

The steam overlay often won't work with games that use a launcher, unless you can separately launch the game executable without going via the launcher. As far as I'm aware, there isn't a way around that problem.

Oh, that explains why The Witcher 2 doesn't have the overlay. I always wondered why it never worked.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.