Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Anybody Pre-Ordering SWTOR Exp. - Rise of the Hutt Cartel?

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Just wondering A. if there are still any Giant Bomb people still playing this regularly and B. if anyone is shelling out the 10 or 20 dollar fee when this comes out this Spring. Jumped back in after a year lay off and there are still people playing but it seems like once you finish the main story there really isn't much else to do. Also the f2P model has blocked a lot of things under a fee, medical probes? You have to pay for medical probes...

No Caption Provided

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ajamafalous

I really liked the game when it first game out but I couldn't justify paying for multiple MMOs. I jumped back in when it went F2P, but you're right, the sheer amount of near-vital things that they put behind the paywall is astounding and really soured me on the game as a whole.

Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I know this would sound weird, but they would need an expansion pack a little bit more...ambitious to get me back in. Blizzard's expansions, even though they're $40 every time, seems to make their releases such a fanfare that I pick it back up and go for another round.

I've noticed that a lot this generation. The DLC is so small and inconsequential that it's easier for me not to pay attention, forget, or all around think something may not be an experience interesting enough to warrant the download.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By jdh5153

Hell no. The game is trash

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still can't believe that they managed to create such an anti-social Star Wars MMO, and the F2P experience is terrible. How many times have they merged servers now? I've lost all of my character names even my higher level ones from around release when I played the game I had paid full price for; now they stamp me as a 'preferred' player as that is supposed to make me feel welcome. I've tried to come back 7 times and only ended up playing around 30 minutes before I've changed my mind about it. The Star Wars MMO aspect, in concept, has a huge pull, but they actually manage to make you feel detached from pretty much everyone and everything right from the start making you a clone running a pre-set maze of nonsense quests right from the beginning. The missions/quests feel exactly the same 5 minutes in as they do at level 25+.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Nictel

No. Seeing as the game is not worth paying for and they have just about done everything wrong for the F2P. "These quest rewards? No you need to pay before you get these."

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By triple07

I'm playing it. Me and a friend got into it recently so I'm not done with the story yet so I'm not going to preorder but I will probably buy it later if its good.

Ennosuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought this Game at the release, 2 years ago, but until today I haven´t reached level 50. I like the Story of my main character, so I tried because of the double exp weekend to level him up, but after one level I was so bored because it is always the same kind of quest you have to do ....

So I will not buy the addon. I like Star Wars very much and I had so much fun with Star Wars Galaxies, but SW: ToR is boring ....

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ennosuke: It is extra boring because there is no incentive nor effort put into people going on adventures together and no mechanic in place for a group consisting of more than 1 player playing a specific class. Your story is your character's story and saga, not the story and saga of experiences shared between friends or other players. Sure, there are some group quests and specific group content like the Flash-points but you do those in a flash and then it is back to the lonesome road with your mute clone of a companion. Sure, you can join your friend's Story moments, but doing it feels meaningless and the cutscenes go on like your friend isn't even there + it spoils your Class story for whoever joins you unless they've done that segment of story before so people are reluctant to tag along; naturally because there is no point at all only negatives. If they don't join you, they can progress in their own story.

I think players get fatigued in some way by all the dialogue when they know that the stuff they need to do once the endless chatter is over is going to be very similar to what you've been doing for the last 20 hours. The stories are there. The gameplay lets them down more often than not and that pattern reveals itself very soon when you start playing SWTOR. Most MMO players carry the experience and baggage of having played multiple MMOs and while the game looks good in my opinion it becomes all too familiar; and with the content, ui, communication, group content limitations and quest reward restrictions and so forth it isn't fun. When you subscribe the game gets these things, but then you understand that the core of the game is the same and you get burnt out either way.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did. Subscriber since June and still like it.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

For those unsure about ordering this and you aren't at the level 50 cap yet for the past two weeks and the next two weeks SWTOR is doing a double xp weekend. Really great way for those like me who don't want to pay a subscription and slumber through the combat just to enjoy the story. Played around 4 hours so far and went up 2-3 levels.

DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was actually about to preorder it this evening...but then I found out that to play it tomorrow, I would have had to order by January 7th. So, no preorder for me - I don't care about the title/pet/statue (got others already when I last played that I liked)...and waiting 'till the 14th is probably going to make my interest die down again as I get distracted by other games/work. Strange decision by EA to have a head start on an expansion pack...especially a head start with a couple month cut off.

fleshribbon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By fleshribbon

I pre-ordered back in December I think and have been loving it. You get a ton of extra content for just that $10. There is a ton of new end-game dailies/weeklies, so much so that you don't/can't run the same boring things every day. Plus they added new mechanics to dailies (seeker droid and macrobinoculars) that tie into additional mounts and vanity gear you can unlock.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I pre ordered as soon as it was announced because I still subscribe to the game. The seeker droid is some hot garbage as is the new gear (appearance wise) but god damn if seeing a Hutt actually fight doesn't entice you well you're crazy.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By EuanDewar

CL60

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EXTomar

No because if it is just 5 more levels of story that will not be enough.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I would of picked this game up by now if the free to play model wasn't reported to be total garbage.

Jesus i'd be happy to just give them a one off purchase at like 30 dollars.

fleshribbon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fleshribbon

Expansion is not just 5 more levels.

-New skills for >50

-New gear

-New end-game HM Flashpoints (new mechanics on previous low-level-only FPs)

-New end-game crafting

-New Operation world bosses

-New Operation and Level-adjusted

-New planet Makeb + fully voice-acted storyline, unique per faction and unique intro per class

-New dailies/weekly and reputation for Makeb

--Macrobinoculars questline + dailies

--Seeker Droid questline + dailies

--GSI questline/dailies/weekly across 4 planets

-New weekly and daily missions for >50

In general with 2.0 update

-Gear adjustments

-New universal planetary commendations system (much more useful for maintaining gear as leveling)

-Some Operations adjusted for new levels (better gear drops for lvl 50 Ops)

-New weekly and daily missions

I'm sure I missed something but there is a lot of content as part of ROTHC expansion.

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No. I don't like the game and i don't understand why anyone else would.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Expansion is not just 5 more levels.

-New skills for >50

-New gear

-New end-game HM Flashpoints (new mechanics on previous low-level-only FPs)

-New end-game crafting

-New Operation world bosses

-New Operation and Level-adjusted

-New planet Makeb + fully voice-acted storyline, unique per faction and unique intro per class

-New dailies/weekly and reputation for Makeb

--Macrobinoculars questline + dailies

--Seeker Droid questline + dailies

--GSI questline/dailies/weekly across 4 planets

-New weekly and daily missions for >50

In general with 2.0 update

-Gear adjustments

-New universal planetary commendations system (much more useful for maintaining gear as leveling)

-Some Operations adjusted for new levels (better gear drops for lvl 50 Ops)

-New weekly and daily missions

I'm sure I missed something but there is a lot of content as part of ROTHC expansion.

So yeah, 5 more levels of story. And again it isn't enough because there are problems in the way the current content work where piling on more content is not helpful.

fleshribbon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, why do people bother coming to the SWTOR forum threads if they don't like the game? Just leave it to those who enjoy the game and would like to discuss it. Also, yeah, there may be occasional bugs that are going to be in any game this size but nothing game-breaking that I've experienced since launch and nothing widespread or egregious.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By EXTomar

If one doesn't want to see the answers then the question shouldn't be asked. There are problems with SWTOR where asking others to "stop picking on them!" doesn't make it go away.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had tons of fun with the game personally. Might jump back again in the near future the story is pretty top notch and its free! Complaining about something free is like complaining about Nutella.

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Only way i'd jump into this game again is if they did a free-lancer style travel system.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EXTomar

@mikejflick said:

Only way i'd jump into this game again is if they did a free-lancer style travel system.

Now that would be a feature worth an expansion especially if they want to do a "smuggler" theme.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MideonNViscera

I'm gonna just pre-say it sucks instead.

Also, @i_stay_puft, I really fucking hate hazelnut.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.