Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Are you pleased with Bioware's choice to make KOTOR III an MMO?

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By BiggerBomb
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BiggerBomb

I've been thinking about the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR) games. KOTOR is probably my all time favorite game and I had a blast with KOTOR II, as well. I've been visiting www.swtor.com lately and the community is shockingly pleasant, not to mention what little of the game has been shown looks pretty sweet. That said, can the promises of Bioware be delivered? Will we really see a KOTOR MMO rather than an MMO in the KOTOR universe? Will Star Wars: The Old Republic be a worthy successor to the traditional Knights of the Old Republic format?

I don't know and I'm not sure if this is what I want. How about you?

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

No I HATE MMO's specially since this will have a monthly fee and i dont feel like paying that, I want an regular rpg dammit.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By weltal

Is it KOTOR III? Have they said it's the next in the line of KOTOR games?

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Weltal said:
    "Is it KOTOR III? Have they said it's the next in the line of KOTOR games?"

Those are two very different questions. Yes, it is the next game in the series; as in, this is the successor to the series. But this might not be KOTOR III, per say. That's irrelevant, though. My point is that they are making SWTOR instead of KOTOR III, right now, and that's something that may not settle well in the hearts of gamers and KOTOR fans alike.
    CactusWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CactusWolf

I would much rather see a regular KOTOR III, that said, I can still see this turning out really well.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Don't care, I hated KOTOR.

Yes, I'm prepared to die.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By mike

I don't see this game as KOTOR III - it may be the spiritual successor to the KOTOR games, and it may even be in the KOTOR franchise, but it's certainly no KOTOR III.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By weltal
    BiggerBomb said:
    Those are two very different questions. Yes, it is the next game in the series; as in, this is the successor to the series. But this might not be KOTOR III, per say. That's irrelevant, though. My point is that they are making SWTOR instead of KOTOR III, right now, and that's something that may not settle well in the hearts of gamers and KOTOR fans alike."
    Actually it makes a big difference. If they said this was the next installment of the KOTOR storyline then I'd be pissed. If it's not then I don't really care. Developers gotta get paid and MMO's are a nice way to do it.

By the way, isn't this going to be micro-transaction based? I think I can live with that if the game is at least OK.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#10  Edited By mike
    Weltal said:
    By the way, isn't this going to be micro-transaction based? I think I can live with that if the game is at least OK."

I think EA hinted at it in a press release, but no details have been announced as far as I know.  Either way, I'll be playing this.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#11  Edited By the8bitNacho

I'm could be wrong, but if I remember correctly BioWare no longer has access to the KOTOR license.  Obsidian (KOTOR 2) owns the rights to both Star Wars d20 and The Forgotten Realms, both of which they received from BioWare.  This would make a non-KOTOR, non-d20 RPG their only option, which means why the hell shouldn't this be an MMO?

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Red

Yes, I just hope my laptop can run it. If I want a single-player Bioware game in the vain of the original KoTOR I'll play Mass Effect, but if I wanna feel like I matter in a Star Wars universe then this is what I want.

CreamyGoodness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By CreamyGoodness

maybe. not so sure. seems good now, but i dont want to become a wow bitch who weighs 1000 pounds and has no friends

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Lies

I think it's a bit early to judge, seeing as we've been shown so little. But I really would have preferred a traditional, single-player KOTOR RPG as opposed to an MMO. I think Bioware can do the license justice, but I'm not sure if it's something I'll be interested in.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I didn't like KOTOR, so I don't really care. If I were a big fan, though, I'd probably be pissed.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By jakob187
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "No I HATE MMO's specially since this will have a monthly fee and i dont feel like paying that, I want an regular rpg dammit."
    Wow, that's just...wow.  Great criticism right there, sir.  /golfclap  Yet another smug analysis from someone who can't offer any CRITICAL opinions, just snarky ones.

Anyways, KOTOR should not enter the MMO space for many reasons.
    1. The ability to maintain a persistent world while holding onto the moral choice system that made the KOTOR series so dynamic probably won't be as enjoyable and rewarding in an MMO as it would in a single-player RPG experience
    2. While there may be multiple classes, people will only want to play the ones that have lightsabers.  This will more than likely drastically reduce the number of varying classes online at any given time.  Evidence of this can be seen in Star Wars' last MMO endeavor, Galaxies.
    3. A good opportunity to offer a massive amount of lore might be available through the medium of MMOs, and it will allow players to partake in some of those experiences on a grander scale.  However, character and emotion may suffer greatly from this...and the KOTOR series was always known very well for providing those two fields in big ways.
    These are simply three of the dozens of reasons I could offer as to why a KOTOR MMO is the worst possible direction to take this franchise.  I understand that BioWare wants to explore new areas, and that's fine.  I just think that doing this with KOTOR of all franchises is a very risky and drastic move that...well, let's be honest...if Star Wars can't trump WoW, then what the fuck ever will?
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

I'm surprised how close the poll tallies are. 

In any case, no, it's not a KotOR entry.  It's in the same continuum, sure, but it's not direct lineage. 

Regardless, this isn't going to affect me.  I habitually avoid MMO's, so I won't shell out the cash for this game anyhow. 

Monkeymantjg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Monkeymantjg

here is my 2 cents:

first off most MMO's have been failing for many reasons .... but we all have a few of those reasons in mind and no need to get into it right now.
    second I think steps in the MMO direction would be better; like coop storyline campaign would do well to work on the team work aspect of multiplayer in the star wars universe
    third increase the size of the coop campaign to more the 4  clients like double the number 8 . Left 4 dead is a great 8 player versus however limited in content. yet still has 8 clients connected with lots of zombies on screen.

my main point is more then on client  fighting together while the game tells a story. Coop campaign

Lieutenant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lieutenant

If it's the cookie cutter Everquest/Warcraft MMO? Then hell no. If it does what vanilla SWG did with the MMO genre then yes.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By RichardLOlson

Not really.  Cause  MMORPGs are just pointless.  The original KOTOR and KOTOR2 were really great games and now that bioware wants to turn it into somthing pointless....well to me thats just sad.  I don't want to have to pay for a game that I know will be about the same thing as star wars galaxies.  And that game was just about as pointless as WOW (World Of Warcraft).

Avatar image for gobiasindustries
    GobiasIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GobiasIndustries

I don't like MMOs, but if there's one that could MAYBE win me over it's KOTOR.

But I doubt it.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I'm not quite pleased. I think it would have been a better move to have made it an Xbox 360 MMO. Let's face it, there's a lot of gamers like myself who only play on consoles and have never really had anything to push us into playing MMO games. Dude, KOTOR3 could have changed that. If it was an MMO on 360, it would be the first MMO I would ever play, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this. Or... it could have been an all new Star Wars MMO completely, leaving KOTOR3 to be a console RPG like the previous games.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By c1337us

Simple answer NO, Just give me some regular KotOR III please.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By coakroach

YES!
    Milk the nerds for all they are worth!
    MWUHAHAHAHAHA!

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pause422

They've still never said a Kotor 3 wasn't happening. This is indeed not Kotor 3 though. Am I happy their next star ways KOTOR game , is an mmo? I feel like like it could be really awesome since I have faith in Bioware, but at the same time, they've never done an mmo, and having LucasArts help them doesn't help it either in my eyes. I want to say what I've heard about the Kotor MMO, sounds pretty awesome. However, the only things said so far, that make it sound really good, are just concept at this point. I doubt, nearly 100%, any of that is in the game atm, or if they have any idea yet on how to get their ideas and things they've stated publicly, that the mmo would have in the game at all.

I of course want to believe it, and I'm really looking forward to it, and just hearing more about it. But of course, everyone should be skeptical about it.

Just have to say though....no....an mmo on a console would be a disaster. TheGreatGuero, you would not want your first mmo experience to be on a console. Just really, you wouldn't. Some things just only work well on PC, just like some games only work well on console.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BiggerBomb
    TheGTAvaccine said:
    "Don't care, I hated KOTOR.

Yes, I'm prepared to die."

Not only do you hate pumpkin pie, but now you confess your hatred for KOTOR?

>.<

OFF WITH HIS HEAD!

Weltal said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    Those are two very different questions. Yes, it is the next game in the series; as in, this is the successor to the series. But this might not be KOTOR III, per say. That's irrelevant, though. My point is that they are making SWTOR instead of KOTOR III, right now, and that's something that may not settle well in the hearts of gamers and KOTOR fans alike."
    Actually it makes a big difference. If they said this was the next installment of the KOTOR storyline then I'd be pissed. If it's not then I don't really care. Developers gotta get paid and MMO's are a nice way to do it.

By the way, isn't this going to be micro-transaction based? I think I can live with that if the game is at least OK."

I believe that this is the next installment of the storyline. If you look *here (beware of KOTOR/KOTOR II spoilers)*, Bioware sets the events of KOTOR I/II in stone and establishes the events which ensue. This would suggest that Bioware has determined the story's progression.

That said, SWTOR takes place 300 years after the events of KOTOR II. There is plenty of time to squeeze in a third installment into the three-century gap in time. But I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that SWTOR is KOTOR III. Obsidian has quite a few projects on its plate and Bioware seems to have scrapped the traditional KOTOR series in favor of their own IP, Mass Effect.

=(
    oliver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By oliver

YES!  I Dont like playing 13£ a month for game plus i love the 1st two :((

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By penguindust

I just quit WOW, so on one hand, I'm not eager to delve into another MMO, on the other hand, one of the reasons I quit WOW was because I was sick of the Tolkien-like fantasy world.  So, when I heard about the new Star Wars MMO from Bioware, I was excited.  If done right, I think I could get into it.  But on the same token, I don't perceive this forth coming game as KOTOR III.  It may take place in the same world, but as far as I know, it has nothing to do with Revan or any of the characters from the first two KOTOR rpgs. 

Now, as BiggerBomb mentioned, Mass Effect is where Bioware is focusing their single player efforts right now.  So, maybe that question could be asked, as well.  Would you prefer Bioware to develope a KOTOR III or a Mass Effect 2 sequel?

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By Hexpane

KOTOR MMO on paper sounded great, but when you see the videos it looks like RUBBISH

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Hexpane said:
    "KOTOR MMO on paper sounded great, but when you see the videos it looks like RUBBISH"

Dude, it's pre-alpha...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.