Can't tell if the servers are slow or my computer sucks

#1 Posted by FeelTheFunkness (30 posts) -

Hey guys, I got this game this morning and started trying to play it tonight, and I can't tell if the servers are slow or if my computer is sucking. I fiddled with all the graphical settings and nothing seems to make a difference, so I'm leaning towards slow servers. I am in North America.

Anyone else having similar issues?

#3 Posted by Nephrahim (1119 posts) -

I stopped playing today after I couldn't get over 1-2 bars in connection. Wasn't sure what was causing it.

#4 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

To the bottom left of the minimap there are some abrs - hover over them to see your ping.

#5 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

I was playing this morning just fine. Not a single issue. Of course I'm sure there was a spike in activations as the day went on which could have hampered performance.

#6 Posted by JoMate (241 posts) -
@FeelTheFunkness
What specs does your system have? Cause the server has been fine for me and I am on a US server even though I'm from europe.
#7 Posted by Vexxan (4616 posts) -

@ShaggyPolarBear said:

anyone else read that thread title with the Fry Meme in mind?

Totally did.

#8 Posted by animathias (1172 posts) -

I've been playing a lot the last two days with no issues whatsoever. Granted, I'm on the East Coast playing on an East Coast server, but it's been just fine.

#9 Posted by project343 (2812 posts) -

Zero issues for me. Both incredibly low latency and great performance. Apparently shadows are a bit of a memory hog. I recommend turning off shadows entirely if you think it's your PC's performance.

#10 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4609 posts) -

@animathias said:

I've been playing a lot the last two days with no issues whatsoever. Granted, I'm on the East Coast playing on an East Coast server, but it's been just fine.

I'm pretty sure you're doing it right.

#11 Posted by JoeyIA (662 posts) -

Same for me. Everything looks fine and seems to run fine on the highest settings except when I try to circle-strafe, then the frame rate plummets. I tried turning everything down and still no help. If I move in straight lines everything is cool, its just when I make circles :/

#12 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2682 posts) -

Haven't run into any issues at all and I've been playing since the beta weekends. Extremely good pings/latency even during peak times.

Granted my computer obliterates this game, so it's just pure internet connection at that point (i5 2500k, 2xGTX570 SLIs, SSD, etc).

#13 Posted by frytup (89 posts) -

No problems with server latency here, but there are definitely frame rate issues at certain points in the game. Mounting and dismounting from my speeder always causes a hiccup, FPS plummets when cruising around the fleet zone, etc.

I'm running an i7-870/8GB/HD 5870 at 1680x1050, so I would expect pretty smooth going.

#14 Posted by jakob187 (21645 posts) -

BioWare has acknowledged issues when you are inside any indoor areas in terms of frame rate. Apparently, it's something about the shaders and shadows that is causing the problem. Turning off shadows can significantly increase performance issues.

You should also make sure that your video card drivers are updated to the latest version.

#15 Posted by frytup (89 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

BioWare has acknowledged issues when you are inside any indoor areas in terms of frame rate. Apparently, it's something about the shaders and shadows that is causing the problem. Turning off shadows can significantly increase performance issues.

You should also make sure that your video card drivers are updated to the latest version.

I assume you meant turning off shadows can increase performance, not increase performance issues. Worth a shot.

#16 Posted by Knetic2341 (243 posts) -

I feel servers are fine. My laptop gets a bad framerate so I know that is my problem.

#17 Posted by Neeshka (118 posts) -

Is the 0.5 second ability delay everyone seems to be talking about really a thing ?

Seems game breaking to me.

Here's a brief description of the problem: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=84943

Also

Guys

Let's not confuse fps & latency; makes us look like simpletons.

#18 Edited by Zelyre (1132 posts) -

@Neeshka said:

Let's not confuse fps & latency; makes us look like simpletons.

That drives me crazy. I'm not sure when people started using lag for frame rate issues, but its a pet peeve of mine. It's like having a Baldur's Gate portrait while having a screen name from Planescape. j/k. (Edit: And by Planescape, I mean NWN2!)

@FeelTheFunkness:

If your frame rate is low, it's your computer. This helped a friend of mine with her computer:

Set the graphics setting to the highest it'll go to. Hit apply.

Set your graphics back to low. Hit apply. Then, start moving things back one at a time.

It fixed her frame rate issue, even though she started the game on low settings. It was unplayable on low before, but now is smooth on medium for her after doing this.

Could we get some system specs? Processor/video card?

If you click on an attack button, or try to loot something, and it takes a second for the action to take place? That's network latency, or lag. If you see things warping around? Most likely packet loss, which causes lag as requests are remade. On the servers I've played on, lag wasn't an issue. If your ping is high (bars on the lower right hand corner.) then try another server, one that's low population. If you're still lagging, make sure no one on your network is downloading, streaming, torrenting.

#19 Posted by The_Drizzle (624 posts) -

@ShaggyPolarBear said:

anyone else read that thread title with the Fry Meme in mind?

Lol yes,

here ya go

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.