Convince me to play this.

#1 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Alright, to start it off, I'd like to let everyone know that I am a HUGE Star Wars fan so that's partially one of the reasons why I''m on the fence here. The other part is that I despise MMO gameplay. I can't stand it for the life of me. DCUO's gameplay was a little more tolerable because it was action oriented but from what I hear, this is exactly like a standard MMO, which saddens me.

Is there any way this could appeal to me, or should I not even waste my money?

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@mcderby4 said:

Alright, to start it off, I'd like to let everyone know that I am a HUGE Star Wars fan so that's partially one of the reasons why I''m on the fence here. The other part is that I despise MMO gameplay. I can't stand it for the life of me. DCUO's gameplay was a little more tolerable because it was action oriented but from what I hear, this is exactly like a standard MMO, which saddens me.

Is there any way this could appeal to me, or should I not even waste my money?

From what I heard you can do ALOT of the game alone. One of the biggest issues people have is with the "MMO" part. Many are saying there is none. Just lots of big open areas with no people. Quests can be done alone. From what Ive seen and heard combat is more or less the same as WOW but set in the Star wars universe. Course you will have to pay 15 bucks a month after your first free month.  
 
What "MMO" part is turning you off about it? The combat? The MMO Part (With lots of people) Which part? 
#3 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@mcderby4 said:

Alright, to start it off, I'd like to let everyone know that I am a HUGE Star Wars fan so that's partially one of the reasons why I''m on the fence here. The other part is that I despise MMO gameplay. I can't stand it for the life of me. DCUO's gameplay was a little more tolerable because it was action oriented but from what I hear, this is exactly like a standard MMO, which saddens me.

Is there any way this could appeal to me, or should I not even waste my money?

From what I heard you can do ALOT of the game alone. One of the biggest issues people have is with the "MMO" part. Many are saying there is none. Just lots of big open areas with no people. Quests can be done alone. From what Ive seen and heard combat is more or less the same as WOW but set in the Star wars universe. Course you will have to pay 15 bucks a month after your first free month. What "MMO" part is turning you off about it? The combat? The MMO Part (With lots of people) Which part?

I don't mind the MMO portion, but the gameplay turns me off. It's really not all that engaging and bores me since it has little animation and creativity. Just my opinion though.

#4 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@mcderby4 said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@mcderby4 said:

Alright, to start it off, I'd like to let everyone know that I am a HUGE Star Wars fan so that's partially one of the reasons why I''m on the fence here. The other part is that I despise MMO gameplay. I can't stand it for the life of me. DCUO's gameplay was a little more tolerable because it was action oriented but from what I hear, this is exactly like a standard MMO, which saddens me.

Is there any way this could appeal to me, or should I not even waste my money?

From what I heard you can do ALOT of the game alone. One of the biggest issues people have is with the "MMO" part. Many are saying there is none. Just lots of big open areas with no people. Quests can be done alone. From what Ive seen and heard combat is more or less the same as WOW but set in the Star wars universe. Course you will have to pay 15 bucks a month after your first free month. What "MMO" part is turning you off about it? The combat? The MMO Part (With lots of people) Which part?

I don't mind the MMO portion, but the gameplay turns me off. It's really not all that engaging and bores me since it has little animation and creativity. Just my opinion though.

The story is what people are coming for. But fighting and all the other stuff looks like WoW. 
#5 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@mcderby4 said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@mcderby4 said:

Alright, to start it off, I'd like to let everyone know that I am a HUGE Star Wars fan so that's partially one of the reasons why I''m on the fence here. The other part is that I despise MMO gameplay. I can't stand it for the life of me. DCUO's gameplay was a little more tolerable because it was action oriented but from what I hear, this is exactly like a standard MMO, which saddens me.

Is there any way this could appeal to me, or should I not even waste my money?

From what I heard you can do ALOT of the game alone. One of the biggest issues people have is with the "MMO" part. Many are saying there is none. Just lots of big open areas with no people. Quests can be done alone. From what Ive seen and heard combat is more or less the same as WOW but set in the Star wars universe. Course you will have to pay 15 bucks a month after your first free month. What "MMO" part is turning you off about it? The combat? The MMO Part (With lots of people) Which part?

I don't mind the MMO portion, but the gameplay turns me off. It's really not all that engaging and bores me since it has little animation and creativity. Just my opinion though.

The story is what people are coming for. But fighting and all the other stuff looks like WoW.

Yeah... I gave WoW a try and I was immersed in the world and the rich backstory, but the gameplay was unbearable. TOR's seems to be more of the same.

#6 Edited by Wuddel (2057 posts) -

@mcderby4: Waste of money. Seriously. You come to MMOs for elaborate teamplay based gameplay of the really complicated sort. IMHO MMOs are purely fun for the "social meta game". You want to be someone that brings something to the table for the progress of everyone. At least I try to play that way and enjoy most hanging out with people of a similar mindset. The part were you play an MMO by yourself as an RPG for the story and the combat is mostly awful. This game is not for you.

#7 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

@mcderby4 said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@mcderby4 said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@mcderby4 said:

Alright, to start it off, I'd like to let everyone know that I am a HUGE Star Wars fan so that's partially one of the reasons why I''m on the fence here. The other part is that I despise MMO gameplay. I can't stand it for the life of me. DCUO's gameplay was a little more tolerable because it was action oriented but from what I hear, this is exactly like a standard MMO, which saddens me.

Is there any way this could appeal to me, or should I not even waste my money?

From what I heard you can do ALOT of the game alone. One of the biggest issues people have is with the "MMO" part. Many are saying there is none. Just lots of big open areas with no people. Quests can be done alone. From what Ive seen and heard combat is more or less the same as WOW but set in the Star wars universe. Course you will have to pay 15 bucks a month after your first free month. What "MMO" part is turning you off about it? The combat? The MMO Part (With lots of people) Which part?

I don't mind the MMO portion, but the gameplay turns me off. It's really not all that engaging and bores me since it has little animation and creativity. Just my opinion though.

The story is what people are coming for. But fighting and all the other stuff looks like WoW.

Yeah... I gave WoW a try and I was immersed in the world and the rich backstory, but the gameplay was unbearable. TOR's seems to be more of the same.

sounds to me like you would absolutely hate TOR as it has MMO gameplay and that should be the end of it

#8 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@Wuddel: @jetsetwillie: Well that's a bummer, I was really looking forward to playing something after this semester was over.

#9 Posted by Hosstile17 (747 posts) -

@mcderby4: Not my job to convince anyone to do anything. I leave that to the date rapers.

#10 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1229 posts) -

@mcderby4: It's really bad MMO gameplay as well. I mean, take WoW, but make it bad, add Star Wars and voice-overs, voila, TOR.

#11 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@Hosstile17: Lol thanks for the input

@Ertard: Well I love the Star Wars aspect of it and I hear the story and quests are top notch, but that gameplay is killer...

#12 Posted by Matt (937 posts) -

@mcderby4: If you're interested give it a go. No one else can tell if you will like it or not.

#13 Posted by Nocall (339 posts) -

I went into TOR as a huge SWTOR 1 & 2 fan.

I don't like using my credit card for MMOs, so I bought a 60-day game card when I picked up the game. That means I spent ~$100 on this game at the store and had 90 days of credit to my account.

I got to about level 30 on both a Republic Trooper and a Imperial Agent.

I quit playing before the first 30 days were up. There's still time left on the account right now, time I paid a sizable amount of money on, but I haven't so much as logged on. And I have no desire to. I should probably just uninstall it.

The storylines are passable, but weren't enough to keep me playing. It takes far too long for something to happen, and when it does it usually ends up being irrelevant. The writing is very...well, not even hit-or-miss. It's more bunt-or-miss.

Combat gets old quick. Very quick. This game made me realize that I'm done with any MMO featuring tab-targetting.

I wouldn't recommend getting it.

#14 Posted by dagas (2710 posts) -

It's the best MMO I've played in years, maybe ever.

Keep in mind that's like Jeff saying "This is the best JRPG I've played" because I'm not an MMO fan. I like it, but it suffers from being an MMO since everything is so tedious. I wish I could just play the class story and skip everything else, but you need to do a bunch of PvP or side quests to level.

It feels like playing a Bioware single player game whish is good, but it's a 40 hour single player game stretched out into 200 hours which is bad.

I really want to like I really do! I played a lot in the first weeks, but not so much anymore =( There's still a great game there if you can deal with the grind.

#15 Posted by White_Silhouette (468 posts) -

If you are that much on the fence about it wait. In theory MMO's are supposed to get better in time and with new features and stuff that's been fixed. They will eventually have a trial period or even free to play in time. No idea how long it will take to get those but you aren't losing out by not playing now.

That said I'm really enjoying my time with it. Me and the GF play together and we get to see each others story quests and having a lot of fun playing.

#16 Posted by Rohok (550 posts) -

Don't.

Wait until it goes free to play. And if it never goes free to play then it's not worth your time. It's arrogant to think an MMO is worth 15 dollars a month. Only a small fraction of the 15 dollars a month is actually needed to keep the servers running, studies showed this with WoW. I have a hard time thinking it's any different with TOR. It's just another giant EA money scam.

#17 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

The biggest problem with The Old Repbulic is they didn't copy WoW enough.
 
If I could just be a Tauren with a lightsaber I would have been on this day one.

#18 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

I too love Star Wars. It's what got me to start playing The Old Republic; the first MMO I've ever played. Unfortunately, after 20 or so hours of slogging through fetch quests and "go kill x number of y" quests, I realized that I was spending more time being bored than enjoying myself. Maybe if you have a big group of friends to play with, that sort of thing won't bother you, but if you're a single player gamer like me who happens to love Star Wars, the MMO nature of The Old Republic will wear thin very fast. I cancelled my account a week into my second month of play.

#19 Posted by Jimbo (9708 posts) -

The gameplay is exactly as bad as you think it's going to be. Don't bother.

#20 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1770 posts) -

i you like star wars you will like this but it is kinda generic MMO gameplay.

#21 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid: Yeah I despise the classic MMO gameplay. So I'll think I'll just wait for the next Star Wars game.

#22 Posted by mordukai (7092 posts) -

@mcderby4 said:

@connerthekewlkid: Yeah I despise the classic MMO gameplay. So I'll think I'll just wait for the next Star Wars game.

End of discussion.

#23 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1770 posts) -

@mcderby4: i sure hope that next game is battlefront 3

#24 Posted by CJduke (779 posts) -

Since you love Star Wars you would love the story stuff this game has, and they did an excellent job creating the world and the characters. The thing is, the mmo combat you hate is the combat of this game. If you hate WoW style combat then I don't think you will enjoy TOR no matter how much Star Wars story stuff there is. And it takes a lot of play time to see all the current story content, so I'd say you shouldn't get this game unless you love Star Wars so much it will make the mmo gameplay style seem fun to you.

#25 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@Mordukai said:

@mcderby4 said:

@connerthekewlkid: Yeah I despise the classic MMO gameplay. So I'll think I'll just wait for the next Star Wars game.

End of discussion.

I guess so lol

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mcderby4: i sure hope that next game is battlefront 3

Oh dude, I frickin hope so...

#26 Posted by Ulain (315 posts) -

@mcderby4: Some really bad convincing here :P As said, SWTOR is really a poorly-done wow clone. MMO creators should probably start realizing this formula doesn't work anymore, after 6+ years. I find questing in general to be an absolutely terrible and boring aspect; I wish EverQuest's original style of grinding would come back, for monsters to actually take planning and skill to take down, as opposed to pressing a few buttons for 12-16 seconds, repeat 20,000 times.

Sorry, rant over. Mass Effect 3 comes out next month if you like BioWare games, and even if you don't, it has a very sci-fi "star wars-esque" feel to it.

#27 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@Ulain said:

@mcderby4: Some really bad convincing here :P As said, SWTOR is really a poorly-done wow clone. MMO creators should probably start realizing this formula doesn't work anymore, after 6+ years. I find questing in general to be an absolutely terrible and boring aspect; I wish EverQuest's original style of grinding would come back, for monsters to actually take planning and skill to take down, as opposed to pressing a few buttons for 12-16 seconds, repeat 20,000 times.

Sorry, rant over. Mass Effect 3 comes out next month if you like BioWare games, and even if you don't, it has a very sci-fi "star wars-esque" feel to it.

Oh trust me, I'll be playing Mass Effect 3 for weeks to come. I absolutely love the series.

#28 Posted by fleshribbon (83 posts) -

I'm a Star Wars fan and was very skeptical since WoW didn't really capture my interest. I really like this game and still do.

#29 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

I actually won't tell you to play this game. Playing an MMO solo, with monthly fees, is a bit counter-productive to me. Sure, you can solo the whole thing together, but voice acting only adds so much. To tell the truth, you will find yourself skipping all the dialog, except those of your main story for the sake of non-replayability.

While the game's combat is certainly cool and the equipment pretty decent-looking, it's still very early in its life cycle and there's little to be seen there that you haven't seen before.

Everybody I know quit the game after the first recurring month. That's about eighteen people.

#30 Posted by bartok (2371 posts) -

I'd play it if it was a Jade Empire or Mass Effect MMO.  The older I get the more I realize that I kinda hate Star Wars.

#31 Posted by Wuddel (2057 posts) -

@Ulain: Never played Everquest, I have to admit. But nowadays the leveling is (rightfully?) degraded to a long-ass tutorial, when you start playing the game at max level. I start having fun when I put on my headset and enter an unconquered (raid) instance.

#32 Edited by Ulain (315 posts) -

@Wuddel: And that's perfectly fine; it's your right to choose what you want to play or do within a game. Me? After playing MMOs for a good 12 years now, I just can't stand the "make it to this part of the game and you'll be well-rewarded". Then again, I've always been one of those people.

I don't mind a good challenge, but I have to have fun accomplishing it. Getting a high-score just for the sake of it (and useless achievement points may as well be the same thing) has never appealed to me.

Edit: Was looking at your other post, and I think you're right that it basically becomes fun when playing with people you'd hang out with outside the game. I had the most fun in wow back in wrath when I had RL friends from work introduce me to a guild of really awesome people, whom I talk to on a regular basis even now. And now I'm playing League of Legends with one of those guildies and having a much better time than I was a few weeks ago.

#33 Posted by oneangryzeus (32 posts) -

I think they may need the money at the beginning since they sank around 200 million into this game, supposedly. I want them to make their money back because, whether you like this game or not (I happen to like it), it took a lot of courage to spend so much on another SWTOR, even if it wasn't exactly the SWTOR everyone wanted.

#34 Posted by stealthdf2 (168 posts) -

you should at least take part in a free trial and see if you like it. im not a huge MMO person but i have played 2-3 of them and enjoy the PVE experience and the rich storylines. I found TOR to be very fun and FULL of lore and awesomeness. There is no auto attack so that makes the game feel more action oriented to me. i even like the animations and the attacks. during lightsaber battles it feels like the movements match up very well. you see parry and blocks happen often and deflect blaster bolts and all that.

play a trial before you rule it out completely. i think you might be surprised

#35 Posted by SmasheControllers (2542 posts) -

@fleshribbon: Same, I'm a light Star Wars fan and hated WoW but love swtor and still having a ton of fun!

#36 Posted by JasonR86 (9363 posts) -

No. There's better ways to waste money other then MMOs.

#37 Posted by HistoryInRust (6212 posts) -

I think you ought to just play the two Knights of the Old Republic games again and avoid this MMO like the plague.* 
 
 
 
*Poster is staunchly anti-MMO. Some bias included.

#38 Posted by gamefreak9 (2327 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

No. There's better ways to waste money other then MMOs.

I disagree, playing wow meant I stopped playing other games for me, so it saved me a huge load of cash. Keep in mind some people play 5-6 games a month(2-3 for me).

#39 Posted by AgnosticJesus (532 posts) -

I don't feel a need to convince you to do play as I am neither an employee of Bioware and EA or a stakeholder.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.