Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Did EA Give BioWare Too Much Free-Reign With TOR?

• 75 results
    Shady1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Shady1992

It seems like BioWare has had too much freedom with this project; its been delayed multiple times, supposedly has a very high budget (EA Louse aside, 300 million doesn't sound too far-fetched, when you consider that EA's CEO says himself that EA spent over 100 million on marketing for Battlefield 3; or plans to at least), and there's little progress to show for it.  Sure, I like story driven content, and full voice acting is a nice touch; but they're not getting the game the attention they hoped for now, and I doubt they will post-release.  Its no big secret that EA has made a couple slip-ups lately, and BioWare, as an extension has done the same (even some of the more rabid mouth-foaming BioWare fans denounce Dragon Age 2 as a shit game, though I didn't bother to play it after I was dissapointed with the first).  But maybe I'm not the best judge of this; I never liked KOTOR (terrible gameplay, and the "story" wasn't that appealing to me), but I liked Mass Effect, and I really loved Mass Effect 2; in fact I'd give Mass Effect 2 a 10/10 its one of my favorite games of all time.  Regardless, Blizzard is their competitor here, and they've made a shitload of money off of their non-MMO ventures as well; more-so than BioWare ever will. 

Am I just blowing this out of my ass?  No; here's some honest concerns I have based on what I've seen (The Don't Say a Word beta leak watched on justin.tv was apparently a popular topic here a while ago, so I think we'll be on the same page) 

• Bad Graphics (stylized or not, cartoony looks bad, especially when you want people to connect with characters, if I wanted to have sex with a cartoon Jedi I'd go cosplay at a Star Wars convention)
    • Over-Statement of Choreographed Combat that is well... repetitive, and very... familiar feeling
    • World of Warcraft DNA - lots of games have come out as "WoW clones" or "Everquest clones" or whatever the fuck else clones, but this one copies WoW the most; I said this would be the case years ago, and I was right
    • Poor Corporate Handling - I've been spoiled by Blizzard for many years now.  Seeing a game go through blunders because the Developers have to answer to a publisher like EA has been a taxing experience for me
    • Shoving Story In - All they fucking talk about is Story and how "epic" it is; if you disagree with me on this point, you are a gay virgin
    • Force Using Classes Clearly Favorited - I'm gonna play a Sith Inquisitor anyway cause I like Wizards, but taking a glance at the Imperial Agent forums where they bitch about no screen-time, or just looking at that Bounty Hunter's stale shooting shows us which classes BioWare likes more
    • Sith ("Empire") Clearly Favored -  Same as above; just watch the trailers
    • Companions - Not only has this idea caught a lot of flak from potential customers, but BioWare can't seem to decide what to do with it.  One minute they're in Raids/4-mans/PvP, next minute they're just in 4-mans, etc.  Even Role Players bitch about this topic, it just wasn't a good idea
    • Full Voice Acting Will Delay Future Content Release - Pretty basic, its just one more step they have to go through to crank out the next Raid; adding unnecessary time and complexity to that process was stupid
    • Space Combat - I bet you were waiting for this one.  Biggest fuck up of them all, Starcraft 2's rail shooter arcade game, and Halo: Reach's 5 minutes of flying-fun being shorehorned into respective games, while BioWare's "impressive budget" garners nothing but absolute shit is comical.  Space Combat is general was comical; I'd go play EVE Online if I wanted Space Combat.  Even the October 2008s on the official Forums whine about this one
    • Poor Community Handling - Deleting every other post on their own forums, refusing to give a release date, a painfully slow trickle of information, extremely dissapointing shows at events, etc.  Purely an opinion I admit; but Blizzard does a better job, even if only slightly.  BioWare wasn't ready for an MMO community, and its baggage

Are these the only problems with TOR?  Lol, of course not.  I don't feel like sitting here working myself up over a complete list of grievances though; these are the most prime examples of why I believe BioWare to have been given too much free reign.  Its probably time for EA to reel them in, and release the game before its too old to get sold without a complete overhaul; but even then I'm not so sure EA really knows what they're doing either at this point.  Maybe BioWare should've just stuck with their talking face RPGs that their fans loved so much cause they got to talk to a girl on a spaceship, and EA should've just stuck to bragging about how Battlefield is going to kill Call of Duty (not a far-shot with Call of Duty Elite, but that's a story for a different day).

What do you guys think?
    SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By SMTDante89

No.  Also, how can a game be delayed multiple times when a release date was never given?

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Why do you want to have sex with a Jedi?

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By PhatSeeJay

@NeverDave said:

Why do you want to have sex with a Jedi?

Because if he don't want to bone them, they are graphically inferior. Best rule of thumb.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By babblinmule

I don't really have to urge to go into it, but I'm think the only point I agree with is the mmo combat mechanics. The rest I think you're just pulling out of your arse.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Ineedaname

I disagree with most of your points as well as the way you present them.

I'm not sure if this is an attempt at trolling or you genuinely feel this way.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Man! ToR is so hotly contested on the boards there is like three hot threads atm personally I have written my thoughts on both other boards but here is my final thought. I like WoW, I like Star Wars, I like BioWares story and companions, from what I have seen and played, this marries all four together perfectly. 

I. CAN'T. WAIT.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By phrosnite
    @SMTDante89 said:

No.  Also, how can a game be delayed multiple times when a release date was never given?

Nice one, sir.

@Ineedaname said:

Also this.
    DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By DeeGee

I'm just gonna say, refusing to give a release date is not a bad thing and I have no idea when gamers became so self-entitled. The game has no release date because it is not finished. When it is finished and ready to ship, it will have a release date. It's ridiculous to ask them to even estimate a release date since they haven't even had a beta yet. When they're ready and comfortable about how things will go down, then you can expect the information to flood out.

I mean, I couldn't care less about this game, but damn, why are people complaining it doesn't have a release date? Do they not realise that games aren't built in the blink of an eye?

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator
    @babblinmule said:
    I don't really have to urge to go into it, but I'm think the only point I agree with is the mmo combat mechanics. The rest I think you're just pulling out of your arse.
    I agree 100% all that favoritism shit is such horseshit the space combat is an added extra and the release date has been explained. 
    I could tear each one apart but I am fed up with haters on this game just let me fucking play and enjoy it and move on.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@Ineedaname said:

My sentiments exactly.

Think he's just mad, at something that isn't even out yet, awesome.
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By GunslingerPanda

After playing some of their more recent games I don't think Bioware has any freedom whatsoever. They'll do what EA tells them and they'll like it.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    @Ineedaname said:

My sentiments exactly.  Think he's just mad, at something that isn't even out yet, awesome.
    Yup. Everything here.
    Shady1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Shady1992
    @SMTDante89 said:
    The improvised performance at E3, and missing their "window" of Spring 2011 points to a delayed release
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#15  Edited By alistercat

I think anyone who calls people a "gay virgin" should be ignored. There is no place for you in this forum.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

The only thing that bums me out about the game is that it doesn't look like it brings anything new to the table combat wise which is a bummer. Beyond that,  I feel like the forum backlash is partly out of people just wanting KOTOR 3 (which I will admit I would much, much rather have). 

But it does kinda suck that it sort of just looks like wizards in space. And, OP, if Bioware truly favored the Empire/Sith, you think they would be able to come up with better named abilities than stuff like "Dark Heal." 

I will still probably play the fuck out of this game for at least a bit. That's really the only way to figure out if a MMO is any good.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By flaminghobo
    @AlisterCat said:

I think anyone who calls people a "gay virgin" should be ignored. There is no place for you in this forum.

This. There's also a number of other 'points' in his arguments that he makes which are flat-out laughable.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

We honestly have very little information about the relationship between EA and Bioware during development, I don't think we can judge a publisher-developer relationship when we know next to nothing about it. The most we could probably even speculate about what's gone on is that EA have invested a lot of money in Bioware on this one so it's very likely that they've been keeping a close eye on the project. You seem to have more gripes with the game than other people and that's fine but if there's a problem with a game it can be for an endless list of reasons, it's not logical to jump to the conclusion that the problems are simply due to the publisher giving the developer too much free reign and when it comes down to it, it's up to the developer to make a good game and publisher meddling alone can almost never fix developer problems.

Frankly I want publishers to give developers as much creative freedom as possible, I want my games to be created by people with true creative vision, not some EA exec trying to calculate which played-out game mechanics will make the company the most cash. In fact in the MMO space specifically investors interfering with the development teams could very well just lead to even more failed WoW-likes being pumped out in an effort to try and emulate Blizzard's success, if the MMO genre is to innovate it's going to be the creativity of the developers which allows it.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ryanwho

A publisher giving a dev too much freedom? Now I've heard everything. Yes, its EA's fault if this game is shitty, for giving Bioware too much freedom to make WoW in the Star Wars prequel universe. It all adds up.

pplus0440

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pplus0440

you realize you made a list of things that were going to be wrong with this game in hopes something would change and then complained that they pushed back the date? You want them to fix a game but have it put out already?  

I love wow. But i wish wow was better at telling stories and i wish patches came out slower because i dont have all week to keep my gear relevant. I have only done a few Cataclysm raids already. So Adding voice fixes the story problem and the timing problem for me. And you really are trying to hard to have something to complain about. Also don't you think that calling down flaming meteors onto your opponent would kill them and leave all other attempts at fighting futile? Yeah. So maybe they will BALANCE the force/non force classes so that its balanced? 

Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Liber

This game for what it is now , looks just bad.

I watched a shitload of E3 streams about this game and I don't like it at all.

I know its unfair to judge a game before its release , but if they shoot for 2011 release , 6 months is not enough to make dramatic changes to this game.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By demonbear
    @SMTDante89 said:
    This, end of thread.
    SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#23  Edited By SMTDante89
    @Shady1992 said:
    @SMTDante89 said:
    The improvised performance at E3, and missing their "window" of Spring 2011 points to a delayed release
    That's one delay.  Not really the "multiple" delays you claimed.  Get your facts straight, not that your argument really matters after making a joke about sexual orientation that has no place in this argument whatsoever.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By Seppli

Wierdly argumented opinion seems negatively biased. Being against big projects is very à la mode these days. I for one am excited to get my own hands-on soon and I do reserve judgement for when I do.

It certainly looks like a WoW-Star-Wars-reskin building on Bioware's own Star Wars KotOR heritage with the added value of fully and professionally voiced dialogs throughout. Which is an entirely good thing in my book. Other than there not being another SP KotOR. EA and Bioware will sell me their retail box on day 1. Millions will do the same as me. Pick it up. Play it. And finally start bitching and moaning and throwing it to the wayside or bitching and moaning whilst keeping on playing the shit out of it.

Opinionated young man fails to make a reasonable point. Headline of this thread.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By iamjohn

If anything, isn't the fact that it's literally a Star Wars skin for WoW proof that EA didn't give them enough free reign?

@Shady1992 said:

• Shoving Story In - All they fucking talk about is Story and how "epic" it is; if you disagree with me on this point, you are a gay virgin

Your ass needs to grow the fuck up.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By SSully

You could have made an interesting thread. But you really fucked up and showed everyone how much of an ignorant bastard you are. Oh and saying people are "gay virgins" because they disagree with you is pathetic. Better luck next time, chump.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Meowshi

Why would you trust EA over Bioware? 

They are one of the main reasons Warhammer turned into such a pile of crap.  They know fuck all.  

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ryanwho

Warhammer was crappy cus the publishers screwed up. When things go bad its the publisher's fault, devs only make good games. Except when jerk publishers give them too much freedom. Publishers ruin everything!

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bocam

What exactly is a "gay virgin"? Someone who hasn't had gay sex?

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Meowshi
    @ryanwho said: 
    Warhammer was crappy cus the publishers screwed up. When things go bad its the publisher's fault, devs only make good games. Except when jerk publishers give them too much freedom. Publishers ruin everything!
    Exactly.  
    BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BonOrbitz

@Ineedaname said:

The fact he says " if you disagree with me on this point, you are a gay virgin" is as intelligent and informative as me calling him a "fucktard" for his opinions.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ryanwho
    @Bocam said:

What exactly is a "gay virgin"? Someone who hasn't had gay sex?

Technically most straight people are gay virgins, then.
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DonPixel

I don't really think the Bioware's dialogue gameplay signature really fits the MMO enviroment.. and anyway, What are they planing to do with content updates?

WoW and Rift are updated almost in monthly basis.. I hardly think Bioware is going to be able to do that.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By benjaebe

I, and most others, should reserve judgement until the game actually comes out or has more coverage than a few short gameplay demos of a game that isn't even near release.

I know - it's a crazy suggestion.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By EvilTwin
    @AlisterCat said:

This.  Shape up or ship out.
    Nevski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Nevski

@Rufi91 said:

Man! ToR is so hotly contested on the boards there is like three hot threads atm personally I have written my thoughts on both other boards but here is my final thought. I like WoW, I like Star Wars, I like BioWares story and companions, from what I have seen and played, this marries all four together perfectly. I. CAN'T. WAIT.

This.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle

I'd love to dive into this game, I see nothing really wrong with it. The only problem I have is the monthly fee, sadly. 

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By matt

God what a load of drivel. You're gravely misinformed or downright stupid

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39  Edited By jorbear

@benjaebe said:

I, and most others, should reserve judgement until the game actually comes out or has more coverage than a few short gameplay demos of a game that isn't even near release.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By Vonocourt

Shoving Story In - All they fucking talk about is Story and how "epic" it is; if you disagree with me on this point, you are a gay virgin

Way to win me over with your argument there bud.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By onarum

This thing will go down so fast when  it launches, I wonder if it'll break the APB record.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator
    @benjaebe said:

lololololol
    rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator
    @onarum: No. It. Won't. You are an idiot for even thinking that! It has all of EAs money behind it and loyal fanbase that is 3 million strong it already has half a million pre-orders where are your facts to back up your points?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

... my mind is blown.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By phish09
    @Shady1992 said:
    I completely disagree with you on this point, and, you're right, I am a "gay virgin" in the sense that I have never had sex with a man...but, beleive me, you're mom can testify to the fact that I am not a virgin.  

Anyway, anyone who would make a post this long about a star wars video game has no place calling anyone gay or a virgin.
    BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BUCK3TM4N

since you clearly stated your dislike for KOTOR, what made you think you would like the successor?

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By hatking
    @AlisterCat said:

Yeah. That's right about the point where the "oh, this guy is a total moron" thought clicked.  Needless to say I didn't finish reading his post.
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By onarum
    @Rufi91

No facts, just a gut felling.

Also amount of pre-orders is meaningless for a MMO, it will all depend of how many people keep playing after it launches.

And please no name calling, I don't think my comment was enough to warrant me being called an idiot.
    rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator
    @onarum: You are spreading negative feelings and hate based of no facts. I'm simply returning the favor. 
    If you don't have nothing nice to say don't say nothing at all?
    Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By Nomin

I think Bioware IS EA, and vice versa.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.