Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Digital download is "sold out"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By granderojo

I set out this morning to buy the digital version of the game yet to my shagrin it was 'sold out' which really turned me off to buying the game at all. My question is that I heard on the Origin browser that it's being sold but not on the website. I uninstalled Origin after the Battlefield 3 Beta because I found it really obtuse and haven't reinstalled it since. Anyone know if I can just buy the regular edition online digitally?

I don't want the digital deluxe version or a physical copy of the game so yeah, anyone know where I can get it digitally?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

I'm pretty sure they're not selling any more copies right now is because they don't have enough server power to accommodate everyone who wants to play, and they can't afford to increase queue times even MORE (I've heard they're already outrageous). Once they get more servers, or user population drops down, they'll start selling the digital copies again- but they've been telling us they were going to throttle pre-orders and digital sales for awhile now, so this shouldn't be a surprise.

poisonmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By poisonmonkey

@thabigred: @TooWalrus: I noticed this, then I went to my local games store, picked up a boxed version which started straight away after install.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Whitestripes09

Are you sure you're reading this right? I'm on Origin right now looking at it and it only says that the physical copies are temporarily sold out.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By toowalrus

@poisonmonkey: Absolutely- they budgeted for the boxed copies, they know exactly how many of those are out there...

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By mikey87144

Call me stupid but how do you sell out of a digital version of a game?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JasonR86

@mikey87144 said:

Call me stupid but how do you sell out of a digital version of a game?

Exactly. Does it have to do with bandwidth maybe?

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MideonNViscera

It's so they can stabilize the population they already have.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Sooty

Yeah it'll be that. It makes sense to limit the amount of people, if you remember the WoW launch you will be happy they're doing it this way. Holy shit that was broken.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

They said they were doing this months ago. I remember the bombcast calling them liars.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By alternate

Given the queues reported - they were right to limit it at launch but they didn't go far enough.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By granderojo

@Sooty said:

Yeah it'll be that. It makes sense to limit the amount of people, if you remember the WoW launch you will be happy they're doing it this way. Holy shit that was broken.

It seems more like an artificial way to create demand more than a way to keep the servers from going laggy. I mean the maximum player count is already throttled on the servers according to Jeff so yeah. If I can't buy the regular edition online I'm not going to buy the game, it's as simple as that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thabigred You can't create demand by limiting supply, demand is demand. People don't want products more because of a low supply. The only thing that affects demand is quality and price.
    granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By granderojo

@Brodehouse said:

@thabigredYou can't create demand by limiting supply, demand is demand. People don't want products more because of a low supply. The only thing that affects demand is quality and price.

I really wish people were as rational as you make them out to be.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By Renahzor
    granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By granderojo

@Renahzor said:

@thabigred: Read the origin website more closely, you can buy a digital copy, its the PC physical copy selection right below it that is sold out. I love outrage over something that doesn't even exist as much as the next guy, but come on now.

http://store.origin.com/store/ea/html/pbPage.SWTOR_NA?easid=Origin-SWTOR_Web_Hero_BuyNow

Well I feel like an idiot. I mean it said it was sold out so I didn't even think to click buy now...

Well fuck. I wonder how many people are just like me because I've seen people saying this all over the internet.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@Brodehouse said:

@thabigred You can't create demand by limiting supply, demand is demand. People don't want products more because of a low supply. The only thing that affects demand is quality and price.

Apparently you don't live in the same world as us where Apple is a huge tech company.

Demand can absolutely be artificially created. Quality and price have less to do with the success of a product than most of us would like.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thabigred No, you're referring to price. Low supply and high demand can lead to a higher price. But it requires high demand in the first place.

EA can limit SWTOR accounts, but it can't make more people want it without raising the quality or lowering the price.

What they are trying to do is raise the quality here. They can just let everyone buy it now and pocket the 60 dollars, but chances are a lot of them are going to be frustrated with queues and instability that they don't resubscribe in 2 months. If they limit the supply, they avoid a drop of quality that comes with wrecked servers, and provide a better product. The people who didn't get a copy in the first week still will later provided the quality of the service maintains.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rolyatkcinmai No, demand is demand because people want it. People don't want it BECAUSE it's a limited item. They want it because they want it. Because it's in low supply, Apple can raise the price until it ensures maximum sales at maximum profit. But the reason people want the iPad is absolutely not because it's in low supply.

This is simple microec, guys.
    Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By Renahzor

@Brodehouse: read my reply above, they aren't limiting digital copies, its the physical copies via origin that are sold out.

They were limiting special edition copies for a while back about 9 months ago, those also included early game access, I would assume that was the limiting factor. Regardless, they stopped doing that as well.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@Brodehouse said:

@Rolyatkcinmai No, demand is demand because people want it. People don't want it BECAUSE it's a limited item. They want it because they want it. Because it's in low supply, Apple can raise the price until it ensures maximum sales at maximum profit. But the reason people want the iPad is absolutely not because it's in low supply. This is simple microec, guys.

Clearly you have very little grasp on basic economics then. People buy things because they're in limited supply all the damn time.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By MikeFightNight

I caved and bought a physical copy yesterday. This is my first MMO and the only reson I was interested was because I love Mass Effect and Bioware's style of story telling, so far I am really enjoying it. I don't know how this MMO queue stuff works but I picked a medium sized server and have not had to wait at all to play.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rolyatkcinmai I think you should actually take a microec class. Anecdotes about conspicuous consumption aren't relevant. No one bought an iPad because there were few of them. If there were millions of ipads, they still would've bought them. Because they wanted iPads.
    homewrecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By homewrecker
    @Brodehouse said:
    Price effects quantity demanded, not not demand, if we're getting particular. And yes, if people hear that copies of something are running out, it can increase demand. Telling people that there's limited supply would works like advertising, though you're right; just supplying less by itself doesn't increase demand. I'm being kind of nitpicky, but I hope I've clarified this.
    themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By themangalist
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AlexW00d

@Brodehouse said:

@Rolyatkcinmai I think you should actually take a microec class. Anecdotes about conspicuous consumption aren't relevant. No one bought an iPad because there were few of them. If there were millions of ipads, they still would've bought them. Because they wanted iPads.

Dude why do you think limited editions of products exist?

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By granderojo

@themangalist said:

@Renahzor said:

@thabigred: Read the origin website more closely, you can buy a digital copy, its the PC physical copy selection right below it that is sold out. I love outrage over something that doesn't even exist as much as the next guy, but come on now.

http://store.origin.com/store/ea/html/pbPage.SWTOR_NA?easid=Origin-SWTOR_Web_Hero_BuyNow

This thread is needlessly generating hate for EA. I hope it gets locked.

They need better website design or this sort of thing wouldn't happen. This complaint I made is all over the internet.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#28  Edited By Hector

I just checked Origin and they're stil available. It's the physical copies that aren't available.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By themangalist

@thabigred said:

@themangalist said:

@Renahzor said:

This thread is needlessly generating hate for EA. I hope it gets locked.

They need better website design or this sort of thing wouldn't happen. This complaint I made is all over the internet.

I'm pretty sure the "PC Digital Download" is ticked. If the red font is right next to "PC Physical Copy" then I guess it would be better to read. But still we're talking about the internet - complaining is easier than actually reading..

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By mike

Closing this thread, the digital edition isn't sold out, only physical copies from the Origin store are. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.