Early access officially starts on December 13th + Download NOW.

• 84 results
#1 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Post made on the official forums. Early access starts on the 13th, and you can pre-load the client now.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=722196

Early Game Access* for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ is only a few days away! Starting December 13, 2011, The Old Republic will begin emailing invitations to start your Early Game Access. Invitations will be sent throughout the Early Game Access period offering rolling access to the game in the order in which you redeemed your Pre-Order Code, so be sure to check your email inbox!

To ensure that players can get into the game as quickly as possible when their Early Game Access begins, we are now allowing everyone who has redeemed a Pre-Order Code at our Code Redemption Center to pre-load the game to their computer.

In order to download the game client before Early Game Access begins, you need have already logged into your account and redeemed your Pre-Order Code. Once you have done this, you can download the game client by clicking on “My Account” in the upper-right of the window and then click “Pre-Order.” On your Pre-Order page, click the large button that says “Download Game Client” to begin download of the game!

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20111207

Get to downloading!

#2 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

Kessler Run represent!

#3 Posted by Matt (937 posts) -

@Jimi said:

Kessler Run represent!

WORD!

#4 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@Matt: @Jimi said:

Kessler Run represent!

No way. Good Luck Have Bothans REPRESENT!

Did they finish the guild thing yet Matt? I've never gotten an email about it.

#5 Posted by bunnymud (703 posts) -

Looks like the whole joining via guild page is still not working

GLHB 4 LYF....as soon as I can get in the guild

#6 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@bunnymud said:

Looks like the whole joining via guild page is still not working

GLHB 4 LYF....as soon as I can get in the guild

As soon as I know more information I will update the topic. Should be emailing me what server the guild is on before early access starts.

#7 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Yay and stuff.
I played last beta weekend and my launcher did a quick silly patch just now.
I guess that's correct? It says "blabla no active subscription blabla" in the corner, that looks like retail to me.

Anyway, I'm hyped, and pre loading is a good thing!

#8 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Yay and stuff. I played last beta weekend and my launcher did a quick silly patch just now. I guess that's correct? It says "blabla no active subscription blabla" in the corner, that looks like retail to me. Anyway, I'm hyped, and pre loading is a good thing!

Yeah, if you were in the betas from Thanksgiving and up the beta will just patch to launch.

#9 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@CL60: That's one silly small patch then, was done in like 10 mins.
But aight, I won't complain!
#10 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@CL60: That's one silly small patch then, was done in like 10 mins. But aight, I won't complain!

What was the download speed? This launcher seems to be going faster then my internet usually goes. Max I get on Steam is 1.3 mb/s and this launcher is going at 2.7 mb/s

#11 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@CL60: No clue 'bout that, didn't pay much attention.
Suddenly heard the bleep that you're good to go patchwise, download lasted around 10 min I think gathered from my chat logs.

It's probably fine.
#12 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Just got an e-mail with the client download. LET'S GO!

#13 Posted by mosdl (3223 posts) -

Right after my vacation starts. That doesn't bode well for all the house work that needs to be done...

#14 Posted by Funkydupe (3293 posts) -

Great news. I hope I pre-ordered this early enough to get the full 7 days early access. Looking forward to playing a character that won't be deleted.

#15 Posted by NathHaw (2753 posts) -

@Jimi said:

Kessler Run represent!

I shall download the game soon.

#16 Posted by Patman99 (1544 posts) -

I pre-ordered with Future Shop and I still havent gotten my early access code. I emailed them but they said that they havent received any codes yet...

Pretty sure this is the universe telling me to focus on studying rather than SWTOR.... You know what, I hate the universe.

#17 Posted by Matt (937 posts) -

@CL60: I haven't got a email yet either. Probably soon though.

#18 Edited by NathHaw (2753 posts) -

It just now came in for me. They are coming in in the order the codes were received.

Edit: Doesn't matter much. The download is broken right now as far as I can tell.

#19 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@nrh79: Download works fine for me.

#20 Posted by NathHaw (2753 posts) -

@CL60: Maybe it was a Chrome thing. Works with Firefox. Downloading.

#21 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@nrh79 said:

@CL60: Maybe it was a Chrome thing. Works with Firefox. Downloading.

Weird. I'm using Chrome.

#22 Posted by Marz (5608 posts) -

I'm ready.

#23 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@Marz said:

I'm ready.
#24 Posted by adoggz (1953 posts) -

hey guys i have a good idea. lets all stop downloading the new client :D

#25 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1326 posts) -

Either my internet is sucking real bad right now or there are a lot of people downloading the client. My speed has been around 78.56 kb/s.

#26 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@insane_shadowblade85 said:

Either my internet is sucking real bad right now or there are a lot of people downloading the client. My speed has been around 78.56 kb/s.

Weird. I downloaded it at 2.7 mb/s when usually my internet downloads things at a max of 1.2ish mb/s

#27 Posted by Zelyre (983 posts) -

@adoggz said:

lets all stop downloading the new client :D

I read that and thought of this.

Don't worry though. I won't be downloading the client. Not until I'm at the office. At 7:30am, I have... ALL THE INTERNETS. ~12 MB a second. Aw yeaaah.

#28 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1326 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@insane_shadowblade85 said:

Weird. I downloaded it at 2.7 mb/s when usually my internet downloads things at a max of 1.2ish mb/s

Yeah, turns out restarting the client fixes it for me. So, instead of leaving it alone for a few hours and getting little to no progress I could've just restarted it and be almost done with it. The things you learn lol.

@Zelyre Dude, 12 Mb/s? That sounds like heaven. I wish I could afford speeds like that at home.

#29 Posted by Aetheldod (3342 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Yay and stuff. I played last beta weekend and my launcher did a quick silly patch just now. I guess that's correct? It says "blabla no active subscription blabla" in the corner, that looks like retail to me. Anyway, I'm hyped, and pre loading is a good thing!

Yeah, if you were in the betas from Thanksgiving and up the beta will just patch to launch.

Really :D , I was wondering i was to uninstall it .... unfortunately my country wont have the game until Dec 20 (if at all) :(

#30 Edited by Libberate (17 posts) -

I'm pretty excited for this game, I pre-ordered in November so I'm not getting in on the 13th I'm sure, but the now with it starting on the 13th maybe I'll actually get a few days of early access.

Still torn between Operative or Jedi Guardian. Gotta make my mind up.

#31 Posted by sgjackson (527 posts) -

Pre-loading it now. I doubt I get in too early because I pre-ordered in November, but I think I'll get a few days now.

#32 Posted by project343 (2807 posts) -

GLHB4Lyf!

@sgjackson said:

Pre-loading it now. I doubt I get in too early because I pre-ordered in November, but I think I'll get a few days now.

If you break down when/how their pre-order information came out, advertising 5 days of early access in early November, followed by subtly refining that number to 7 days just a week ago... it almost suggests that if you applied your pre-order code at the time that they posted the announcement of 5 days, you'd get 5 days. The extra 2 days could not be advertised as they were strictly intended for those who pre-ordered prior to said advertisement. Perhaps my logic is flawed and probably a mess to understand, but it doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

What I'm saying is that you're probably going to get 4-5 days of early access.

#33 Posted by Funkydupe (3293 posts) -

I'm happy with just a few days, we're talking free game time ahead of launch - anything like this is a nice bonus.

#34 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

I preordered in Oct So I'm hoping to get on by that Friday. Can't believe we are less then a week away from the start.

#35 Posted by frytup (72 posts) -

I'm thinking this is more a clever way to do some final beta testing than a gift to those who preordered.

#36 Posted by bunnymud (703 posts) -

Seems that there are daily updates that the launcher downloads.

Can't hurt to launch it erry day to keep it up to snuff

#37 Posted by Nhoj_Sllew (158 posts) -

i preordered in July so I better get all 7 days! if only i didn' have to work that week...........

#38 Edited by PeepsMcJuggs (4 posts) -

Hey, guys! I'm trying to make everyone that doesn't follow the regular SWTOR forums aware of a major change in the SWTOR launch: there will be NO grace period between early game access and receipt of your hard copy. As the game is not getting delivered to US retailers (including online retailers) until launch day, Dec 20th, a lot of people that preordered are going to experience a gap in service: Amazon is telling some people over a week after launch. As a result, some individuals have already cancelled their CEs and gone to digital download to ensure no gap in service.

I have a lot more detailed info on this matter (including quotes from EA/BioWare), but it's in a TL;DR format you probably don't want to read.

Bottom line, I'm trying to get the word out because EA/BioWare have made no efforts to do so, and it's information that everyone who preordered needs to know.

#39 Posted by PeepsMcJuggs (4 posts) -

Here's the TL;DR version.

In August 2011, while people were in the midst of rushing to preorder Star Wars: The Old Republic, SWTOR Senior Community Manager Stephen Reid publicly stated in the SWTOR forums that

"There will be a period after launch day in which those who have pre-ordered will be able to continue playing before entering their Game Code. More information on this will be made available closer to launch."

(See original post here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=8064577)

The grace period was intended to allow players to continue gaming post-launch in case there was any delays in the delivery of their hard copy. This motivated many users to purchase hard copies of the game, to include the coveted Collector's Edition.

However, as of Wednesday, Reid is now saying:

"There will be no ‘grace period’ post launch in which those who are in Early Game Access will be able to continue to play the game. In order to continue playing past the Early Game Access period, you will need to enter a valid launch game code and payment method. Please read our FAQ for more information. We apologize for any previous messaging which may have led you to believe otherwise." (That's right, he said "led to believe" instead of "flat out told you.")

(see original post, as well as the very heated discussion, here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=724271)

Now there are many individuals that purchased the standard and Collectors Editions that are being told by sites such as Amazon.com that they won't receive their copies over a week after launch, as EA has stated plans to not get the game out to retailers until launch day, to include online retailers (see link above). Essentially, anyone that walks into a store on launch day will be able to pick up a copy before those that preordered months ago.

The bottom line is, as trivial as a few days or a week may sound (or, in the case of overseas customers, several weeks), EA/BioWare essentially misinformed their customers, sold the products under false pretenses, and are now no longer living up to their promises at time of sale. Furthermore, this burns those customers that were looking forward to spending their holiday time playing SWTOR.

As I've said above, there's people that have already cancelled their CE preorders in lieu of digital downloads to ensure no interruption in service...however, I've been pointing out that this benefits EA and burns the retailers, as you are now purchasing the game directly through their proprietary service.

#40 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@PeepsMcJuggs: Call me blonde, but as long as you have entered your digital code now can you just start playing when the access starts until your first month is over? Or do I need to add a gamecard to my account before I can even access the early access and continue playing?
#41 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

Bunch of QQ.

#42 Posted by ohthejawsoflife (59 posts) -

is there going to be like a community clan or anything started? that would be sweet if there was im pumped to play this game

#43 Posted by project343 (2807 posts) -

@ohthejawsoflife said:

is there going to be like a community clan or anything started? that would be sweet if there was im pumped to play this game

There's already two guilds ready to go. Kessler Run (PVP), and Good Luck Have Bothans (PVE). Check the SWTOR subforums for more info. :P

#44 Posted by Zimbo (875 posts) -

@PeepsMcJuggs:

#45 Posted by ohthejawsoflife (59 posts) -

@project343: score thanks im so going to join one of them probably the PVP one lol

#46 Posted by Ursus_Veritas (383 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
@PeepsMcJuggs: Call me blonde, but as long as you have entered your digital code now can you just start playing when the access starts until your first month is over? Or do I need to add a gamecard to my account before I can even access the early access and continue playing?
On the 20th you'll be required to input your product key code to carry on playing (and thus starting your 30 days free access). The issue of having no grace period for some is that their deliveries won't come until after that, so they're essentially cut off from playing the game until their discs arrive.
#47 Posted by Matt (937 posts) -

@ohthejawsoflife: @project343: Actually we took a vote and I changed Kessler Run to PvE. Mainly because we thought it would be cool to have both guilds on the same server. Saying that, as the GM of Kessler Run I will be encouraging PvP as much as possible!

#48 Posted by blitzkriegblizzard (196 posts) -

Awesome so I get to fail my exams starting from the 13th, not just the ones 17th onwards. Great ;( .

#49 Posted by Masin (131 posts) -

Now. If only I can figure out a way to quit my job but still make the money to play that game....

#50 Posted by FateOfNever (1758 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Neither. The breakdown is like this - Pre order and you get a digital code you get to give them that grants you early access. Come the 20th, however, your early access is over and you cannot play the game at all until you enter your product key (which comes with the retail copy of the game, unless you went for a digital version through Origin, then you're ok.) So come the 20th, unless you have a copy of the game in hand, you cannot play the game, regardless of whether or not you had early access and have the game pre-ordered (and bought by that time.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.