Free extra month for active level 50 players

#1 Edited by Octaslash (484 posts) -
A SPECIAL GIFT FOR OUR LEVEL 50 PLAYERS – 30 DAYS OF PLAY TIME ON US!
As a thanks for being one of our most valued players, every active account with a Level 50 character as of April 12th, 2012 at 12:00PM CDT / 5:00PM GMT, will receive thirty (30) days of game time** in appreciation for your support and loyalty.
In order to receive your thirty (30) days of game time, you must meet the following requirements by April 12th, 2012, at 12:00PM CDT / 5:00PM GMT:
  • You must have purchased the game and redeemed an official Game Product Registration Code at the Code Redemption Center.
  • You must have signed up for a recurring subscription using a valid payment method OR redeemed a Game Time Code.
  • You must have at least one level 50 character.
  • Your account must not be banned.

Source: http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20120412-1

They're also giving a Tauntaun pet to everyone who has an active account tonight and letting people with lapsed accounts play from the 13th to the 19th. This seems pretty desperate, but they sure got me thinking about resubscribing. Anyone else going to jump back on?

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Octaslash said:
A SPECIAL GIFT FOR OUR LEVEL 50 PLAYERS – 30 DAYS OF PLAY TIME ON US!
As a thanks for being one of our most valued players, every active account with a Level 50 character as of April 12th, 2012 at 12:00PM CDT / 5:00PM GMT, will receive thirty (30) days of game time** in appreciation for your support and loyalty.
In order to receive your thirty (30) days of game time, you must meet the following requirements by April 12th, 2012, at 12:00PM CDT / 5:00PM GMT:
  • You must have purchased the game and redeemed an official Game Product Registration Code at the Code Redemption Center.
  • You must have signed up for a recurring subscription using a valid payment method OR redeemed a Game Time Code.
  • You must have at least one level 50 character.
  • Your account must not be banned.

Source: http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20120412-1

They're also giving a Tauntaun pet to everyone who has an active account tonight and letting people with lapsed accounts play from the 13th to the 19th. This seems pretty desperate, but they sure got me thinking about resubscribing. Anyone else going to jump back on?

I have a trail account. I just right now can not afford to pick up the game. I wish I could buy a code stright from amazon but they do not allow JUST codes. 
#3 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

PLEASE DON'T LEAVE US!

#4 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

Seems cool but I have 3 level 30's and no level 50's :(

#5 Edited by FateOfNever (1814 posts) -

I think it's kind of awful that they're giving a free month to only people with a 50. You could have five level 49 character's and "too bad, we don't give a shit about you, you're not VALUED or LOYAL enough for a free month. This dude that has one level 50 and only one level 50 and no other character though, we're all right with him, he's down with us." Maybe that's just me being bitter about being an alt-o-holic though.

#6 Posted by Patman99 (1558 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

PLEASE DON'T LEAVE US!

I love the game but this is also the feeling I get from it...

#7 Posted by pubbles (140 posts) -

Well I haven't played since the end of February, but I'm still paying for the damn thing..

Guess I'll give it a shot.

#8 Posted by Kidavenger (3502 posts) -

I wonder what the math is on number of day one subscribers without level 50s that are now pissed off vs. level 50s that were going to quit but for this move that will allow them to play a game they are bored or unhappy with for another month.

#9 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

@FateOfNever said:

I think it's kind of awful that they're giving a free month to only people with a 50. You could have five level 49 character's and "too bad, we don't give a shit about you, you're not VALUED or LOYAL enough for a free month. This dude that has one level 50 and only one level 50 and no other character though, we're all right with him, he's down with us." Maybe that's just me being bitter about being an alt-o-holic though.

If you had 5 level 49s why at no point wouldn't you just get one up to level 50? But anyway there are a lot of people who only run one character. I think this is actually aimed at them, people who got bored with the end game content. They want to draw them in and show them all the new legacy stuff. It's a good idea but it does suck for people like us who have multiple characters, i have 3 level 30's for example, who play the game a lot but just haven't gotten to level 50 yet.

#10 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

@Patman99 said:

@BrockNRolla said:

PLEASE DON'T LEAVE US!

Or perhaps it's a marketing move aimed at players who have played through all the end game content and have thought about moving on. Showing them now they have all this new content and this new legacy system to play around with. Cause all the subscription info and what not has been pretty good coming out of EA.

I know its fun for internet types to call doom and gloom, especially for this game, but it seems to just be rolling right along.

#11 Posted by cabelhigh (244 posts) -

I played that game over the free weekend and it was honestly a bit like torture...those massive cities with no one in the, running endlessly from one end to the other...bad stuff. Make a better game and maybe I'll jump back in!

#12 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

I was under the impression the game was doing very well.. but that's definitely not the impression I'm getting from these free trials/free weekend events/bonus trials/comeback specials/whatever else they're handing out.

How's the user base doing? Everyone I know quit after either the headstart access or first month ran out.

#13 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1724 posts) -

The ship continues to sink.  
How long to F2P, I wonder. 

#14 Posted by adoggz (2037 posts) -

let me try and sum up the reactions to this. Bioware is giving some people some playtime WAHHHH I quit from this game and/or tor is dying because bioware is giving out some free time.

#15 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Shame I already left, but at least they're doing something, that's good.

I'm still waiting on Blizzard to recognize my account that's been there and mostly active since the first beta.

#16 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@devilzrule27

@Patman99 said:

@BrockNRolla said:

PLEASE DON'T LEAVE US!

Or perhaps it's a marketing move aimed at players who have played through all the end game content and have thought about moving on. Showing them now they have all this new content and this new legacy system to play around with. Cause all the subscription info and what not has been pretty good coming out of EA.

I know its fun for internet types to call doom and gloom, especially for this game, but it seems to just be rolling right along.

Don't try to bring logic into a thread about TOR
#17 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1724 posts) -
@CL60 said:
@devilzrule27

@Patman99 said:

@BrockNRolla said:

PLEASE DON'T LEAVE US!

Don't try to bring logic into a thread about TOR
Y-yeh man I mean B-B-Bioware is doing s-s-so good they can j-just g-give away subscriptions, s-suck it t-t-trolls..
#18 Posted by FateOfNever (1814 posts) -

@devilzrule27 said:

@FateOfNever said:

If you had 5 level 49s why at no point wouldn't you just get one up to level 50? But anyway there are a lot of people who only run one character. I think this is actually aimed at them, people who got bored with the end game content. They want to draw them in and show them all the new legacy stuff. It's a good idea but it does suck for people like us who have multiple characters, i have 3 level 30's for example, who play the game a lot but just haven't gotten to level 50 yet.

Well, it's a hypothetical situation, but could be an actual situation (ok, probably not, but I could also see someone that has a character sitting at 49 that just didn't get to 50 a day earlier.) You're probably right though. Like I said, it's probably just me being bitter about having two 40's range characters that I never took to 50 simply because the person I play with decided that he'd rather play Imperial side to the end of chapter 1 instead of finishing the republic characters we had first, so despite me having two 40 range characters, a 20 character, and a couple of 10 characters, I'm considered "less loyal and valuable" than someone that has a 50. So I acknowledge that part of it is me being bitter about them so narrowly defining who fits into their "loyal" fan base and who they deem worthy enough to give a free month to despite the fact that I may have put in more time with TOR than any percentage of the people that do have a level 50 character. I'd just take my tone with a grain of salt of me being annoyed/frustrated about getting cut out of a free month because of a play style choice and not take it as me being *that* actually angry.

#19 Posted by Godzilla_Sushi (1084 posts) -

@FateOfNever said:

Nooooo! Come on, you've gotta draw the line somewhere. You know that! 50 seems reasonable to me. It's not taking anyone's time away, just letting everyone who reached 50 get a little piece of the pie. Better hit 50 before the next time! :D

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

The ship continues to sink. How long to F2P, I wonder.

If you take the internet's word for it, then sure, I'd think that to. But I really have fun and I'm paying into the pot. More then you can say for a lot of these kinds of games. How long to F2P? Give me the inside scoop! What do you know that I don't?! ;)

#20 Edited by Octaslash (484 posts) -

They know 50s are the ones who are most likely to quit.

"Your call is very important to us..."

Anyway, I've been on the phone with Bioware trying to get my security key removed from my account (I switched phones recently). I've been on hold for 30 minutes and robot versions of Dr. Ray and Greg have reassured me that my call is important... 8 times. It's not the end of the world, but it sure does make me appreciate Blizzard's quick and efficient customer service.

Edit: 40 minutes in, the first guy who answered (I'm guessing he was Indian) could not understand me. I speak with a relatively clear American accent. He transferred me and now I'm on hold again. Robot Dr. Ray still has my back though.

Edit2: Okay, got it done in 51 minutes.

#21 Posted by winsol (73 posts) -

It's a nice thing to do for their most loyal players. Kinda sucks for me though, my top level character is 45, so near yet so far :(

#22 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

@adoggz: you forgot the part where they insert guild wars 2 advertising.

#23 Posted by ajamafalous (11845 posts) -

I don't think I would've played again anyway, but only giving it to active accounts is pretty lame.

#24 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot: your probably gonna get banned for that.

#25 Posted by BisonHero (6140 posts) -

This does seem like an incredibly transparent player retention attempt aimed specifically at end-game players.

But the interesting part is that it's so short term. Assuming all of these people were close to unsubscribing, what happens when this free month runs out? Unless there's some massive PvP update or something else hugely significant added in the next month, this just seems like they're giving a free lunch to a bunch of players who are still going to quit anyways.

#26 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

@BisonHero: they added in patch 1.2 today also.

#27 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

This does seem like an incredibly transparent player retention attempt aimed specifically at end-game players.

But the interesting part is that it's so short term. Assuming all of these people were close to unsubscribing, what happens when this free month runs out? Unless there's some massive PvP update or something else hugely significant added in the next month, this just seems like they're giving a free lunch to a bunch of players who are still going to quit anyways.

They just did a massive patch that adds a ridiculous amount of stuff.

#28 Posted by BisonHero (6140 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid: @CL60: Ah, thanks, that makes more sense now.

Does 1.2 actually add enough that the endgame and/or PvP are likely to be considerably more enticing to level 50 players? For longer than the free month? I haven't played the game at all, but I'm curious if people think this patch will be enough to really interest people.

#29 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

@BisonHero: new pvp map, legacy system, new raid, guild banks and some other stuff were added.

#30 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
I don't think I would've played again anyway, but only giving it to active accounts is pretty lame.
How far in did ya get? 
#31 Posted by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -

Can not believe how lucky I got with this promotion. For some reason I decided to sit out the last 2-3 levels and hit 50 yesterday and finally managed to get my Inquisitor to 50 around midnight last night and logged off shortly after. Seeing that email today. Man did I ever get lucky with the timing of that.

#32 Posted by Wuddel (2079 posts) -

Hitting 50 is really easy as long as you have a buddy with you all the time. My best 2 WoW buddy switched over (after not playing WoW for 4 years) and brought another one with them. And we rushed right through it hitting 50 well before 100h played. Its been a blast and the update looks REALLY good. Would be a shame. Though I guess all games are fun played with friends.

#33 Edited by ajamafalous (11845 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:

@ajamafalous said:

How far in did ya get? 
Had a 50 and two high 30s. Quit when 1.1 came out (like 2-3 days before the first month was over) because I didn't like the way BioWare mismanaged the release and subsequent problems with that patch. I'm sure some people will say I'm an idiot for that, but that's just the way I handle myself with products. I'm not going to support a company that I don't have faith in and am comfortable standing behind. It's the same reason I didn't subscribe to GB until they stopped holding the Bombcast ransom.
#34 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

It annoys me how eager I was for this game to come out. I made it to level 28.

#35 Posted by Jayzilla (2555 posts) -

I got my email the other day. Super stoked to get another free month. So far, this will be my second free month as I got a free month when I bought the game. For BW to do this for their loyal players is really cool.

#36 Posted by Ares42 (2570 posts) -

I saw the news, thought about re-installing to check it out again for about 10 minutes, but then I remembered why I quit in the first place.

#37 Posted by SagaciousJones (143 posts) -

Looks like they expanded the terms after the flood of complaints

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=410458

First, you need to have passed Chapter 1 to unlock your legacy. Examples of how to get to Legacy Level 6 include:

• A pair of characters Level 45 and 42
  • A trio of characters of Levels 45, 32 and 32
  • A bunch of characters Levels 35, 33, 31, 29 and 20
  • A single 50th level character that has enjoyed the endgame for a brief time
#38 Posted by Grimluck343 (1148 posts) -

Bought the game at launch, leveled to 10, never played it again. Cancelled my sub the day before it was set to renew, the next day I had an email from BioWare stating that my account was being banned for botting and exploiting. Because, you know, I botted my way to level 10, obviously.

Pretty much removed any desire I had to play another BioWare game ever again.

#39 Posted by BiG_Weasel (524 posts) -

The only explanation for this is what's been said over and over, and is the biggest gripe about SWTOR: No end-game. Once you've hit the level cap, done the raids a couple dozen times, there's nothing there for you to do- so why stick around? This is purely a way to artificially inflate those subscriber numbers to show investors, "See! People stick with us! We're doing well!". Its PR, and nothing more.

#40 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

4 months on they're begging for resubs? Poor show.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.