Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Good Crew Skills for a Mercenary?

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By SmasheControllers

After reading the Codex entries for the crew skills, I can't really decide what crew skills to choose. What crew skills would be good for a Mercenary Bounty Hunter?

The only one I could really decide on was Armstech.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Armstech, Scavenging and underworld trading would be my recommendation.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Silver-Streak

Bounty Hunter's first companion (Mako), has a bonus to Cybertech which reduces the time it takes to craft.

Because you have Mako for a long time before gaining your 2nd companion, taking any other crew skill would likely make you have a much lower skill at said CS before you got to a companion with a bonus on it.

IE: Between an IA and BH who both take Armstech, and put the same amount of time and effort into it, the IA will always be ahead of the BH in Armstech Skill Level due to its 10 Armstech efficiency bonus from its first companion.

Unfortunately, BH has the lowest number of Crew Skill bonuses from Companions out of all of the Classes, as well.

You can check out crew skill companion bonuses here

Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Ulain

@Irvandus said:

Armstech, Scavenging and underworld trading would be my recommendation.

Sadly from what I have been reading, Armstech, Armortech, Synthweaving, are all pretty terrible for the time being.

There's too much moddable armor/weapons to get much use out of making these items. Operations (raids) aren't dropping schematics to make the best of the best; that stuff will just be directly off the bosses anyway.

They can still change that obviously, but strictly speaking right now, you'll get more use out of Biochem for reusable stims (healing and buffs) and Cybertech for grenades and, I think, some of the best earpieces still come out of it.

That or take all gathering skills and just sell everything you find.

P.S. Don't take Slicing.

Crypt135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Crypt135
    Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By SmasheControllers

Armstech, Scavenging and Investigation?

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By metal_mills
    @SmasheControllers said:

Armstech, Scavenging and Investigation?

Get slicing instead of investigation. That way you'll have lots of money for your mount and other stuff.
    Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Silver-Streak

@Metal_Mills: Slicing was nerfed last week. It now produces negative results instead of gains from the crew missions, and the spawn rate of lockboxes in the world was reduced by about 50%, apparently.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By metal_mills
    @Eujin said:

@Metal_Mills: Slicing was nerfed last week. It now produces negative results instead of gains from the crew missions, and the spawn rate of lockboxes in the world was reduced by about 50%, apparently.

Wrong. Pick "rich" or "bountiful" lockbox missions and you'll be raking it in. Earned around 100,000 Cr yesterday from it. 50,000 Cr today.
    Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Silver-Streak

@Metal_Mills: So..uh, I'm not sure how to say this politely, but you're mistaken, or bugged.

There is a 200 page thread on the crew skill forums with data on the pre and post nerf numbers.

It is currently impossible, even on the old numbers, to make 100k in a day. Crew missions on the tier below 400 Slicing(320) for rich and bountiful take 30 minutes a pop. Maximum reward on old numbers was 4000 return on a 2000 credit job (so 2000 profit). Maximum reward on new numbers is 2800 return on a 2000 credit job (800 profit)

On old numbers, even slicing 24 hours a day, and getting the maximum reward each time, you're not going to hit 100k profit. On top of that, even if you're sending out all of your companions, the mission list only refreshes when the first person sent out returns. Meaning you're only going to have 1 rich lockbox mission, and /maybe/ one bountiful lockbox mission as well, while the rest will be moderate/abundant until the first person returns.

On the new post-nerf numbers, you're not even going to come close to 30k, much less 50.

And currently rich/bountiful 400 tier slicing lockboxes actually give lower profit then the 320 skill ones. (6000 return on a 4300 mission on old numbers, 5000 return on a 4300 mission on new numbers. And these missions are on 40 minute to 1 hour timers, so less profit per minute, and even less possible to hit 50k/100k in a day).

Edit: Changed some verbiage that was inflammatory.

Double Edit: Also, the new "success rate" for lock boxes(IE: Positive returns) has been reduced to about 50% of it's old rate. It has gone from a 75% success rate to a ~40% one.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By metal_mills
    @Eujin said:

@Metal_Mills: So..uh, I'm not sure how to say this politely, but you're mistaken, or bugged.

There is a 200 page thread on the crew skill forums with data on the pre and post nerf numbers.

It is currently impossible, even on the old numbers, to make 100k in a day. Crew missions on the tier below 400 Slicing(320) for rich and bountiful take 30 minutes a pop. Maximum reward on old numbers was 4000 return on a 2000 credit job (so 2000 profit). Maximum reward on new numbers is 2800 return on a 2000 credit job (800 profit)

On old numbers, even slicing 24 hours a day, and getting the maximum reward each time, you're not going to hit 100k profit. On top of that, even if you're sending out all of your companions, the mission list only refreshes when the first person sent out returns. Meaning you're only going to have 1 rich lockbox mission, and /maybe/ one bountiful lockbox mission as well, while the rest will be moderate/abundant until the first person returns.

On the new post-nerf numbers, you're not even going to come close to 30k, much less 50.

And currently rich/bountiful 400 tier slicing lockboxes actually give lower profit then the 320 skill ones. (6000 return on a 4300 mission on old numbers, 5000 return on a 4300 mission on new numbers. And these missions are on 40 minute to 1 hour timers, so less profit per minute, and even less possible to hit 50k/100k in a day).

Edit: Changed some verbiage that was inflammatory.

Double Edit: Also, the new "success rate" for lock boxes(IE: Positive returns) has been reduced to about 50% of it's old rate. It has gone from a 75% success rate to a ~40% one.

Well I've been constantly sending multiple members off to do slicing, as soon as they finish, I sent them off again. I had around 20,000 Cr, that guy I ended with 118,000. Ok, let's say 20,000 was from other stuff I did. 10,000 was some stuff I sold(it was less than that) That's still 70,000. I'm sending them off so much, only on high earning lockbox missions that I'd be stone flat broke by now if I was blowing that much money. I've currently at around 180,000. Unless a couple of missions netted me an unexpected fortune, slicing is the only way. No, it IS the way because I see it rising as I'm doing it. 

And that success rate is bull. I'm getting a lockbox 90% of the time. I think yesterday I had 3 failed ones.

I don't look at stats or forums. All I'm doing is slicing, lots and lots and lots of slicing. 100% of the time I'm in the game.
    Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Silver-Streak

@Metal_Mills: @Metal_Mills said:

And that success rate is bull. I'm getting a lockbox 90% of the time. I think yesterday I had 3 failed ones.

The success rate wasn't for mission failures. The success rate is for getting a lockbox that has more credits in it than the cost of the mission. (IE: A 1800 credit lockbox from a 1900 credit mission is not a success, but the mission is still sucessful)

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By metal_mills
    @Eujin said:

@Metal_Mills: @Metal_Mills said:

The success rate wasn't for mission failures. The success rate is for getting a lockbox that has more credits in it than the cost of the mission. (IE: A 1800 credit lockbox from a 1900 credit mission is not a success, but the mission is still sucessful)

So I've currently got 180,000+ in my pocket from just solo missions(and not all of then, not by a looong way) in the last 7 levels(25-32)? That's deducting repairs(500-3000), skills(up to 15,000 a pop now), plus slicing which is considered a money sink? Well, this game is sure happy to throw cash my way.
    Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Silver-Streak

@Metal_Mills: And you did all this slicing after Wednesday's patch? How much of your income was before then? Regardless, you appear to be the outlier, or the exception to the new rule. Which is great.

Also, you should have near 200k by 32 through questing, so I'm not sure how much of your income is from what.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By metal_mills
    @Eujin said:

@Metal_Mills: And you did all this slicing after Wednesday's patch? How much of your income was before then? Regardless, you appear to be the outlier, or the exception to the new rule. Which is great.

Also, you should have near 200k by 32 through questing, so I'm not sure how much of your income is from what.

All of it. I spent all my money on skills, mount training and a mount. I basically had 10,000 then the patch came out. I'm going to test it tonight. Make a note of how much money I put in and got back. I'll do 6 lockboxs and see if I come out on top or not.
    Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Silver-Streak

@Metal_Mills:

Awesome. The more info the better.

I would much rather it end up being something like: Bioware patched slicing, and a majority of the player base is bugged so their returns are way below what they should be.

Rather than: Majority of players have the right returns per Bioware, but you're bugged.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dezztroy

You definitely still make a profit from slicing, but not nearly as much as you do from just questing. Doing almost all of Belsavis, exlcuding heroics, took a few hours. I earned about 300k from it.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By metal_mills
    @Eujin said:

@Metal_Mills:

Awesome. The more info the better.

I would much rather it end up being something like: Bioware patched slicing, and a majority of the player base is bugged so their returns are way below what they should be.

Rather than: Majority of players have the right returns per Bioware, but you're bugged.

Spent: 2025 - Made back: 3110

1250 - 2071

1175 - 1629

2200(approx) - 7200 (approx)

Plus got one purple crew mission and one blue crew mission.

Profit 7360 + items.
    Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Silver-Streak

@Metal_Mills: Thanks for the numbers. I did some testing today for about 4 hours.

Spent: 13960 (total) - Made Back: 12495 (total)

1190 - 1592

2150 - 1534

1250 - 1124

2230 - 1999

1250 - 1651

1250 - 1097

2320 - 1596

2320 - 1902

I had another mission in here that was a failure, but I didn't remember the cost, so I didn't include it.

I got 1 blue crew mission, but it only went for about 500 credits on the GTN on Lord Praven.

All in all, I lost about 1500 credits.

Either way, no one at Bioware has responded to anything, so we'll see if they're expecting people to have net loss, net gains, or breaking even with these. Thanks for giving me the info, though.

Edit: Also, some of my costs listed there were estimates, as after a while, I only kept a running total of my costs (The rewards back are accurate, though).

Double also: We totally steered this topic off course. Apologies to SmasheControllers. Look into Cybertech if you want to get a head start from Companion Skill Bonuses, Armormech if you want a late (around level 40) start from skill bonuses, or Armstech if you really want it (The same level 40 companion has a +1 bonus to Armstech, as compared to a +10 bonus to Armormech).

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By defaultprophet

@Eujin said:

I got my slicing up to level 4 and it seems to pay out again. At least most of the time

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.