Hey, Are You Still Playing Star Wars: The Old Republic?

#601 Posted by Kidavenger (3625 posts) -

@subyman said:

Supposedly there are 1.7 subs, so I think there are plenty of people still playing. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2012/02/star-wars-the-old-republic-snags-17-million-subscribers.html

That's as of December 31st, i.e. every one of those 1.7 million subscribers are still on the first month that is included with the game. It'll be interesting to see where the numbers are at March 31st.

#602 Posted by Pop (2650 posts) -

I wanna see how many subscribers they have in march :D. I love how Jeff says he isn't an MMO guy but he's played Guild wars, WoW, Phantasy star online, DC universe online, those are the ones I can think of, I know he hasn't done it for long periods of time but I think he should realize that he is the MMO guy in the office :).

#603 Posted by el_tajij (718 posts) -

I love Star Wars: The Old Republic because I'm playing it really casually. It's not a hardcore MMO in the slightest, and that's exactly what I love about it. Just gonna keep paying and keep playing til I get bored. No strings attached.

#604 Posted by ShadyMarino (72 posts) -

@DaBuddaDa said:

Saberhagen? Fuckin' gold.

This.

#605 Posted by jillsandwich (760 posts) -

To hell with playing for MMOs that aren't WOW. The last MMO I paid for besides WOW was Star Trek Online, and I've been playing that a lot lately for free anyway.

On another related note, fuck Star Wars.

#606 Posted by cavemantom (217 posts) -

@LandHawk said:

That's still not as pathetic as WoW's desperately weeping orc peon.

Remember when every game used to do this when you tried to -exit- it? "Don't go; the drones need you. They look up to you." "I wouldn't leave if I were you, DOS is much worse."

At least MMOs want our money; old games just wanted us to starve to death playing them.

We must be living in a pretty crazy time if I can't tell which of those goals is more respectable...

#607 Posted by joachimo (200 posts) -

I played it actively in the free month I got, now I'm back to WoW - to each his own I guess..

#608 Posted by Ariketh (606 posts) -

@aku said:

i dont see anything wrong with that email. its the same email every company sends to get you to play their game. its a marketing email. i dont see it as being more "gross" than the other ones. i received one from wow, final fantasy, and matrix back then when i quit.

Yeah. This type of email isn't news to me either. I'm more surprised that Jeff is surprised by it.

#609 Posted by ZombieHobbit (8 posts) -

I'm ahead of the game; quit before I even started playing.

#610 Posted by Whoompthereitis (1 posts) -

I've never played an MMO before but I bought this and had decent fun getting to level 15. Haven't touched it in weeks though, not sure if I'm gonna go back. As much as I like the game, I think it made me realize once and for all that MMOs just aren't for me...

#611 Posted by HansKaosu (757 posts) -

No.. I only lasted 2-3 days.

#612 Posted by Jimbo_N (1197 posts) -

I am still playing it. But I am pretty sure I would be done now if it wasnt for the bunch of people I know still playing it. Starting to feel like I've gotten what I need out of the game by now.

#613 Posted by BombaLuigi (167 posts) -

i still play it, mainly the pvp part... im starving for new warzones tho.

#614 Posted by sommer.derek@gmail.com (32 posts) -

I cancelled my account so I guess my companion moved on

#615 Posted by Slow_pC (248 posts) -

I do still have my account setup but the time I have been playing it has been slowing down ... and my guild of nearly 70 active members at launch seems to have just become me since I have been the only one on each time I am on everyday.

Still have a bit more on my time card but I did get a lot of enjoyment out of the game up front.

#616 Posted by vikingdeath1 (1003 posts) -

Until I saw this story a few days ago I really Did forget about SWTOR..... and the fact that i'd rather continue play FFXIII-2 than try starting a new class that I haven't tried (only started one Bounty hunter) should say something.. But hey, anyone know how the BH story compares to the rest? cause I kinda hate it, and it's alot of the reason I forgot about the game, but if its no worse than any other...

#617 Posted by Tekkor (30 posts) -

Im still playing. Have a level 50 Scoundrel on republic side obviously. Have about 9 friends that started game with us at launch. Down to about 3 actually playing now. As Republic we get hammered on Warzones. We cant do dailies on Ilum because the Empire always holds middle area. You dont get any reward for taking other objectives like say Warhammer did.

If your not running Hardmode instances the gear sucks. The Champion bags randomness sucks.

There is like 4 of us left playing but last night for instance after losing like 9 warzone matches in a row to empire geared in tier 3 gear that half of them got during the Ilum exploit.....2 friends logged out in frustration. We are barely hanging on.

#618 Posted by PositivelyGreg (74 posts) -

I was intrigued by Jeff and Brad's metric that the number of people dissing the game and bragging about quitting must be a sign that the game's failing. I mean, it makes sense, right?

Except... the degree of this kind of forum traffic about ToR is highly reminiscent of the noise in comment threads for any news post about WoW for the past four years. Or the degree of wrath launched at Nintendo for quite a bit of the Wii's lifecycle. Or rhythm games for the window when they were successful. Or, say, the Sims when it was more at its peak of relevance.

I kind of think there's something there. You can probably set up a "hate index" and it might correspond awfully well to the success of products. That doesn't even necessarily have any relationship to whether they're good, and of course it's not specific to videogames. Hell, Ron Paul would love to be doing well enough that people feel any need to talk trash about him.

The bottom line, though, is that if you're seeing people bother to say they're done with a game, leaving it, brag about how few minutes they played before quitting in disgust, declaring how Guild Wars 2 will be better (which has been the standard criticism of MMOs for about three years now)... that's actually a sign that the game's still relevant and successful enough for people to bother talking about it.

The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

Oh, and - the Bounty Hunter storyline gets a little better in the third act, but of the characters I've played it's the weakest. I absolutely adore the writing and story of the Agent class, which is just dripping with spy thrillers and dramas... part Bourne, a lot of (early season) 24, and some great conspiracy stuff. I think part of the success there is telling a somewhat non-Star-Wars-y story in the Star Wars setting Friends have said good things about Inquisitor and Trooper in particular as well.

#619 Edited by knightlyknave (119 posts) -

I'm still playing. I have a 43rd level Gunslinger and three alts ranging from levels 15-23. I have to say that the early game is the best, late game gets more glitchy and the grind gets more monotonous. I enjoy levelling up quickly and receiving incentive to continue in the form of new abilities. So I'm getting a little bored of my Gunslinger, but I've started to play my alts in earnest. I still have the entire Empire story line to do.

Story is my main draw besides levelling so once I have my gunslinger at 50 and one empire player (probably my inquisitor) at 50 I think I'll be done. This is my first MMO and I don't plan on doing senseless equipment grinding or PVP end game.

I'll likely be back if there's an expansion that ups the level cap though and gives more story.

#620 Posted by SiN13 (240 posts) -

After 2 weeks I was bored and canceled my account. This comes from someone who has played years and years of Warcraft so it's not like MMO's aren't my thing.

#621 Posted by dvorak (1497 posts) -

I played obsessively for a little over a month and had like 2 weeks of gametime. I ended up taking a vacation (a real vacation) right after that and had the rest of the guild I started go ahead and do all the hardmodes and endgame stuff without me while I was gone. The thing that shocked me though, is that I really didn't care about missing out on that stuff at all. I played tons of PVP and as far as the Smuggler storyline is concerned, I wrung it for all it was worth.

Sure, I'll definitely come back down the road and try a new class/faction, but it's going to be 3-4 months at least before I even think about it. Custom UI is almost going to be a requirement, too.

#622 Edited by Onced (109 posts) -

@Kidavenger:

Just adding a quick note to what you said, MOST of the 1.7 million are actual paying customers, and are off the free trial month. They've retained up to 85% of their initial launch numbers, which is rather decent for an MMO. Like you, I'm interested in seeing where the game will be. I hope it'll do well.

Just a few sources:

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/19915-electronic-arts-q3-fy12-earnings-call

"Let me offer some metrics on purchase and subscription that will help you understand this business. As John stated, we have sold through two million units of the game since December. We currently have a little over 1.7 million active subscribers. The rest have either not started playing yet or have opted out." - Frank Gibeau, President of EA Labels.

#623 Posted by cursormonkey (29 posts) -

I got the collector's edition and haven't gotten around to playing yet but since finding out that Revan is in The Old Republic (and after the disappointing ending of the book Revan which put him in this position) I'm not sure if I'm ever going to play it.

I would've prefered an end to Revan's storyline in the book considering the game is set 300 years after kotor and for The Old Republic to follow on from the events of the kotor games rather than shoehorning Revan back into this.

#624 Posted by Anathem (127 posts) -

I just got one of those emails a minute ago and I still have an active account. Looks like they send it if you haven't logged on in a while. Apologies if someone has already said this.

#625 Posted by Brodehouse (10125 posts) -

@cursormonkey said:

I got the collector's edition and haven't gotten around to playing yet but since finding out that Revan is in The Old Republic (and after the disappointing ending of the book Revan which put him in this position) I'm not sure if I'm ever going to play it.

I would've prefered an end to Revan's storyline in the book considering the game is set 300 years after kotor and for The Old Republic to follow on from the events of the kotor games rather than shoehorning Revan back into this.

And from someone who has played all the flashpoints in TOR, the Republic flashpoint that involves Revan is maybe the best one in the game.

I'm also maybe confused... are you claiming they're not following from where the KOTOR games left off? The inclusion of a single character ruins everything else?

#626 Posted by outerabiz (666 posts) -

havent logged in in a month or so, but im still subscribed.

Does that count?

#627 Posted by kiyseph (26 posts) -

I've stopped playing it and thinking about cancelling my subscription for now. Falling into the same routine as with every other MMO I've played (not playing as often and end up paying for something I stopped using) Same as Jeff, never much of an MMO guy, got to Hoth with my Bounty Hunter, and just lost my motivation to keep playing. I think the most amount of time I've spent playing the game was the one week I got off from work.

#628 Posted by cursormonkey (29 posts) -

@Brodehouse: Revan is one of my favourite game characters and I feel like it's a cheap use of that character in a game that's set 300 years after the original appearance.

I wouldn't have had any problems if TOR was set maybe 20 to 40 years after KOTOR but in my opinion having Revan in this feels a bit cheap, like they're trying to wrap up the Revan storyline in game in any way they can.

#629 Posted by Extreme_Popcorn (842 posts) -

I was so looking forward to this game, played the beta and got even more stoked for it. Played the ass off it but now I've not played more than 20 minutes in a couple of weeks and have no desire to play more. For all the things that aren't like WoW, it's still an MMO game with levelling, quests and different planets (zones) and it's not different enough from WoW to beat the fatigue I have from playing WoW for so long.

I might come back to it in a few months or during the summer but for now I'm cancelling my sub.

#630 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4796 posts) -

@cursormonkey said:

@Brodehouse: Revan is one of my favourite game characters and I feel like it's a cheap use of that character in a game that's set 300 years after the original appearance.

I wouldn't have had any problems if TOR was set maybe 20 to 40 years after KOTOR but in my opinion having Revan in this feels a bit cheap, like they're trying to wrap up the Revan storyline in game in any way they can.

This is the same problem I had when I found out he was in the game. Personally, I think the way he's treated in TOR is utter shit and just a sad attempt to appease KOTOR fans, of which I am one of. I almost imagine the writers at Bioware smiling when the finished writing his part and were all like, "see? we haven't forgot! we're still cool! If you liked KOTOR then you'll absolutely love this game because it has that cameo we all know you want!"

#631 Posted by BLKZOMBIE (129 posts) -

Un-fucking-fortunately, yes I am. I have no idea why.

#632 Posted by Barrock (3553 posts) -

I unsubscribed because I just wasn't playing. If they hadn't emailed me telling me to play the game I may have kept the subscription.

#633 Posted by LP_Gamer (3 posts) -

@BrockNRolla: lmao

#634 Posted by doublezeroduck (277 posts) -

Desperate-looking email?

How about the one you sent me about extending my subscription? That was just as desperate, wouldn't you say?

Glass houses and all that.

#635 Posted by TimbreOctave (1 posts) -

It's really dangerous to get into this conversation with a Star Wars freak currently playing TOR. Their face will scrunch up and they will go stone cold, as they quickly transform into "Yes, I'm a long time Star Wars zealot despite a decade of weird prequels and retro-activated George Lucas tampering/tweaking, so anything -- and I mean anything -- negative you say about the Star Wars franchise will be vehemently attacked and deflected" mode.

It's just not possible to elicit any objectivity in a true blood Star Wars zealot.

Hell, even speaking to a SW junkie that recently quit TOR and returned to RIFT, one of the most frequently updated titles of 'this generation' of MMO, the person still dropped into Zealot mode to defend the game they deliberately quit -- almost apologetically. Do not disturb the Force in an absolute SW zealot or you will open an enormous can of worms.

Folks that were somehow profoundly touched by the movie franchise as children and young adults, and cannot be swayed from viewing it as the pinnacle of science fiction whether it's in film, novel, comic, or video game format. And the number of zealots out there is so massive that TOR can count on a sort of 'baseline' stable subscriber level for likely years to come.

#636 Posted by Jackel2072 (2279 posts) -

well i started playing. last weeks free weekend hooked me. LONG LIVE THE EMPIRE!  

#637 Posted by neutral22 (1 posts) -

=) I preordered the game, I played it in beta ,and I'm still playing it, my number one favourite MMO to date

*jumps back online, rp'ing*

#638 Posted by Kidavenger (3625 posts) -

The game's on sale through origin for $34.44 until May 6th; guess what's on the 7th...

EA earnings call!

Wonder if they will tell their investors that everyone is playing the game for free right now?

This game is really popular! Great job EA!

http://store.origin.com/store/ea/html/pbPage.SWTOR_NA get some.

#639 Posted by Giantstalker (1725 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

The game's on sale through origin for $34.44 until May 6th; guess what's on the 7th...

EA earnings call!

Wonder if they will tell their investors that everyone is playing the game for free right now?

This game is really popular! Great job EA!

http://store.origin.com/store/ea/html/pbPage.SWTOR_NA get some.

As bad as that may seem, they're still probably going to do better than Nintendo.

TOR is not a bad game, contrary to popular belief, just an incredibly expensive one. Did it justify the expense? Although enjoyable, I wouldn't foot that kind of bill, but that's just me.

#640 Posted by kilaen (16 posts) -

I played for 4 days and then uninstalled it. 100hrs? You had more to love about the game than you let on.

#641 Edited by Kidavenger (3625 posts) -
#642 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Jeff, you can't just leave that fine 'Twi'lek ass. Get back in that game right now! On topic though, WoW killer indeed.

#643 Posted by StingingVelvet (574 posts) -

This was my first real MMO experience, based largely on the Bioware name and my love for KoTOR. Holy shit the way they ruin the gameplay to try and make you play a long time is disgusting.

I quit when the first story arc was over.

#644 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2699 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

@Giantstalker:

If better than Nintendo means that they are losing more money consistently; then yes you are amazingly correct EA is better than Nintendo.

2009 EA lost (1,088,000,000) (that's billion bucks)

2010 EA lost (677,000,000)

2011 EA lost (276,000,000)

page 60 http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/1832030780x0x481441/B553C9C1-EBFB-4E7F-A05F-26FD9960A910/Electronic_Arts-2011.pdf

Right, so like he said, they're probably still going to do better than Nintendo.

If we assume the trend continues in that direction (or hell, even if they lose the same amount they did in 2011), they've still done better than Nintendo's half billion loss.

No reason to be a dick. What he said is factually accurate.

#645 Posted by huntssman (7 posts) -

Im looking to get into it as it looks like a fun game

#646 Posted by MannyCalavera (105 posts) -

I'm still playing, i really enjoy it. It's a shame i'm the only one playing from my guild. The other guys quit. So i'm playing it like if it was a single player game, because i can't find any "randoms" to do some heroics or flashpoints :(

I would enjoy having some company, i don't care if i have to play in European or American servers.

#647 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@Kidavenger said:

@Giantstalker:

If better than Nintendo means that they are losing more money consistently; then yes you are amazingly correct EA is better than Nintendo.

2009 EA lost (1,088,000,000) (that's billion bucks)

2010 EA lost (677,000,000)

2011 EA lost (276,000,000)

page 60 http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/1832030780x0x481441/B553C9C1-EBFB-4E7F-A05F-26FD9960A910/Electronic_Arts-2011.pdf

Right, so like he said, they're probably still going to do better than Nintendo.

If we assume the trend continues in that direction (or hell, even if they lose the same amount they did in 2011), they've still done better than Nintendo's half billion loss.

No reason to be a dick. What he said is factually accurate.

Nintendo has enough cash in the bank that they could take losses similar to what they took this past year for many years to come, but that's assuming that they continue to lose money. Remember, this is the first time that Nintendo has posted a financial loss in thirty years. They don't make a habit of this, unlike some companies.

#648 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2699 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@Kidavenger said:

@Giantstalker:

If better than Nintendo means that they are losing more money consistently; then yes you are amazingly correct EA is better than Nintendo.

2009 EA lost (1,088,000,000) (that's billion bucks)

2010 EA lost (677,000,000)

2011 EA lost (276,000,000)

page 60 http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/1832030780x0x481441/B553C9C1-EBFB-4E7F-A05F-26FD9960A910/Electronic_Arts-2011.pdf

Right, so like he said, they're probably still going to do better than Nintendo.

If we assume the trend continues in that direction (or hell, even if they lose the same amount they did in 2011), they've still done better than Nintendo's half billion loss.

No reason to be a dick. What he said is factually accurate.

Nintendo has enough cash in the bank that they could take losses similar to what they took this past year for many years to come, but that's assuming that they continue to lose money. Remember, this is the first time that Nintendo has posted a financial loss in thirty years. They don't make a habit of this, unlike some companies.

I, like Giantstalker, was making no comment on the financial prowess of either company.

The fact remains that a $500+ million loss is worse than a $276 million or less loss.

#649 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@Hailinel said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@Kidavenger said:

@Giantstalker:

If better than Nintendo means that they are losing more money consistently; then yes you are amazingly correct EA is better than Nintendo.

2009 EA lost (1,088,000,000) (that's billion bucks)

2010 EA lost (677,000,000)

2011 EA lost (276,000,000)

page 60 http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/1832030780x0x481441/B553C9C1-EBFB-4E7F-A05F-26FD9960A910/Electronic_Arts-2011.pdf

Right, so like he said, they're probably still going to do better than Nintendo.

If we assume the trend continues in that direction (or hell, even if they lose the same amount they did in 2011), they've still done better than Nintendo's half billion loss.

No reason to be a dick. What he said is factually accurate.

Nintendo has enough cash in the bank that they could take losses similar to what they took this past year for many years to come, but that's assuming that they continue to lose money. Remember, this is the first time that Nintendo has posted a financial loss in thirty years. They don't make a habit of this, unlike some companies.

I, like Giantstalker, was making no comment on the financial prowess of either company.

The fact remains that a $500+ million loss is worse than a $276 million or less loss.

Again, this is the first year in three decades in which NIntendo posted a financial loss. And losing roughly $500 million in one year is far better than losing nearly $2 billion over the course of three years.

#650 Posted by Giantstalker (1725 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Again, this is the first year in three decades in which NIntendo posted a financial loss. And losing roughly $500 million in one year is far better than losing nearly $2 billion over the course of three years.

My comment was never about a complete comparison of EA and Nintendo. Just that EA's next loss, whatever it'll be, will probably be less than Nintendo's.

What you're saying is absolutely correct, but it's also not really what I was talking about. Ah well...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.