Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Hey, Are You Still Playing Star Wars: The Old Republic?

SpudBud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

wapostyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#102  Edited By wapostyle

If you are playing this game you need to take a step back and ask yourself:

"What the fuck am I doing?"

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#103  Edited By Jeffsekai

@CilliaBlack said:

@Jeffsekai said:

@CL60 said:

Hey Jeff, you know emails like that are common for MMOs? ... Blizzard sends them all the time.

Nope, it's news.

You guys are all aware this is just as much an editorial site as a news site right? Hell, if not more.

Not everything that goes on the front page has to be HOLY SHIT BREAKING NEWS MODERN WARFARE CANCELED FOR LIFE!!!!!

So it can have content that is just a dude talking about something he found weird about a video game. Though it is definitely true mmos send out stuff like this often.

I must have missed the article about Blizzard constantly sending people e-mails begging them to come back.

Veriwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#104  Edited By Veriwind

Kinda wondering why this is a big deal. I think it's more creative than "Come back to our game and you can play it again!"

mrsmiley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#105  Edited By mrsmiley

My fiancee and I have put around 160 hours into the game, and are both still at around level 42. Seriously, there is SO MUCH to do in this game. It's freaking awesome. It's certainly not a perfect game by any means, but we've been enjoying ourselves from the very beginning.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#106  Edited By nohthink

lol That e-mail is actually really funny

morose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#107  Edited By morose

Yup. Still playing, and still enjoying it. About to hit 50 on my first character (Sith Warrior) and I've been impressed with the story telling. I skipped any missions that didn't catch my fancy and didn't feel like I needed to grind gear or do power crafting to enjoy the game and still be a viable character, which I liked a lot. Planning to play through as an Imperial Agent next, and will then probably put it away. We'll see... there's a fair chance I may not make it through an entire second play through, but since I do it in bitesize chunks (30-60 minutes here and there), the game stays pretty fresh.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By SlashDance

I finished act 1 with 2 characters, Jedi Knight and Imperial Agent. That's about 6 days of play time if I'm not mistaken.

I was pretty stocked about this game when it came out and bought a 2 months game time card, which I don't regret since I can see myself playing off and on for the next month or so, but after that, I think I'm done for now.

I really want this game to expand and get better though. I hope they make me want to come back and finish those stories, because I kinda want to see act 2 and 3. I enjoy the class stories, but what killed my motivation was the fact that you spend more time on uninteresting side stuff. It even gets worse on each planet. Yeah Alderande, you're pretty big, but what's wrong with Tython ? It's not like it's FF XIII in there or anything. Why the need to have a giant desert with nothing in it ? I don't even want to see Hoth after what I've heard.

So basically I want to play this game when it reaches the wow stage of "yeah, we kinda want you to pay for those expansion so how about we make the level up process take way less time than it used to".

42manZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#109  Edited By 42manZ

I am, however I started a couple of weeks late. My enthusiasm is starting to die down. When I had a winter break it was easier to put in 5 or 6 hours and i feel like I accomplished something. Now it seems less so, that 2 hours of week isn't getting me anywhere story wise. The Bonus series missions are a waste of time. I don't do Heroics or Flashpoints. I like the space stuff though. It's not deep, nor is it TIE Fighter (Though I wish it was!) but it's a fun distraction from the rest of the game. Though should I really need distractions?

bbrcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By bbrcher

That email is almost exactly the kind of email you get from Zynga if you stop playing their Facebook games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still playing, but I'm waiting for a good chunk of free time to actually dive back in.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Grimluck343
    PompousDawson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#113  Edited By PompousDawson

Still rocking my level 31 Jedi Shadow. Tatooine is really boring though and I hope they get a new LFG quest system in place to find partners, as general chat BLOWS!

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#114  Edited By me3639

Why is it such a crime if people are just having fun playing a game? 

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Funkydupe

I didn't receive one of these emails. I guess they don't want me back. :*(

No Caption Provided
    querky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By querky

For myself i got a character to 50 in about a month, did lose most of my momentum during 40-50 so one might say mmo-fatique is in full effect. I do have some friends playing and I hope we can try some of the lvl 50 FP together. For now I let my account be renewed, mostly because i'd really like this game to succeed. The game has some major flaws that i never got over though, mostly it has to do with the instancing. I'm one of those assholes whose fondest memory of playing WoW was the opening of AQ with a huge part of the server in the same zone, flashing around at 5 FPS, huge latency and then the server crashed, got back up shortly, then crashing again because most ppl was trying to log in at once. I just don't see things like that happening in TOR. You might say I feel like i don't have any choice (which is funny because of how they marketed this!), it's either buy all this noncence VO'ed quests and hope that there are some good ones in there (like my Class quest of IA was mostly awesome, the ending notwithstanding, and Imperial planet questline on Taris), or go home.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By mordukai

@habibyjohnson said:

dont care bout star wars?!

Is it that hard to get? I also don't care about Star Wars. I enjoyed Empire as a movie but that's about it. IMO Star Wars is an overrated, over-bloated bubble gum pop sci-fi created in order to satisfy it's creator's desire to get into the toy business.

CilliaBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By CilliaBlack

@PompousDawson said:

Still rocking my level 31 Jedi Shadow. Tatooine is really boring though and I hope they get a new LFG quest system in place to find partners, as general chat BLOWS!

A dungeon finder system totally ripped right out of wow would go a long way to making me interested in the game again.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#119  Edited By demonbear

@Ubersmake said:

Still playing, but I'm waiting for a good chunk of free time to actually dive back in.

This, quite simply. We don't have 100hours to give to an mmo. At least not those with kids you know? Its a slower process for us.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Cataphract1014

Hey, I just got an e-mail from Age of Conan, they want me to play their game!

And I got one from champions online! And one from World of Warcraft! And one from Aion!

jjd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By jjd

I'm surprised at how well a 90s-era MLB pitcher's name fits in with the Star Wars universe. Then again, "Eckersley" or "Hentgen" would probably be alright choices too. On topic though, this is a pretty lame campaign.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Vodun

I'm not playing it like an MMO, I'm playing it as a co-op single player RPG and I'm still having fun.

iPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By iPliskin

"... and I sure as hell don't care very much about Star Wars". Stopped reading right there.

Tsai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Tsai

That email would've been much better if they dressed Vette in Leia's slave girl outfit. Then the "eagerly awaits your return" would make much more sense.

demonssoulfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By demonssoulfood

Yeah I am, never could get into WOW. Enjoying this much more..and yes I know that probably makes no sense as a lot of the mechanics are stripped from WOW. I find the plot portions more appealing.

BadOrcLDR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By BadOrcLDR

I've got 18 units of class. No SWTOR for me, but if I had the time outside of college I would easily play SWTOR some more. I'll probably go back once the semester is over.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#128  Edited By project343

@HadesTimes said:

Still playing, not every day, but still playing.

This.

Slowed down a bit, but I'm still super interested to see how the different classes' stories turn out.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By koolaid

"You know what? I don't think I've ever seen a more pathetic-looking attempt at player retention."

You clearly do not work in social games.

the_unabomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By the_unabomber

The best part about this news post is the national lampoon image :-)

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Funkydupe

@iPliskin: He bought a Star Trek subscription for LIFE though, so yeah... xD hahaha

yeahimjordan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By yeahimjordan

I just cancelled my sub today....truly dont have the time to enjoy this game that it deserves. I put in approximately 50 hrs, and lvled a Smuggler and Bounty Hunter to 20.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#133  Edited By Kidavenger

@Vodun said:

I'm not playing it like an MMO, I'm playing it as a co-op single player RPG and I'm still having fun.

I think you have the right idea, I was really mad at this game from the beta for it not being a good MMO, but I think if you go into this playing it like a regular non-MMO game you could have some fun with it. I'll give it another shot one of these days...

DedBeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By DedBeet

Still paying but haven't played lately due to my Skyrim addiction. It is something I'll pick back up and play as it's a game I'm playing with my wife. If Vette sends me an email, the picture better have her wearing that little slave dancer number I last saw her in.

chaihazuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By chaihazuki

I really love it, it's a great game, but I don't plan to hit the level cap on more than my main character, so I'll probably stop playing in a month or so.

regs79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By regs79

Still playing, still enjoying. Got my Smuggler to 42 and have a smattering of lower level alts.

I basically only play on weekends though, so I may not have played enough yet to hit this "wall".

In any case I doubt these emails are reactionary, they would surely have been in the can months ago. Given the strong "curiosity sales" there was bound to be some drop off.

I'd feel more comfortable judging the game in 6-12 months time, every MMO needs time to find they're footing.

PS. If you want to see desperate emails, unsubscribe from Netflix some time. Talk about needy.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By devilzrule27

Play it every couple of days. Still enjoying it. And at least on my server there are always people on.

isles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#138  Edited By isles

Intermittently, yes. SWTOR was my first MMO and so when I tried Star Trek I hated it immediately. The voice acting sells that game completely for me. I can tolerate the fetch quests and the MMO design/world/combat because the voice acting and genuine player choice makes it. I feel like without those two aspects this game would be barren of anything interesting to me.

jondan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#139  Edited By jondan

Yep, still playin', not even close to 50 yet and giving no fucks. Some of the class stories are fantastic (some.. not so much) so endgame can wait, possibly forever.

satansmagichat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By satansmagichat

Have you never quit an MMO before? Why is this strange?

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By jozzy

I unsubbed after 3 weeks, it ran like dogshit on my laptop. Besides the 10-20 fps I did enjoy it though, but never as much as I enjoyed WoW when i played that.

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#142  Edited By DarkbeatDK

There is a certain big-brother thing to it.

Whipped up an alt recently and got a mail saying "Hey! You made it to level 10! Here's the advanced classes you can select"

MalkavTheClown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#143  Edited By MalkavTheClown

Never Bothered with it in the first place. We need a new approach to the MMO. What SWOR did has already been done countless times before. just a different back drop. ahh well.. as long as people enjoy playing it right?

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#144  Edited By huntad

It's a little silly to become 'grossed out' by something like that. I don't play the game, but I've played other MMOs that sent me messages like that. It's not really that big of a deal.

TickTechBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By TickTechBoom

I'm still playing and I love it. I'm a huge altoholic and if I'm playing an MMO, I'm leveling up a character. Once I get to max level, I start another character. Call me crazy but that's what I love doing in MMOs.

The reason I usually un-sub from a game is because I get tired of the questing. The addition of the voice acting and a main story line for each character is enough for me to not get bored of it in this game. So as long as I have a new character to level, I'll probably stay subscribed.

I'm also a big Star Wars fan and the Old Republic era is my favorite era in the Star Wars universe. So that helps me like it even more.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By FateOfNever

Yup. Still playing it. I can't say that I've enthralled by the game or anything. There are a lot of subtle things that I really dislike about the game (i.e. getting knocked off of your mount if you get hit at all, which greatly discourages exploration because it's not so much exploration as it is trudging your way through swaths of enemies, and really, really bad placement of datacrons on Republic side vs Empire side) but I know that MMO's take time to get any kind of real smoothing out to them. I mean, people look at WoW now and think of it fondly with how great it is, but it took that game a long time to get rid of some stupid shit (only being able to mail one item at a time, for example) so I try not to be too down on it.

At the same time, the only real reason I'm still playing is because I have a friend that's still enjoying it a good bit and we pretty much play together just about any time we play, so, having someone to share the experience with helps a lot.

Avatar image for nyctriggerhappy
    NYCTriggerHappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By NYCTriggerHappy

Still playing. Not perfect, but I still love playing it.

zzzleepy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By zzzleepy

Yup I am and still enjoying it.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#149  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Here a thought Jeff. It's a fucking joke! Jesus not everything is a sinister plot to get your money! Fuck sake.

DoctorLazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By DoctorLazy

Shit, it's been a week since we ran a negative article about TOR, better get on that!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.