Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

How is the crafting in SWTOR?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mike

I haven't seen much discussion here about the crafting systems in SWTOR...I'm on the fence whether I want to even try the game or not at this point. I haven't been able to follow it's development at all over the last couple of years, so I really know next to nothing about it. I was a huge fan of SWG when it first came out, and I think I spent more time gathering and crafting in that game than anything else, so those elements are pretty important to me. It's one of the things I really felt WoW lacked back when I was playing it...crafting was not appealing to me at all because everyone crafted identical items, the only difference between players were whether they had a certain recipe or not. It really made me long for a crafting system as deep as Star Wars Galaxies had, where every ingredients' stats for every component contributed to the final stats of the item you were making, and players became known for their quality food, weapons, armor, whatever. I don't expect SWTOR to have a system as deep as that, but just wanted to give you an idea of my experience and what is fun to me. 

My main questions are: 

1. How deep is the crafting in SWTOR? Can you compare it to either World of Warcraft style crafting or old school SWG crafting, or is it somewhere in between? 

2. How do you think the player economy is going to work, and how will player-crafted items fit into the economy overall? 

Odeeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Odeeze

last time i played the beta was about four months ago, but when i was playing the crafting system was more like wows if i remember right. it might have even been worse then wows but i cant really remember too much about it. how the crafting is gonna work in terms of player economy i imagine will be almost identical to that of wows. in the idea of a couple really good crafted pieces at max rank that will sell pretty high but that is about it. i dont know how accurate this information will be cause like i said i never really paid much attention at all to the crafting.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By tekmojo

Questions I'd like to know as well. 

Anyone know if it is too late to preorder to get the head start?

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Marz

um... it's not a traditional crafting system....  you get crew skills, then you can send your crew out to gather materials and craft items for you...  but it kinda works like wow, if you have the materials, recipe and the skill, then your companion can craft it for you.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Pinworm45

Here's how it works.

There's 3 types of crew skills: Gathering, Crafting, and Missions. You can have 3 total, and it can be any combination with one rule: Only one crafting. So you can have 3 gathering, 3 mission, 2 gathering & 1 crafting, one of each, etc.

Gathering is basically gathering from WoW: Click stuff to gather stuff. Get mats.

Crafting is also similiar.

Missions are kind of what they sound like, you send your companion on a mission, that can take several hours (this works out of game too, so it progresses while you're offline).

Gathering and Missions both contribute items used to craft, although gathering gives more. Missions have other benefits (some offer light/dark side points, money, schematics, consumables, etc)

But the best part is, these skills apply to all of your crew. So, for example, let's say you take Biochemistry, Bioanalysis, and Diplomacy. you can send 3 of your five crew members on Diplomacy missions, which will bring you medical supplies, money, and some light/dark side points. They do this whether you're online or off, or whether you're on your ship or not (they leave your ship to do it). You can also, while in the world, command the last member in your ship (5 crew members, 4 on the ship, one with you) to craft - remotely, on your ship, while you're questing or doing a flashpoint or whatever.

Then, you can have your companion who's questing with you scavenge for you (or bio-analyze, in this example). So while you kill stuff, they'll run up and get matts from you, instead of you having to do it yourself after every kill like in WoW.

Alternatively, have all 5 craft at once! or all 5 on missions! Etc.

It's a pretty cool system.

@tekmojo said:

Questions I'd like to know as well. Anyone know if it is too late to preorder to get the head start?

You'll still get the headstart, but you probably will only get 1 or 2 days. The later you pre-order, the less of a headstart you get - but you DO get a headstart.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By tekmojo
    @Pinworm45: Roger that, just preordered, I had the client installed from the beta so hopefully it's all downloaded.
    Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Floppypants

I didn't play SWG, but I know WoW.  One way TOR differs from WoW is in how most rare recipes are learned: reverse engineering.  Reverse engineering is destroying your crafted items to possibly learn new, better recipes.
    So, say you're a Biochem and can make the Compact Medpac.  Each Compact Medpec you reverse engineer has a chance of teaching you the Prototype Compact Medpac recipe.  Each Prototype Compact Medpac you reverse engineer has a chance of teaching you the Reusable Compact Medpac recipe.  You're going to have to focus your effort and materials towards that one item if you want it.
    If you want to have that "I'm the best Biochem on the server!  I'm a unique snowflake!" feeling, I don't know how that's going to pan out until I see a lot more of the game.

Besides that though, as others have mentioned, crafting feels significantly different by how it's handled by your companions.  The most hands-on you get is when you're out in the game world and stumble upon gatherable materials; otherwise everything happens behind the scenes.  During the beta, it helped me feel productive even when I wasn't doing anything directly.  I could be sitting at my desk eating lunch and gathering crafting mats simultaneously.  Your companions will even work when you're logged off, so it gives you a reason to check in even if you only have enough time to give them orders.  I loved it in that regard.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By mike
    @Pinworm45@Floppypants:  

Thanks guys...it definitely sounds compelling! At the very least, the crafting in SWTOR seems to have a bit more depth and breadth than WoW. 

On a SWG crafting tangent, since you never played it, this is how it was in the beginning: 

Say you want to craft an Ion Rifle. You had to create an item schematic that was then loaded into one of your factories, and then load enough of the correct components from your schematic into the factory, hit start, and then the machine would start cranking out however many you wanted and have enough materials for. Here's the cool part, though: 

Let's further assume a rifle consisted of a Barrel, a Rifle Core, and a Scope. You had to create and craft each one of these items and THEN use them to create the schematic for your rifle, along with several other resources like metals, chemicals, etc. Each component that went into the final build had various stats that were dependent on the resources you used to make them...and resources were generated procedurally. Part of being a successful weaponsmith, chef, or whatever, was either gathering the very best resources that you needed, or paying someone to do it for you. Resources would spawn randomly out in the wild, and the resource fields would vary in area and density. It was a whole game in itself going out and finding the best materials. Sometimes, a chemical or metal would spawn and it would have just the right properties to build an amazing rifle barrel, or scope, or whatever. Once that particular named chemical variant was exhausted, it was probably never going to come back - which meant the schematics and items you made using that combination of chemicals was done forever once your current stock of resources was depleted. A new schematic with a new combination of resources had to be made, with new components. The system was so deep, the best crafters on each server quickly singled themselves out because the quality of their items was obviously leaps and bounds better than what anyone else could create. I remember there were people who specialized in creating different types of armor, or a certain weapon or two, and had shops set up (with NPC vendors) and could ask essentially any price they wanted for the best item available on the server.  

It was tons of fun. I had two characters, one I went out and killed stuff with and the other was a chef. That's all he did, and I became known for having the best buff food on the server and was making millions of credits every day. I had people supplying me resources, my shop was all set up, so I would just log on to him once a day or so and check the shop's inventory, crank out more pies or whatever, and then go back to the other character. 
    neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By neoepoch

I'd say that it at least takes a lot of the grind out of crafting and gathering. Instead of you having to go out and spend time doing it, send your companions! It frees up that time letting you quest or do flashpoints, raids, warzones...etc.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By project343

@MB:

I recommend watching this video, as it covers the crafting system incredibly thoroughly and clearly:

1. At the core of the Crew Skills system, you'll see something that is reminiscent of World of Warcraft's recipe-book crafting style. But I think Bioware adds a fair bit of nuance and complexity to make the experience far less brain-dead for the aspiring crafter. For instance, the more your companions like you, the faster they'll craft. Or, every appropriate crafting profession has the ability to reverse-engineer their specialized type of item, gaining some of the materials back in the process. Reverse-engineering a crafted item has a chance to net you a more powerful schematic of the same item. Practical example: leather bracers (green quality) may gain you leather bracers (blue quality). Reverse-engineering those blue-quality bracers may even net you a purple-quality version of that same item. The bracers will still have the same core stats, but they'll be scaled in power to suit the new rarity level. This all amounts to a simple, heart-warming fact for avid crafters: if you invest the time into it, you may find yourself walking around in purple gear while levelling.

2. It's tough to say how the base weapon/armor crafting will work out. Giving purples to low-level item crafters may make things incredibly interesting. But I think with the modification system, given that items scale to the main mod put in them, Cybertech crafters will be stinking rich. If a player finds a customizable piece of gear that they love, they can theoretically keep outfitting it with new mods and it'll scale all the way from level 10 to level 50 because of this scaling system.

Also, the idea of forcing the 'I MUST EAT EVERYONE' Khem Val companion to slave over a sewing machine all day: priceless.

Also also, as an ex-SWG crafter, I feel your frustration with how crafting has turned out. I will say that this system is by far the most refreshing crafting system that I've seen in a modern-day theme-park MMO. I just hope you aren't expecting a Jump to Light Speed space game. It's fun, diversionary, and nets you some pretty fat XP, but it's nothing more than a solid Starfox clone. That said, it has been hinted at that Bioware has a significant project underway to alter/improve the space game in some meaningful ways.

Example of this reverse-engineering rarity/schematic upgrading business:

Might Hilt 2 (green)

Might Hilt 2 (blue)

Advanced Might Hilt 2 (purple)

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I liked the crafting system soooo much better then WoW's. Having your companions able to do stuff while your doing a run or questing or logged off or just doing nothing is soooo much better then WoW in every way. There is no comparison.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.