Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Impressions so far

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Edited By lethalki11ler

Hey Bombers/Bothans/Peeps, I have been playing a lot of Star Wars the Old Republic over the past few days and decided it was time to maybe post my impressions so far after having finished Act 1 of my storyline and being level 32/50. Going to keep it short and direct to just cover the important points and maybe help out people that are still undecided about getting the game or not.

I am one of those that even though I got invited to the beta I have still waited to play until the main game came out. I would have loved to help in the beta and all but realized late that it’d be better to keep the experience fresh and not have any past experience in the game. I found out that it was a great idea after all because I heard a lot of people talking about how they now wanted to rush content because they had already seen it all in the beta and how the main experience was boring because they had gone through most of it already. Well I was going through it all-new and it felt great.

I started a Jedi Consular on the Mind Trick server and named him Roxas, I’m a big Kingdom Hearts fan so it seemed like a no-brainer, also reserved the name Sora and Riku for future use, I was sad to see that Kairi was already taken but whatever. I of course joined the guild Good Luck Have Bothans and met some pretty cool people in there. The social aspects of the game can still be improved, at the moment guilds are basically a chat with nothing else. I know WoW just implemented guild rewards and all but I thought it would have been nice to have made something for it already, as a pre-emptive thing. What would have I wanted? How about a spaceship for a guild? Like a guild hall from Guild Wars, we would fly there with our ship and dock in our guild space ship. It’d grow depending on the amount of people in the guild and also based on the level of the guild (Leveling up a la WoW or maybe just paying for upgrades a la Guild Wars).

The economy is still brand new but I’m seeing a rise in the use of the Galactic Trade Network (GTN) and it feels great to see that an economy is already establishing itself. Not a lot of level 50s on our server but it’s getting there and I feel that only when we have more will the economy truly flourish with more people having free time to craft and put their items in the GTN. I cannot explain how excited I am about the development of this in-game economy.

The economy is heavily reliable on crew skills that allow a lot of crafting that is then posted on the GTN. The crafting system is great, it’s really lazy but feels great nevertheless. I love having the ability to craft while on missions and all. The amazing thing about it too is that no longer will you have that problem where you level faster than your skills and have to go back to certain areas to gather some goods. I don’t think I made myself clear there so let me explain. For example, in World of Warcraft, imagine I was level 30 but my blacksmithing or mining was only appropriate to level 20s, I wouldn’t be able to mine nodes in my level 30 zones and would be forced to either go back to those zones or to buy the crafting materials from the Auction House. Glad that’s over, the new system makes it way easier and allows to focus on the most important aspect of this MMO… the story.

To be honest, the only story I have been experiencing so far has been the one of the Jedi Consular. I have been playing up to level 32 and have just finished the Act 1 of my story and can’t wait to continue. Let me explain quickly how this story has been going. A dark plague has been affecting great Jedi across the galaxy and I have to find a cure and go to each respective Jedi (stationed on different planets) to cure them from their curse. The story started strong, I was really invested in it BUT it slowly got boring. I mean the concept was great but the thing is that, after rescuing/curing the first 2 Jedi, I was already looking forward to finding out who was the culprit and actually fixing this problem. My prayers got fulfilled later on when the “finding the Jedi and curing them” phase ended and a proper development to the story happened. The end of act 1 got me really excited for the second act that I just started. Great start already and really happy about what’s happened in the universe. I am yet to try any other classes so can’t judge their story yet. I love that they all have different stories, it lengthens my playtime by infinity. I don’t feel like creating another character just yet, I invested a lot of time in this Jedi Consular and feel really enticed to keep going all the way to the end of the story. Reaching level 50 is great but I feel like keeping on going even more just to see how the story ends.

Conclusion for the moment? I feel like I could keep talking about this game forever. I have been anticipating it for a long long time but still find myself super happy to have purchased this game. I loved the KOTORs and Bioware games in general plus I love Star Wars and MMOs. I feel like this game has been made for me. Great feeling and can’t wait to jump back into the game later on this afternoon.

On this note, Merry Christmas to all of Giantbomb, hope you all got Star Wars the Old Republic, if you did make sure to join the guild and ask for any help if required.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#1  Edited By lethalki11ler

Hey Bombers/Bothans/Peeps, I have been playing a lot of Star Wars the Old Republic over the past few days and decided it was time to maybe post my impressions so far after having finished Act 1 of my storyline and being level 32/50. Going to keep it short and direct to just cover the important points and maybe help out people that are still undecided about getting the game or not.

I am one of those that even though I got invited to the beta I have still waited to play until the main game came out. I would have loved to help in the beta and all but realized late that it’d be better to keep the experience fresh and not have any past experience in the game. I found out that it was a great idea after all because I heard a lot of people talking about how they now wanted to rush content because they had already seen it all in the beta and how the main experience was boring because they had gone through most of it already. Well I was going through it all-new and it felt great.

I started a Jedi Consular on the Mind Trick server and named him Roxas, I’m a big Kingdom Hearts fan so it seemed like a no-brainer, also reserved the name Sora and Riku for future use, I was sad to see that Kairi was already taken but whatever. I of course joined the guild Good Luck Have Bothans and met some pretty cool people in there. The social aspects of the game can still be improved, at the moment guilds are basically a chat with nothing else. I know WoW just implemented guild rewards and all but I thought it would have been nice to have made something for it already, as a pre-emptive thing. What would have I wanted? How about a spaceship for a guild? Like a guild hall from Guild Wars, we would fly there with our ship and dock in our guild space ship. It’d grow depending on the amount of people in the guild and also based on the level of the guild (Leveling up a la WoW or maybe just paying for upgrades a la Guild Wars).

The economy is still brand new but I’m seeing a rise in the use of the Galactic Trade Network (GTN) and it feels great to see that an economy is already establishing itself. Not a lot of level 50s on our server but it’s getting there and I feel that only when we have more will the economy truly flourish with more people having free time to craft and put their items in the GTN. I cannot explain how excited I am about the development of this in-game economy.

The economy is heavily reliable on crew skills that allow a lot of crafting that is then posted on the GTN. The crafting system is great, it’s really lazy but feels great nevertheless. I love having the ability to craft while on missions and all. The amazing thing about it too is that no longer will you have that problem where you level faster than your skills and have to go back to certain areas to gather some goods. I don’t think I made myself clear there so let me explain. For example, in World of Warcraft, imagine I was level 30 but my blacksmithing or mining was only appropriate to level 20s, I wouldn’t be able to mine nodes in my level 30 zones and would be forced to either go back to those zones or to buy the crafting materials from the Auction House. Glad that’s over, the new system makes it way easier and allows to focus on the most important aspect of this MMO… the story.

To be honest, the only story I have been experiencing so far has been the one of the Jedi Consular. I have been playing up to level 32 and have just finished the Act 1 of my story and can’t wait to continue. Let me explain quickly how this story has been going. A dark plague has been affecting great Jedi across the galaxy and I have to find a cure and go to each respective Jedi (stationed on different planets) to cure them from their curse. The story started strong, I was really invested in it BUT it slowly got boring. I mean the concept was great but the thing is that, after rescuing/curing the first 2 Jedi, I was already looking forward to finding out who was the culprit and actually fixing this problem. My prayers got fulfilled later on when the “finding the Jedi and curing them” phase ended and a proper development to the story happened. The end of act 1 got me really excited for the second act that I just started. Great start already and really happy about what’s happened in the universe. I am yet to try any other classes so can’t judge their story yet. I love that they all have different stories, it lengthens my playtime by infinity. I don’t feel like creating another character just yet, I invested a lot of time in this Jedi Consular and feel really enticed to keep going all the way to the end of the story. Reaching level 50 is great but I feel like keeping on going even more just to see how the story ends.

Conclusion for the moment? I feel like I could keep talking about this game forever. I have been anticipating it for a long long time but still find myself super happy to have purchased this game. I loved the KOTORs and Bioware games in general plus I love Star Wars and MMOs. I feel like this game has been made for me. Great feeling and can’t wait to jump back into the game later on this afternoon.

On this note, Merry Christmas to all of Giantbomb, hope you all got Star Wars the Old Republic, if you did make sure to join the guild and ask for any help if required.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By project343

Great write-up. There are so many classes I want to play through in SWTOR, and the Consular is certainly up there. Wish I could pause time...

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By joshth

Just got the game today and started my Sith Warrior character and am having an absolute blast. Great blog and Merry Christmas! :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.