Item commendations and weapon modifications (questions)

#1 Posted by bobcat1794 (279 posts) -

It says item commendations can be traded at special vendors for items but so far i havent figured out how or atleast havent seen a vendow that accepts them. Im on Ord Mantell as a trooper if it helps you help me find a vendor. Also i got the color changing stone for preordering and was wondering if it was a one time deal or if i could equip and unequip it when necessary. Thats all thanks.

#2 Edited by Barrock (3545 posts) -

1. The vendors in Ord Mantell are located in the large town near the fast travel guy and the armor/weapon vendors. There's a small corner where all the vendors are located. The Commendations vendor is on the outer section. The NPC's title is Specialties Vendor or something like that.

2. The color changing stone can be used with orange items and can be used as many times as you like as long as you properly remove the item before replacing it. I don't believe the table is required to do any of that.

#3 Posted by Silver-Streak (1369 posts) -

As of right now, Modification tables have no use. You can do all modifications by ctrl+rightclicking the item.

Also, while they're currently disabled due to a pricing bug, if you destroy your black/yellow preorder crystal, there is(will be) a vendor in the space station that will sell you a new one if your account has a code registered on it.

#4 Posted by Iron_Past (172 posts) -

Also, I think my crystal says I have to be level 7 before I can use it, so you may have to wait just a little bit.

#5 Posted by Brodehouse (10077 posts) -

I struggled to understand this, so i'll use this topic in case anyone else is.

Orange colored weapons do not denote rarity or power, it denotes that the item can be fully modded (and re-modded) to stay viable the entire game. Example: I've used my orange blaster rifle from level 10 to 21 by placing new mods in it every few levels. An orange weapon with level 15 blue mods is equal to a level 15 blue weapon.

#6 Posted by project343 (2833 posts) -

@bobcat1794 said:

It says item commendations can be traded at special vendors for items but so far i havent figured out how or atleast havent seen a vendow that accepts them. Im on Ord Mantell as a trooper if it helps you help me find a vendor. Also i got the color changing stone for preordering and was wondering if it was a one time deal or if i could equip and unequip it when necessary. Thats all thanks.

1. Item commendation vendors can be a bit tricky to find on their respective planets. There's a portion of the Imperial/Republic Fleet (the 'capital city' of this game) devoted exclusively to these vendors, just check your map (the quarter called 'Supplies'). There you'll find vendors that accept each planetary commendation, with all the respective goods to purchase.

2. Any items you find that are orange in quality are customizable. If you ctrl+right click on them, you'll open them up and see where you can insert your item mods. A colour crystal is for lightsabers and guns, and will change either the saber's colour or the gun's bullets. Just wait 'till you find that orange item. I believe you get a weapon around level 9 in the trooper's story that should be modifiable. Just make sure you remove the crystal before you sell the weapon in favour of a newer one later down the line.

#7 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

There's a vendor for the 'special color stones' on the space station. And there are level appropriate upgrades, so the color stays viable. At least that's how it was in beta. Since I'm an Artificer, crafting my own stones, I socket +crit - preferably in the color variation red.

#8 Posted by Kiro_LeMark (65 posts) -

As a quick side note, orange items don't stay viable throughout the entire game. An orange item is customizable and thus can be way better than items of comparable level, but orange items that you get as you move into the game (Lv. 19 right now) seem to have a higher base value beyond any mods you move around between the two. Now maybe those new Orange weapons you get for commendations just have a ton of new mods in them and that's making them more powerful, but unless you can make your own mods I would always try to upgrade weapons every 5-6 levels.

#9 Posted by MB (12730 posts) -

@Kiro_LeMark said:

As a quick side note, orange items don't stay viable throughout the entire game. An orange item is customizable and thus can be way better than items of comparable level, but orange items that you get as you move into the game (Lv. 19 right now) seem to have a higher base value beyond any mods you move around between the two. Now maybe those new Orange weapons you get for commendations just have a ton of new mods in them and that's making them more powerful, but unless you can make your own mods I would always try to upgrade weapons every 5-6 levels.

Item levels on oranges change after you replace socketed mods, and some items don't reflect new stats until you equip them. It's a bug. You may see new orange items with higher base values, but that's because they typically have level-appropriate mods already in them, which is nice. I tested this by buying a commendation item that appeared to have higher base stats, removed a couple of the mods in it and put it in my existing orange item, and then the stats were identical.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.